Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

...cohen says someone texted him (i didn't hear who) and basically says, "you have to watch ted lasso, it's one of the greatest shows of all time, watch it tonight."  

I like Ted Lasso but one of the greatest shows of all time? Without creating a detailed list, I imagine it would make my top 10 current shows.  All-time? Aren't we only on episode 11.

Side note: Richmond is a cool town outside of London. I can't say it's worth a day trip but I would recommend staying there or hanging out if you have a reason to be in the area. Fair number of actors and musicians live there not that I ever run across any. Some the Stones and Who have lived there. I can tell they film some outdoor scenes there. No idea if the overall production is there.

22 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

^^^ those two chicks are the same person?

Can someone answer this? I remember the real Keely from that time period. Let's just say she was solidly in the rotation. I am rewatching season 1 and just came into the auction episode and saw green dress chick. Was that a cameo by the actual Keeley?

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Can someone answer this? I remember the real Keely from that time period. Let's just say she was solidly in the rotation. I am rewatching season 1 and just came into the auction episode and saw green dress chick. Was that a cameo by the actual Keeley?

I was really hoping it wouldn't have to come to this but after hitting refresh on this thread for a couple of hours and not getting any replies I finally googled it. It is indeed a cameo. "Bex" is played by Keeley Hazell. So yes, same girl. 

• Hook 'Em 1

good lord, jamie tartt quit Man City? holy fuck that's a bad start to this episode. how in the hell did that make it into the show? i mean shit, at this point i have to assume that he's going to rejoin AFC Richmond, but a young star footballer just quitting one of the biggest clubs in the world "because he found out george harrison died"? the fuck? this is not the start to the season i was hoping for.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

there's suspension of disbelief and then there's Jamie Tartt quitting Manchester Ciry because his dad is hard on him. season two has been really bad so far, and most of it has nothing to do with realistic sporting moves.

Uhh a world class gymnast just bowed out of the Olympics at the last minute because she needed to take care of her mental health.  

• Like 2

One thing I didn't quite understand: Ted and the good doc said...8 straight ties, 0 wins...(and not a peep from 3% owner Rupert, by the way again)...and then in the next scene it seems like a ton of time has lapses (changed seasons from like summer or fall to snow/winter and the doctor has been hired, etc.), and then Jaime makes his surprise debut.

Is this still the season? Off-season? How much time did indeed lapse?

And I'm not spoilering this; if you are clicking on this thread and haven't watched to current-- why are you clicking on this thread?

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

One thing I didn't quite understand: Ted and the good doc said...8 straight ties, 0 wins...(and not a peep from 3% owner Rupert, by the way again)...and then in the next scene it seems like a ton of time has lapses (changed seasons from like summer or fall to snow/winter and the doctor has been hired, etc.), and then Jaime makes his surprise debut.

And I'm not spoilering this; if you are clicking on this thread and haven't watched to current-- why are you clicking on this thread?

Maybe because some people don’t know the new episode is out?   

So

Spoiler

We all thought Roy was gonna walk in on Keely and Jamie instead of her actually flicking her bean to videos of Roy crying, right?

Biggest “no no no omg ok OMG wtf hahaha” moment of episode 2

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

bobby.gif

7 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

No shit. What the fuck?  

hey rex- maybe don't come clicking on the thread after the second episode airs if you haven't watched it yet. i know this is only your 20th year on these forums, so it's understandable that this wouldn't occur to you, but now you know. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, YChang said:

I don’t care what Derka says, another funny episode for me.  

you shouldn't care what i say, and i'm glad you enjoyed it. to each his own. but it still feels a bit like season 4 of community to me, or the last two seasons of R&M- as if the show got new writers who are trying to write the way they think the original writers/show runners would do it, but failing. it feels more like Hydrax Ted Lasso to me than the real thing.

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you shouldn't care what i say, and i'm glad you enjoyed it. to each his own. but it still feels a bit like season 4 of community to me, or the last two seasons of R&M- as if the show got new writers who are trying to write the way they think the original writers/show runners would do it, but failing. it feels more like Hydrax Ted Lasso to me than the real thing.

Fair play, I respect your passion in… everything! Ha. 

Edited by YChang

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Sigh on many levels. I love you and I hate you, but stop being a dipshit spoiler in effort to be the first on the scene. You’re too good for that. 

- Not Rex

13 hours ago, Post Oak said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10994785

Could you please show some discretion and spoiler this shit.  

12 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

You’re a message board vet. You know what spoiler tags are. Use them. 

guys...literally no spoilers have ever been used in this thread. why is it suddenly an issue for you? avoiding threads dedicated to serial TV shows until you've seen the latest episode is SOP and has been forever. whenever a new episode airs i avoid clicking on Big Brother thread, The Challenge thread, the Rick and Morty thread, etc if i haven't watched the new episode. truly, your complaints are baffling to me. don't click on the thread when you haven't seen the latest episode. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Take a fucking hint, Derka. Jesus Christ. JUST USE SPOILER TAGS. It’s not fucking difficult and everyone thinks you’re acting like a dick for not doing it. So either use spoiler tags or deal with the fact that we all think you’re being an asshole.

• Like 1

i'm dealing with it just fine, it's you guys who are flipping out. and no, you and two other guys losing your minds over what is standard practice does not constitute "everyone thinking i'm an asshole". if you care to look up thread you'll see that @DonkeyCigars is just as perplexed as i am. your reaction is truly strange and out of place.

i would ask you to please give a genuine reply to my last post. i truly have no idea why any of you guys has any expectations of spoilers being used. that's not how this has ever worked. you can get as upset as you want to, but it won't change how these threads work.

Edited by shadow_operative

I just finished it. I thought it was a great episode. I am not generally a soccer fan so no problems at all for me in regards to suspension of disbelief. I thought there were some good plot twists. Wasn't as cheesy as last week's. Biggest suspension of disbelief to me is probably Jamie turning into a thoughtful -yet still remarkably stupid- guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

good episode, huge improvement. 

also don’t click on threads when a new episode is out unless you want to read comments about an episode you haven’t seen, like an animal. 

also...spoilers?  this isn’t lost or breaking bad. 

All of this ^.

Back to the telly, and me actually like Roy Kent a lot as a character, but his voice is an affectation right?

Oy, that’s not natural, innit?

(Sorry, been watching w/closed caption. But the voice has a lot of Christian bale as Batman effort going into it, it feels like).

Edited by DonkeyCigars

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

also...spoilers?  this isn’t lost or breaking bad. 

Right. Spoiler tags make even more sense here. Those shows aired at prime time and (at least for LOST) DVR was hardly a thing. Everyone could be expected to see that shit all at the same time. It was live TV. Lasso drops what, early morning? Most people won’t watch it until that evening. 

Spoiler tags exist for this very purpose. I don’t know why it’s so difficult to understand. If you’ve seen a show or movie that others likely haven’t seen yet, and you want to discuss plot details rather than general impressions, spoiler that shit.

23 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Looked to me like it was actual snow from when they were filming, so not something that was written in for a realistic time frame. Cause yeah, 8 games into the season would be around early/mid-October.

4 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Bullshit. When shows drop on a Friday, you don’t expect commentary at 8 AM on that Friday. Derka jumped the gun in some dumbass effort to be first to the table to comment. Or, possibly, intentionally to pick a fight. 

this sounds personal.

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Right. Spoiler tags make even more sense here. Those shows aired at prime time and (at least for LOST) DVR was hardly a thing. Everyone could be expected to see that shit all at the same time. It was live TV. Lasso drops what, early morning? Most people won’t watch it until that evening. 

Spoiler tags exist for this very purpose. I don’t know why it’s so difficult to understand. If you’ve seen a show or movie that others likely haven’t seen yet, and you want to discuss plot details rather than general impressions, spoiler that shit.

eh, no.  i live on the west coast, and apple+ shows come on for me on thursday night at 9pm.  same with disney+.  as soon as i see new posts from popular show threads, i stay away until i've watched the latest episode.  not because i'm worried about "spoilers" (hence my lost/bb comment) but because i assume people are commenting about the new episode, and i won't really understand what they're talking about until i've seen it.  i can wait til i've actually seen it, i have the patience of an adult.

i do the same with netflix/prime shows i'm not caught up on (because gasp, those all drop at once), and if there's a weekly show and i'm behind, i mind the date.  it's not that difficult if you put a little bit of thought into it, we can't hold your hand during every tense moment of your lives.

sidenote, we still haven't mastered the streaming element here on surly, as the hbo max thread has basically turned into the white lotus thread (a show i would like to start but haven't yet).  zero spoiler tags over there, and that's not even the white lotus thread.  now that i have learned this, i will stay away from the hbo max thread until i'm caught up.  i will have to wait to discuss woodstock 99, which was excellent, but that's the type of disappointment and frustration i've come to terms with.

i would like to say agree to disagree, but...

Youre Wrong The West Wing GIF

• Hook 'Em 5

The anti-Jamie storyline seems forced. The team's last direct interaction with him was him opening up and explaining why he's such a prick, and the entire team being super bummed that he was gone. Then, they saw him make the extra pass to beat them. Now he's humbled and embarrassed, and they expect him to go right back to harassing them and want no part of him on the team? Kinda lazy.

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s really simple: if you discuss plot points at a time when most people are likely to not have seen the episode, you’re being a dick. Don’t be a dick. Instead, use the very thing that was invented for that purpose. It’s common fucking Internet courtesy. Y’all aren’t noobs. I don’t understand how the concept of spoiler tags is seemingly so fucking foreign to you.

The fact that the show drops at 9 PM Pacific Thursday means that most of the country won’t see the episode until late Friday. It’s a reasonable assumption that until late Friday, open discussion still relates to the previous session episode. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I don't really think it's that big of a deal dude. As soon as I realized the posts were about the new episode.. Basically 2.5 words in, I stopped reading the thread until I had watched the episode. Nothing to lose our minds over. Spoiler tag talk not going away apparently. Can we just talk about the show?

• Hook 'Em 4