Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

It’s really simple: if you discuss plot points at a time when most people are likely to not have seen the episode, you’re being a dick. Don’t be a dick. Instead, use the very thing that was invented for that purpose. It’s common fucking Internet courtesy. Y’all aren’t noobs. I don’t understand how the concept of spoiler tags is seemingly so fucking foreign to you.

The fact that the show drops at 9 PM Pacific Thursday means that most of the country won’t see the episode until late Friday. It’s a reasonable assumption that until late Friday, open discussion still relates to the previous session episode. 

Jesus Fucking Christ. You are wrong. There is Surly precedent. It has been like this for years. If a show has aired (aka available for public consumption, either one episode drop or a whole seasons drop like Netflix), it’s legal to discuss without spoilers. It’s been like this since Game of Thrones era. Im sorry this upsets you, but if you don’t want to be spoiled, then don’t click on the fucking thread until you’ve watched it, you know, like a rational adult.

The spoiler tags were invented to deal with movie talk when movies just came out, and many people don’t see it right away, and some see it the day of, and it gave those people a safe way to talk about new releases. It has never applied to shows or series. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The anti-Jamie storyline seems forced. The team's last direct interaction with him was him opening up and explaining why he's such a prick, and the entire team being super bummed that he was gone. Then, they saw him make the extra pass to beat them. Now he's humbled and embarrassed, and they expect him to go right back to harassing them and want no part of him on the team? Kinda lazy.

agreed that they shoe-horned it in.  he seemed to grow at the end of last season, and i get that he's immature and regressing, but there were better ways to get him back on the team.  also the whole sam throwing a fit thing was weird, but at least they talked about how weird it was and everyone saw, etc.

there was always friction between jamie and roy, but roy is gone.  there was also his chums fucking with nate, but nate is a coach now, so i doubt that would be an issue.  you'd think they'd want to stop tying.  i'm just glad they cleaned it up - lots of plot setup so far for a comedy. 

and also they need to figure out "nate the coach" because he's way less funny than "nate the neurotic clubhouse attendant" or whatever he was.  and sarah niles is great and was great in catastrophe and trying and i may seek out her other shows.  viewpoint maybe?

as for derka's whole freakout about jamie and how soccer works - i don't care about soccer in ted lasso and care less about it in real life, but it seems like sports is one of the last true meritocracies in the world, and a great player is a great player.  i don't see a world where he quits a top club and then all of a sudden has nowhere to go because he's a "liability".  unless he's out there murdering and raping, he would get offers.  man city could've just punished him for going on a dumb reality show and sent him back to richmond.  i didn't need to see him meeting with his agent/manager.  also his haircut/eyebrow situation is...distracting.

i would say the higgins without an office gag was stupid but i laughed almost every time so what do i know.  also the led zeppelin joke was fantastic and i almost missed it.

Spoiler

fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

agreed that they shoe-horned it in.  he seemed to grow at the end of last season, and i get that he's immature and regressing, but there were better ways to get him back on the team.  also the whole sam throwing a fit thing was weird, but at least they talked about how weird it was and everyone saw, etc.

there was always friction between jamie and roy, but roy is gone.  there was also his chums fucking with nate, but nate is a coach now, so i doubt that would be an issue.  you'd think they'd want to stop tying.  i'm just glad they cleaned it up - lots of plot setup so far for a comedy. 

and also they need to figure out "nate the coach" because he's way less funny than "nate the neurotic clubhouse attendant" or whatever he was.  and sarah niles is great and was great in catastrophe and trying and i may seek out her other shows.  viewpoint maybe?

as for derka's whole freakout about jamie and how soccer works - i don't care about soccer in ted lasso and care less about it in real life, but it seems like sports is one of the last true meritocracies in the world, and a great player is a great player.  i don't see a world where he quits a top club and then all of a sudden has nowhere to go because he's a "liability".  unless he's out there murdering and raping, he would get offers.  man city could've just punished him for going on a dumb reality show and sent him back to richmond.  i didn't need to see him meeting with his agent/manager.  also his haircut/eyebrow situation is...distracting.

i would say the higgins without an office gag was stupid but i laughed almost every time so what do i know.  also the led zeppelin joke was fantastic and i almost missed it.

Reveal hidden contents

fuck off.

Colin Kaepernick ring a bell?

I will admit the nobody wanting Tartt is probably the last realistic thing they have done beyond the whole premise of the show itself.  That said we know Jamie is great from a Richmond perspective but from that conversation with Lasso he made it sound a bit like he was a JAG when it comes to Man C (no shame in that lots of that in the soccer world) so it would be possible that any clubs of notable substance across Europe wouldn't want a JAG with attitude problems, but yea lotta others would.  Call it the Colin Kapernick of Ted Lasso (without the political overtones). 

And agree with HG, not only is that eyebrow thing weird the character just looks shall I say more sickly this year....which may be hand in hand with the EuroDouche look they are going for.

The whole brewing storyline of the good Doc and Ted psychoanalyzing one another is one I look forward to paying off over the remaining episodes.  So far been in size up mode but it's about to break into something deeper.  

I do worry a bit that they are taking Rebecca and Ted down a whole "When Harry Met Sally" path.  Friction/Friends/Confidantes/Lovers/Couple.

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Colin Kaepernick ring a bell?

i considered him, and would offer that he is a very unusual and isolated case.  also if he was a top 5-10 qb, he'd have a job (if he wanted one).  no idea how good jamie is, but they made it seem like he was easily the best player on richmond and was "getting good minutes" on man city.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

this sounds personal.

eh, no.  i live on the west coast, and apple+ shows come on for me on thursday night at 9pm.  same with disney+.  as soon as i see new posts from popular show threads, i stay away until i've watched the latest episode.  not because i'm worried about "spoilers" (hence my lost/bb comment) but because i assume people are commenting about the new episode, and i won't really understand what they're talking about until i've seen it.  i can wait til i've actually seen it, i have the patience of an adult.

i do the same with netflix/prime shows i'm not caught up on (because gasp, those all drop at once), and if there's a weekly show and i'm behind, i mind the date.  it's not that difficult if you put a little bit of thought into it, we can't hold your hand during every tense moment of your lives.

sidenote, we still haven't mastered the streaming element here on surly, as the hbo max thread has basically turned into the white lotus thread (a show i would like to start but haven't yet).  zero spoiler tags over there, and that's not even the white lotus thread.  now that i have learned this, i will stay away from the hbo max thread until i'm caught up.  i will have to wait to discuss woodstock 99, which was excellent, but that's the type of disappointment and frustration i've come to terms with.

i would like to say agree to disagree, but...

Youre Wrong The West Wing GIF

Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

On 7/31/2021 at 1:17 PM, henrygandorf said:

i considered him, and would offer that he is a very unusual and isolated case. 

Barry Bonds ring a bell?

much better episode.  I think it is still A- but better than the C I gave the first episode.  The Sam thing didn’t feel right in the same way the Dani Rojas thing last episode didn’t feel right is my only complaint.  Still could play out differently though because we don’t know how Sam will feel about Tartt now he’s back.  

9 hours ago, tx ind said:

Why is Nate such a dick now?

Also are they setting up Jamie to be a nice guy? When he left the office he was polite and signed a bunch of autographs.

He signed Ted’s kid’s jersey in season 1.  Never was shown to be a dick to the fans.  Going to be interesting to hear the doc’s opinion on him.

Roy is STILL the best character on the show that’s for sure.

41 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

He signed Ted’s kid’s jersey in season 1.  Never was shown to be a dick to the fans.  Going to be interesting to hear the doc’s opinion on him.

Roy is STILL the best character on the show that’s for sure.

He’s not really been a dick to kids. I’m guessing Bc his dad was such an asshole

Thought episode 1 was ok, and loved episode 2.

For those complaining about Tartt not finding a team, here's a real life comparison.  Dude was a City, wore out his welcome, went to Liverpool, bounced around a couple of French teams, to the second division in Italy and now to a newly promoted team (I think) in Turkey.  

Not exactly the same, but not that far out of the realm to be a story on a TV show about a football coach not knowing what offside is coaching a PL/Championship team.

article-2052949-0E81FF2A00000578-718_468

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm interested in seeing how Lasso's writers continue the feel-good stories from Season 1. Season 1 was about individuals changing/growing with Ted being introduced in their life. Since most of the cast returned for season 2, the personal growth stories aren't really there. Or some characters have to regress in order to be saved by Ted again. I think this is why they've made Nate an asshole especially to his team mgr replacement. It wouldn't shock me if we see Nate bully some players that are barely sticking with the team.

Season 2 also loses the fish-out-of-water storyline. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, pied06 said:

Thought episode 1 was ok, and loved episode 2.

For those complaining about Tartt not finding a team, here's a real life comparison.  Dude was a City, wore out his welcome, went to Liverpool, bounced around a couple of French teams, to the second division in Italy and now to a newly promoted team (I think) in Turkey.  

Not exactly the same, but not that far out of the realm to be a story on a TV show about a football coach not knowing what offside is coaching a PL/Championship team.

article-2052949-0E81FF2A00000578-718_468

going from City to Liverpool (and then a bunch of other professional teams in top flight leagues) is not even a little bit comparable to being a young burgeoning star at City who then *literally* can't get a job because every pro team in Europe soured on him for being a quitter. i understand that it's a silly show with a ridiculous premise, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible to take the silliness too far. there are teams in the relegation zone who are going three games in a row without a goal and they want nothing to do with Jamie Tartt because he quit City? come on. the writers should have done a lot better when finding a way to get Tartt back to Richmond.

Edited by shadow_operative

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

going from City to Liverpool (and then a bunch of other professional teams in top flight leagues) is not even a little bit comparable to being a young burgeoning star at City who then *literally* can't get a job because every pro team in Europe soured on him for being a quitter. i understand that it's a silly show with a ridiculous premise, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible to take the silliness too far. there are teams in the relegation zone who are going three games in a row without a goal and they want nothing to do with Jamie Tartt because he quit City? come on. the writers should have done a lot better when finding a way to get Tartt back to Richmond.

aniDerkaLaunch.gif

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm interested in seeing how Lasso's writers continue the feel-good stories from Season 1. Season 1 was about individuals changing/growing with Ted being introduced in their life. Since most of the cast returned for season 2, the personal growth stories aren't really there. Or some characters have to regress in order to be saved by Ted again. I think this is why they've made Nate an asshole especially to his team mgr replacement. It wouldn't shock me if we see Nate bully some players that are barely sticking with the team.

Season 2 also loses the fish-out-of-water storyline. 

yeah, that's a problem with a show like this.  most characters are in a good place and that doesn't support narratives.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Blah blah blah.  Has there been another player quit a team after the start of the season to do a reality series?

I know they said "no one" wanted him, but would bet that a 3rd division team in Italy would take him but that was "beneath" him.  

4 minutes ago, pied06 said:

Blah blah blah.  Has there been another player quit a team after the start of the season to do a reality series?

I know they said "no one" wanted him, but would bet that a 3rd division team in Italy would take him but that was "beneath" him.  

look man, this is a pretty lazy and blatant plot hole, plain and simple. it's okay to admit that. this show is not perfect. you can continue to move the goal posts and rationalize this thing as much as you want to, but all you're doing is showing some blind sense of loyalty to the show which makes it infallible in your eyes. such a weird phenomenon with TV shows, where fans will excuse literally anything once they fall in love with a show, and then lash out at anyone who criticizes any aspect of the show. it's ok to admit, even for a show that's based on a goofy premise, that this one piece of the story makes absolutely zero sense. there's literally zero precedent for it in real life, because again, it makes absolutely zero sense. despite this, i'm certain you will survive, so maybe stop trying to rationalize something that's 100% irrational.

4 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

repeattoyourself.gif.10fdc08b8fc81cd73b83e2e024ab6727.gif

Derka can't suspend belief for a show that has a soccer play who quits to be on a reality show and that might be toxic to other clubs, but the show about a cartoon drunk egomaniac mad scientist who travels through space and other universes, fucking planets and shit - no problemo. 

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RPM said:

Roy isn't a dick, he's just angry. He's always angry and has no filter.

I meant they portrayed Jamie has this fucking prick who thinks so highly of himself and his soccer skills and looks down on everyone he plays with as beneath him BUT they've never shown him being a dick to his fans, especially kids.  Because he had a shitty dad. 

Roy is just the best.

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

look man, this is a pretty lazy and blatant plot hole, plain and simple. it's okay to admit that. this show is not perfect. you can continue to move the goal posts and rationalize this thing as much as you want to, but all you're doing is showing some blind sense of loyalty to the show which makes it infallible in your eyes. such a weird phenomenon with TV shows, where fans will excuse literally anything once they fall in love with a show, and then lash out at anyone who criticizes any aspect of the show. it's ok to admit, even for a show that's based on a goofy premise, that this one piece of the story makes absolutely zero sense. there's literally zero precedent for it in real life, because again, it makes absolutely zero sense. despite this, i'm certain you will survive, so maybe stop trying to rationalize something that's 100% irrational.

there's literally zero precedent for it in real life...

• Two American D2 college coaches become the entire staff of a PL squad
  • A team runs an American football play during a game for a set piece
  • There's a starting defender who looks like he should be part of a pizza buffet commercial and not a premier league team
  • A guy is so good at darts he can get behind just enough so he can win it with the last three throws with two whatever 20s and a bullseye
  • The kit guy becomes an assistant coach during a season

There's PLENTY that there is literally zero precedent for, including some of the biggest points of the show.  I just don't know how this part tips the scale for you.

This show is written for EVERYONE, not just sports or more particularly EPL fans.  They needed to set up the point that Jamie was at the bottom and his only route back was with Ted.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I don't think S1 hit its stride until about Ep4.   So far so good.  There's still plenty of moments I love.  

Agree with this. I watched through one episode at a time to start but as I got about halfway through, I was binging multiple episodes at a time. I think I watched the last 3 or 4 in succession until 3 in the morning or something over Xmas to close it out.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

No, it’s not. He clearly wasn’t doing well, he clearly quit on his team to do a reality show, and his agent clearly was pushing him the direction of personality over player. Sure he probably could have taken a low level job, but the agent was pushing him towards the other opportunity because it was better financially and a better fit with his personality. There is an explanation that you should be fine with and you can move on. I’m not sure how you’re stuck on this and not the dog getting killed in the first episode as potential plot problems, but you do you.

If you cannot move on, can you at least shut the fuck up about it? It’s a comedy and a pretty good one in comparison to other things on TV. If you need more realistic sports, I would like to refer you to watch actual fucking soccer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Roy Kent needs to write better parts for himself then in that case.  Character is cool, but he has a batman voice and just boring playing the stereotypical " ex athlete adjusting to normal life"

Hoping it picks up....recycling Jaime is kind of boring. 

Why is everyone in here arguing about spoilers?  This isn't GoT, Breaking Bad, LOST category of a show....it's a sitcom.

Wish it was released all at once so I can binge and wrap it up in a weekend.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Roy Kent needs to write better parts for himself then in that case.  Character is cool, but he has a batman voice and just boring playing the stereotypical " ex athlete adjusting to normal life"

Hoping it picks up....recycling Jaime is kind of boring. 

Why is everyone in here arguing about spoilers?  This isn't GoT, Breaking Bad, LOST category of a show....it's a sitcom.

Wish it was released all at once so I can binge and wrap it up in a weekend.

If you listen to his podcast his voice is very soft.  180 from Roy.

Also his voice comes from a total disgust for humanity outside his niece and Keely not some superhero tough guy bullshit.

It's warranted.

• Hook 'Em 1