Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

jesus christ you people are the absolute worst. you habitually start shit with me over nothing, you have your gay little pos rep circle jerks when you do it, but then you whine about me "derka'ing" the thread. you're completely delusional, and your never ending whine fests fuck up these threads 10x more than anything i post. get over me you goddamn children. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

jesus christ you people are the absolute worst. you habitually start shit with me over nothing, you have your gay little pos rep circle jerks when you do it, but then you whine about me "derka'ing" the thread. you're completely delusional, and your never ending whine fests fuck up these threads 10x more than anything i post. get over me you goddamn children. 

Yes. It’s all about you.

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I hate this thread 

then stop egging on the people who habitually call me out over nothing. you guys do this over and over and over, it's exactly what i just described: you start shit with me over nothing, you egg each other on like it's hilarious, and then you cry about the fact that it happened in the first place. you guys ruin these threads- you do. not me. christ. 

SHUT THE FUCK UP DERKA

Stop gatekeeping who can and can't like this season and why we should all submit your opinions.  Jesus Christ, the internet has truly become the go-to for contrarian people to Debbie Downer everything and beat people over the head with their opinion until we all fucking just give up and agree or disappear entirely. 

I like this show still.  I look forward to Fridays so I can watch it, whether Derka likes it or not.  

Also I fucking laughed at a gif - stop pretending like I'm attacking you.  Jesus. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

On 9/4/2021 at 9:53 AM, BrickHorn said:

All of this criticism of specific characters or plot points is definitely not wrong, but it’s beside the point. The show is just bad now. 

Are you offended that people don't agree with you?

On 9/5/2021 at 5:55 PM, DonkeyCigars said:

I thought “who am I? Don Draper” coming from Ted sitting on the couch was funny, until that “getting comfy on the couch” bit lasted too long and got cringe.

I thought it was great.  It showed how just absolutely up in his head Ted is.  Doc was learning a lot about him there.

40 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

then stop egging on the people who habitually call me out over nothing. you guys do this over and over and over, it's exactly what i just described: you start shit with me over nothing, you egg each other on like it's hilarious, and then you cry about the fact that it happened in the first place. you guys ruin these threads- you do. not me. christ. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i guess i just don't really know what the point of this season is.  you had a nice positive thread throughout the first season that worked with the fish out of water thing that created a nice set of challenges for the protagonist to power through using basic decency.  the jokes were funny, but the bigger packaging was really the part of the show that made it attractive.  this season i can't really sum up.  i think that is why i'm not really enjoying this season: i don't know what i'm watching for.  

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

i guess i just don't really know what the point of this season is.  you had a nice positive thread throughout the first season that worked with the fish out of water thing that created a nice set of challenges for the protagonist to power through using basic decency.  the jokes were funny, but the bigger packaging was really the part of the show that made it attractive.  this season i can't really sum up.  i think that is why i'm not really enjoying this season: i don't know what i'm watching for.  

You're watching because it's a three season series.  Season 1 was setting up the characters, season 2 is about their conflicts/personal issues and struggles so it will end and be resolved  in season 3.  Think the story arc will be pretty predictable, but spoilering just in case.

Spoiler

Season 2, they make the Cup final, probably win, but end outside of promotion.  The positive trajectory keeps the guys in tact.  

Season 3 they gain promotion and Ted leaves for something else and everyone live happily ever after.

If they don't struggle this season there's less to do next season and the focus is different.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, pied06 said:

You're watching because it's a three season series.  Season 1 was setting up the characters, season 2 is about their conflicts/personal issues and struggles so it will end and be resolved  in season 3.  Think the story arc will be pretty predictable, but spoilering just in case.

Hide contents

Season 2, they make the Cup final, probably win, but end outside of promotion.  The positive trajectory keeps the guys in tact.  

Season 3 they gain promotion and Ted leaves for something else and everyone live happily ever after.

If they don't struggle this season there's less to do next season and the focus is different.

Yeah I kind of figured for season 2 (the rest) and season 3:

Spoiler

Season 2: win the FA Cup but just miss promotion

Season 3: get promoted, Rebecca sells the club (they hinted at this in a previous season 2 episode) and Ted hands it off to Roy and goes back to the U.S. when a major college football program offers him a job

• Hook 'Em 1

I love the show, but the episode last Friday was easily the worst of the series.  Add that with S2E1 and the nonsensical Xmas episode, and it's certainly struggling with deciding what it wants to do.  WIth only a 3 season show i expected a bit more focus and resolve, and yes, i really just wanted more of season 1.  All that said, there has been enough of the season 1 magic in season 2 to keep me engaged.  

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Are you offended that people don't agree with you?

Yep. I’m the one who’s offended. The one who makes this discussion personal with ad hominem attacks like “This show is bad,” not those who respond with unemotional logic like “Fuck the haters!” and “Maybe you should go watch something else!” 

Sarcasm aside, the differing views do not offend me at all. I just find the psychology of people defending something that has so clearly fallen off in quality fascinating. Viewers decided they love Ted Lasso (which I completely understand based on the tremendous Season 1; I was completely on board just a few weeks ago). “Ted Lasso Fan” became part of their identity, and most will not easily abandon it merely because the show is now bad. Instead, they’ll grasp a series of incompatible rationales to justify their continued loyalty to the show. But if the poor quality continues, people come around and quietly drop off the bandwagon. It’s a common phenomenon.

Same shit happened with Charlie Strong. A few recognized very early on that the dude was a disaster and doing all the wrong things. They caught hell about it for a couple of seasons until the on-field results made it impossible to deny the truth, and enough people jumped off the bandwagon such that it was safe to jettison “Charlie Strong Enthusiast” from one’s self-identity. Now it’s impossible to find a Longhorn fan that will admit to defending the dude, but they exist and were the majority on the Longhorn Internets until a few games into Strong’s third year. 

But we’ll see. Maybe the show will turn around. Maybe my subjective take is way off from the mainstream. Maybe the majority just honestly likes incoherent, poorly-written, genre-drifting TV programs. Perhaps my insufferable armchair psychology (yes, I get it) will inspire y’all to double down and keep raving about bad TV just to prove a point. My best guess, however, is that the best days of Lasso are in the rear view mirror and this thread will be a ghost town for Season 3.

In the meantime, enjoy the ride. And for God’s sake don’t let my personal opinion affect your enjoyment of the show. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Yep. I’m the one who’s offended. The one who makes this discussion personal with ad hominem attacks like “This show is bad,” not those who respond with unemotional logic like “Fuck the haters!” and “Maybe you should go watch something else!” 

Sarcasm aside, the differing views do not offend me at all. I just find the psychology of people defending something that has so clearly fallen off in quality fascinating. Viewers decided they love Ted Lasso (which I completely understand based on the tremendous Season 1; I was completely on board just a few weeks ago). “Ted Lasso Fan” became part of their identity, and most will not easily abandon it merely because the show is now bad. Instead, they’ll grasp a series of incompatible rationales to justify their continued loyalty to the show. But if the poor quality continues, people come around and quietly drop off the bandwagon. It’s a common phenomenon.

Same shit happened with Charlie Strong. A few recognized very early on that the dude was a disaster and doing all the wrong things. They caught hell about it for a couple of seasons until the on-field results made it impossible to deny the truth, and enough people jumped off the bandwagon such that it was safe to jettison “Charlie Strong Enthusiast” from one’s self-identity. Now it’s impossible to find a Longhorn fan that will admit to defending the dude, but they exist and were the majority on the Longhorn Internets until a few games into Strong’s third year. 

But we’ll see. Maybe the show will turn around. Maybe my subjective take is way off from the mainstream. Maybe the majority just honestly likes incoherent, poorly-written, genre-drifting TV programs. Perhaps my insufferable armchair psychology (yes, I get it) will inspire y’all to double down and keep raving about bad TV just to prove a point. My best guess, however, is that the best days of Lasso are in the rear view mirror and this thread will be a ghost town for Season 3.

In the meantime, enjoy the ride. And for God’s sake don’t let my personal opinion affect your enjoyment of the show. 

You're a wanker.

• Haha 1

Holy hell, some of you are just a bunch of shit asses. No one cares whether you think it’s great, not great, was great, never was great, etc. and you sure don’t need to type the same exact thing after each and every episode. Quit evaluating S1 versus S2 week after week. If it’s not a good show, stop watching. If you’re still intrigued, talk about what’s going on and where it’s going.

This thread just needs Roy GIF’s with his elongated “fucks” at this point as that is basically the only response to these constant season versus season debates. This was NEVER going to live up to S1, it was the right show at the right time with the right characters.

Nate - this turn was easily seen, he got beat up by the players, his dad doesn’t respect him, so once he gets a little notoriety/power it goes to his head. It was cringeworthy this week though as it crossed the line and just wasn’t funny.

Ted - hits bottom last week, psych is going to help him resolve his issues, team wins, he goes back home at some point.

Rebecca - they have made her too cheery, the brooding version was entertaining. Not sure where they are going with her, what really happens when she figures out it is Sam she is texting? Ted made more sense.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

I love the show, but the episode last Friday was easily the worst of the series.  Add that with S2E1 and the nonsensical Xmas episode, and it's certainly struggling with deciding what it wants to do.  WIth only a 3 season show i expected a bit more focus and resolve, and yes, i really just wanted more of season 1.  All that said, there has been enough of the season 1 magic in season 2 to keep me engaged.  

tedlassogifs-ted-lasso.gif

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I love everything you just said and think you are brilliant for having said it.

I would like, however, like to formally go on record and admit, I was a Charlie Strong defender even into Season 3-- up until Kansas-- and cannot deny it.

38 minutes ago, Brew said:

Holy hell, some of you are just a bunch of shit asses. No one cares whether you think it’s great, not great, was great, never was great, etc. and you sure don’t need to type the same exact thing after each and every episode. Quit evaluating S1 versus S2 week after week. If it’s not a good show, stop watching. If you’re still intrigued, talk about what’s going on and where it’s going.

This thread just needs Roy GIF’s with his elongated “fucks” at this point as that is basically the only response to these constant season versus season debates. This was NEVER going to live up to S1, it was the right show at the right time with the right characters.

Nate - this turn was easily seen, he got beat up by the players, his dad doesn’t respect him, so once he gets a little notoriety/power it goes to his head. It was cringeworthy this week though as it crossed the line and just wasn’t funny.

Ted - hits bottom last week, psych is going to help him resolve his issues, team wins, he goes back home at some point.

Rebecca - they have made her too cheery, the brooding version was entertaining. Not sure where they are going with her, what really happens when she figures out it is Sam she is texting? Ted made more sense.

Excellent use of shit asses.

Ted Lasso season 1 was one of the greatest seasons of comedy television ever. Unique premise, unique characters, and anchored by Ted’s eternal optimism at a time when the world desperately needed something to be happy about. That’s an incredibly high bar to replicate in subsequent seasons.

Season 2 is still very good in my opinion, even if it falls short of season 1. It has plenty of funny moments and I look forward to watching it more than any other active show on TV right now. That doesn’t make me a Ted Lasso fanboy who is blind to its flaws. It just makes me someone who likes to laugh for about 30 minutes a week.

There are about 3 posters here who seem insistent on convincing everyone else that Ted Lasso season 2 sucks. I guess y’all are very binary people - it would either be the same as season 1 or it would suck. There couldn’t possibly be an in between. It’s fine to express your opinions but y’all keep repeating the same shit as if you’re expecting to convince the rest of us to agree with your negativity.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scary Stranger said:

Excellent use of shit asses.

Another very watchable 30 minutes of television. I think I will probably tire of it half way through a second season, but I’m still going to watch just because it’s so different while more culturally relevant than almost all of the other bullshit on TV.

3 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

There are about 3 posters here who seem insistent on convincing everyone else that Ted Lasso season 2 sucks.

I’m not any more interested in persuading you to my perspective than I am offended by the positive reviews on this thread. 

It’s like y’all have never witnessed a subjective debate before and don’t understand that people think through their own reactions to art by discussing them with other human beings who may not necessarily agree. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s like y’all have never witnessed a subjective debate before and don’t understand that people think through their own reactions to art by discussing them with other human beings who may not necessarily agree. 

By your own admission, you quit watching as of 9/4. In your art analogy, you are now the guy standing outside a museum telling everyone else who goes in and out that the art inside sucks, even though you haven’t seen all of the art in the museum. You will keep proclaiming the museum is full of shitty art, hoping people will agree with you, despite the fact that the museum keeps adding new exhibits that you have no intention of viewing.

It sounds like a miserable way to spend your time. If you hate this show so much, why not move onto something you actually enjoy? Isn’t life better when you focus on things you like instead of things you don’t like? I’m sure there’s an FBoy Island thread somewhere.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

By your own admission, you quit watching as of 9/4. In your art analogy, you are now the guy standing outside a museum telling everyone else who goes in and out that the art inside sucks, even though you haven’t seen all of the art in the museum.

That’s a shitty analogy, based on a flawed assumption (specifically that I will comment on the episodes I don’t see). A better metaphor is a movie critic who watched the first two Star Wars prequels and said “Im a huge fan of the original movies but these suck, and I’m not going to bother to watch the next one.” 

I think your mistake is in assuming preference is binary. Rather, the degree and reasons each of us enjoyed Season 1 are likely different, and thus the tolerance for change in Season 2 is also different. This is made clear by several who have explained that they simply have lower expectations for than the show than I, for example, do. If you are only in it for quick brainless jokes, I can see how both seasons would satisfy. If you enjoy more nuanced references and character development, there’s an obvious difference in the seasons.

I will admit Im bummed by Brian Grubb feigning ignorance to these discussions. He now just looks like a shill getting paid to do his reviews. That was probably obvious to others all along, but not so apparent to me until now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

this reads a lot like someone who's trying to convince himself that quitting was the correct move.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

this reads a lot like someone who's trying to convince himself that quitting was the correct move.

Why would I do that? I can always go back and catch up, which I’d be willing to do if discerning reviewers indicate that the show rebounded over the next five episodes. Hell, I hope it DOES rebound. I’m just no longer planning to sit through each episode on the vain hope that it will. I’ve seen enough (5-6 bad episodes out of 7) to convince me that a return to form is unlikely; subsequent evidence could change that assessment. If that’s the case, I’ll come back to it and admit I was pleasantly surprised by the recovery.

So.... what would be the over-under percentage of "actual episodic discussion" vs "whinging that people don't share your opinion"?

*Use of "whinging" intentional due to the show's fictional location.

I'm thinking 40% actual.

And to bump up content, I actually have enjoyed every episode so far for the humor, the human element, the fish-out-of-water story arc, and the occasional footie. It's a fun little escape. It's not supposed to be Dostoevsky.

I found the pub they use for exterior shots. Looks like a fun place for a pint.

I even wore my AFC Richmond t-shirt this past weekend

This post needs more Bert.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Since everyone else is throwing out their opinions, I'll just say this: I thought season 1 was pretty good. I think season 2 is pretty good.

I can easily name 15-20 shows that had a funnier season than Lasso season 1. That's not a knock on Ted Lasso, it's just that season 1 was not the "end all be all" of TV comedy. If you want to say that season 1 had comedy and drama, I'll say that the only show that ever pulled off both of those elements successfully was Louie. And again that's not a knock on Ted Lasso, it's just not Louie.

I'm enjoying this season just as much as the last. I still laugh for 20 minutes, I still walk away with a happy feeling, and I still want to see what happens to the characters.

And if someone green lights a Roy Kent prequel, I'm in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Why would I do that? I can always go back and catch up, which I’d be willing to do if discerning reviewers indicate that the show rebounded over the next five episodes. Hell, I hope it DOES rebound. I’m just no longer planning to sit through each episode on the vain hope that it will. I’ve seen enough (5-6 bad episodes out of 7) to convince me that a return to form is unlikely; subsequent evidence could change that assessment. If that’s the case, I’ll come back to it and admit I was pleasantly surprised by the recovery.

I’ll do you a favor and message you if it gets better so you don’t have to keep checking this thread.

People have different senses of humor. I recall people not laughing or getting Arrested Development when I thought the original seasons were about as creative and funny as any show could get. The Netflix seasons, not so much. When I watched Jackass, I enjoyed some of the shows but not enough to go out of my way to watch it.

I find aspects of Ted Lasso funny but I know others laugh out loud or repeat the jokes with friends. I was at a party this weekend some of the guests started repeating some saying/joke. I asked what that was from and they told me about a show on AppleTV+ about an American coach for a UK soccer team. I have zero recollection about that joke from 3 episodes ago. It just didn't reasonate with me. 

I still think of Ted Lasso as my top 5 shows to watch each week but I wouldn't place it as an all time great. Unfortunately I think the show will burn out quickly unless they can find new story arcs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Save your breath. You are too intelligent for half the people who are trying to argue with you. Just be content that you are right, you don't have to get them to understand why you are right and it's just going in circles.

But it is kinda funny to see the Ted Lasso show thread turn into a thread discussing the merits of season 1 vs season 2 and more of a debate thread.

In season 1, I looked forward to the next episode because I knew a great episode was coming out.  In season 2, I look forward to Friday because I hope a great episode is coming out.  I still like this show (and love the Roy character)...but it has lost some consistency, IMO.

Edited by morehornsepower
  • Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

But it is kinda funny to see the Ted Lasso show thread turn into a thread discussing the merits of season 1 vs season 2 and more of a debate thread.

That doesn’t seem odd to me at all. It seems like the whole point of a discussion thread about a show is to, you know, discuss the show. Good, bad, neutral. The idea that only positive opinions are welcome is what’s funny to me.

But I have to say that reaction has made this thread infinitely more interesting to me. Come for the Ted Lasso discussion, stay for the fascinating window into the psychology of cults. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

So.... what would be the over-under percentage of "actual episodic discussion" vs "whinging that people don't share your opinion"?

*Use of "whinging" intentional due to the show's fictional location.

I'm thinking 40% actual.

And to bump up content, I actually have enjoyed every episode so far for the humor, the human element, the fish-out-of-water story arc, and the occasional footie. It's a fun little escape. It's not supposed to be Dostoevsky.

I found the pub they use for exterior shots. Looks like a fun place for a pint.

I even wore my AFC Richmond t-shirt this past weekend

3fbb9e75643dc5a670c7a7af5d7e59f30bcca951

Edited by DDD Dad

Well so much for that fucking FA Cup run. Solid episode they packed a lot in. Man Jamie’s dad is a cunt. Good predictions that that situation was what was freaking Ted earlier.

Almost everybody is suddenly in some level of disarray except Rebecca and Sam who both spent much of last year in disarray. I guess Higgins is fine and Roy’s thing is minor.