Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

Wife and I held off on last week’s because after all I heard, I was afraid she’d hate it so wanted to have this week’s to roll right after into if she did.

I think she had no real issues with the Beard episode, which I thought was fantastic. This week’s was a gut punch, multiple times. Thought it was great too. The eulogy wasn’t my favorite part but loved Rebecca’s mom not knowing Rick Astley was actually a white guy at the end.

Anyway, that was a very enjoyable 1-2 punch of Lasso tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Some other thoughts. 

They've ruined Nate.  I definitely need more Sassy.  I could do without this Jamie and Keely thing.

Beard is best in small doses.

I feel like they're trying to get to many actors/storylines touches.   

I cracked up when Sassy and Keeley saw each other at the funeral. I liked the episode a lot, but they just need to extend this to 5+ seasons. There is no way to fit everything in to another season + a couple of episodes, and we need more soccer.

• Hook 'Em 1

That's how much this is not a show about soccer.  The team went 18-2-2 and it was a background thing someone caught in the locker room.  
Definitely going to be promoted and it won't be even a top storyline. Hell, I'd imagine some combo of
Spoiler

a promotion being announced + the gut punch to Ted of Nate leaving (to join Rupert's new club) and taking several Richmond players

would make a hell of a finale. 

Your spoiler was the exact thing I said when he strangely gave up the shares.

That’s gotta be a S3 plot device.

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Rupert getting rid of any family shares in Richmond would as others have posited be a move he would need to make in order to take an ownership stake in another club.

The other part of me thinks that this show only goes 3 seasons like currently signed and as a way to write him off with too many other story lines to close up.

This episode sucked. Not funny and the part that was interesting emotionally got hijacked and bisected with Rebecca's cribbing about her dad. Nobody cares about her mom and her relationship and her dad's philandering. 

At this point I'm rooting for Jaime to come in like a wrecking ball and nuke the status quo with Roy/Keeley and Rupert to reveal his big bad plan which should have been revealed in episodes 2 or 3 already.

Also the Rick rolling, both times, was so stupid and cringe at how try hard that fail was. I get that every week the writers are trying to glom on to some popular or cultural movement in time and make it a motif, but this one wasn't even close to the target of funny or well executed.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

Intermingling the suicide and affair backstories was a poor artistic choice, IMO. Very cringe for me

Hyping Sam with the reveal to the other girls, only to break it up was a curveball.

Dani didn’t try on shoes for fit?

Teds trashed apartment? Was that supposed to be a symptom of the depression? Because he was singing and crashed like an hour earlier.

Is stalking Rebecca from a closet waiting for a walk by a thing? What?

Sassy ditched her kid at a funeral for a hookup

There were still hearty laughs and dusty eyes, but generally meh for me. I thought/hoped we’d turned the corner for the season, but this felt like just another detour

• Hook 'Em 1

Intermingling the suicide and affair backstories was a poor artistic choice, IMO. Very cringe for me

Hyping Sam with the reveal to the other girls, only to break it up was a curveball.

Dani didn’t try on shoes for fit?

Teds trashed apartment? Was that supposed to be a symptom of the depression? Because he was singing and crashed like an hour earlier.

Is stalking Rebecca from a closet waiting for a walk by a thing? What?

Sassy ditched her kid at a funeral for a hookup

There were still hearty laughs and dusty eyes, but generally meh for me. I thought/hoped we’d turned the corner for the season, but this felt like just another detour

Yeah this episode to me was not great. Felt like a lot of misses. Dani’s shoe thing was annoying. I didn’t really get the Rick roll in the funeral. That said it’s still appointment TV for me and I’m in for the long haul.

2 hours ago, jeevsie said:

You do acknowledge that you're in the minority with your opinion, though? Right? 

edit: that response was for DC. Lurch snuck in there.

Lurch probably better and more elegantly stated my opinion. I guess my first instinct was to trash it when really it was meh/fine, not horrible. Basically just more of the same sans Beard After Dark.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

10 hours ago, Lurch said:

subject matter aside, i hate when shows do this (one character in another scene finishing sentences back and forth, etc).  the subject matter made something bad into something worse, but this is a tired bit and i continue to not like it wherever it pops up. 

archer does it all the time, and i typically ignore it because it's intentional absurdist comedy, but they have 50 bits that are stronger.  

55 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

subject matter aside, i hate when shows do this (one character in another scene finishing sentences back and forth, etc).  the subject matter made something bad into something worse, but this is a tired bit and i continue to not like it wherever it pops up. 

archer does it all the time, and i typically ignore it because it's intentional absurdist comedy, but they have 50 bits that are stronger.  

Yeah, I found it very Archer-esque

Thought the episode was good. A slight change of pace setting up the finale. Shows are going to mix it up, just roll with it.

Thought Sassy-Rupert was pretty funny as was Keeley vs baby. Loved the shout out to Mix-A-Lot. Even the Rick Roll worked for me.

I did think the Jamie-Keeley thing was out of left field. While it was kind of setup a little, this was almost out of the blue this season.

8 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

The Dani shoe thing was very much a homage to Agador Spartacus from "The Birdcage". 

5 hours ago, RPM said:

It wasn't the shoe, it was his feet. Any dress shoe is going to make his feet hurt because you can't play football in them.

As somebody who wore dress shoes or loafers every single day for work pre-pandemic, I've found wearing those same shoes are not all that comfortable since I've basically lived in flip flops the last 18 months now that I'm wearing flip-flops 90 percent of the time working from home.

I love every appearance by Rupert. If he showed up too frequently, it would be too much. However its hilarious that every action he takes is a big FU to Rebecca. But obviously giving her his shares plus a side conversation with nate was an obvious tell of what's to come.

Assuming that he steals Nate as his future coach, I really don't think Rebecca would care. Somehow stealing Ted or throwing Ted off balance by poaching Beard, would impact Rebecca. If Nate left, the team wouldn't be impacted. Might be better without him.

And Rebecca's mom method of handling Rupert is the correct advice for Rebecca.

Nate as a head man would be a fucking disaster at this moment.  He still has to fix that thin skin.  But in the arc of him eventually becoming head man at Richmond when the series concludes it would be a make sense step for him to follow the Jamie path of going somewhere else but finding himself at Richmond.

And speaking of Jaimie yea that bit with Keeley seemed heavy handed to me, not to mention a dick move with the last non-Beard episode reaching its emotional climax with Roy hugging him after his run-in with his dad.  But then again Jamie's an immature twat.  

Edited by Surly Bevo