Lovecraft Country

mdmost

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

does this mean i shouldn't point out that lovecraft was racist as fuck?

If you mean he disliked many different races/ethnicities, sure. Blacks, Irish, Germans, etc.

As noted by one of his biographers "Lovecraft's racial attitude was common in the society of his day, especially in the New England in which he grew up".

6 minutes ago, Texas Flood said:

Can't be racist when everyone was doing it duh

The point, dickhead, is that just about every New Englander during that time was a fucking racist.

I was quoting " lovecraft was racist as fuck", which has about as much meaning as "lovecraft drank lots of water". No shit, so did everyone else.

The point, dickhead, is that just about every New Englander during that time was a fucking racist.
I was quoting " lovecraft was racist as fuck", which has about as much meaning as "lovecraft drank lots of water". No shit, so did everyone else.

This is pretty simple. Don’t watch it and let everyone else who is watching it discuss the show without having to wade through your swamp of menstrual blood.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

So did it shove the racism angle down the throat or was it more backgroundy subtext?

I don’t know how you can possibly do subtle, background racism in the time period they’re in and in the uncle’s profession. 

Enjoyed the first ep.
I was worried because the trailers made this look like it was going to be full on acid trip-fantasy-horror.
But the first 45mins was normal story telling, then it got good weird. Enjoying the main cast so far.
Waiting for Peele’s wild plot ideas to reveal like the movie Us...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 8/17/2020 at 6:32 AM, mr. sunshine said:

This. Also Jurnee Smollett appears to be a fine MFer

Always has been

Thoroughly enjoyed the first ep (in no small part due to Jurnee).   Its Peele so there will be plenty of social commentary and I love that.   I also liked that the uncle is helping with the Green Book.   Bits of little known history mixed into stories have always been something I like seeing.    Looking forward to where this takes us.

Edited by d2o

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

I did not know that she was Juicy Smoolieyay’s sister. 

Yeah she was famous long before he was actually.   Been in movies since she was kid.   I think Eve's Bayou was her first movie.

That whole bit with the ghost car heroics straight out of The Wraith sure seemed to get weirdly glossed over when they were talking about it after the fact. 

But I don't know whether that all makes it more or less likely that the story takes place in a strange world. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

I don’t know the backstory on this show or purpose.

So is this show supposed to be separate mini-stories that will not be connected? Like is episode 2 the end of that whole Order, monsters, Ardham stuff? And now a new story starts..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, episode 2 seemed to have way too much going on and crammed into it. While I like the soundtrack, it does take me out of the era. I guess there were only so many protest songs of the era they could use for the soundtrack (Strange Fruit). 

10 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

I don’t know the backstory on this show or purpose.

So is this show supposed to be separate mini-stories that will not be connected? Like is episode 2 the end of that whole Order, monsters, Ardham stuff? And now a new story starts..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know anything of the source material either and this is the vibe I get after episode 2.  Them traveling around getting into various forms of trouble with the overall plot being uncovering his ancestral secrets.