Lovecraft Country

mdmost

55 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Very intense and jam-packed two episodes.  I have tried to keep up with the HBO official podcast (Lovecraft Country Radio) but the two hosts are a bit of a beating.

Yeah, I listened to the first episode after half-ass watching the first TV episode.  Made me go back and watch the show again because I'd missed a lot.  I'm not going to listen to any further podcasts because they're awful - rage-a-holic would really enjoy the podcasts, though. 

I really like that the racists are northern racists as opposed to the same southern racists that every other story likes to portray as holding a monopoly on this country's racists. 

• Haha 1

Just finished up Episode 2 and got caught up on this thread. I agree with others that it was a mess and felt rushed, but more than that it felt like they left whole scenes on the chopping board during final editing. The lack of continuity between scenes was a real distraction and I kept feeling like I'd missed something.

Also, like others, I don't really know anything about the source material. Was this a book? All I know about Lovecraft is his invention of Cthulhu and other freaky monsters. It felt like watching a movie based on a novel where they jumped too quickly between chapters to cram so much in. 

Just finished up Episode 2 and got caught up on this thread. I agree with others that it was a mess and felt rushed, but more than that it felt like they left whole scenes on the chopping board during final editing. The lack of continuity between scenes was a real distraction and I kept feeling like I'd missed something.
Also, like others, I don't really know anything about the source material. Was this a book? All I know about Lovecraft is his invention of Cthulhu and other freaky monsters. It felt like watching a movie based on a novel where they jumped too quickly between chapters to cram so much in. 

The credits said it was based on a novel.

The first episode was good, even by normal (i.e., non-pilot) standards, but the second episode felt like watching the season finale of several different shows all at once without having seen any of the necessary precursors.

Did anyone else watch that bizarre show on AMC "Dispatches From Elsewhere"? Our household called it "Strange Things Happen To People" for about 5-6 episodes before abandoning ship because it was just incomprehensible spaghettiplot of loosely connected and unexplained plot devices. That's what E2 reminded me of - someone handed a script to an editor with a hidden amphetamine problem and nobody double checked or fixed anything before releasing it to the public.

18 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The first episode was good, even by normal (i.e., non-pilot) standards, but the second episode felt like watching the season finale of several different shows all at once without having seen any of the necessary precursors.

Did anyone else watch that bizarre show on AMC "Dispatches From Elsewhere"? Our household called it "Strange Things Happen To People" for about 5-6 episodes before abandoning ship because it was just incomprehensible spaghettiplot of loosely connected and unexplained plot devices. That's what E2 reminded me of - someone handed a script to an editor with a hidden amphetamine problem and nobody double checked or fixed anything before releasing it to the public.

I watched several episodes then bailed as well.  Too strange for me.

On 8/25/2020 at 5:32 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Just finished E2 and I thought the exact same thing.  I stopped it about halfway through to make sure the series was indeed every Sunday and not a nightly episodic series.  I honestly thought I had just skipped over several episodes.    

That was a complete mess.  

On 8/27/2020 at 9:42 PM, Chet Steadman said:

Just finished E2 and I thought the exact same thing.  I stopped it about halfway through to make sure the series was indeed every Sunday and not a nightly episodic series.  I honestly thought I had just skipped over several episodes.    

That was a complete mess.  

I just did this. I felt clueless

What's going on with Hippolyta?

Spoiler

Has she been "possessed" by Winthrop? Early in the episode we see her tearing out the pages of a book. Later, she finds the golden solar system thingy. Finally, she has strong doubts about George's death. Something's going on there.

Then, there's the uncertain question about whether they know the house remains haunted and whether they really don't know what happened to the white supremacists shown after the elevator's decent into a magical lower realm. Do they even know about that place and that elevator goes that far down?

This weekends EP is already streaming because Labor Day. 

The tit ratio in the episode was higher than previous ones. But so was the dick ratio. 

Also, I realize this show is premised on magic and monsters being real. I get it.  But the tunnel at the end of the episode must have been connected to a wormhole. At least they addressed it, even if the answer was just “I don’t know.”

This weekends EP is already streaming because Labor Day. 

The tit ratio in the episode was higher than previous ones. But so was the dick ratio. 

Also, I realize this show is premised on magic and monsters being real. I get it.  But the tunnel at the end of the episode must have been connected to a wormhole. At least they addressed it, even if the answer was just “I don’t know.”

Dude, it’s not even Sunday.

I don't think he sucks, he's just overhyped at least on the horror side.  I think Key & Peele comedy is great, and his foray into horror has been fine.  Nothing genius level though, imo.  I liked both Get Out and Us.  Just liked.  Horror rarely gets mass appeal, so yeah the masses are way overhyped on him, but the genre is pretty much relegated to indie films or Saw like franchises, so I guess more attention is probably a good thing?

How involved is he in this show?

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Want to like it but it's not really hooking me.  I liked the first episode but 3&4 have been at best just okay to me, and 2 was a complete disaster.  The Sons of Adam isn't really doing it for me either.

Agree. I am not digging that Sons of Adam stuff

I felt the whole episode tonight was just about pushing the envelope and shocking the audience. Look what's going on on the south side! We have men dressing as women, gay sex, sexy dancing, straight black person sex, and not going much of anywhere with the boring code, magic spells, and love story that doesn't move me.

My beloved likes it, so I'll stay in. I'm not really a big fan of supernatural shows in general. There's just not that much interesting on at the moment.

I will admit to enjoying the hell out of the Komisky Method and Grace and Frankie. I thought Grace and Frankie would be just a racier Golden Girls, but it's quite good. Not perfect. Arkin and Douglas in Komisky are fantastic.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it. I think Jordan Peele does interesting work and has interesting ideas, but in execution they don't always play out as smoothly as I'd like. Perhaps some of my hesitation is because I thought the premise of the show was going to be the main characters road tripping around the US and running into weirdness as they search for Tic's dad, but that storyline was done in the second episode. I'm not sure how the supernatural stuff is going to play out if everything happens in Chicago - for example, WTF is going to happen with this Ruby/Hillary story now? Will Ruby never see the boss around town or in the store she loves?

I do think the Christina/William thing is one of the more interesting plotlines and I want to see how it plays out. Are they trying to make us feel some sympathy for Christina and get Ruby to empathize with her? Although Christina obviously has the upper hand, being a white girl who's also a sorceress, she has probably faced discrimination associated with just being a woman in the 50s. Being able to walk around as a white guy probably gets her into places she couldn't go before and gets her information she couldn't get as a woman. Plus, is she queer? Is one of the reasons she likes being William so she can be with women openly? 

Anyway, I'll finish out the season. I'm hoping they can smooth some of the rough edges. The show could be great if it's done right.

Thanks for all the spoiler tags! 

I'm still wondering whether this is worth continuing. Mrs. Doom is likely going to require some persuasion - are episodes 5 and 6 more of the same disjointed "make shit up as you go along"/"what the fuck is this show?" or does the story eventually begin to coalesce? 

I probably have just one more shot at getting her to stick with it, and I'm not too far behind her - I'm just a little less willing to give up on it, though not by a ton... 

On 9/28/2020 at 10:07 AM, mdmost said:

I really enjoyed last night's episode as well. It was pretty good sci-fi. Probably should've thrown the dead cop's body into the time portal. Next week looks to be back to the horror genre. 

Is it bad that that was my FIRST thought??   Obviously, that is gonna come back and bite them.   Great ep overall though.

Edited by d2o