2021 F David Joplin

texifornia

3 hours ago, realgreggym said:

I have no idea what this means but I like your previous post. Any updates on Collins or do you think thats a done deal. 

collins has been locked in for a while now although he has started to take ou talks very seriously recently 

i dont think the have enough time to flip him but they r making him think 

he should announce sometimes before the end of august or early september 

• Fuck You 1

1) Joplin isn't going to be a 5 star but he's going to be right near the composite top 100 once ESPN updates their rankings. Rivals just bumped him up to #112 and Evans still thinks he's probably ranked too low. I don't think the composite has calculated his bump in the Rivals rankings yet. 

2) Joplin is a very good get and one of the best shooting "bigs" Texas had landed under Shaka. So if you've been bitching about shooting you should like Joplin. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

da fook u talking about joplin is going to be a 5*

despite what @Shadow Operative says texas chose him over kj adams 

Joplin shot 38.5% from 3 in his JR year. Probably going to be over 40% if Joplin gets to play his SR season. 

I can't find any stats for KJ Adams but it would be interesting to compare. The big knock with Adams is perimeter shooting. Which is why the Adams vs Joplin discussion is funny to me. KJ Adams is the exact type recruit that we've been taking (i.e. athletic freak with limitations from a shooting perspective) whereas Joplin is the exact type that Texas fans have been begging Shaka to take (i.e. a big that kick and pop). 

13 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

da fook u talking about joplin is going to be a 5*

despite what @Shadow Operative says texas chose him over kj adams 

you guys keep comparing the two, saying we chose one over the other, but i was never under the impression that they were supposed to similar players anyway; or is that wrong? if we were comparing them to former Horns I thought that Joplin was supposed to be more of a Brandon Mouton type, while KJ is more of a Chris Owens type. someone who knows more about Joplin can fill me in.

also, regardless of what Joplin's future role is there's still no reason why we would "have to" take one guy over the other. getting both of them for the c/o 2021 >>> choosing one over the other, unless Shaka and co. think that Emarion Ellis and Keeyan Itejere are both better than KJ Adams. 

edit for the above post: after watching those highlights of Joplin he does play in the paint/use his physicality more than I had previously thought. i'm still not sure that the two will be comparable players in college though. i feel like they'll be utilized differently, and that's regardless of which school they chose to attend. no reason they couldn't play on the same team. 

Joplin reminds me of Jonathan Holmes. He has a wing skillset with some ruggedness to make up for his lack of overwhelming size or athleticism in the post. As for the discussion at hand, considering the fact that we will likely have 3 PFs in the class. (Joplin, Itejere, & Collins) it's easy to believe that their was some decision made between Adams and Joplin. Or perhaps Adams made the decision for us. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Shaka being at Marquette, which is closer to his home, probably has to do more than the style of offense.  All these out of state recruits were only coming here because of Shaka, and with him bring closer to their homes is perhaps leading them to bail on Texas and go to Marquette instead. 

47 minutes ago, midtown said:

I don't really know much about college basketball and what offenses everyone runs etc.   So does Beard play a different style of basketball to where these kids want out without even talking to the new coach?

Bates straight up said he was looking to play for a black HC, but not sure about this kid

31 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Shaka being at Marquette, which is closer to his home, probably has to do more than the style of offense.  All these out of state recruits were only coming here because of Shaka, and with him bring closer to their homes is perhaps leading them to bail on Texas and go to Marquette instead. 

The offense could part of it. I looked at the players listed as forwards or centers on Tech's last 3 rosters and there's not many 3 point attempts from those players. The only guy I noticed taking those shots was TJ Holyfield averaging 1.4 3 point attempts per game and he was a 37% 3 point shooter during his time in college. Compare that to Dylan Osetkowski under Shaka- 3.6 3pa per game at 30%.

Edited by angelfacedmongoloid

Shit, Mo Bamba had 1.7 3pa per game at 27%. I can't bring myself to dig into it much more.

Here's a 2016 coaching clinic pdf about Beard's motion offense in the week and a half that he was the UNLV coach: https://pickandpop.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Chris-Beard-UNLV.pdf

Beard's bigs are more likely to attack mismatches than jack 3's. Expect to see a lot less shitty 3's and get to the ft line more overall

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I don't really know much about college basketball and what offenses everyone runs etc.   So does Beard play a different style of basketball to where these kids want out without even talking to the new coach?

Players tend to commit to coaches and not programs.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

Shit, Mo Bamba had 1.7 3pa per game at 27%. I can't bring myself to dig into it much more.

Here's a 2016 coaching clinic pdf about Beard's motion offense in the week and a half that he was the UNLV coach: https://pickandpop.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Chris-Beard-UNLV.pdf

Beard's bigs are more likely to attack mismatches than jack 3's. Expect to see a lot less shitty 3's and get to the ft line more overall

I would love to see a Longhorn basketball team that can consistently make its free throws. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's fair, considering we are getting a .98 forward from a Dallas area HS that signed with Tech. I have no idea about the differences in their respective games between Joplin and Tyson.

It also looks like Texas is getting Peavy, so I'm not too concerned with the forward position.

12 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

What style of offense is Shaka running besides the one that gets out scored by the offense the other coach is running?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:02 PM, angelfacedmongoloid said:

Sims would really grow under Beard.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 3:53 PM, HtownHorn said:

It's fair, considering we are getting a .98 forward from a Dallas area HS that signed with Tech. I have no idea about the differences in their respective games between Joplin and Tyson.

It also looks like Texas is getting Peavy, so I'm not too concerned with the forward position.

Don’t count your chickens n such