Sitting in

Buzzrock

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Post some cool examples of artists sitting in with each other live. I love this one:

Holy shit, I had no idea NiN was that good a band.  They are tight as hell.  That drummer is a monster.

I guess I always thought of them as a studio creation, although a buddy did tell me after catching them live in their early days that it was one of the best shows he'd ever seen.  I went to Lollapalooza One in Dallas but they had dropped of the tour a few days before.

Holy shit, I had no idea NiN was that good a band.  They are tight as hell.  That drummer is a monster.
I guess I always thought of them as a studio creation, although a buddy did tell me after catching them live in their early days that it was one of the best shows he'd ever seen.  I went to Lollapalooza One in Dallas but they had dropped of the tour a few days before.

Oh yeah. I’ve seen them a couple of times in recent years and they have not lost a step. They bring it live.

46 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Not sure who is sitting in with whom but this is the tits.

Wow.  That's a roomful of taste right there.  I could listen to Susan T sing the phone book and be happy for the rest of my life.  Throw in Herbie's insane versatility -- I mean, he's historically a jazz guy playing New Orleans funk -- and then Derek chimes in with some jazz of his own -- and then Vinnie being the absolute fucking master of negative space, crimony.  I think I need a cigarette.

Plus, watch Susan swoon over the backing vocals.  Taste and respect, that's where you want to be.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

This video quality sucks but I was actually there for this one. Cee-Lo was booked to play Hangout Fest one afternoon and his flight was late. So out of nowhere Foo Fighters (who were headlining later) jumped on stage to play a set of covers. Towards the end of this one Cee-Lo showed up to help them finish it off. It was one of those cool only-at-a-festival experiences.

• Hook 'Em 1

when blues traveler was recording an album in austin in the early 00's i had the unfortunate luck to see john popper sit in with a band at 5 consecutive concerts i attended. it became a joke after the first 2 times that john popper would probably sit in...and sure enough. i don't wish that on anyone. 

• 2 weeks later...

i believe it was 2006 when i saw the black crowes and drive by truckers at the backyard. marc ford sat in with the drive by truckers for decoration day...i remember being blown away by him and isbell trading solos. swear i used to have a recording of that somewhere...