The "Post About Old School College Basketball" Thread

shadow_operative

Videos, pictures, stories, whatever you feel like sharing. I'll start:

1990 was a badass year that definitely played a major part in forming my love for college hoops. as they mention in this clip, we actually played LSU that year. We scored 113 and lost by double digits. What a time. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1990 was the year that also got me into NCAA hoops.

I was in high school at the time, but watching the Horns in that tourney was fun.

Elite 8 as a 10 seed.

Had a T-shirt that said "Come dance with Lance and the Runnin Horns" or something to that effect.

Had another with BMW - The ultimate scoring machine.

I really loved watching UNLV though.  Larry Johnson and Stacey Augmon were incredible.

Always hated Duke for whatever reason, lol

1990 marked the beginning of superstition governing my fandom. I was in 7th grade and at some point during the tournament I noticed that our Horns went on runs anytime I was in the bathroom. Needless to say I spent our entire tournament run listening to my radio in the bathroom . I didn't see Panama Meyers block until youtube came around, and I've spent many sleepless nights trying to figure out what I did wrong during the regional final. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

one of my favorite memories is Steve Fisher finding that no in fact he couldn't convince his lottery-pick laden defending national champion 1990 Michigan team to just let him coach them

game plans and strategy were for suckers!  

final score Loyola Marymount 149, Michigan 115, because Michigan insisted at playing at LMU's tempo

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29756397/hall-fame-basketball-coach-lute-olson-dies-85

Hall of Fame basketball coach Lute Olson, who built Arizona into a national power and guided the Wildcats to the school's only NCAA championship, has died at age 85.

Olson was hospitalized last year after suffering a stroke, and was recently moved into hospice care.

His death was confirmed by family to Arizona media outlets.

Olson went 589-187 in 24 seasons at Arizona and guided the Wildcats to four Final Four appearances, 23 consecutive NCAA tournaments and 11 Pac-10 titles, as well as the national title in 1997.

He was inducted into the Pro Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002 and the College Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006, and a statue of Olson was erected outside the McKale Memorial Center in 2018.

Lute had 'Zona rollin there for awhile. And they had basically no real basketball history prior to his run. 3 tournament appearances in school history and then in his 2nd season Lute makes the dance and rattles off 23 consecutive tourney appearances. Yeah, probably a little shady, but fuck it....reminds me of a great era in college ball. 

January 2nd, 1990, I was at the LSU v. Texas game in the Summit.  Final was 124-113.  I can't find  so much as a box score.  If I recall, Chris Jackson (Mahmoud Abdul Rauf) went for 50+.  Blanks and Mays each went for 30+, with Joey coming close to that.  It was as if LSU had 2 Shaqs since Stanley Roberts was just as good at that point.  It felt like they both had triple doubles of dunks, blocks, and rebounds.  Game was closer than final score indicates.  

1 hour ago, Bojack said:

January 2nd, 1990, I was at the LSU v. Texas game in the Summit.  Final was 124-113.  I can't find  so much as a box score.  If I recall, Chris Jackson (Mahmoud Abdul Rauf) went for 50+.  Blanks and Mays each went for 30+, with Joey coming close to that.  It was as if LSU had 2 Shaqs since Stanley Roberts was just as good at that point.  It felt like they both had triple doubles of dunks, blocks, and rebounds.  Game was closer than final score indicates.  

here's the entire game

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/29/2020 at 10:45 AM, Dewey said:

Can't stand Arkansas,  but Barnhill Area was tops in basketball in those days

Hated them so much that I rooted for Duke when they played in the final in 1994. That said, this game was so great--especially since UNLV whipped that Arky ass that day.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:03 AM, Bojack said:

You're welcome. Jackson did have 50.

Screenshot_20200831-121136_Chrome.jpg

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

1990 was also the year of LMU vs LSU.  148-141 LSU win in overtime.  I used to have this game on VHS and would pop it in every now and then to watch.

This was the game where the sideline printer that would print out the details of each possession of the game burned up because the action was too fast...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, JWinTX said:

This was the game where the sideline printer that would print out the details of each possession of the game burned up because the action was too fast...

I just went and found the box score.  211 total shots taken in 45 minutes.  That's one shot every 12.8 seconds.  Holy shit

17 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My Dad was a starter on his rural Missouri high school squad in 1926-29. They played on a dirt court outside.

It was a big deal if the total team scored double digit points.... and they actually won a few games scoring in the single digits.

My grandfather played on Duquesne's team from 1918-21, and is in their HoF. I was very young when he died but, I remember joking that his class was the last one to go through Duquesne that had a winning record. Of course that is not true as the Dukes were a national program until the late 1960s.  They did put out the first black man, Chuck Cooper, drafted by the NBA, Celtics in 1950. I know Chuck Jr. and the renovated Duquesne basketball facility is being renamed in Cooper Sr.'s honor. 

I went to Pitt and as a little boy I did get to see a lot of the old Eastern 8, which was kind of the predecessor, in style, of the Big East. It was brutally physical basketball.  Founding members included: Penn State, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Villanova, Duquesne, George Washington, UMass, and Rutgers. I remember watching Sam Clancy battle with some bad dudes. Sam Clancy was one of our most physical stars in the mid-70s. Sam didn't go to the NBA, he never played football at Pitt but ended up playing in the USFL and the NFL, about a 10-, 11-year career. He's a great dude and is now the head of the Pitt Varsity Letter Club.

When I was in school it was the mid-80s and I had classes with Charles Smith and Jerome Lane. I knew most of the guys on the team although I was a couple years older than Sean Miller and his class so I don't know them as well. 

But I leave you all with my friend Jerome Lane, sending it in!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mcbrisket said:

Damn, Shaq with 10 blocks to make his triple double.

And 0-2 from the free throw line.

In his pro career Shaq was 5,935/11,252 from the line. I wonder how many were front ends of a 1 & 1. He finished with 28,596 points and if he would have shot better than 52.7% he would have easily been over 30,000 points and up with Chamberlain in scoring. Heck, 70% from the line puts him over 36,000 points and an even greater career.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

And 0-2 from the free throw line.

In his pro career Shaq was 5,935/11,252 from the line. I wonder how many were front ends of a 1 & 1. He finished with 28,596 points and if he would have shot better than 52.7% he would have easily been over 30,000 points and up with Chamberlain in scoring. Heck, 70% from the line puts him over 36,000 points and an even greater career.

30,537, plus maybe some back ends of 1 & 1s

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

NBA never had 1&1; until 1982, once in the bonus they had 3 to make 2 if you were shooting and 2 to make 1 of you weren’t. I think up until that time (or maybe this happened later) technicals were two shots if they were on the floor and one from the bench....

IIRC, when I first began to watch the NBA early 70s, you shot FTs on all fouls.  I believe it was just one shot for non-shooting fouls until bonus was reached.