Chelsea 2020-2021: Campeones de Europa

ztejas

Last year was a rebuilding year, had a transfer ban and used a ton of youth and still finished top 4. Now we have made a bunch of moves to improve the team with what was put in place last season with Lampard in his second season as manager.

Top 4 is no longer the goal this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bo said:

Just never had EPL team (Tigres fan for Mexican league) and Pulisic. Seemed like the right timing, plus dig the new kits as well.

Hell yeah, come on Tigres. Always liked them since I was a kid in Monterrey.

Everyone hates Chelsea since they were the original new-HUGE-money team in the PL (Blackburn won a championship early on, but their owner wasn't in Abramovich's stratosphere), but the influx of young English talent and Pulisic has made the Anglosphere begrudgingly enjoy watching them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Last year was a rebuilding year, had a transfer ban and used a ton of youth and still finished top 4. Now we have made a bunch of moves to improve the team with what was put in place last season with Lampard in his second season as manager.

Top 4 is no longer the goal this season.

Yep, very excited about this team and this season. I love Lampard as manager and the moves he made. 

On 9/14/2020 at 6:32 PM, texifornia said:

has made the Anglosphere begrudgingly enjoy watching them.

perfect description with my viewing relationship with chelsea.

particularly from 14-17, they were fun as hell and my favorite team to watch. they had great players who were peaking in their careers.  but i wanted them to fail for being just another russian stooge.

informs my complex relationship with psg in that living there and rooting for them when they sucked, i feel like i am entitled to enjoy some success but the middle eastern bullshit makes it hard. at the same time, it's nice to be able to pay guys like mbappe.  

this post brought to you by self-identified racism/nationalism/xenophobia.

• Hook 'Em 2

Klopp and Lampard: giving nice, professional quotes about each other

Klopp on his so-called rivalry with Frank Lampard: “There is no rivalry. You should stop reading newspapers because I heard about these kinds of things that all the different journalists made of it. I don’t get that. When you ask me a question, I answer it and everyone takes it how they want to take it. It might be a language issue or something. You all make a story that I said something about the the ‘transfer behaviour of Chelsea’.

What I said is, in the situation we are in we cannot deal with the situation like other clubs. One of them was Chelsea, and then you make a story of it and then you create a rivalry between Frank Lampard and me. Why? We meet 2, 3 times a year. I respect a lot what he is doing. He’s probably a really nice guy but I don’t know him in private, like he doesn’t know me in private. And then on the sideline, we are quite animated and emotional and sometimes you say a few words that, a few minutes later, you wish you wouldn’t have said it.

That’s how life is, that’s how football is. It has nothing more than that. Whatever you want. I heard some people would be happy if there was an old rivalry again like it was between Arsene and Alex Ferguson. I don’t know, I think these two guys were pretty good with each other as well and I don’t think the world needs any stories about these kinds of things. Only some of you in the newspapers need that. I can’t help with the rivalries.

Frank Lampard followed up Jurgen Klopp’s fair comments about him with some nice words about the German.

“I just reiterate what Jurgen Klopp said on his part. I have huge amount of respect for him as a manager, I always have done. What he’s done at Liverpool in the course of the time that he’s been there has been incredible. That’s on him as the focal point of that club and the individuals that they have in that squad that they’ve brought in. So, there’s nothing in it for me. The competitive nature of the 90 minutes can always slightly boil over in different directions. The respect that I have for Jurgen Klopp would never change.”

Alonso playing left back against Liverpool. Hold me.

Kai is going to need to be better if we have any shot today. Will probably need a couple of unexpected contributions as well, like, maybe Kepa not playing like a flaming bag of horse manure for starters. 

Also - why is Azpi listed as a sub? Is he in some weird grey area where he is able to play 30 minutes but not a full 90? Or is it a play it by ear type deal where we might see him if it's a close contest but not if it's over after 55 minutes.

Edited by ztejas

I never want to see this lineup on the field again. At the very least, we should never suit up Kepa again. He's fucking embarassing and costing us millions of dollars right now to boot. 

Just terrible club management. I know we've had some unfortunate injury setbacks but some of these transfers needed to be brought in sooner. Alonso playing left back for a top 4 club that has hundreds of millions of dollars to spend is ridiculous. 

• ztejas changed the title to Chelsea 2020-2021: Campeones de Europa