Chelsea 2020-2021: Campeones de Europa

ztejas

Frank's job is not in nearly as much jeopardy as you think.  We finished top 4 last year after losing Hazard and not being able to spend the money from it.  This season we've bought a ton of talent, but it's going to take time for them to come together.  Unless this season is an unmitigated disaster, like 10th place, Frank's got at least one more.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Frank's job is not in nearly as much jeopardy as you think.

Oh I think I know how much jeopardy it's in. I just disagree. Politicking will assuredly keep him in charge for a few games too long if he's to get the boot. And obviously I'm impassioned and overreacting a bit this afternoon.

Get Mendy in. Get Pulisic out there. Get Chilwell out there. There's a good chance we roll after that. But we are playing with some pretty thin margins after today's match. 

On 9/26/2020 at 12:42 PM, ztejas said:

Oh I think I know how much jeopardy it's in. I just disagree. Politicking will assuredly keep him in charge for a few games too long if he's to get the boot. And obviously I'm impassioned and overreacting a bit this afternoon.

Get Mendy in. Get Pulisic out there. Get Chilwell out there. There's a good chance we roll after that. But we are playing with some pretty thin margins after today's match. 

Wow you've been following Chelsea for what 12 months and already you are more negative than Rich ever was.

When you bring in Werner, Havertz, Thiago, you have Pulisic, Chillwell and Ziyech injured, Willian, Pedro and essentially Jorginho leaving with Dave and CHO coming off an injury without any sort of preseason secondary to Covid you should expect some crap results early on. Oh and mix in some Kepa and Willy as well, not to mention Alonso being the healthy option at LB.

I don't think you know anything in regards to how the Chelsea board is working currently. Lampard is not a temporary manager, he is hopefully here for the long haul.

Calm down.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Wow you've been following Chelsea for what 12 months and already you are more negative than Rich ever was.

When you bring in Werner, Havertz, Thiago, you have Pulisic, Chillwell and Ziyech injured, Willian, Pedro and essentially Jorginho leaving with Dave and CHO coming off an injury without any sort of preseason secondary to Covid you should expect some crap results early on. Oh and mix in some Kepa and Willy as well, not to mention Alonso being the healthy option at LB.

I don't think you know anything in regards to how the Chelsea board is working currently. Lampard is not a temporary manager, he is hopefully here for the long haul.

Calm down.

I admitted to being impassioned and overreacting and commented that there's a good chance that we roll once everything falls into place. 

I also hope Lampard is a good long term fit, but if he isn't, then he will assuredly be in charge for too many matches. That shouldn't be at all controversial. 

The front office has made some great strides the past few years but the roster is a bit of a mess to start the season. Obviously you can't predict injuries but im not sure how Pulisic and Ziyech are going to instantly improve our defense. Chilwell should help. But it might take him time to gel.

Regardless, being down 3-0 to West Brom after 27 minutes is fucking embarassing when you have a quarter billion on the pitch. That is laughing stock of the league type shit. Thankfully we just barely pulled out a tie because there's a good chance we would be fucked had we gotten just 3 points out of that opening 3 game slate. Top 4 and CL is not going to be a cakewalk this season. Especially with Leicester and Everton's current form.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I admitted to being impassioned and overreacting and commented that there's a good chance that we roll once everything falls into place. 

I also hope Lampard is a good long term fit, but if he isn't, then he will assuredly be in charge for too many matches. That shouldn't be at all controversial

The front office has made some great strides the past few years but the roster is a bit of a mess to start the season. Obviously you can't predict injuries but im not sure how Pulisic and Ziyech are going to instantly improve our defense. Chilwell [and Mendy] should help. But it might take him [Chilwell, Thiago and Mendy will need] time to gel.

Regardless, being down 3-0 to West Brom after 27 minutes is fucking embarassing when you have a quarter billion on the pitch. That is laughing stock of the league type shit. Thankfully we just barely pulled out a tie because there's a good chance we would be fucked had we gotten just 3 points out of that opening 3 game slate. Top 4 and CL is not going to be a cakewalk this season. Especially with Leicester and Everton's current form.

fify

12 minutes ago, MoJames said:

fify

Sir, are you aware what site you're on?

But fair enough. I'm definitely not freaking out about anything today. Tomorrow's game is actually pretty welcome to get some more time on the pitch together for these guys. 

If we get blasted by Crystal Palace with Mendy and Pulisic in the lineup, however, I assure you I'm picking up right where I left off.

I wouldn't expect any less. Complain away.

I do get annoyed when anyone on this board speaks with any certainty on something they obviously have little investment in.

Goal 1 - Alonso inexplicably gives it to WBA in our third and a 40 year old Willy can't stop it. (You correctly call out Alonso)

Goal 2 - Thiago pulls a Gerrard (any pool lurkers?) and they get a goal. (You state Lampard's decision to play it out of the back is at fault, I can't think of a top team that doesn't do this, the days of booting the ball to the center line and hoping you get control are over, and if Lampard started suggesting we do this I'd recommend he be canned)

Goal 3 - Alonso decides not to defend his man, goal. (You quickly state you were correct when saying Reece James was crap. It was not his man that scored, he was appropriately within defending distance of his man. Alonso didn't even consider defending)

You then go on to call Tammy a donkey, state the newly promoted WBA is trash who essentially are playing with the exact same team they played last season (essentially a disaster for a newly formed squad), have a fun back and forth with Rich, you consistently remark how Pulisic is great but he can't fix Lampard's/Chelsea's shortcomings.

AND TO TOP IT OFF YOU STATE YOU FUCKING LIKE THESE PIECE OF SHIT CRYSTAL PALACE BULLSHIT KITS.

Honestly, until I saw you liked the third kits I was going to let this all go, but you crossed the line.

I don’t get fired up any more because it was clear people didn’t want to hear that shit here. Looks like that hasn’t changed any.

Look, we were highly suspect on D last year, made one legit D signing in Chillwell, brought in a band aid of sorts in Silva, and scrambled to find a non-Kepa keeper that wasn’t a pipe dream. Nothing that has happened thus far is remotely surprising. We’ll get somewhat better as Chillwell gets fit/acclimated and Mendy (hopefully) gets goalkeeping back to a respectable level. The ceiling of this team remains 3rd or 4th and the floor is certainly somewhere south of another UCL qualification. There will be moments of brilliance and moments of frustration. Hopefully we get more of the former and less of the latter this year than last. Beyond that, there isn’t much mystery or intrigue to be found with this year’s squad.

I’d love to hope that Mo is right and this is just part of the process that Frank is leading to rebuild the team in a specific way. Nothing I’ve seen from Roman suggests he has that kind of patience, but I guess there is a first time for everything.

That said, even if I choose to accept that the above is indeed happening, the way we managed this transfer window this year is always going to feel weird to me. I don’t think we even flirted with a CB that is first team material, which isn’t exactly a high bar at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree with a lot of that, Rich.  The lack of spending on a back four is, frankly, weird.  But it seems to me that the board isn't building a team to win this year, but a team to win a lot for the next several years.  Just finish top four again then buy every available first team defender next summer and we'll be set for a long time.

And I like Frank being in charge of all this developing attacking talent.  Maybe I'm biased because I loved the guy as a player.  But I don't think so.  Frank was a great player not because of athleticism, but because he understood the game.  And he can teach that.

Edited by TexArcher

I firmly believe the last part of the swapping at the back line was to get Rice and put him in the rotation. Unfortunately, West Ham is stead fast on not letting him go. We will see. The one part I'm having a hard time understanding is the Rudiger decision. I'm guessing that means we are all in on Tomori, who I think will be a stud, but I felt Rudiger was a much better option over Christensen.

16 hours ago, MoJames said:

Goal 3 - Alonso decides not to defend his man, goal. (You quickly state you were correct when saying Reece James was crap. It was not his man that scored, he was appropriately within defending distance of his man. Alonso didn't even consider defending)

Reece had poor awareness and played him on. He got caught ball watching. I'm not sure what part of James' game you rate. Besides the laser he had against BHA which isn't really what we need from our RB. I mean hes a better defender than Alonso but that's not saying much. 

the days of booting the ball to the center line and hoping you get control are over,

That's not what I'm suggesting. There are plenty of possessions where it is completely unnecessary for us to pass it all the way back to the keeper. Of course top teams play out of the back - they actually have talent at keeper and in their back line. We are giving away a goal every game from lazy passes and poor judgment back there. Maybe the solution is just to let it happen until the back 4 sorts itself out, but my God it is irritating at times.

AND TO TOP IT OFF YOU STATE YOU FUCKING LIKE THESE PIECE OF SHIT CRYSTAL PALACE BULLSHIT KITS.

I didn't say that. I said I liked the shirt on its own. The shirt/shorts combo is terrible. We look like we are hoping someone bends us over and enters from the rear. 

12 hours ago, RichUT said:

The ceiling of this team remains 3rd or 4th and the floor is certainly somewhere south of another UCL qualification.

I still think the ceiling is 2nd but only because there seems to be a ton of parity from 2nd to 8th or 9th this season. 

Doesn't look like anyone is challenging Pool. But once we mesh I'm not sure we'll be firmly behind anyone but them.

Just now, RichUT said:

I hope to inherit your optimism.

I can't be crushingly pessimistic without an equal amount of optimism to balance it out. 

I'm not sure why you guys watch the PL, I'm trying to have my soul crushed before eventually breaking out into hysterical fits of laughter.

The best thing about EPL is there are a ton of games. It isn't like watching Texas Football, where you entire season falls apart with a single loss. You hope to see ongoing improvement throughout the season knowing the team will have both streaks of wins and times were they are dropping points to the bottom of the league. You absorb one game at a time, look for ongoing improvement and when the team completely gives up, like the end of Mou's second run, it is beyond painful. You watch the same awful product each and every week.

That isn't going on right now. The best part of this weekends game was the squad didn't give up. Players like Mount, Tammy and Dave all pulled everyone off the ground and started making plays. It's great to see. Tells me the team is close and is responding well to adversity.

We out did ourselves last season getting CL. We weren't supposed to. We are supposed to now and like you said, the league has quite a bit a parity outside of the returning champs who look the part. We will see how the season goes but if there is one thing I can guarantee it's that manure won't finish second. 

Edited by MoJames
  • Hook 'Em 2

About an hour away

On TV: Sky Sports Main Event (UK); none (USA); none Colors Infinity (India); SuperSport Maximo (NGA); elsewhere
Streaming: Sky Go (UK); ESPN+ (USA); JioTV (India); DStv Now (NGA)

The injury situation has improved slightly from the weekend, with both Ben Chilwell and new goalkeeper Édouard Mendy declared fit and ready, though it’s unclear if either will start. Christian Pulisic and Hakim Ziyech are still out, but the latter’s back in training, so he should be getting close. Billy Gilmour is making progress as well, recently seen lacing up some boxing gloves at Cobham and getting that literal fighting spirit back. G’wan, Billy G!

From WAGNH - https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2020/9/29/21492696/tottenham-hotspur-chelsea-live-stream-time-tv-channels-how-to-watch-carabao-cup-online

That Wener strike was beautiful. Want to see more of that from him. Sounds like we had some other good opportunities? 

Never fun losing to Tottenham but fuck it. They can go play more games in the Mickey Mouse cup. 

Also, pks after 90 minutes is so fucking stupid. They're basically just admitting that none of the top clubs care about the Carabao. If another 30 minutes is too much then maybe just don't play them in the first place? 

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Not the guy I expected to be loaned out tbh

Really? That was my guess before the image loaded. I know there were rumors of him either being sold or loaned out, too (maybe MoJames called it upthread somewhere?).

He doesn't have a spot on this team, unfortunately/fortunately. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Really? That was my guess before the image loaded. I know there were rumors of him either being sold or loaned out, too (maybe MoJames called it upthread somewhere?).

He doesn't have a spot on this team, unfortunately/fortunately. 

I think he's a lot more useful to us than RLC at the moment. I do get he wants starters minutes to stay in the England team.

45 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think he's a lot more useful to us than RLC at the moment. I do get he wants starters minutes to stay in the England team.

Maybe. I feel like replacement level strikers are a dime a dozen. Which is basically what Barkley is. 

Giroud has earned his minutes. Tammy isn't a world class talent but he's a solid PL striker, and he has WC talent around him. I'd imagine this also means Lampard is comfortable with Wener getting minutes at the 9 - esp. when Pulisic is back. We could see some 4-2-4 going Pulisic - Werner - Tammy - Havertz, Kante - Ziyech, back 4. Or 2-4-4 going Wener - Tammy, Pulisic - Kante - Havertz - Ziyech. Mount and CHO and Giroud off the bench. Barkley doesn't touch the field when we are fully healthy.

Should be some fun soccer to watch coming up.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Maybe. I feel like replacement level strikers are a dime a dozen. Which is basically what Barkley is. 

Giroud has earned his minutes. Tammy isn't a world class talent but he's a solid PL striker, and he has WC talent around him. I'd imagine this also means Lampard is comfortable with Wener getting minutes at the 9 - esp. when Pulisic is back. We could see some 4-2-4 going Pulisic - Werner - Tammy - Havertz, Kante - Ziyech, back 4. Or 2-4-4 going Wener - Tammy, Pulisic - Kante - Havertz - Ziyech. Mount and CHO and Giroud off the bench. Barkley doesn't touch the field when we are fully healthy.

Should be some fun soccer to watch coming up.

Barkley isn't a striker.

• Hook 'Em 1

• ztejas changed the title to Chelsea 2020-2021: Campeones de Europa