Chelsea 2020-2021: Campeones de Europa

ztejas

So Southampton left with 5 straight losses and we get this run of games... Atletico > Man U > Everton > Leeds > Atletico > Liverpool

Been looking solid but by no means world beaters, will be interesting how Tuchel evolves over the next couple of weeks with his line ups. Been very open with picks so far, I'd imagine he gets a bit narrower with his choices soon enough.

51 minutes ago, APMP said:

So Captain America on his way out of Chelsea?

Maybe. Nothing concrete. He needs to stay healthy and play better before worrying about switching clubs - imo. It's not like Tuchel has iced him out of the rotation - he's just put a lot of different looks on the pitch and it's hard to bench other guys when you are winning games with them in the lineup. 

I thought Lampard was playing him too much if anything towards the end and that was just a few weeks ago. 

I would expect Chelsea to probably move someone this summer but it may or may not be Pulisic.

48 minutes ago, morehornsepower said:

I'll take it!

Absolutely. I was worried and half convinced we were headed towards 0-0. Minus a couple gaffes that didn't result in anything too dangerous our D was excellent, and we completely outplayed them in the 2nd half. 

Phenomenal strike by Giroud. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Absolutely. I was worried and half convinced we were headed towards 0-0. Minus a couple gaffes that didn't result in anything too dangerous our D was excellent, and we completely outplayed them in the 2nd half. 

Phenomenal strike by Giroud. 

Yeah, I only saw the second half.  That was an amazing strike!

11 minutes ago, Stringer said:

but I don't see any changes in results.

Maybe you're looking at the wrong results? Pretty sure we are still unbeaten under Tuchel including a win over Spurs and Atletico in the CL. Manu is the 2nd best side in the PL right now - nothing wrong with a point against them. 

I get it, but what results changed from Tuchel being in?  Athletico is top of a very down La Liga and it was a pretty turgid game with one moment of brilliance.  We drew with ManU in the fall, so that's a wash.  Tottenham, maybe?  That's great, but I think at least one of the Southampton or Wolverhampton draws flips to a win.  

It's entirely possible I'm wrong, I'm just feeling uninspired.  

There’s a lot of talent on this team enduring disappointing or mediocre seasons. Werner, Havertz, Pulisic, Abraham, James, Kanye, Chilwell, Ziyech.  Half of it is due to chopping and changing and players not getting a consistent run in the side but the tactic of buying loads of players without a planned pattern of play means it will probably be next season before the group really gels.

25 minutes ago, Stringer said:

I get it, but what results changed from Tuchel being in?  Athletico is top of a very down La Liga and it was a pretty turgid game with one moment of brilliance.  We drew with ManU in the fall, so that's a wash.  Tottenham, maybe?  That's great, but I think at least one of the Southampton or Wolverhampton draws flips to a win.  

It's entirely possible I'm wrong, I'm just feeling uninspired.  

I don't care if Atletico outshot us 50 to 1 in that game (and they didn't - we were clearly the better side in the 2nd half) - that is a huuuuge result on the road. 

I'm not sure if Tuchel is the long term answer but we are already playing much more competent football than we were under Lampard. Some of those final games were horrible displays. Like barely watchable. In Lampard's final 8 matches we had 3 losses to teams behind us in the standings, 2 losses to teams ahead of us where we were visibly outclassed, one good win over West Ham, a 1-nil squeaker over a 10 man Fulham side and a draw against Villa. I wouldn't really count Tuchel's first result against him - but it was a draw against a Wolves team that we lost to under Lampard. Outside of that we are handling business and getting the points that we should be expected to with our roster (save the draw against Soton) and Lampard wasn't doing that nor was he getting results against big clubs. And drawing ManU right now is a result that we shouldn't complain about. That is not the ManU team that we played in our first match. It's a far cry from getting dogwhipped by a shitty Arsenal side.

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't care if Atletico outshot us 50 to 1 in that game (and they didn't - we were clearly the better side in the 2nd half) - that is a huuuuge result on the road. 

I'm not sure if Tuchel is the long term answer but we are already playing much more competent football than we were under Lampard. Some of those final games were horrible displays. Like barely watchable. In Lampard's final 8 matches we had 3 losses to teams behind us in the standings, 2 losses to teams ahead of us where we were visibly outclassed, one good win over West Ham, a 1-nil squeaker over a 10 man Fulham side and a draw against Villa. I wouldn't really count Tuchel's first result against him - but it was a draw against a Wolves team that we lost to under Lampard. Outside of that we are handling business and getting the points that we should be expected to with our roster (save the draw against Soton) and Lampard wasn't doing that nor was he getting results against big clubs. And drawing ManU right now is a result that we shouldn't complain about. That is not the ManU team that we played in our first match. It's a far cry from getting dogwhipped by a shitty Arsenal side.

I think, from all the talent we bought/brought in over the summer, we were all hoping to be competing for the very top of the table.  If I look back to that fantasy at the beginning of the season, then I would say we are still falling short, and I can understand feeling 'uninspired'.  But 0 losses in the last 8 games, is a huge turnaround from the games immediately preceding that.  I still love Lampard, but the results are definitely improved over the current sample size.  I just hope that there isn't a regression like we saw after the first 10 games or so at the beginning of the season.

In-Laws in town over the past week, so a bit absent. Big game today against some team that has lost 4 of the last 5.

Peacock bullshit today

From WAGNH

Chelsea team news: Thiago Silva’s thigh injury continues to drag on like so many soft tissue injuries often do, as he’ll miss his seventh match in a row. Andreas Christensen has been doing a good enough job deputizing thus far, and hopefully that continues for at least a bit longer.

Our only other injury concern is Tammy Abraham’s ankle, which has flared up again, though the bigger concern is Tammy’s overall situation and slide down the pecking order under Tuchel (a slide, which, in fairness, had already begun under Lampard as well). Callum Hudson-Odoi, who was spotted with a big icepack on his knee after his latest eyebrow-raising substitution by the head coach over the weekend is available and traveling with the team.

One might never guess from the undue criticisms, but Tuchel remains unbeaten as Chelsea head coach, with six wins from nine in all competitions, and has evidently decided that the best way to get us a top-four finish is to grind out some results by keeping clean sheets and making us tough to beat. And before the back-to-back draws in the last two games, that plan had been working swimmingly. This game’s unlikely to bring anything different in terms of an overarching gameplan, so hopefully it goes back to working just fine.

• ztejas changed the title to Chelsea 2020-2021: Campeones de Europa