2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

2 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

This one has correct spaces in the title.

@Spaulding Smails looks like you dodged the CWD zone. I was not so lucky. I am on the boundary of the zone so it looks like I will find out about the testing process.

That's a bummer on the CWD.  What a gut punch.  We haven't seen any signs at our place (yet).

We did have three younger deer dead on our place last year.  No signs of trauma.  No bullet wounds.  No signs of predator attack.  Nothing.  Found them both before the buzzards got them.  My dad called the wildlife biologist to verify we didn't have anything funky going on, and he felt like it was most likely enterotoxemia.  Basically, the deer just gorge on acorns, and it throws off their digestion.  He said he was seeing a lot of that in 2019 due to the amount of acorns being produced.  Makes sense because we had an insane amount of acorns on the ground last winter.  

That's a bummer on the CWD.  What a gut punch.  We haven't seen any signs at our place (yet).
We did have three younger deer dead on our place last year.  No signs of trauma.  No bullet wounds.  No signs of predator attack.  Nothing.  Found them both before the buzzards got them.  My dad called the wildlife biologist to verify we didn't have anything funky going on, and he felt like it was most likely enterotoxemia.  Basically, the deer just gorge on acorns, and it throws off their digestion.  He said he was seeing a lot of that in 2019 due to the amount of acorns being produced.  Makes sense because we had an insane amount of acorns on the ground last winter.  
The biologist didn't come out to take a sample?

2 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Evidently a single doe at a breeding facility tested positive. They wont say where it is but I assume it is somewhere in the middle of the area.

ab33f96a-a2b4-48db-abf6-12607a6c958a.png

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:
1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

The biologist didn't come out to take a sample?

He did not.  We sent him pics.  Deer were very healthy and none of the CWD signs were present.  He said if we found another, he'd come out.  Have not seen one since.  

Evidently a single doe at a breeding facility tested positive. They wont say where it is but I assume it is somewhere in the middle of the area.

From what I understand is that one case at a breeding facility, TPWD comes in and wipes out every single deer. Lots of $$$ lost for the breeder.

Heading out this weekend for season prep.
It's not going to be as hot as it normally is but we bought a blow up pool to use for relief.  With well water and some canopies it is a welcome cool down after we get done with the work.  
One of the best things I've done in the past couple of years was getting a trailer at the ranch. I was out on Sunday in 106 degree temps and was glad to have a place to cool down other than my truck.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
13 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:
Heading out this weekend for season prep.
It's not going to be as hot as it normally is but we bought a blow up pool to use for relief.  With well water and some canopies it is a welcome cool down after we get done with the work.  

One of the best things I've done in the past couple of years was getting a trailer at the ranch. I was out on Sunday in 106 degree temps and was glad to have a place to cool down other than my truck.

Same.  Just bought a 12' trailer that I keep out at the ranch.  I got tired of pulling my 16' trailer out there when needed.  So much easier to load rocks and move brush.  Not to mention the lower height for sitting and taking a break.  We also use the hell out of it now for moving road base instead of a bucket at a time with the tractor.  

We have a 30’ travel trailer with electric and water we eat, sleep and crap in but the pool is really nice under our shade and canopies. It was $20 at Wal Mart and the well water is always cold.

What we really need is cover for the trailer and pad though. Thought about using tin and old oil pipes as posts. Otherwise, estimates to cover run about $10k.

We have a 30’ travel trailer with electric and water we eat, sleep and crap in but the pool is really nice under our shade and canopies. It was $20 at Wal Mart and the well water is always cold.

What we really need is cover for the trailer and pad though. Thought about using tin and old oil pipes as posts. Otherwise, estimates to cover run about $10k.

Go big or go home. It really helps the ac keep up. Blocks all sun from 10am till sundown but allows wind to flow under the walls that stop 5' from the ground. Shitty pic but you get the idea.0f2d493c2f81a5225a9116ae719ed779.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

yup.  Looks good.  Our issue we have is our front door is West facing into the blast furnace.  Lines were run prior to use really taking over the place.  If we extend it out over the pad it would cover most of the sunlight.  You are correct in that our AC's run constantly this time of year.  

STOKED to see this thread. Hunting season can't get here soon enough!!

• Custom built 300BO on my heirloom Rem Model 7 - Check!  (PS - Mark Pharr at TumbleWeed rifles here in Austin did some amazing work on my rifle).
  • Window A/C Unit ready for the ranch camphouse - Check!
  • Corona Beard fully grown out - Check!
  • Sick of my family, my computer, my work, and ready to disappear from society - TRIPLE FUCKING CHECK!

Fuck you 2020! I will have the last laugh!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Got down to mexico this past weekend. We picked up a new place closer to the border . Same owner as previous place hooked us up. Top notch ranch house. No electricity so have to bring a generator. Its really green andctanks full. Moved down to 5500 acres but area looks really good.
Planning on getting a Generac 17500 gas portable generator. Prolly our best option without goung to big time diesel options.
Need to get back down to set cameras and feeders soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

STOKED to see this thread. Hunting season can't get here soon enough!!
  • Custom built 300BO on my heirloom Rem Model 7 - Check!  (PS - Mark Pharr at TumbleWeed rifles here in Austin did some amazing work on my rifle).
  • Window A/C Unit ready for the ranch camphouse - Check!
  • Corona Beard fully grown out - Check!
  • Sick of my family, my computer, my work, and ready to disappear from society - TRIPLE FUCKING CHECK!
Fuck you 2020! I will have the last laugh!

Zincpoint for 300bo ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
23 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

From what I understand is that one case at a breeding facility, TPWD comes in and wipes out every single deer. Lots of $$$ lost for the breeder.

It can be worse than that.  The prions that cause CWD are damn near indestructible.  They can withstand heat temps up close to a 900+ degrees F, so you can't "cook them out" and can live in the soil for years - calling into question future generations if a breeder wanted to "rebuild" the herd. 

It is 100% fatal.  Scary shit.  My big concern is the first move by the state to outlaw hunting over bait (feeders) to reduce the concentration patterns of animals. 

23 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

From what I understand is that one case at a breeding facility, TPWD comes in and wipes out every single deer. Lots of $$$ lost for the breeder

They’ll do this to places that don’t keep up their paperwork, too. One of my old vendors used to take us out to his place a couple times a year.  Small place, few hundred acres owned, with a few thousand leased near it. But they had breeder pens and all kinds of shit.  They didn’t do their paperwork worth a shit forever, and one day, TPWD shows up with a few guys and proceeds to kill every deer they see over a few weeks. Couple dozen over 200” and a few over 300”.    He says they dug a hole and dumped them in it (which seems wasteful af to me).  None of the deer were sick, they just weren’t following the rules.  Don’t know what kind of fines and whatnot they incurred but they shut down the “breeding program”, ordered another couple dozen high end bucks and let them go “free range”.   Their thing was they’d buy these 170-200” deer, that genetically were disappointments (supposed to be much larger) on the cheap, then let them run all over. It was fun to see all the big deer, but more fun to hunt the big leased place (that had no deer :().   I’ll let you guess where these guys were from.

I’m going to try to sneak down to our place and build another feeder pen in the next few weeks.  And will get down for dove a few times.  We had minimal damage from the hurricane, but the guy shredding is going to have a tough time this year.  Grass has been over the hood of my truck since May.  I am about to buy a few cameras and get them set up down there in the coming weeks. This is my first year on there and Jesus its a lot of shit to buy up front.   

I bought 10 leather office chairs yesterday for $7/ea, and a 2 road feeders for $75 a few weeks ago. Coming down to finally figuring out what I want to do with a blind, and I’ll be about wrapped up.   On the feeders, I ended up with the 600# version and they seem to be well built/quality.  Lots of heavy dumb steel. 
https://www.texaswildlifesupply.com/broadcast-feeders

We have been seeing a TON of quail and a lot of dove.  

Cantwait.gif

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

My big concern is the first move by the state to outlaw hunting over bait (feeders) to reduce the concentration patterns of animals. 

It would seem that the first moves should be to do away with captive breeding operations, regulate densities in high fence ranches, etc.    There are a lot of steps that would impact far fewer people than a bait ban.  

Personally, I would not mind a bait ban because I find it more enjoyable to try to pattern deer rather than sit at a feeder.  But I realize that is an unpopular opinion.  Banning bait would seem politically untenable in Texas unless the CWD problem had become pretty severe and numerous other options had already been explored.  

• Like 1

This guy better enjoy one more year of pilfering feed.

He's already turned his tips horizontal so he'll be prime in one more year.

He'll have that smell that stays in your head for 3 days and makes you burn the clothes being worn when you loaded him up.

Goat.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ollie Slatt said:

It would seem that the first moves should be to do away with captive breeding operations, regulate densities in high fence ranches, etc.    There are a lot of steps that would impact far fewer people than a bait ban.  

Personally, I would not mind a bait ban because I find it more enjoyable to try to pattern deer rather than sit at a feeder.  But I realize that is an unpopular opinion.  Banning bait would seem politically untenable in Texas unless the CWD problem had become pretty severe and numerous other options had already been explored.  

I do not disagree.  In the end, the dispersion of large groups of animals is what will tempter this outbreak.  Infected animals in the wild die off.  In fenced properties and regular feeding options, they are able to congregate with healthy animals and spread via saliva when feeding.  Can you imagine some outfits with 6-figure breeding bucks that catch this.  Like a prize race horse breaking a leg.  

49 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Same.  Our hunters said they were out setting up and flushed four separate covies.  Seeing quail, I can't tell you how happy that makes me.  

This place has been blessed the last 5 years or so I’ve been a guest, never been short on quail.  Better quail than deer tbh. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

This place has been blessed the last 5 years or so I’ve been a guest, never been short on quail.  Better quail than deer tbh. 

Our previous hunters were dedicated quail hunters.  Custom aluminum dog beds in the back of the trucks.  Custom everything and man, those dogs were so well trained.  Never seen anything like it.  The amount of ground they can cover in a single day is insane.  

• Like 1

Passionate (and wealthy) quail hunters are like nothing I've ever seen. 

A few years ago I visited a ranch that had been a dedicated quail ranch "sanctuary" owned by a small group of hunters, but was sold and was transforming into a whitetail focused ranch.

The infrastructure and habitat expenditures the prior owners had made to make it the best wild quail hunting ranch possible was staggering.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Have gun...will travel.

I grew up in the Valley chasing quail with my buddies. At that time, we would just walk the hedge rows to pop a covey every 100 yards or so. Never would have imagined back then that there would be a decline in quail populations like there is.

We got our helicopter survey set up for late September.  Our state biologist informed us that he will not fly it with us and we have to count our deer and other animals ourselves and turn in the report to him.  It seems that three TPWD staff members got kilt in a helicopter crash while out doing a desert bighorn survey out in Brewster County and TPWD says no more flying for now.

Our guy says we know what to do so go do it and send him the results and he'll give us more tags if we need them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/us/texas-wildlife-officials-helicopter-crash-trnd/index.html#:~:text=The three people killed were,Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/08/12/texas-parks-and-wildlife-department-shares-photos-of-employees-killed-in-helicopter-crash/

29 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Have gun...will travel.

I grew up in the Valley chasing quail with my buddies. At that time, we would just walk the hedge rows to pop a covey every 100 yards or so. Never would have imagined back then that there would be a decline in quail populations like there is.

As we all know, they are just so fragile.  Not enough rain.  Too much rain.  Ants.  Roadrunners & other predators eating their eggs, etc.  

20 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Passionate (and wealthy) quail hunters are like nothing I've ever seen. 

A few years ago I visited a ranch that had been a dedicated quail ranch "sanctuary" owned by a small group of hunters, but was sold and was transforming into a whitetail focused ranch.

The infrastructure and habitat expenditures the prior owners had made to make it the best wild quail hunting ranch possible was staggering.  

There’s a 32mm ranch for sale on lands of Texas right now that is great for pretty much anything you’d ever want to do.  They mention the quail and quail improvements to it about 50 times. Then have a few pics of 180” class deer with basically, “deer hunting too”.  Absolutely the afterthought. 13k acres. It is funny how that’s the hunt that the wealthy yearn for.  

Maybe Bezos is a long lost cousin or something.  

There’s a good coffee table book about all the variations of vehicles the enthusiasts have.  Some are well into 6 figures.  This entire discussion reminds me that I need a 28ga O/U. 

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There’s a 32mm ranch for sale on lands of Texas right now that is great for pretty much anything you’d ever want to do.  They mention the quail and quail improvements to it about 50 times. Then have a few pics of 180” class deer with basically, “deer hunting too”.  Absolutely the afterthought. 13k acres. It is funny how that’s the hunt that the wealthy yearn for.  

This place I visited had so much money invested in irrigation wells and piping to support the habitat improvements and reseeding for desired vegetation that I'm sure some old pipe salesman retired on that deal alone.

I'd estimate that the man-hours spent half-cutting mesquite and other brush work to be in the 10's of 1000 hrs.  Each bedroom had it's own elaborate, hand-carved wooden paneling gear room with a high end gun safes, gear lockers, etc...... and those each led to separate Ritz Carlton kennels.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Check out www.twilightmetalworks.com for cool hunting rigs.

Buddy of mine has 2.  

http://www.texasquailrigs.com/

This was the book I was talking about.

http://www.performancetopdrives.com/quail-rigs/

Built in Gas grill and wetbar gtfo.

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Such a shame those rigs still require one to unzip when you have to stop and take a piss.  All those are missing would be a catheter to offer 100% stress free hunting.

"deer hunting has gotten so expensive"..........Quail hunter - "Hold my beer..." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We’re doing a barn addition this year. Got all the framing up a few weeks ago.

c9781cb31af9cc5c3680c0c22e871a2d.jpg

I’m refinishing one of my rifle stocks, got the kids to help, should be a nice memory for them down the road.

478bef5f711fe40b8e2e06d719d797ba.jpg

We have a nice main frame 10 with 2 kickers I got some pics of through binos last week. I put out a trail cam so might have more photos of him soon. I believe he was a 12 last year, probably 3 yrs old last year and 4 this year.

801aa48f20a15eeeec162ce4fd774f85.jpg

7ba7f44673bec40abd18d479ad11614d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 686 said:

I’m refinishing one of my rifle stocks, got the kids to help, should be a nice memory for them down the road.

Damn man. Killing it.  Nice deer too. 

It will be a great memory for them.  My father and I restocked a model 99 savage in .300 savage that had been in a fire at a gunsmiths house.  I would not cherish, or probably even have that gun otherwise. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 8:42 PM, 686 said:

We’re doing a barn addition this year. Got all the framing up a few weeks ago.

c9781cb31af9cc5c3680c0c22e871a2d.jpg

478bef5f711fe40b8e2e06d719d797ba.jpg

We have a nice main frame 10 with 2 kickers I got some pics of through binos last week. I put out a trail cam so might have more photos of him soon. I believe he was a 12 last year, probably 3 yrs old last year and 4 this year.

801aa48f20a15eeeec162ce4fd774f85.jpg

7ba7f44673bec40abd18d479ad11614d.jpg

Nice headgear.  Looks like a youngster.  Let him grow up for a couple of years.

With the bino pics I'll change that to a 3 year old.

I’m going the other direction - He looks older to me in these photos than last week. I was pretty sure 4 last week but I could see 5 this week. I’ll see if I’ve got a picture of him from last year.

12 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Who's got plans for opening day dove?
I've been working so much that time had gotten away from me and I haven't a placed lined out to go for the opener or opening weekend.

Planning on hunting with a buddy on some of his family land out in Lufkin. I got to shoot a banded dove last year which was a first. The dog is ready; hopefully it’s not too hot.

Good luck!