2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

13 minutes ago, 686 said:

I’m going the other direction - He looks older to me in these photos than last week. I was pretty sure 4 last week but I could see 5 this week. I’ll see if I’ve got a picture of him from last year.

This is my thinking too. Originally thinking 4-5, now I think 5+, his face looks older and he’s got that gut.

Got a packet in the mail from TXPW where they want me to send in actual White Wings. 4 Envelopes total, 1 smaller that goes into the pre-addressed (to San Marcos) setup.

Max 15 per envelope. Interesting that I got rando'd.

If this is like 2019, they will get 7 wings. Of course it rained like a mo-fo last night & we have puddles everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Who's got plans for opening day dove?
I've been working so much that time had gotten away from me and I haven't a placed lined out to go for the opener or opening weekend.

Uvalde for me on the 1st.  Hunting with one of the outfitters @deadshank recommended last year.  

Got a packet in the mail from TXPW where they want me to send in actual White Wings. 4 Envelopes total, 1 smaller that goes into the pre-addressed (to San Marcos) setup.

Max 15 per envelope. Interesting that I got rando'd.

If this is like 2019, they will get 7 wings. Of course it rained like a mo-fo last night & we have puddles everywhere.

I did the duck wing survey last year.

On 8/22/2020 at 12:21 AM, Both Tacos said:

Who's got plans for opening day dove?
I've been working so much that time had gotten away from me and I haven't a placed lined out to go for the opener or opening weekend.

Hunting a place in Fort Bend on a vendor deal.  Was crazy good last year, we shall see what '20 holds.  

Little bit irritated with myself today.  Been going back and forth with what I want to do on a blind for several months.  Think I finally landed on a fiberglass 5x7.  Went and looked at a few in person yesterday, priced it all out, and felt pretty good.  Wife and kids really want to be involved, so that is why we've been looking at bigger blinds.  Well wife does what wife does and starts really digging on the ride home (we were all over creation looking at a few different brands) and finds a deal on one of those blinds I would consider a "lifetime blind".  Well too rich for my blood typically, but guy was pitching a decent deal.  I went onto their website last night to give them another look, as I didn't give them much thought after initial pricing months ago.  They were selling some demo's on the site at 40% off anywhere else I could find them.  Basically at the price it will cost me to get my glass blind, and put it on a tower.  Struggled with it all last night, back and forth with the wife, etc.  Anyhow, looked again this AM and both the demo's have sold.  So someone made up my mind for me.  Now that I know there are deals like that every now and then, it almost makes me want to just hunt out the damn pickup until something like that pops up again.  Frustrating af and feel like I'm back at square 1, about 60 days before opening morning.

Edited by fattyflattie

Hunting a place in Fort Bend on a vendor deal.  Was crazy good last year, we shall see what '20 holds.  

Little bit irritated with myself today.  Been going back and forth with what I want to do on a blind for several months.  Think I finally landed on a fiberglass 5x7.  Went and looked at a few in person yesterday, priced it all out, and felt pretty good.  Wife and kids really want to be involved, so that is why we've been looking at bigger blinds.  Well wife does what wife does and starts really digging on the ride home (we were all over creation looking at a few different brands) and finds a deal on one of those blinds I would consider a "lifetime blind".  Well too rich for my blood typically, but guy was pitching a decent deal.  I went onto their website last night to give them another look, as I didn't give them much thought after initial pricing months ago.  They were selling some demo's on the site at 40% off anywhere else I could find them.  Basically at the price it will cost me to get my glass blind, and put it on a tower.  Struggled with it all last night, back and forth with the wife, etc.  Anyhow, looked again this AM and both the demo's have sold.  So someone made up my mind for me.  Now that I know there are deals like that every now and then, it almost makes me want to just hunt out the damn pickup until something like that pops up again.  Frustrating af and feel like I'm back at square 1, about 60 days before opening morning.
Check out Redneck Blinds. I have soft side and plenty of room. It doesn't get cold enough in Texas for me to spend the extra money to have it all enclosed with windows.

Went and checked out a 130 acre sunflower field by Ennis. Place is packed with whitewing. I drove 100 yards along the field to meet up with the outfitter and got out with the checkbook in hand. The outfitter said "You want to see the other end of the property?" As long as you are only allowing 20 guns on here, sure, let's burn some of your diesel.
Had to have been at least 600 birds flying into that field while I was there. I got a video of about 50 whitewings coming into the field and light right out in the middle.
Looks like my son and I are set for dove now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Went and checked out a 130 acre sunflower field by Ennis. Place is packed with whitewing. I drove 100 yards along the field to meet up with the outfitter and got out with the checkbook in hand. The outfitter said "You want to see the other end of the property?" As long as you are only allowing 20 guns on here, sure, let's burn some of your diesel.
Had to have been at least 600 birds flying into that field while I was there. I got a video of about 50 whitewings coming into the field and light right out in the middle.

Reminds of the days as a kid on my aunts milo fields next to a stock tank.  My and by BF had H&R single-shot 20g shotguns and would limit out in less than an hour.  Often in half that time as we'd target doubles.  Most of the time spent was farting around looking for downed birds.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Reminds of the days as a kid on my aunts milo fields next to a stock tank.  My and by BF had H&R single-shot 20g shotguns and would limit out in less than an hour.  Often in half that time as we'd target doubles.  Most of the time spent was farting around looking for downed birds.  

I have a friend with the exact same setup, except sunflower.  

In a “run down there and fuck one, or walk down and fuck them all” type moment, we went out about 1500 one day and started hunting. Did ok, bout died of heatstroke.  His old man rolled out there about 20 mins before shooting time was up, and piled up a limit.   I’ll never forget it,  he was 15/15.    He looked at us, drunk, sunburned, and flat wore out, and just shook his head and drove off back to camp.   A tank on the edge of a field is my favorite type of dove hunt. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

20 guns on 130 acres, that is awesome.  Y’all have it for the season, or just ww?

14 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

I'm hoping that everyone can space themselves out and not hoard up a certain area.

Once Nobemver comes, I won't touch that field again as I have my own duck and deer place to hunt.

Depending on the layout of the field, that’s a ton of room. Down here in Houston there would be 60+ people on that.  Hopefully, if it’s anything like here the first 2 weeks will be busy and then you’ll have it to yourself.  Hell even the little 100 acre patch we hunt down in Sabinal would have 40-ish hunters.   If it’s got the right lines, shouldn’t be getting peppered. But people are stupid too (I’ve got plenty of lead in my face to prove it) so hopefully it’s laid out nice.  

Depending on the layout of the field, that’s a ton of room. Down here in Houston there would be 60+ people on that.  Hopefully, if it’s anything like here the first 2 weeks will be busy and then you’ll have it to yourself.  Hell even the little 100 acre patch we hunt down in Sabinal would have 40-ish hunters.   If it’s got the right lines, shouldn’t be getting peppered. But people are stupid too (I’ve got plenty of lead in my face to prove it) so hopefully it’s laid out nice.  
It actually laid out nicely where you can't shoot across from anyone and if you want to hunt out in the middle of the field, you can do so safely. My plans are to get away from the tree line/shade hunters with my son and hunt out by some powerlines the are on the far edge of the field. Saw tons of birds lighting out there
  • Hook 'Em 1

How did you find this place? I’ve been trying to talk some of in-laws friends near Ferris into letting my use some of their land.

How did you find this place? I’ve been trying to talk some of in-laws friends near Ferris into letting my use some of their land.
Found the outfitter on Facebook on the Texas Dove Hunter page.
My duck hunting property is outside of Ferris down by the Trinity.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Priced like a decent rifle.  Optics separate or packaged?  I guess the adage of "spend as much as you can on the glass" isn't quite the same, given the limited range.

I got it on Craigslist for a good discount. It was basically new open box never fired. A few years old stock but still new

all inclusive except broadheads

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

Did the ol' "Well... I _g u e s s_ you can paint this fence. I was having fun" thing last night & Monster cleaned my Mossberg 20 pump & Remington 12 auto last night.

I set the table with the Remy green pad, got the kit box out & spread out the guts... as soon as I walked by with the guns he perked up & wanted to handle everything.

Showed him how to break down the 12 & all I had left was the reassembly 20 minutes later.

I'm GtG for next Tuesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

My dad always told my brother and me that we could hunt pheasants with his friends and him on opening day if we cleaned his shotgun the night before. Great ritual. 

Great way to teach you the mechanism and component pieces of the gun.  Pops did the same with me.  Makes you a safer handler as well.  Something cathartic about it before and after the hunt.  

Set up the feeder and some cameras last weekend at the lease. Ordered a new spypoint solar panel cell camera and going to make a run out to set it up this weekend hopefully. Impressed with the testing that I have done at the house, just hoping that I have a strong signal out there. 

6S1.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Set up the feeder and some cameras last weekend at the lease. Ordered a new spypoint solar panel cell camera and going to make a run out to set it up this weekend hopefully. Impressed with the testing that I have done at the house, just hoping that I have a strong signal out there. 
6S1.gif
If you have a good signal for your phone, then it shouldn't be a problem. Works off the exact same technology.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6S1.gif

We’ve set up 4 of these in 2 different cities over the last 90 days. They work really well so far.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Great way to teach you the mechanism and component pieces of the gun.

While he isn't a gunsmith, Monster can probably tell you within a 5 year span when certain guns were produced, approx. how many were run in a model year, what nations use them for their military, which ones are POS's, rate of fire, what makes one generation better or worse than the others, etc.
Ever see the fat guy on the History Channel who works for the Armory @ West Point?  Yeah... that would prob. be my son in 30 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

@Anastasis

@Both Tacos

@T’Boo Ted Marshall

tell me more about spypoint cameras.   Which model(s) do you have?  On-line purchase?  The good, bad, ugly and indifferent.  

Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen. 

SPYPOINT Link-Micro-S-LTE 10.0 MP Cellular Trail Camera.  Found one for shipping from Academy @ 179.99.

Set up is A LOT easier than an older stealth cam cell camera that I also use (no longer use the cell function).  That thing was a pain in the ass to set up. Picture entering your email address, password, and other text setup prompts via the controls on the front of a game camera, lol. This one has a QR code that you scan and then turn the camera on to connect. SIM already installed, data plans purchased through app, first month unlimited transfers for free. Does not have a lot of options or settings, pretty stripped down, photos only. Settings managed through app and sync. Options for multi shot, delay, and transfer frequency and that's about it. You have to step up to the more expensive $400-500 spypoints to get those functions, but all I need is a peak to see what's moving around and when. Comes with a lithium battery and integrated solar panel, has option to connect to 12V source as well.  No opinion yet on picture quality in the field or battery life. 

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/spypoint-link-micro-s-100-mp-cellular-trail-camera#repChildCatSku=123522589

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=179]Anastasis[/mention]
[mention=1395]Both Tacos[/mention]
[mention=479]T’Boo Ted Marshall[/mention]
tell me more about spypoint cameras.   Which model(s) do you have?  On-line purchase?  The good, bad, ugly and indifferent.  
Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen. 
I have the Cuddelink system.

5 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

What are his thoughts on the Browning Hi-Power?

We talking the older models?  Most are collector items, like the early 1911's.  They are exceptionally well made.  Robust.  Revolutionary for their time and can hold their own with most modern designs.  They have more moving parts, can be more finicky if not properly cared for - but if you do your part, so will it.  

If you do get an older model, don't make her a safe queen.  

57 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

This!

We ran the SpyPoint cameras for a couple seasons and were constantly frustrated with them.  They would work for a couple weeks, but then stop.  We had battery issues and it seems like they were really sensitive (had moisture get in and mess up one of the cameras) and needed constant adjustment.  The app was buggy as well and sometimes we wouldn't get pics for a couple days, then we would get the pics from those days a week later.  Actually I'm not sure if that was the app or issues with our cell service, but it was frustrating.

We switched to Cuddelink last year and it was a much, much better experience.  We started with the Dual Cell Starter Kit 3+1 Model 11513 and I think we are up to 10 cameras now?  The picture quality isn't quite as good as what we were getting with traditional game cams (same with the SpyPoint), but it's good enough for us.  If I were a really serious trophy hunter, I would be tempted to run a traditional camera for a couple weeks, along with the SpyPoint or Cuddelink to make sure I had the best possible pics for creating the "hit list," then rely on the cell cameras to tell me who is showing up.   It's pretty great to get emails with game cam pics a couple times a day and then wake up to see what was happening during the night.

SpyPoint may have a better product now, and certainly part of our issue was we don't have the best cell service at our place.  The Cuddelink hub system allows us to put the hub where we know we have reliable cell coverage and then not have to worry about the areas where we don't.  That was the main reason we switched and it has worked like a charm for us.     

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:

This is what I've settled on.  I like the fact I can link a half dozen cameras around the ranch on the same plan.

9 minutes ago, 3shot said:

We ran the SpyPoint cameras for a couple seasons and were constantly frustrated with them.  They would work for a couple weeks, but then stop.  We had battery issues and it seems like they were really sensitive (had moisture get in and mess up one of the cameras) and needed constant adjustment.  The app was buggy as well and sometimes we wouldn't get pics for a couple days, then we would get the pics from those days a week later.

And because this mirrors about 90% of the reviews I've read with them.  

This!
We ran the SpyPoint cameras for a couple seasons and were constantly frustrated with them.  They would work for a couple weeks, but then stop.  We had battery issues and it seems like they were really sensitive (had moisture get in and mess up one of the cameras) and needed constant adjustment.  The app was buggy as well and sometimes we wouldn't get pics for a couple days, then we would get the pics from those days a week later.  Actually I'm not sure if that was the app or issues with our cell service, but it was frustrating.
We switched to Cuddelink last year and it was a much, much better experience.  We started with the Dual Cell Starter Kit 3+1 Model 11513 and I think we are up to 10 cameras now?  The picture quality isn't quite as good as what we were getting with traditional game cams (same with the SpyPoint), but it's good enough for us.  If I were a really serious trophy hunter, I would be tempted to run a traditional camera for a couple weeks, along with the SpyPoint or Cuddelink to make sure I had the best possible pics for creating the "hit list," then rely on the cell cameras to tell me who is showing up.   It's pretty great to get emails with game cam pics a couple times a day and then wake up to see what was happening during the night.
SpyPoint may have a better product now, and certainly part of our issue was we don't have the best cell service at our place.  The Cuddelink hub system allows us to put the hub where we know we have reliable cell coverage and then not have to worry about the areas where we don't.  That was the main reason we switched and it has worked like a charm for us.     
Yep, after doing research I went with Cuddelink. I like having as many cameras I want to put out and be under just one plan. Quality and reliability has been good for the past 2 seasons.

30 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
40 minutes ago, 3shot said:
This!

Read more  

Yep, after doing research I went with Cuddelink. I like having as many cameras I want to put out and be under just one plan. Quality and reliability has been good for the past 2 seasons.

When I was doing research recently (just joined lease this year, oof its been a big spend year) it mentioned that 2020 they were going to work on the pic quality, now that they had some other things worked out of the cuddelink system.   How true that is, I dont know.  But I've read it anyhow.

When I was doing research recently (just joined lease this year, oof its been a big spend year) it mentioned that 2020 they were going to work on the pic quality, now that they had some other things worked out of the cuddelink system.   How true that is, I dont know.  But I've read it anyhow.
The picture quality probably isn't going to get much better in order to be to get them to broadcast them remotely.
Remember that there will be a nice picture on the SD card within the camera if you want more detail.
The reason to get cell cameras is more for patterning and usage of a certain spot more than anything else.