2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

2 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

A place like Tractor Supply will use a forklift & drop a pallet in your truck or on your trailer.

Also, why not something better than corn?  Maybe even a 50-50 mix with protein pellets?

price about the same?  Im usually just buying the Walmart corn for $5 a bag bc im a cheap fuck and the deer in my area dont seem too discerning.  

4 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

A place like Tractor Supply will use a forklift & drop a pallet in your truck or on your trailer.

Also, why not something better than corn?  Maybe even a 50-50 mix with protein pellets?

Protein doesn’t do too well being broadcast onto the ground.   Moisture tends to make it crumble and turn to dust.   

My wife bought some protein blocks awhile back. One of them was wild berry or some such, it lasted maybe 12hours. We had several pictures of the deer fighting over it. The other one was apple/molasses. Checked last week and it is still there 3 weeks later. The pigs won't even touch it. Pretty solid product testing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

And gook up the spinner. 

Spot on.  If you go with protein / corn mix, make sure it's no more than 50/50 and make sure you have a water tight feeder.  We've fed 50/50 from May - August the last two years and have seen really nice improvements to the antler growth in that timeframe.  Will probably move to a stand alone protein feeder next spring.  We want to let the areas around the feeders "rest" for longer than just that February - May timeframe.  

28 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Spot on.  If you go with protein / corn mix, make sure it's no more than 50/50 and make sure you have a water tight feeder.  We've fed 50/50 from May - August the last two years and have seen really nice improvements to the antler growth in that timeframe.  Will probably move to a stand alone protein feeder next spring.  We want to let the areas around the feeders "rest" for longer than just that February - May timeframe.  

We've got several, and it helps to hold them in the general area as well, then back to munch at the feeders as needed.

• Hook 'Em 1

My son (10 yrs old) is going to try to stick a deer (or pig) with an arrow this season. Neither of us have ever bow hunted.

We went out this weekend (Austin County) and brushed in a pop-up ground blind near the intersection of 2 game trails that is also near a corner of a food plot we hunt annually. Our cameras near the location catch the traffic often. We have hunted this plot with a rifle and have seen many deer enter and exit the field from this corner. So we feel decent about that. We cut shooting lanes and practiced shots through the blind windows between 7 and 15 yards.

For those of you that bow hunt from pop-up/ground blinds - Do you wear camo or black? I'm assuming we need to wear black and black out our faces since the inside of the blind is black. I figure we open as few windows as possible so we don't get back lit. The blind has shoot-through mesh on the windows, but I'm not sure if we should leave those up since he's shooting low poundage (~35 lbs) draw weight. Most of our hunts will be evening hunts due to sports and church commitments on weekend mornings. How long before sunset do you guys get in the blind? 

Any thoughts? Suggestions? 

IMG_4464.jpeg

IMG_4462.jpeg

IMG_4509.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

@jkates 

Timing is really dependent on how long you can sit (if it is hot) before you sweat to death and start to stink.  Go as early as you can and still stay remotely comfortable.

I don't shot through screens.  I open my shooting windows.  I don't think they provide enough benefit to offset the downside of reduced visibility for you and the potential for accuracy issues.  Yes they hide you "better", but that's relative depending on where the blind is situated relative to the setting sun and how well you darken yourself in the blind. 

Face covering is more important than anything.  Hell, I often hunt in shorts and just made sure to wear dark covering on my upper body.  That really helps when it is hot.

Sitting as far back as you can will also help keep you in the shadows.  Spray down well with scent killers.  I know opinions are all over the place on them but my anecdotal experience is that they do no harm and appear to provide a benefit.  I see that pine tree over there.  I'd also grab a handful of pine needles and crush or grind them and rub them on pants, sleeves, hats, etc.  In the hill county I do this with cedar and it seems to help put some natural cover scents into the air.

Great that you had him practice drawing and shooting from the blind before you/he hunts.  It's possible (trust me!!!!!) to shoot the bottom of the window on a close shot.  Same issues with a scoped rifle and a pin-sighted bow - bullet or arrow path starts below the sight line.  You also want to know where to sit so that you can draw comfortably and quietly.

Your biggest noise generator when game is present will be your feet as you pivot and position to shoot.  Make sure you've cleared the floor of sticks and leaves.  I also think its of benefit to have a bare dirt floor for the smell.  I always stir up the dirt with my feet to generate that fresh earth smell.  I think that helps as a cover scent as well.  

Good luck - fire any more questions my way.  I've hunted in pop-ups for years both with a bow and a pistol.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

@jkates 

Timing is really dependent on how long you can sit (if it is hot) before you sweat to death and start to stink.  Go as early as you can and still stay remotely comfortable.

I don't shot through screens.  I open my shooting windows.  I don't think they provide enough benefit to offset the downside of reduced visibility for you and the potential for accuracy issues.  Yes they hide you "better", but that's relative depending on where the blind is situated relative to the setting sun and how well you darken yourself in the blind. 

Face covering is more important than anything.  Hell, I often hunt in shorts and just made sure to wear dark covering on my upper body.  That really helps when it is hot.

Sitting as far back as you can will also help keep you in the shadows.  Spray down well with scent killers.  I know opinions are all over the place on them but my anecdotal experience is that they do no harm and appear to provide a benefit.  I see that pine tree over there.  I'd also grab a handful of pine needles and crush or grind them and rub them on pants, sleeves, hats, etc.  In the hill county I do this with cedar and it seems to help put some natural cover scents into the air.

Great that you had him practice drawing and shooting from the blind before you/he hunts.  It's possible (trust me!!!!!) to shoot the bottom of the window on a close shot.  Same issues with a scoped rifle and a pin-sighted bow - bullet or arrow path starts below the sight line.  You also want to know where to sit so that you can draw comfortably and quietly.

Your biggest noise generator when game is present will be your feet as you pivot and position to shoot.  Make sure you've cleared the floor of sticks and leaves.  I also think its of benefit to have a bare dirt floor for the smell.  I always stir up the dirt with my feet to generate that fresh earth smell.  I think that helps as a cover scent as well.  

Good luck - fire any more questions my way.  I've hunted in pop-ups for years both with a bow and a pistol.

Excellent info. Thanks!

What about putting any sort of corn or mineral/attractant on the ground? It's been suggested to us to put some where we want the game to stop, right in a shooting lane. 

On 8/27/2020 at 3:17 PM, deadshank said:

Protein doesn’t do too well being broadcast onto the ground.   Moisture tends to make it crumble and turn to dust.   

We use a Lamco with a trough around it.  You have to keep it off the ground.  Free range with drop tubes are great, but year round, they will eat you out of house and home, so both are recommended.  Timer during off months, free range when growing and recovering.  

Edited by BabaYaga

My son (10 yrs old) is going to try to stick a deer (or pig) with an arrow this season. Neither of us have ever bow hunted.
We went out this weekend (Austin County) and brushed in a pop-up ground blind near the intersection of 2 game trails that is also near a corner of a food plot we hunt annually. Our cameras near the location catch the traffic often. We have hunted this plot with a rifle and have seen many deer enter and exit the field from this corner. So we feel decent about that. We cut shooting lanes and practiced shots through the blind windows between 7 and 15 yards.
For those of you that bow hunt from pop-up/ground blinds - Do you wear camo or black? I'm assuming we need to wear black and black out our faces since the inside of the blind is black. I figure we open as few windows as possible so we don't get back lit. The blind has shoot-through mesh on the windows, but I'm not sure if we should leave those up since he's shooting low poundage (~35 lbs) draw weight. Most of our hunts will be evening hunts due to sports and church commitments on weekend mornings. How long before sunset do you guys get in the blind? 
Any thoughts? Suggestions? 
IMG_4464.thumb.jpeg.3cec9c441d7e4294079cd0a680256901.jpeg
IMG_4462.thumb.jpeg.e5557ee5d5bfff12ae5b1bdc1a1aca37.jpeg
IMG_4509.thumb.jpeg.cd473a6036161d37cb9a3d257a6d68e4.jpeg

I would clear the twigs and brush out of that shooting lane more; I would definitely put a block or feeder (or hand corn) to hold the deer at a preset distance (~15yds or so) to let your son have time to wait for a broadside or preferably a quartering away shot opportunity, then time to get drawn and make a good shot.

Scent control is imperative. Wash all the hunting clothes in scent control soap and keep them in a sealed bin. Take showers in scent control soap/shampoo before heading out and use scent control deodorant. Spray down with scent control spray last thing before you walk to the blind.

Is your son shooting mechanicals or fixed blades?
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, jkates said:

Excellent info. Thanks!

What about putting any sort of corn or mineral/attractant on the ground? It's been suggested to us to put some where we want the game to stop, right in a shooting lane. 

Yes - you will be well concealed in that pop-up.  Give yourself plenty of clear shooting areas and some reason for them to stop.

You don't need to be so brushed in that you can't take a shot.  As long as the blind has been there for some time, they will be used to it anyway.  really you just need that new-blind smell to be gone.  I've killed plenty of deer and hogs with minimally brushed in blinds and I always keep the area in front of the window clear to the point that I can basically take any shot at any angle.

You can almost guarantee that if a potential shot is to present itself and you have any obstructions, the shot will inevitability be impacted by whatever brush is there.  They always stop at the worst possible place/time. 

Another tip would be to have him practice and improve his hold time.  My experience is that he'll want to draw as the deer or hog is coming toward the target area and not when it arrives.  First, when they are moving they are less likely to spook at the draw noise, and secondly, once they get where you want them, they invariably won't stay there long.  Plenty of times I've drawn on a deer which was where I wanted him and he'll spook for a second, and bump out of range or out of view...only to settle down and hold there for plenty of time if not for the distance or some being out of my sight line.  Have your son practice with a timer and try and get to where he can strengthen his hold and shoot accurately after 10, 15, up to 30 seconds if he can.  That's harder for someone not as strong but will make him more successful.  It also teaches him where his limits are so he knows he can't be consistently accurate after "x" amount of time. 

Oh, and yes, some corn and minerals spread around will help...even a pile of acorns or some apple slices depending on where you are and what they feed on.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 686 said:

I would clear the twigs and brush out of that shooting lane more; I would definitely put a block or feeder (or hand corn) to hold the deer at a preset distance (~15yds or so) to let your son have time to wait for a broadside or preferably a quartering away shot opportunity, then time to get drawn and make a good shot.

Scent control is imperative. Wash all the hunting clothes in scent control soap and keep them in a sealed bin. Take showers in scent control soap/shampoo before heading out and use scent control deodorant. Spray down with scent control spray last thing before you walk to the blind.

Is your son shooting mechanicals or fixed blades?

It sounds like I probably need to trim a few more branches and get a block.

We bought scent control spray and detergent and will be using those.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Also, something as simple as a salt lick or mineral block would help keep them at an exact spot.  In lieu of corn that would be spread a bit.  Just something to think about. 

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Yes - you will be well concealed in that pop-up.  Give yourself plenty of clear shooting areas and some reason for them to stop.

You don't need to be so brushed in that you can't take a shot.  As long as the blind has been there for some time, they will be used to it anyway.  really you just need that new-blind smell to be gone.  I've killed plenty of deer and hogs with minimally brushed in blinds and I always keep the area in front of the window clear to the point that I can basically take any shot at any angle.

You can almost guarantee that if a potential shot is to present itself and you have any obstructions, the shot will inevitability be impacted by whatever brush is there.  They always stop at the worst possible place/time. 

Another tip would be to have him practice and improve his hold time.  My experience is that he'll want to draw as the deer or hog is coming toward the target area and not when it arrives.  First, when they are moving they are less likely to spook at the draw noise, and secondly, once they get where you want them, they invariably won't stay there long.  Plenty of times I've drawn on a deer which was where I wanted him and he'll spook for a second, and bump out of range or out of view...only to settle down and hold there for plenty of time if not for the distance or some being out of my sight line.  Have your son practice with a timer and try and get to where he can strengthen his hold and shoot accurately after 10, 15, up to 30 seconds if he can.  That's harder for someone not as strong but will make him more successful.  It also teaches him where his limits are so he knows he can't be consistently accurate after "x" amount of time. 

Oh, and yes, some corn and minerals spread around will help...even a pile of acorns or some apple slices depending on where you are and what they feed on.

That's 2 votes for clearing the shooting lanes a bit more. I figured I could always go trim more if I didn't get enough on the first pass. 

He can hold 30 seconds right now and still make a good shot. Thankfully, someone gave us some advice on hold times a few weeks ago. He's done some short/quick holds to be ready to anchor and aim quickly if the deer only presents a good shot for a few seconds. And longer holds for if he needs to stay at full draw while waiting on the shot. It'll be his first time, but he's been shooting his bow for 2.5 years now and is starting to put nice little groups together at 10 yards. It's not as good at 20, but we likely won't be shooting if the target is past 15. 

Another vote for some minerals or something!

20 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

@jkates 

This is big... different world for a first time shooter from anything other than a standing position in the open air. Practice shooting from seated position and in the blind is great advice.

3 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

In my spot 20 minutes now - haven't seen a single bird, not of any species.

Heavy cloud cover, moderate wind coming from the SSE.

"Where all the White Wing at??"

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Blazing Saddles references still working in 2020.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Busted AM.

No birds, no shots off my place.

Going to a buddy's house that is prob
A near straight line 6½ to 7 miles due N of me & see how things are up there.

Hopefully this cloudy weather will break for the PM series.
Hope to be guns up around 1600, maybe 1700.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I finally gave up my lease this year. Been on it maybe 15 years. We used to murder the dove. White wing, mourning, Eurasian, pigeons. Tailgate hunting, no effort at all. Over the past 5 years it got worse and worse. My buddy that stayed on it reported to me today "saw four, shot one." I think I've killed three dove in one shot on this lease. No one around us has been shooting either. Corn all over the ground, it just sits there. My lease is 10 minutes from town. Used to have swarms of white wings all over my backyard. Now I see only a few here and there.

I wish I had an explanation.

I need a new lease bad.

10 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Had a friend asked me to borrow one of my shotguns for a weekend hunt.  Any advice on best way to handle?  I have never lent out any of my guns before so I want to be sure there is no weirdness I need to be aware of, legally speaking.  

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

Everyone should have a Rem 870 express or equivalent as a cheap backup/loaner gun.

I'd loan them one of my 1100's. I don't think that there are any legal issues to sweat unless you have knowledge that they are barred from possessing a firearm. I wouldn't think twice if this is someone that I actually knew.