2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

17 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Had a friend asked me to borrow one of my shotguns for a weekend hunt.  Any advice on best way to handle?  I have never lent out any of my guns before so I want to be sure there is no weirdness I need to be aware of, legally speaking.  

Give him your Marlin Model 55, bolt action, 10- gauge Tom Tom goose gun. 

F4382FA0-6340-4F40-BCBB-C517B79463BD.jpeg

• Like 2

Ha. Them Eurasian birds are bigger...that thing chambered for 3.5” #4s?

Reminds me of the time we took my Houston cousin pheasant hunting in the panhandle. We had him so sideways as he packed for his first real bird hunt. “I’d recommend you use a youth 20ga 870 with #8 otherwise you’re going to get tired in the field.” Dad chimes in “You’re out of your mind! and going to wound so many birds. Never pheasant hunt with anything under 34” barrel and 3.5” #2s preferably BB”

BroInLaw “no no no. Shot size doesn’t matter, what you want though is high brass, high velocity, and a full choke” and on and on.

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

In yall's expert opinions, what will these wet/cooler weather do for my chances this weekend?  Could not get away from work/home during the week but looking forward to Friday/Saturday.

There's no way to know.  Sometimes they move out, sometimes they stay (or maybe new birds come in).  Too many variables to give a reliable opinion on migratory birds, and it also depends a lot on where you are and what you are hunting (over water/grain fields/pass shooting a flyway?).  My guess is that whatever hunting pressure your area has had from earlier in the week will have moved the birds way more than the upcoming weather will.  Also, assuming you are in the CenTex area, I don't think it's going to get cold enough to move them.  No idea about the rain.

8 hours ago, deadshank said:

F4382FA0-6340-4F40-BCBB-C517B79463BD.jpeg

Boat motor shut down on us once on Oyster Creek coming out of the Pace Tract.  We trolling motored over to the side and pulled up next to a boat anchored on the shore and went to pulling plugs and the like trying to get it started back up.  Eventually a couple guys that owned the other boat walked up and one had that exact same gun.  They would sit on the edge of one of the oxbows and pass shoot at geese trading back and fourth between the refuge and the Pace.  I think they had a couple but man I wouldn't want to shoot that beast a bunch on overhead shots.  They guy offered to let us shoot it but we didn't want any of that at all.

Fast forward a couple of years at we are up at our family place hunting ducks on a newly formed lake which took a portion of our land.  Duck hunting was fantastic first couple of years in the timber and with the short seasons and reduced bag limits we started hunting with single shots just to make it more interesting.   

One of my buddies from school brought his brother over for a hunt around Christmas and he showed up with an H&R 10ga single shot.  He had a couple of boxes of shells and we all took a turn with a 3.5" 2-1/2oz of #2 lead shotshell  at clay pigeons.  The recoil was real.  

/CSB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

1100 Light 20 Limited edition is my favorite shotgun to shoot.

Love small 20 gauges - fit and sight line be damned.  Shoot it enough and you learn a good position, even if the butt isn't on your shoulder.

Yep.  Still have an old Browning B80 that is a few decades old.  Man, I used to be deadly with that little gun.  Rusty is my old age....

My son (10 yrs old) is going to try to stick a deer (or pig) with an arrow this season. Neither of us have ever bow hunted.
We went out this weekend (Austin County) and brushed in a pop-up ground blind near the intersection of 2 game trails that is also near a corner of a food plot we hunt annually. Our cameras near the location catch the traffic often. We have hunted this plot with a rifle and have seen many deer enter and exit the field from this corner. So we feel decent about that. We cut shooting lanes and practiced shots through the blind windows between 7 and 15 yards.
For those of you that bow hunt from pop-up/ground blinds - Do you wear camo or black? I'm assuming we need to wear black and black out our faces since the inside of the blind is black. I figure we open as few windows as possible so we don't get back lit. The blind has shoot-through mesh on the windows, but I'm not sure if we should leave those up since he's shooting low poundage (~35 lbs) draw weight. Most of our hunts will be evening hunts due to sports and church commitments on weekend mornings. How long before sunset do you guys get in the blind? 
Any thoughts? Suggestions? 
IMG_4464.thumb.jpeg.3cec9c441d7e4294079cd0a680256901.jpeg
IMG_4462.thumb.jpeg.e5557ee5d5bfff12ae5b1bdc1a1aca37.jpeg
IMG_4509.thumb.jpeg.cd473a6036161d37cb9a3d257a6d68e4.jpeg
Definitely wear black. Long sleeve if possible. Black face mask or paint as well. Evening hunts, set up with sun at your back if possible.

Other tips: no squeaky chairs, swivel is best so you can move slightly without moving your body. Don't use mesh windows. Only keep front windows open, and try to pin them up in the corners to make opening smaller. The key is to block out as much light as possible. Sit in the very back of the blind so you are invisible.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Buddy from up north, said when he hunted in Canada he obviously asked about bears, but the locals told him to watch his 6 for Moose.  Said they will stomp a mudhole in you and can be insanely territorial.  Like the water buffalo in Africa, everyone thinks lions, etc. but they are among the most dangerous animals.

Crazy how big and fast they are!

Sitting next to a dry-ass field near Brady. So dry, the food plots came up pretty weak, and there’s no damned water. We’re scattered around the field. 2 down so far. At least there’s a nice breeze kicking off of the storms down near Austin.

Oh well. Needed to get the boy out of the house and among some guys shooting the shit and drinking beer. Going a bit stir crazy in the house with just online school. All his buddies are dealing with some stress and depression. Trying to alleviate at least a little bit of it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Buddy from up north, said when he hunted in Canada he obviously asked about bears, but the locals told him to watch his 6 for Moose.  Said they will stomp a mudhole in you and can be insanely territorial.  Like the water buffalo in Africa, everyone thinks lions, etc. but they are among the most dangerous animals.

Crazy how big and fast they are!

Years ago when I was in Fairbanks one April, there was a young moose that had staked out a territory outside the library at the university.  He nearly fucked up a few students trying to get inside.  Was funny and terrifying at the same time.

Going after it again on my place in Drippin'.

Wet from all the rain, straight up overcast, a solid grey.

Positioned myself facing towards the ENE this time (blue indicator) as Opening Day saw them headed as the arrow shows probably on the way to the pond that's been dug out.

0725 & Only now starting to hear Tweety birds making sounds... no movement from anything save 1 Dragonfly & a lone bee that came to check me out.

Winds totally calm.

Prior hide was under the cedars in pic # 3, what few birds I had came in from behind / off my R.

0bfd8d1c224bd9048165a016ce3d9e69.jpg7879bb4e5a813706095c072dfe29e81f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

20603748c5e966e6868d10e2bc3a8448.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

You still at it?  Has your old lady brought you some more coffee yet?
Still sitting.

Hearing occasional shots way off, nothing passing by over here.

Only Dragonflies & had 2 smaller "non Dove" birds rocket from behind me to due N, that was maybe 20 minutes ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

PM hunt in Fort Bend yesterday. Rain held off till last 15 mins. Ended up with a little better than half limit.  It was the highest flying birds I’ve ever hunted, including geese. I’ve never seen anything like it and I guess it was just the layout of the field we were on.  We only had 2 small groups come in at normal height, knocked down all of those, so it wasn’t *just* bad shooting. Switched to Full chokes about halfway thru to have a chance.  Field was waaaaay too small for the layout and hunters we had, lots of head down after the other side shot.  But pretty good group of hunters kept it down ALOT more than it could have been.  A bunch of yahoos out there would have been scary.  Most of my lease mates went down to Premont. They...got some rain. 

• Hook 'Em 1