2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Thanks.....  Low fence north of Fredericksburg on 16.

He might get ground checked by a bow hunter this year if he messes up.  Next year he’s a gun deer for sure based on my group’s system.

Based on my groups system (which is me and my boy in a blind by a feeder on a low fence property in medina county) that guy would be dead on first sight. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Damn that's a honey hole right there. 

We are a small, low fence place; but luckily not too much pressure from the neighbors so we have the luxury of letting some nice 3 yr olds walk. We have cleared tons of cedar; fertilize and plant kleingrass and food plot about 5 acres a year. The wildlife has responded well.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Managed to actually get in position today 3 minutes before sunrise.

Haven't seen a single bird move to / from / by the pond.

I'm further WSW from the prior spot, maybe 75 yards & on a trail gap. My hopeful thinking is if any birds do come, it might be along this path as a natural guide?

Dunno... sucks that my own joint seems to be devoid of anything that attracts dove.

Possibly better come Wednesday once the cold front comes through, dunno.eae545da36c609f89ab55c8aafdaf65c.jpg09f44781fff7078544998c0ca8fd21e8.jpg81783885c8c53ae3731fa683fb2e9a07.jpg4e5737071395c71b77652edf3e997a61.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Titchy thing, but I reckon the wildlife ag nearly demands axis be taken when possible.

20200907_162221.jpg

Axis are twitchy as all get out.  Guess being raised in an environment where your most significant natural predator is a tiger will do that to you.  Taste amazing.  I'd argue better than elk.  

I think that's a similar genetic code which makes Auodad so wary. 

God built them survive north African cats so that's why they seem to react as if a .270 in the shoulder is a welcome relief to what they think was trying to "get them".

And that's where the comparison stops - because as delicious as Axis are, Auodad....well, they aren't "delicious".

• Hook 'Em 1

Skipped the dove hunt this weekend and put in a lot of tractor work for deer food plots. Mowed, disced, drug, planted, drug again. Hopefully, Mr. Big Buck and his harem will enjoy the dining experience close enough to my son's bow blind. (Cat Spring, TX)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BayouBill said:

We're looking to start replacing a few of the ground and tower blinds at our place soon. Curious to what yall may recommend. Mainly wanting to spend less than $1000 per blind. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We use Dillon and have been very happy with them so far.  Most of the insulated, fiberglass options are all going to work and last for years.  They might be a little over the indicated price point, but I know I've seen Cabelas options for < $1k.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BayouBill said:

We're looking to start replacing a few of the ground and tower blinds at our place soon. Curious to what yall may recommend. Mainly wanting to spend less than $1000 per blind. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Check out Craigslist.  There are a shit-ton of them on there in your price range in Texas.

¿Build your own?

Done this twice. Once for a deer blind and another for duck.

The duck we stuck to my specs and turned out great. The deer was originally intended to be a 2 man blind but a few weekends of working with Bud Heavy and Keystone Light, we now call it the hotel blind because we can easily fit 5 people in it.

You might try Craigslist. We found a guy that was getting kicked off a lease and took his 3 steel blinds with stands and a 1k lb feeder for $2000.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

You might try Craigslist. We found a guy that was getting kicked off a lease and took his 3 steel blinds with stands and a 1k lb feeder for $2000.

Damn that's a great deal.  I was all over it this last spring, but waited on some deals and missed them all.  

@BayouBill I've been all over Craigslist, and wife has brought me 2x as many options off Facebook Marketplace.  Went back and forth between fiberglass and steel blinds, and eventually just decided to do it myself with good windows and RV door.  Just couldn't justify the price for the size I need.  If you are looking for 4x6 types, there are tons of options. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Consumer alert:

Make sure your shirt doesn’t get caught on the butt of your shotgun when you’re torching off 12-ga. high brass while trying to make a quick shot on a surprise dove rocketing by.  The butt is the shotgun is supposed to nest on your shoulder and not on your bicep.  

EB439422-33A9-4351-BA79-35C189627A7F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Consumer alert:

Make sure your shirt doesn’t get caught on the butt of your shotgun when you’re torching off 12-ga. high brass while trying to make a quick shot on a surprise dove rocketing by.  The butt is the shotgun is supposed to nest on your shoulder and not on your bicep.  

Yep.  And that's why I have rifle scope scar between my eyebrows from forgetting to ground my deer rifle to my shoulder before pulling the trigger.  I did kill the deer, so I've got that going for me...  I was almost as bloody as the the deer when I was field dressing it.  Lesson learned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I have shut down my late Father's mobile blind company and I am in the process of selling off the inventory. I have sold all of the 5x7 blinds, but have some 4x6 blinds on 8 and 10 foot towers. I made sure and ran this to Immac before posting. 

This was an idea my Dad came up with when I still lived in Austin. Anytime we changed leases, the landowners want everything off in 72 hours. With me in Austin, and both of my uncles still working, he wanted blinds that he could go pick up himself. We also had times that we would set a blind and the spot just turned out to be not very good. In my estimation over the last 20 years, he had lost close to $6k on having to leave blinds and feeders on property that we couldn't get to within 72 hours, so this was his solution.

All of these trailers are hand built by older oilfield workers that didn't want to travel anymore, the powder coated frames have a lifetime warranty. The blinds are pulled up by a 4000 lb. winch connected to a marine battery, which is connected to a 12v controlled solar panel, to prevent overcharging. There is also a voltage meter to tell if your battery is dead before you get to your lease, or are removing it from your lease. It has a hand built aluminum ladder to save weight. There are outriggers on each side, in the back that extend out to about 18 feet. These units aren't cheap, my base 4x6 on an 8  foot tower runs $9995 (but there will be a Surly discount) and run up to $11,250 for a 10 foot tower and camo Boss blind, but if you have a shop, or shed to store it in, it will last the rest of your life, and then some.

The blinds we use are rugged enough to be pulled at highway speeds, I've pulled one over 90 mph before to get around some gravel trucks. We use https://www.bossgamesystems.com blinds on our premium models, and http://www.texasdeerstands.com on our base models.  They are light enough to pulled by a UTV, or 4 wheeler. Feel free to PM me with any questions, or any interest.

CHIEF

Swiftliftfront.jpg

spacer.png

Swiftlift-Folded.jpg

Edited by CHIEF
outriggers
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Worst I ever had was hunting a frozen soybean field.  Laying down and took two quick shots straight up or maybe even a bit backward on a high flying specklebelly with  3 1/2’s.  Hard ground underneath, hard recoil from on top and a bad position with the butt took its toll.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Worst I ever had was hunting a frozen soybean field.  Laying down and took two quick shots straight up or maybe even a bit backward on a high flying specklebelly with  3 1/2’s.  Hard ground underneath, hard recoil from on top and a bad position with the butt took its toll.  

Like, bags of frozen soybeans everywhere? That’s a tough camo pattern to find.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Like, bags of frozen soybeans everywhere? That’s a tough camo pattern to find.

I had to laugh!  

Those bean fields are a goose magnet, but that's unforgiving terrain when it freezes.  Never thought I'd miss swatting mosquitoes and sweating my balls off in a marsh but I did.

On 9/9/2020 at 3:32 PM, deadshank said:

Consumer alert:

LOL, we've all been there.  Badge of honor

giphy.gif

Sat my place again tonight - got there later than I wanted, around 20 min. before sunset, which was a gorgeous Burnt Orange.

Only 1 lone bird & it came up off the pond & then probably straight towards me before veering, all where I couldn't see it. My only available shot would have been in a ⅛ second window between a cedar (to the R of the pic) & out of sight.

88f12eabb195cba0c3985ba5bf71c5bf.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2