2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

Out at our lease for the first time this season. Headed to a tank, no birds. Came back out towards the front - hay crew had cut, and kicked up 80 birds in the field. Got set up, and while it was late for them to come to food, still got a couple. And importantly...we have a great spot and plan for tomorrow.

And the sunset, probably due to wildfire smoke, was kickass.

3aea61efa80d4c8acae7ea60dd4dc614.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Started the day with a teal hunt. My place doesn't get many teal during early season but I had work to do here so decided to put in a hunt before getting things done. Ended up with the only teal that came in.
Then went to spreading seed and using the drag in the deer food plot. Moved the blind for a better shooting lanes and concealment. Hoping this rain this week is just enough to get things growing. d6a3c7a23f4ab21ef9589e96fc8626d6.jpgb1b03bf1c620fcf2b5c26ec83d4c1cbe.jpg720e9e6a8eb5822344a0d381ffd31c6d.jpg43c626204a30755c86a267a6eb9f4d45.jpge00b3b1963e8e071061d972bbb45a5e6.jpge24b8b74ca3e24890bbe10d93c1fe797.jpg095dbf732e8ce40ccf597c678994e11c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 3:39 PM, Jerry Callo said:

I have a 12 and a 20.  It is tough to find ammo that the 12 will cycle without jams.  20 is a little more forgiving.  

You need to do some research on setting and lubing the friction rings on an Auto-5 if you are having jams.  Is that 12 a Light Field or Magnum?  Magnums won't cycle light field loads unless you remove one set of friction rings and swap out the spring for a light spring.  Lube it up pretty good and then you can shoot clays or dove loads with it.

38 minutes ago, davidg said:

You need to do some research on setting and lubing the friction rings on an Auto-5 if you are having jams.  Is that 12 a Light Field or Magnum?  Magnums won't cycle light field loads unless you remove one set of friction rings and swap out the spring for a light spring.  Lube it up pretty good and then you can shoot clays or dove loads with it.

It's a Light 12.  I've been through the friction rings and springs.  I've had 3 or 4 gunsmiths look at it.  It has a Cutt's Compensator installed on the end of the barrel and I think it actually affects the recoil and ejection.  I prefer the 20g for dove anyway.  I just purchased a couple pumps that are keeping occupied at this point - letting the A5s take a break.

MeatEater Season 9, Ep 5. What are your thoughts? I wonder how many of you have been in this situation. What did you do? Not looking to blast people's decisions. Just curious.

In this episode, Steven is in Colorado hunting elk with muzzle loader. He stalks an elk, rushes a shot which is maybe a little too far for the gun, and the shot hits the elk but it runs off. He searches for the elk for that night and the next day. He sees blood, but very of it. Unsure if the elk will live or die, he makes the decision that his tag is filled, even thought he doesn't have the elk or know for sure that it's going to die. He goes into detail of how the thought of injuring game and not confirming the kill will haunt him. But he does add that if the elk dies, it will nourish the environment by feeding bears, birds and other animals. Still he feels guilty for the error and quits the hunt.

My thoughts, he hunts for a living, meaning he hunts a shitton and has many opportunities to fill his freezer with game. In addition, I don't think he "paid" out of pocket for the cost of the hunt (travel, lodging, feed, tag, etc). He has the luxury of taking the high road knowing that he'll have other opportunities to or maybe already had filled his freezer. Plus he's hunted elk in Colorado numerous times.

If you were from out of state and paid thousands for the opportunity to take a elk in Colorado and you shot an elk but couldn't find it, would you keep hunting? What if it's your first and maybe last elk trip to Colorado?

Just interested in the discussion around the ethics of hunting.

Edited by crash_davis

27 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

MeatEater Season 9, Ep 5. What are your thoughts? I wonder how many of you have been in this situation. What did you do? Not looking to blast people's decisions. Just curious.

In this episode, Steven is in Colorado hunting elk with muzzle loader. He stalks an elk, rushes a shot which is maybe a little too far for the gun, and the shot hits the elk but it runs off. He searches for the elk for that night and the next day. He sees blood, but very of it. Unsure if the elk will live or die, he makes the decision that his tag is filled, even thought he doesn't have the elk or know for sure that it's going to die. He goes into detail of how the thought of injuring game and not confirming the kill will haunt him. But he does add that if the elk dies, it will nourish the environment by feeding bears, birds and other animals. Still he feels guilty for the error and quits the hunt.

My thoughts, he hunts for a living, meaning he hunts a shitton and has many opportunities to fill his freezer with game. In addition, I don't think he "paid" out of pocket for the cost of the hunt (travel, lodging, feed, tag, etc). He has the luxury of taking the high road knowing that he'll have other opportunities to or maybe already had filled his freezer. Plus he's hunted elk in Colorado numerous times.

If you were from out of state and paid thousands for the opportunity to take a elk in Colorado and you shot an elk but couldn't find it, would you keep hunting? What if it's your first and maybe last elk trip to Colorado?

Just interested in the discussion around the ethics of hunting.

I'm not coming off that mountain until I find that animal.  Period.  I'm tagging it upon discovery.  Geo-tagging the location with watch.  Salvaging what I can.  Taking the rack, and alerting the game warden of what happened (as often leaving an up-processed carcass is a big no-no.  

If I absolutely can't find the animal - I'm so sick and disgusted I'm done.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Let me also expound on the question from a conservation standpoint:  the tags are for the animals, not us. 

The US leads the world by a very significant margin in terms of effective game management.  The # of tags are determined by biologists who make the determination based upon a myriad of factors as to how to best protect the animals and habitat.  I would be so utterly disgusted with myself that I'd mope until time eternal.  That's my heart.  This is from my head - the conservation angle.  There are no better stewards for wild animals than hunters.  We have the obligation and responsibility to take this very seriously and understand the "WHY" behind limits and regulations.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Those Russian boars can be some nasty creatures.

Those John Deere's like you have in the pics above are very handy.

I use ours almost every day to mow, dig, and move things around.

And yes those boars are nasty.

The buzzards don't even touch them for several days.

0509180735.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not coming off that mountain until I find that animal.  Period.  I'm tagging it upon discovery.  Geo-tagging the location with watch.  Salvaging what I can.  Taking the rack, and alerting the game warden of what happened (as often leaving an up-processed carcass is a big no-no.  

This. A few years ago, shot a nice 8-point...not realizing my scope had been jarred, so my heart shot hit him in the rear knee. He went down hard, thought he would stay down. Then he got up and ran off.

Heavy rainstorm hit. As it started to let up, I went tracking him (all tracks and blood washed away). So, I just worked the direction, and walked in a grid. 500 yards later, he gets up out of some brush and runs again...no shot. But I could see where he headed. Another 300 yards, tracked him till we got to rock, so no tracks. Kept the rifle at a low ready. 50 yards away, he gets up and runs again, gave me a shot (and yes, I compensated to the left), and I dropped him. I was going to track him till I either got him, or ran out of property without trespassing.

It was raining the whole time. By the time I was done, I was soaked to the skin, had water in my boots and mud up to my ears.

I hunt long and hard for downed birds, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

This. Wounding an animal and not finding it is probably the worst part of hunting. 

17 minutes ago, mapplewhite132 said:

This. Wounding an animal and not finding it is probably the worst part of hunting. 

For many, it's WHY they hunt.  They have seen all the videos of animals at slaughter houses packed together, suffering, horrible conditions, etc.  I'm not one of those people, but I respect their motivations.  To be able to ethically harvest your own meat is a real game-changer for many.  Not only to know where it comes from, but to be able to source it yourself is a huge draw for many.  Many also feel adrenalin can sour the taste of meat - this is a debated topic, but many swear that animals that run & suffer have a different taste.  

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

For many, it's WHY they hunt.  They have seen all the videos of animals at slaughter houses packed together, suffering, horrible conditions, etc.  I'm not one of those people, but I respect their motivations.  To be able to ethically harvest your own meat is a real game-changer for many.  Not only to know where it comes from, but to be able to source it yourself is a huge draw for many.  Many also feel adrenalin can sour the taste of meat - this is a debated topic, but many swear that animals that run & suffer have a different taste.  

A lead fragment the size of a grain of rice is enough to kill an eagle if it consumes a dead carcass that was shot.  

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

A lead fragment the size of a grain of rice is enough to kill an eagle if it consumes a dead carcass that was shot.  

Fuck I hope that’s not right because I could make a few grains of rice with the lead in my faceneck and thighs. 

@crash_davis no way I’m continuing on that hunt.  That’s the most depressing and absolutely gut wrenching feeling. I took a bad shot and had a complete miss last year (documented on last yrs thread, still don’t know wtf). I searched for an hour and a half or so in the complete dark before my mind clicked, I saw dust fly. Went and found the bullet’s jacket in the dirt. Instant relief. Still didn’t know if gun was off so spent the last AM just observing the animals. Scope verified good later, full on pulled the shot. Respect for our resource is the highest priority. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Fuck I hope that’s not right because I could make a few grains of rice with the lead in my faceneck and thighs. 

@crash_davis no way I’m continuing on that hunt.  That’s the most depressing and absolutely gut wrenching feeling. I took a bad shot and had a complete miss last year (documented on last yrs thread, still don’t know wtf). I searched for an hour and a half or so in the complete dark before my mind clicked, I saw dust fly. Went and found the bullet’s jacket in the dirt. Instant relief. Still didn’t know if gun was off so spent the last AM just observing the animals. Scope verified good later, full on pulled the shot. Respect for our resource is the highest priority. 

According to the news, they found more than a dozen dead eagles in Pennsylvania a few years ago and suspected lead poisoning.  I don't know if they ever fully diagnosed it and I'm not going to look it up now because there's been a few dead eagle sightings in Pennsylvania.  But here's a quick article on lead poisoning in birds of prey: https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/uncategorized/lead-toxicity-its-for-the-birds/

6 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

According to the news, they found more than a dozen dead eagles in Pennsylvania a few years ago and suspected lead poisoning.  I don't know if they ever fully diagnosed it and I'm not going to look it up now because there's been a few dead eagle sightings in Pennsylvania.  But here's a quick article on lead poisoning in birds of prey: https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/uncategorized/lead-toxicity-its-for-the-birds/

Why waterfowl hunters have to use steel shot and the wardens don't mess around with the rule - yeah, it's a big, big deal.  Modern hunting rounds are intentionally designed to stay intact.  On large game, penetration and cavitation is what kills.  They will "flower", but generally they are not frangible, even upon striking bone IF you choose the proper round....putting the onus on the hunter to choose the proper ammunition.

Here's a pick of a mule deer shot in the neck with an improper round designed for thin-skinned animals - can be dangerous to people as well.  

lead-fragments-in-mule-deer.jpg

Where I live, next to a wooded area, there are poachers and I'll hear shots at night sometimes and find dead deer laying near the neighborhood or on occasion, next to the bike trail.  I wish they'd come and get them but the antlers will be sawed off and the body left.  The cops won't go out because it's unlit, a maze and our neighborhood force is too small.  One told me they didn't want to get ambushed. Deer need to be culled which I get.  It's good to read some hunters are serious about finishing the hunt. Deer are culled in Rockcreek park in DC, with the meat going to restaurants and soup kitchens.  And they bow hunt them.  Side note, I saw a herd of them on the freeway, multiple dead and a buck was stuck by a vehicle as I was exiting. The sides of the freeway were fenced in so there was nowhere for them to go--guess they came down the side elsewhere. It was depressing so I understand the need.  

https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2019/12/rockville-oks-managed-hunt-to-control-deer-population/  

Edited by Mdhorn

Biological magnification was the driving force behind the outlawing of lead for waterfowl.  

The contaminating or poisoning effects move up and magnify throughout the food chain.  

That entails not only shot birds that eventually die and are consumed (pellets included) but even shot that accumulates on the marsh floor for instance, and is picked up by bottom feeders; whether birds or fish.  As they die and are scavenged, the lead builds up.

I did a research paper in the early 80's on the move from lead to steel shot and it was very interesting.  Hell, that may be all I remember from high school.

I also still have a couple of cases of lead #4 Remington Express Magnum waterfowl loads.  That was some hard hitting stuff!

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Where I live, next to a wooded area, there are poachers and I'll hear shots at night sometimes and find dead deer laying near the neighborhood or on occasion, next to the bike trail.  I wish they'd come and get them but the antlers will be sawed off and the body left.  The cops won't go out because it's unlit, a maze and our neighborhood force is too small.  One told me they didn't want to get ambushed. Deer need to be culled which I get.  It's good to read some hunters are serious about finishing the hunt. Deer are culled in Rockcreek park in DC, with the meat going to restaurants and soup kitchens.  And they bow hunt them.  Side note, I saw a herd of them on the freeway, multiple dead and a buck was stuck by a vehicle as I was exiting. The sides of the freeway were fenced in so there was nowhere for them to go--guess they came down the side elsewhere. It was depressing so I understand the need.  

https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2019/12/rockville-oks-managed-hunt-to-control-deer-population/  

Were the wardens called?  Not the purview of the patrol officers really.   

I've gotten to where I only do head shots on deer that I am not considering mounting, or I aim at the white spot under their chin if they are good enough for a European mount. If you hit them it kills them with no running after the shot, if you miss you miss completely (I guess, haven't missed yet). For long shots, I make a noise to get them to face me head on, to get a bit of forgiveness on bullet drop. After losing a couple in my younger years, this has worked well for me.

CHIEF

• Like 1

Just now, CHIEF said:

I've gotten to where I only do head shots on deer that I am not considering mounting, or I aim at the white spot under their chin if they are good enough for a European mount. If you hit them it kills them with no running after the shot, if you miss you miss completely (I guess, haven't missed yet). For long shots, I make a noise to get them to face me head on, to get a bit of forgiveness on bullet drop. After losing a couple in my younger years, this has worked well for me.

CHIEF

I take neck shots for essentially the same reason.  

AFzPe-_zx6fYgKw9ygyEMQ4q9g1ag5xBq9qJg_s6

• Like 2

I shoot exactly where @BabaYaga graphic shows.  @CHIEF I’m glad it works for you, but I’ve tracked down (and not found many) tons of deer shot in the face, jaw, white patch just alittle too far to the left and right.  It’s pretty common for people to fuck that shot up. 

Edited by fattyflattie
*shot in face, not shit in face, although...
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I shoot exactly where @BabaYaga graphic shows.  @CHIEF I’m glad it works for you, but I’ve tracked down (and not found many) tons of deer shot in the face, jaw, white patch just alittle too far to the left and right.  It’s pretty common for people to fuck that shot up. 

I went the head shot route and never missed for years. Then I did miss. Hit the deer in the jaw and I felt so fucking bad I will never do that again. Shot from the utv. It suffered for maybe a minute as I hauled ass down the road to dispatch it with my pistol. Never again. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Quoted for truth.  Exactly what I do.  

I'll never argue with an experienced hunter taking head shots (I know and respect many), but for me the downside outweighs the benefit.

The "off switch" in @BabaYaga's picture causes an immediate ass drop and then the upper body follows it down.

On 9/22/2020 at 8:34 AM, BabaYaga said:

Why waterfowl hunters have to use steel shot and the wardens don't mess around with the rule - yeah, it's a big, big deal.  Modern hunting rounds are intentionally designed to stay intact.  On large game, penetration and cavitation is what kills.  They will "flower", but generally they are not frangible, even upon striking bone IF you choose the proper round....putting the onus on the hunter to choose the proper ammunition.

Here's a pick of a mule deer shot in the neck with an improper round designed for thin-skinned animals - can be dangerous to people as well.  

lead-fragments-in-mule-deer.jpg

Barnes TSX for the win!

• Like 1