2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

Took a friend from Scouts (was Cubs @ the time, now we're up into the Troop level) & we were on my place w/ what was @ the time unoccupied; land adjacent was owned by aggy & they weren't doing anything with it.

Anyhow, he took his shot around 15, maybe 20 minutes prior to sunset (this was prob. 5 years ago).  We thought it was a SwingAnnaMiss & walked towards the spotted location (I didn't glass it when he shot, was probably a 75 to 100 yarder & I think on a 30-06).  Get closer & there we see a different buck, just kinda standing around with his head hung low like a horse nodding off & lower than topline - Scouter takes a standing shot while balanced on my shoulder (had a R ear plug AND muffs on), drops it.

We get on scene & it's got 2 hits on it.  Dropped shot in the dead switch like @BabaYaga posted & a 2nd hit in the face.  Turns out that was Scouter's 1st shot & Bucky was standing around with a "shit, that fucking hurts!" thing going on.

Had it mounted, solid 8 point with decent Dripping Springs shoulder mass, size.  Taxi did his work w/ the head turned to the L so it's not an easy view to see the busted face.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure where to put this, but we need a dedicated "Outdoors-type" board that covers all these items.  As if hunting and the outdoors is just a "hobby".....anyway:

Great American Outdoors Act Signed into Law - didn't see if before, but on Aug 4th is was signed into law.  

• 1.9 Billion a year for five years in the National Parks and Public Land Legacy Restoration Fund to provide much needed maintenance and infrastructure in the national parks, wildlife refuges, recreational areas and Native American Indian Schools.
  • will use royalties from offshore oil and natural gas to PERMANENTLY fund the Land and Water Conservation Fund at the amount of 900 mil. Per year to invest in in conservation and recreational opportunities across the nation.

Sec. of the Interior....David Bernhardt said it was the most consequential dedicated funding for our national parks, wildlife refuges, etc. in US history since T. Roosevelt.  This is phenomenal news for all outdoorsmen.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Not sure where to put this, but we need a dedicated "Outdoors-type" board that covers all these items.  As if hunting and the outdoors is just a "hobby".....anyway:

Great American Outdoors Act Signed into Law - didn't see if before, but on Aug 4th is was signed into law.  

• 1.9 Billion a year for five years in the National Parks and Public Land Legacy Restoration Fund to provide much needed maintenance and infrastructure in the national parks, wildlife refuges, recreational areas and Native American Indian Schools.
  • will use royalties from offshore oil and natural gas to PERMANENTLY fund the Land and Water Conservation Fund at the amount of 900 mil. Per year to invest in in conservation and recreational opportunities across the nation.

Sec. of the Interior....David Bernhardt said it was the most consequential dedicated funding for our national parks, wildlife refuges, etc. in US history since T. Roosevelt.  This is phenomenal news for all outdoorsmen.  

Its a pretty great piece of bipartisan legislation.  Congress also passed a really good Public Lands package in 2019.  And it looks like the govt is going to eventually do the right thing and block the Pebble Mine project.  With all the other division and political turmoil in the country, its good to see bipartisan effort to protect wilderness for future generations (though disappointing that our Tx senators seem to always vote the wrong way on this stuff).  

• Hook 'Em 3

Soo. I’m going to replace a lack of a deer feeder on the back half of my hunting grounds tomorrow. we didn’t get to depopulate the hogs as much as I had hoped we would this summer so the hog pipe just kinda kept them fed. Dumb me.

It’s rolling plains Texas (Wilbarger co) but we had some decent deer all season, only took one buck and one doe. The 3 big bucks are still a round and so are a couple of smaller bucks we’ve seen in late spring.

Here’s my question. Any of y’all put chicken wire around yalls feeders to keep the coons, hogs and squirrels from robbing the feeder blind? Seems to be a mixed bag from my searching online about knocking down the spread to more hassle than it’s worth to couldn’t live without it. I passed on the prebuilt spreader cage as most of what I read says the coons can easily reach through and still get the corn.

I bought some 2” chicken wire mesh in prep but figured I’d hit y’all up before I spend the time and effort tomorrow after the drive out.

29 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Soo. I’m going to replace a lack of a deer feeder on the back half of my hunting grounds tomorrow. we didn’t get to depopulate the hogs as much as I had hoped we would this summer so the hog pipe just kinda kept them fed. Dumb me.

It’s rolling plains Texas (Wilbarger co) but we had some decent deer all season, only took one buck and one doe. The 3 big bucks are still a round and so are a couple of smaller bucks we’ve seen in late spring.

Here’s my question. Any of y’all put chicken wire around yalls feeders to keep the coons, hogs and squirrels from robbing the feeder blind? Seems to be a mixed bag from my searching online about knocking down the spread to more hassle than it’s worth to couldn’t live without it. I passed on the prebuilt spreader cage as most of what I read says the coons can easily reach through and still get the corn.

I bought some 2” chicken wire mesh in prep but figured I’d hit y’all up before I spend the time and effort tomorrow after the drive out.

Best feeder I have seen for varmints, etc are the Hang-Em-High tripod feeders (for the money).  Simply so tall they can't get up there easily.  We do have cages on many of the others and springs on the spinners to keep the cows out (all season feeders).

The tripod feeders are still my favorite and the cows cant' tip them over either from scratching or rubbing up against them.  

hang-em-high-with-border-910x910.jpg

38 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

We ended up buying the Spintech feeder motors with the drop down spring that shoves back up against the feeder spout. https://www.amazon.com/SpinTech-12VDEZSU-Volt-Digital-Spinner/dp/B003TJ9WEE/ref=pd_lpo_200_t_1/146-1838616-7453019?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003TJ9WEE&pd_rd_r=ce0efdb6-57d7-4cbb-99a2-b023c63ec96b&pd_rd_w=jO81i&pd_rd_wg=Ju9P4&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=X26ME6D3093B2NPEX51M&psc=1&refRID=X26ME6D3093B2NPEX51M

We had as much trouble with high wind blowing corn out of the feeders as we did with coons and squirrels, and this fixed the problem. You can also just buy the Spintech head and plate to put on your feeder motors for about $36.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 2

The chicken wire will work if you wrap it around the feeder. Just know that it will affect how far the corn will be thrown as a lot will hit the chicken wire and fall straight down. I've gone to the either the All Seasons stand and fill or the Ecolution spinners (like the spintech, but like them better when replacing a 12v spin plate).

Chicken wire Id think would be too flimsy unless there was a metal frame to wrap around and make it solid.
We use something similar to these. Alot of different brands make em. They work pretty good, but nothing is 100 percent unless you go buy some hidden spinner type feeders.05ed5152c30b87fd8dce7fc29d9be9b3.jpg

On 9/25/2020 at 4:27 PM, BabaYaga said:

Best feeder I have seen for varmints, etc are the Hang-Em-High tripod feeders (for the money).  Simply so tall they can't get up there easily.  We do have cages on many of the others and springs on the spinners to keep the cows out (all season feeders).

The tripod feeders are still my favorite and the cows cant' tip them over either from scratching or rubbing up against them.  

hang-em-high-with-border-910x910.jpg

One of these fell about 2' from one of our lease members kids last season.  They filled it, took it back to the top, and were around the winch discussing where to go next, and wire rope gave out.  They were all replaced with stand and fills this year.  Hell of a good feeder, at a really good price,  it just scared the bejesus out of everyone there.  FWIW, that guy never had issues with squirrels, coons, hogs, or cows previous to that. 

Chicken wire Id think would be too flimsy unless there was a metal frame to wrap around and make it solid.
We use something similar to these. Alot of different brands make em. They work pretty good, but nothing is 100 percent unless you go buy some hidden spinner type feeders.05ed5152c30b87fd8dce7fc29d9be9b3.jpg
All those cages do is give the coins something to hang onto while emptying your feeder.
On that particular set up, you would start up on the barrel and take it down to the legs to wrap around the whole thing and then a piece on the bottom to cover that access.

They started moving later than they have been, and the wind had them flying fast, but we still managed to knock down a decent number. And importantly, my son’s friend got his first kill, ever. Put a little blood on his face, showed him how to clean birds, it was cool.

And he was using the old 870 my dad bought in 1967, and that I hinted with for years. That thing is killed thousands of birds, including my first dove, quail, duck, and goose. So that’s kinda cool too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

All those cages do is give the coins something to hang onto while emptying your feeder.
On that particular set up, you would start up on the barrel and take it down to the legs to wrap around the whole thing and then a piece on the bottom to cover that access.

Yep, if the spinner isn't spring loaded, the cages aren't really effective.

6 minutes ago, tequila said:

First elk hunt.  Shot him after 5 days of hiking around Colorado.  Awesome experience.  Going to do a european mount and hang it over the outdoor fireplace.  Now to find another freezer...

122697347_Elk2020(2).jpg.e57b072ac46ee4612080becee4c4395d.jpg

Great job!!!! Elk hunting is awesome. I miss it.  Where in CO?  

33 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
1 hour ago, tequila said:
First elk hunt.  Shot him after 5 days of hiking around Colorado.  Awesome experience.  Going to do a european mount and hang it over the outdoor fireplace.  Now to find another freezer...

I don't think I have ever seen a euro mount on an elk.

I’ve got 2.  Take up less room. 

• Like 1

Man....that’s one of my dream hunts. Like “I’d spend a year getting in actual shape to do it” kinda thing.

Man....that’s one of my dream hunts. Like “I’d spend a year getting in actual shape to do it” kinda thing.

Actually bought a treadmill and have been busting my ass for the last year to go on the hunt. Still wasn’t in good enough shape. The guides wore me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tequila said:

Actually bought a treadmill and have been busting my ass for the last year to go on the hunt. Still wasn’t in good enough shape. The guides wore me out.

That's the biggest thing keeping me from a hunt like that.  0% chance I'd be able to make it.  And I'm only sorta outta shape.   Great bull, congrats. 

That's the biggest thing keeping me from a hunt like that.  0% chance I'd be able to make it.  And I'm only sorta outta shape.   Great bull, congrats. 

I’m still not in great shape, but probably hiked around 35 miles over 5 days. Don’t sell yourself short.

10 hours ago, tequila said:

I’m still not in great shape, but probably hiked around 35 miles over 5 days. Don’t sell yourself short.

Outstanding - was it a public land hunt or did you use a guide?  I've done both, guide was successful and public not, but still fun to do ALL the planning yourself.  One thing I can say, treadmill your ass off, but the altitude is what gets you.  

Outstanding - was it a public land hunt or did you use a guide?  I've done both, guide was successful and public not, but still fun to do ALL the planning yourself.  One thing I can say, treadmill your ass off, but the altitude is what gets you.  

It was a guided hunt on private land enrolled in the Ranching for Wildlife program.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, tequila said:

It was a guided hunt on private land enrolled in the Ranching for Wildlife program.

Awesome.  Did you get to bugle at all or did the guide?  I tried and it sounded like a cat getting turned into a violin....;)  I did learn it's a HELL of an alarm for pissy pre-teenagers that don't want to get up and go to school.  

*also, is that the new Kuiu Valo camo pattern?  Been eyeing it.  Seems ridiculously perfect for W.Texas 

Edited by BabaYaga

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Awesome.  Did you get to bugle at all or did the guide?  I tried and it sounded like a cat getting turned into a violin....;)  I did learn it's a HELL of an alarm for pissy pre-teenagers that don't want to get up and go to school.  

*also, is that the new Kuiu Valo camo pattern?  Been eyeing it.  Seems ridiculously perfect for W.Texas 

Hell no, I left that to the guide.  He called a few of them to within 15 yards.  

And yes on the KUIU camo.  I live in WTX, thought it'd be more useful than the other patterns.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Perfect morning for helicopter survey.  50 degrees and no wind at sunup.  

Great weather for the survey. Just curious, about what percentage of deer do you see doing the survey now as compared to later in the year?

i schedule my survey for December so there is not as much foliage but it leaves me starting the season guessing on harvest numbers.

2 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Great weather for the survey. Just curious, about what percentage of deer do you see doing the survey now as compared to later in the year?

i schedule my survey for December so there is not as much foliage but it leaves me starting the season guessing on harvest numbers.

Our deer numbers seen through the end of the 5 month MLDP season stay pretty steady and may actually increase by the end of January due to breeding season movement. 

Whether an early or late season survey it is always an educated guess to take 3 hours out of an entire year to survey for deer.  The bioligist says the helicopter survey is anywhere from 30 - 70% accurate but the idea is to see a trend develop from an established base line. We are low fenced with a river running through the property.  We never know what we are going to get showing up in the pasture from the river bottom (ie. never before seen WTD and then the odd wandering Sika, Fallow, bison and Axis which have all passed through for a cup of coffee).

On the 2600 acre pasture,  we counted 82 does (normal), 22 fawns (down), 21 mature bucks (normal), 20 middle bucks (normal) and 20 young bucks (normal).  5 "unknown" deer.  Leave out the "unknown" deer we are at a 1.3:1 doe to buck ratio and 1 deer to every 15.29 acres (inlcusive of the "unknown" deer) which is pretty good for our area and range conditons.

Range conditions were VERY dry.  Many deer did not run or move and the 1/2 to 1 mile of heavy and mature mesquite cover next to the river always makes counting in that are extremely difficult.  The bioligist allows for a 20-40% boost for that area. It is very thick and difficult to spot anything on the ground around the river.

Feral hogs were way down due to dry conditons and the neighbor to the north and east depredating with helicopters.  The dog count was low but they come and go. Quail was down, turkey down, javelina normal.  Saw several bobcats, too.

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

I’m in Eastern Zavala county close to the Frio county line south of the Leona River between Batesville and Dilley off of 117.

My granddad used to have a place right there.  Partially in Frio and partially in Zavala.  Ranch is called Todos Santos.  90 percent of the ranch is in Frio County.  Our south fence was shared with Mary Nan West, who I think had around 40,000 acres.

Edited by Johnny Sack

On 9/22/2020 at 3:12 PM, BabaYaga said:

I take neck shots for essentially the same reason.  

AFzPe-_zx6fYgKw9ygyEMQ4q9g1ag5xBq9qJg_s6

I used to.  Then I went to the behind the shoulder shot.  But at the time we had a large ranch, MLD, and I was killing a minimum of 50 deer a year.  The behind the shoulder shot always worked, but they would always run 50-150 yards.  Got tired of dragging them through the brush.  So for the last 15 or so years, I wait until they are squared up and then shoot them high through both shoulders.  They drop and cannot run with both shoulders blown out.  Barnes TSX with a .257 Weatherby Mag does the trick.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1