2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

Anyone actually seen lots of dead low fence axis? Reading conflicting reports, that lots of the dead axis people are posting pictures of are from breeding facilities. Going to try & make it to the lease this weekend & check on things. We are by Stonewall & have ( hope still...) a pretty good size axis herd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone actually seen lots of dead low fence axis? Reading conflicting reports, that lots of the dead axis people are posting pictures of are from breeding facilities. Going to try & make it to the lease this weekend & check on things. We are by Stonewall & have ( hope still...) a pretty good size axis herd.

I heard that Baker 3 lost a bunch.

18 hours ago, Horns99 said:

FYI, I (we) re-roofed the "Stonewall Inn" around 5 years ago; this was prior to the sale, don't recall what they renamed it.

Carry on.

On 2/21/2021 at 6:59 AM, Horns99 said:

A buddy of mine has 2500 acres in Kerrville and a big axis population.  He said no deaths that he has seen.

32 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

A buddy of mine has 2500 acres in Kerrville and a big axis population.  He said no deaths that he has seen.

Good news hopefully.  You'd have to get out and pound the ground to validate it of course.  Coyotes can be ruthlessly efficient and will disperse carcasses so they might not be readily apparent.  

50 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

He did lose 4 blackbucks and one WT doe.

Man, that stinks.  BB's are so cool.  Skittish little things.  We had a few "escapee's" from neighboring places.  Just showed up one day and were gone a few months later.  They get down, pin their heads back, and crawl under fences.  

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

Weather permitting, I will be in a chopper shooting pigs Saturday morning. Up in the air for an hour, and was told to bring 500 rounds for my AR.

Weather looks crappy, but it is Tuesday so we will see.

This may be the only time in history that the ammo burn costs more than the helicopter ride.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

The cold killed a bunch of Nilgai in South Texas as well. They’re pretty much a nuisance animal except for hunting income they generate. 

I think we’ve spoken to this but do y’all get any across your place?  We’ve only gotten one cow but we are just a bit too far west really. Some of my favorite memories are riding around all that sand at Norias looking for those beasts. 

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I think we’ve spoken to this but do y’all get any across your place?  We’ve only gotten one cow but we are just a bit too far west really. Some of my favorite memories are riding around all that sand at Norias looking for those beasts. 

Generally no.  I saw a cow well over ten years ago on our place to the south and then we had an orphaned calf hanging out with the cows on a different property.  I'm really surprised we don't encounter more because everybody else around us seems to have them.  Maybe we just don't see them.

I have nieces that hunt, so I don't shoot bucks.  I normally shoot one doe a year.  I shot this one 1/23.  100 yards. 110 lbs.

thumbnail-IMG-7445.jpg

The bullet didn't exit the skull.  It must have fragmented in the back of the eye socket and bounced around inside the skull.  It's head was like jello.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, retsevlys said:

I have nieces that hunt, so I don't shoot bucks.  I normally shoot one doe a year.  I shot this one 1/23.  100 yards. 110 lbs.

thumbnail-IMG-7445.jpg

The bullet didn't exit the skull.  It must have fragmented in the back of the eye socket and bounced around inside the skull.  It's head was like jello.

nice scope

Pulled cards.  Pretty wild pictures from this last weekend's snowmageddon.  

Look at that big turd.  Big ass ten.  He's skinny, but considering what he endured, I have fingers crossed we see him again this coming season.  To help him out, I think a 2,000lb protein feeder should fatten him and his ladies up quite well to go along with the corn and food plots.  

Crap ton of ducks as well.  All consolidated in that little patch of open water.  

Big buck.jpeg

Deer feeder snow.jpeg

ducks ice.jpeg

ducks ice2.jpeg

ducks ice3.jpeg

Protein feeder new.PNG

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Well in an interesting turn...

Went out this past weekend to restock my deer feeder and hog pipe after all that snow. My deer feeder was pulled up from the stake job I did and the caster was stolen. Additionally my hog pipe was opened up and the chain was cut...

Fun. To top it off, my game cameras didn’t catch anyone going through the front of the property so I’m headed back out this weekend to setup a couple more cameras on the back of the property (which is the other 300 acres owned by my wife’s family)...

I’ve been nice, having my MiL gently remind the family they’ve never been allowed to hunt on our side. While also telling them I don’t care if they’re shooting ducks and hogs over the fence and coming over to get them. Haven’t gotten on them but let them know that we knew they have been using our deer stands these last 2 years. Didn’t even complain to them when hogs started showing up dead 5 feet from our stands and my deer feeder(a dead hog is a dead hog). But at the end of the season we found a poached doe deep in our property skinned and the full cleaned carcass left. Along with now my shit getting fucked with, I’m pissed.

It’s not that the feeder was super expensive, it wasn’t. It’s just that, they get to use my time and money spent to keep the deer feed and coming back and now my shit is getting destroyed and stolen when they live 5 minutes away and tend their side of the land daily...

I’ve been trying to find every reason not to get the GW involved since it’s my MiLs family and basically everyone in Vernon is related to my Grandmother in law... her family basically settled Vernon... but damn it’s getting hard to find excuses not to call the GW.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

5 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Well in an interesting turn...

Went out this past weekend to restock my deer feeder and hog pipe after all that snow. My deer feeder was pulled up from the stake job I did and the caster was stolen. Additionally my hog pipe was opened up and the chain was cut...

Fun. To top it off, my game cameras didn’t catch anyone going through the front of the property so I’m headed back out this weekend to setup a couple more cameras on the back of the property (which is the other 300 acres owned by my wife’s family)...

I’ve been nice, having my MiL gently remind the family they’ve never been allowed to hunt on our side. While also telling them I don’t care if they’re shooting ducks and hogs over the fence and coming over to get them. Haven’t gotten on them but let them know that we knew they have been using our deer stands these last 2 years. Didn’t even complain to them when hogs started showing up dead 5 feet from our stands and my deer feeder(a dead hog is a dead hog). But at the end of the season we found a poached doe deep in our property skinned and the full cleaned carcass left. Along with now my shit getting fucked with, I’m pissed.

It’s not that the feeder was super expensive, it wasn’t. It’s just that, they get to use my time and money spent to keep the deer feed and coming back and now my shit is getting destroyed and stolen when they live 5 minutes away and tend their side of the land daily...

I’ve been trying to find every reason not to get the GW involved since it’s my MiLs family and basically everyone in Vernon is related to my Grandmother in law... her family basically settled Vernon... but damn it’s getting hard to find excuses not to call the GW.

I'd play stupid and let the GW do the heavy lifting.  Explain in advance to the MIL all the destruction and poaching incidents, log them, and tell her the GW is being brought in as you are concerned.  

Then you can have surprised Baby Yoda face when it's revealed it's family.

Surprised Baby Yoda template, cropped and brightened | /r/BabyYoda | Baby  Yoda / Grogu | Know Your Meme

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Well I picked up a Muddy trail cam that I thought was no glow IR but I was wrong. It’s a low glow and while the red glow is feint, I could see it enough to know it just snapped my pic while I was testing it outside.

Any recommendations on sub-$100 no glow IR trail cams?

Wanna go sub-$100 since I know I’m already dealing with thieves, so just in case I lose this one over the next few months.

11 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Well I picked up a Muddy trail cam that I thought was no glow IR but I was wrong. It’s a low glow and while the red glow is feint, I could see it enough to know it just snapped my pic while I was testing it outside.

Any recommendations on sub-$100 no glow IR trail cams?

Wanna go sub-$100 since I know I’m already dealing with thieves, so just in case I lose this one over the next few months.

Camofire has a ton listed this morning.  Check them out

Camofire

So went down to mexico for our last hunti g weekend. Ranch is ultra dry after the hard freeze. Deer look rundown. Putting out cortonseed and protein.
Our cowboy gave me a set of horns he found on our old place (moved ranches with same owner). They were mear a big lake. Turns out it was a deer I shot at 2 years ago. Looked like I hit but couldnt find any blood after several hours of looking. I saw him later that year but he always stayed away from where Id corn the senderos. Maybe the hit was in a bad spot and he slowly got worse and coyotes were able to get him or he died from infection. Taped out mid 50s but his left brow had a split when I shot him but was gone now.
1bfa8e50321055b62b0907b197f271f1.jpg
21e8540c185e37281bb96cbbffa4370f.jpg
9138637b98c119515d70eb87cac219f2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1