2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

6 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Anyone heard of aoudad die-offs in the freeze?  I may have asked before, but don't recall.

Friend of mine hunts a little over 100k acres out west, can’t recall the name of ranch but I’m sure some of y’all would know it. They were up there in March fucking around for a few days and there were ALOT, supposedly.    But that’s not to say many didn’t perish, just that there was a shitload left.  

Well, looks like CHIEF Jr. and I are back on a lease. Far eastern Kent County, between Guthrie and Benjamin. Tailgate buddy had a spot open up on a 6600 acre pasture on the Spike Box Ranch. It's deep canyons and mesquite flats. WT, Muleys, Auodad, ducks, dove, and Sandhills. Even an occasional elk comes through. So it's back to sitting on ridges and glassing. There's probably 2000 acres in the SE corner that no-one hunts, they mainly hunt the river. I have a location picked out there, as well. I hate watching the same area all season, and like to move around, there are three areas to do just that. The tine length out there is absolutely crazy, it's 43 miles north of our last lease that I had with Dad, which had incredible tine length as well.. Camp is 11 miles off the highway. Can't wait to look at the stars on a moonless night again, and hear coyotes at all hours of the day.
part0-5.jpg
part0-6.jpg
part0-7.jpg
part0.jpg
part0-2.jpg
part0-3.jpg
part0-4.jpg
CHIEF
We should hang out more. Like in the Fall.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2021 at 9:34 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

I knew we were close to you.  This was actually off Loop 165 near Longhorn River Ranch. 

OK, so probably 2 miles due W of me.  Like, not bullshitting - if I got the opportunity to ride straight W of me, that would put me on to LRR.

BTW, Jimmie Vaughan lives on Loop 165.  I've been down it a few times (work mostly, maybe 5 recreational times) to see if I can spot him, maybe walking to his car, checking the mail, whatever.  Never any luck... but I do like that short drive.  Some fine looking locations there.  & If I won the lottery bigly, I'd like to buy LRR.

10 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Well, looks like CHIEF Jr. and I are back on a lease. Far eastern Kent County, between Guthrie and Benjamin. Tailgate buddy had a spot open up on a 6600 acre pasture on the Spike Box Ranch. It's deep canyons and mesquite flats. WT, Muleys, Auodad, ducks, dove, and Sandhills. Even an occasional elk comes through

I absolutely love that area, and if the kids and wife didn’t enjoy the lease as much as they do, I’d be out that way.  But 8 hours is a long haul when not by myself.  Awesome awesome find. 

Can't wait to look at the stars on a moonless night again, and hear coyotes at all hours of the day.
CHIEF

God’s country. Never seen so many stars as I have when my grandparents were still alive and we spent damn near every weekend and most summers in O’Brien. Crazy to be able to look out across a field at midnight and count cattle/coyotes/pigs.

Great Uncle lived on the Brazos west of Knox City and was the Ted Nugent type. He had just about every critter imaginable stuffed and mounted somewhere in his house and every single one had been shot from his back porch. Big cat, little cat, monster turkey, you name it. That land is hard livin so the animals that do make it are pretty damn impressive.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

OK, so probably 2 miles due W of me.  Like, not bullshitting - if I got the opportunity to ride straight W of me, that would put me on to LRR.

BTW, Jimmie Vaughan lives on Loop 165.  I've been down it a few times (work mostly, maybe 5 recreational times) to see if I can spot him, maybe walking to his car, checking the mail, whatever.  Never any luck... but I do like that short drive.  Some fine looking locations there.  & If I won the lottery bigly, I'd like to buy LRR.

We need to meet up for a beer one day.  I'm on Creek Rd near Camp Lucy.  That Loop 165 is a cool little stretch.  I was looking at 5 acres that is on the market there.  The east side that fronts the creek is gorgeous with beautiful homes.  The west side of the road was hit and miss.  

Well, looks like CHIEF Jr. and I are back on a lease. Far eastern Kent County, between Guthrie and Benjamin. Tailgate buddy had a spot open up on a 6600 acre pasture on the Spike Box Ranch. It's deep canyons and mesquite flats. WT, Muleys, Auodad, ducks, dove, and Sandhills. Even an occasional elk comes through. So it's back to sitting on ridges and glassing. There's probably 2000 acres in the SE corner that no-one hunts, they mainly hunt the river. I have a location picked out there, as well. I hate watching the same area all season, and like to move around, there are three areas to do just that. The tine length out there is absolutely crazy, it's 43 miles north of our last lease that I had with Dad, which had incredible tine length as well.. Camp is 11 miles off the highway. Can't wait to look at the stars on a moonless night again, and hear coyotes at all hours of the day.
part0-5.jpg
part0-6.jpg
part0-7.jpg
part0.jpg
part0-2.jpg
part0-3.jpg
part0-4.jpg
CHIEF

Hunted there a few years back. Stayed at a house in Benjamin that a Senator from WF used.
Great hunting area.

22 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That view as you crest the hill on 165 going towards blanco is what Texas Hill Country is all about. 

It's practically what made me move here from Fort Lauderdale (well, my 1st wife was really the impetus but having access to "wide open spaces" vs. [Everglades & mosquitoes to the L of me, open water & can't afford a boat / get seasick easily to the R of me, too many New Yorkers to the S of me].

14 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

We need to meet up for a beer one day.  I'm on Creek Rd near Camp Lucy.  That Loop 165 is a cool little stretch.  I was looking at 5 acres that is on the market there.  The east side that fronts the creek is gorgeous with beautiful homes.  The west side of the road was hit and miss.  

Send me a PM with your digits; I do recall you mentioning in a PM that you were across the way - might have been a hail discussion, maybe when our Cub Scouts for this part of the Sacred Springs District had "Twilight Day Camp" @ Lucy.

Here is where I'm at on the light pollution map:

SpikeBox.png

I'm more excited about taking CHIEF Jr.'s telescope out there than the hunting. On a moonless, clear night, you can see whole galaxies with the naked eye. It is truly the most incredible thing I have ever experienced. There are as many heavenly bodies as space between them. Our old lease was in the southern section of that dark spot and was incredible, but we were still within 60 miles of Abilene. This place will be "Big Bend" dark.

CHIEF 

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 4/29/2021 at 8:29 AM, CHIEF said:

Here is where I'm at on the light pollution map:

SpikeBox.png

I'm more excited about taking CHIEF Jr.'s telescope out there than the hunting. On a moonless, clear night, you can see whole galaxies with the naked eye. It is truly the most incredible thing I have ever experienced. There are as many heavenly bodies as space between them. Our old lease was in the southern section of that dark spot and was incredible, but we were still within 60 miles of Abilene. This place will be "Big Bend" dark.

CHIEF 

Love it.  There's us in the gray as well.  Between Coleman and Ballinger; next to Talpa.  100% chance of seeing shooting stars if you stay at it long enough.  Yote's singing in the background.

When there's no cloud cover, I've seen low level communication satellites tracking across the sky.  It's wild.  Like the tiniest star moving in a straight line from right to left.  

Light pollution map.PNG

• Hook 'Em 1

Gentlemen, got a question on land valuation.  Friend of friend just inherited 2k acres in Wharton, not on the river but near. Has 5 bedroom modern house. Assume 50/50 wooded (trying to verify).   Lots of ducks, lots of hogs, several tanks with bass to 10# confirmed caught.   He has several other properties and wants to lease this out. Preferably would be a corp type deal.  Any idea on estimate on acreage in that area?   

eta: hasn’t been hunted in 20+ years from my understanding.  

Edited by fattyflattie

Gentlemen, got a question on land valuation.  Friend of friend just inherited 2k acres in Wharton, not on the river but near. Has 5 bedroom modern house. Assume 50/50 wooded (trying to verify).   Lots of ducks, lots of hogs, several tanks with bass to 10# confirmed caught.   He has several other properties and wants to lease this out. Preferably would be a corp type deal.  Any idea on estimate on acreage in that area?   

eta: hasn’t been hunted in 20+ years from my understanding.  

I doubt he could lease it for more than $1 an acre, but seeing as he’s recently had a death in the family, I’d be willing to pay $2. That’s just the kind of nice guy I am.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I doubt he could lease it for more than $1 an acre, but seeing as he’s recently had a death in the family, I’d be willing to pay $2. That’s just the kind of nice guy I am.

Haha.  Apparently he’s got several hundred/1k more in a much nicer area than Wharton.  My understanding is he just went into a very early retirement, but doesn’t necessarily want to fuck with a few thousand acres in Wharton.  Apparently been in the family since the land grants, so likely not wanting to sell it either.   I’m just curious.  Personally, it’s 40 mins from my house and that’s a huge negative, but big positive for others.  The deer aren’t great down there but pigs, ducks, fishing, dove, geese, and crane all are.  

Haha.  Apparently he’s got several hundred/1k more in a much nicer area than Wharton.  My understanding is he just went into a very early retirement, but doesn’t necessarily want to fuck with a few thousand acres in Wharton.  Apparently been in the family since the land grants, so likely not wanting to sell it either.   I’m just curious.  Personally, it’s 40 mins from my house and that’s a huge negative, but big positive for others.  The deer aren’t great down there but pigs, ducks, fishing, dove, geese, and crane all are.  

Yep. My best man long had a family tract near Egypt, TX. The piece on the north side of 102 had great goose and duck hunting. The bottomland on the other side had great duck, rabbit, and deer. Pretty sad day when the family sold it all. I must have hunted down there 200 times over the years. I really like that country.
  • Rage+1 1

Well, the cloud cover didn't cooperate this weekend for stargazing. But this place is amazing. The roads are so steep that when you pull up to a hill, you have to look out and up from the side of the Ranger to see the top, probably 50-55 degree inclines, we came down one with the rear tires off the ground. If you break down it is about a four hour walk back to camp, so your vehicles better be in good shape. The South Wichita river runs all through it and is crystal clear, not anything like I thought it would be. We saw that big Aoudad in the feeder picture on the side of a cliff at about 350 yards, he will probably go B&C. We had a yearling Aoudad kid (still probably 200 lbs.) jump off the cut embankment right after a river crossing (a ten foot drop) take too running steps and clear the ten foot embankment on the other side of the road. Most amazing thing I've ever seen.  

CHIEF

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MoJames said:

Buddy and I did an over night backpack Turkey hunt. No turkeys located but some great hiking.
59748148672d356d8604a3c5a0214a65.jpg

Shitballs that pic is awesome AF.  That's 100% what it's about, man - turkey or not.  How many miles in / total elevation gain?

55 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Shitballs that pic is awesome AF.  That's 100% what it's about, man - turkey or not.  How many miles in / total elevation gain?

Oh it was fairly brief, 3 miles and 1k. Based on the fact we didn't find any jakes or toms we needed to be a bit deeper in that area for the time of year.

• Like 1

2.75” of rain in four hours today with more on the way.   Got some work done and relaxing by the river before nightfall.  Got the whole joint to myself this weekend.  Not too bad enjoying a wonderful slice of this state.  

CFE642DC-5732-4276-837A-DC145EFD948F.jpeg

2E92BA4E-F8E9-487E-9821-8F285A2DA240.jpeg

BBEDB502-8131-43B7-95C4-440090042A15.jpeg

6DCF77C1-BAB7-4240-992B-B5B29EA6459E.jpeg

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Dumb question amnesty!

So I have 300 acres of huntable land in deer season... but 210 of it is 2 crop plots on either side of 90 acres of fenced in mesquite and brush with 3 stock ponds that has cattle that get moved through 2 times a month.

I kinda want to put a pop up blind on an outer edge of a crop side to catch the deer that occasionally bypass our land. But I don’t want to just all the sudden on opening season have a strange “box” on flat land out there... so my thought and question to y’all who are much more versed in the sport of hunt: would it be wise to build a little cheap wood box with burlap camo netting out there on an edge where the machinery isn’t affecting it?

My thought being the square structure will get them used to an object being there come hunting season...

Now y’all feel free to gently call me a dope...

19 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Dumb question amnesty!

So I have 300 acres of huntable land in deer season... but 210 of it is 2 crop plots on either side of 90 acres of fenced in mesquite and brush with 3 stock ponds that has cattle that get moved through 2 times a month.

I kinda want to put a pop up blind on an outer edge of a crop side to catch the deer that occasionally bypass our land. But I don’t want to just all the sudden on opening season have a strange “box” on flat land out there... so my thought and question to y’all who are much more versed in the sport of hunt: would it be wise to build a little cheap wood box with burlap camo netting out there on an edge where the machinery isn’t affecting it?

My thought being the square structure will get them used to an object being there come hunting season...

Now y’all feel free to gently call me a dope...

Try a round bale. Throw some netting over it, or not. 

They won't give a shit after a week or two.  I always try to remember that they aren't thinking...Oh, there's a deer blind.  All they are thinking is that something looks out of place.  Let them see it a few times and it just becomes another part of the landscape.

Put whatever kind of setup you want out there a few weeks before you want to hunt.  Brush it in a bit to soften the edges if it is really conspicuous, and go have fun hunting.  The new smell of burlap, synthetic covering, fresh cut 2x4s etc will be more alarming to them than the object.  A week or two to visually blend in as normal, and not peak the olfactory senses is all you need.

I've used a pop-up blind right out of the box, brushed it in good with aromatic cedar boughs, and hunted it successfully the same day.  The most important thing is to eliminate your silhouette.  If they can't see through it and notice your head moving, they are more than likely not going to give a tinker's dam that its even there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

They won't give a shit after a week or two.  I always try to remember that they aren't thinking...Oh, there's a deer blind.  All they are thinking is that something looks out of place.  Let them see it a few times and it just becomes another part of the landscape.

Put whatever kind of setup you want out there a few weeks before you want to hunt.  Brush it in a bit to soften the edges if it is really conspicuous, and go have fun hunting.  The new smell of burlap, synthetic covering, fresh cut 2x4s etc will be more alarming to them than the object.  A week or two to visually blend in as normal, and not peak the olfactory senses is all you need.

I've used a pop-up blind right out of the box, brushed it in good with aromatic cedar boughs, and hunted it successfully the same day.  The most important thing is to eliminate your silhouette.  If they can't see through it and notice your head moving, they are more than likely not going to give a tinker's dam that its even there. 

The silhouette part is key.  Use some cammo netting behind you.