2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

7 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

He will be 9 by that time.  tall and lanky.  

How lanky?  I have a single shot 20 that I still hate shooting.  Fucking mules wish they could kick as hard as that dude.  

I recently started my oldest girl (8) who’s tall, lanky, muscle with a pump 410 with 1 shell at a time.  As we progress she can get another.  But that’s because I had a 410 pump around.  

How lanky?  I have a single shot 20 that I still hate shooting.  Fucking mules wish they could kick as hard as that dude.  

I recently started my oldest girl (8) who’s tall, lanky, muscle with a pump 410 with 1 shell at a time.  As we progress she can get another.  But that’s because I had a 410 pump around.  

Not too lanky. He’s just tall and skinny.

Cabelas has a Stoeger O/U in 20 for the utes at $399.

Might take him up there to shoulder it.

2 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Best thing I ever did was start my kids off with a youth 20 gauge auto, with only one shell at a time. Takes the kick out of it.

That’s where we are headed. Daddy’s going to get him a 28, but it’ll be a bit too nice for a 9 yo to learn on.   She’s liking the 410 for now tho. 

Another vote here for a 20 with a single shell in it. Dad started me off with a Savage single shot bolt action .410. Great rabbit killing gun...made for expensive dove breasts though.

Gramps got me a Mossberg 20 gauge with an adjustable choke at age 12 or so, and I still use that gun today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the minimum B&C score to get a porcupine in the record books?

How do I score it?  I'm assuming measure every quill and sum the lengths?

I've got one spending every night under a protein feeder eating the scraps that fall.  He sleeps there when deer aren't present and wakes to eat as they do.

Pretty sure I'll have a 'Booner by October, and should be able to justify a new rife, suppressor, and high end thermal scope purchase to seal the deal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I've got one spending every night under a protein feeder eating the scraps that fall.  He sleeps there when deer aren't present and wakes to eat as they do.

Pretty sure I'll have a 'Booner by October, and should be able to justify a new rife, suppressor, and high end thermal scope purchase to seal the deal.

We had one at our lease in Aspermont. That fucker was huge. like four feet long huge. My uncle walked up on him one morning in the dark by accident, he was curled up next to a cedar tree. Uncle thought he had walked up on a thousand rattlesnakes when he started shaking his quills.

CHIEF

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Every rancher I've ever known has them near the top of their "shoot on sight" list.  Some young/dumb cow with a face full of quills is not a fun-filled afternoon (assuming you catch it before it goes septic and they die).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/25/2021 at 12:09 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Little T'Boo wants to bird hunt in the fall with me.  He was my bird fetcher last year due to the loss of my GSP and wants to start taking part in shooting aside from busting empty Bud Heavy cans with his BB gun.  

I did not grow up hunting so please forgive my ignorance.  Would a 20 gauge be too much to start or would a .410 be optimal?  

He will be 9 by that time.  tall and lanky.  

Thanks 

Youth Rem 870 in 20 is where my boy started around 10. I think the pain and the pump makes for a better shooter than an autoloader.

Outgrowed it quick.

It's now got a red light hair-banded to the barrel and fills the role of yard sweeper in nighttime counter-armadillo ops.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Every rancher I've ever known has them near the top of their "shoot on sight" list.  Some young/dumb cow with a face full of quills is not a fun-filled afternoon (assuming you catch it before it goes septic and they die).

Ditto.  Very odd animals that have no business being around livestock.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

yard sweeper in nighttime counter-armadillo ops.

Those little turds can swim.  At the ranch and was filling in 'dillo holes near the bank of the creek.  Worried cattle would step in and get hurt or stuck.  One popped up right next to me so I punted his little ass.  Landed in the water and he took off swimming.  Pretty fast.  Hit the other bank, gave me the "fuck you" stare, and waddled off into the brush.  

• 2 weeks later...

I hear you on the camo. But as a bow hunter, it does matter because you are getting (sometimes) within 10 or 15 feet from the deer. Obviously, elevating up 12 to 15 feet helps.

I use an ASAT leafy suit that really works well. I have sat in the open near a trail with that suit on, and had deer pass within 10 yards of me without noticing.

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, CHIEF said:

My buddy, at the lease, has been losing about 40% of his protein out of his feeder to coons. He sent me this link: https://www.coonhood.com . We are about to put out a 1500 lb. protein feeder, so I ordered these to keep the coons out. They are expensive, but will pay for themselves within 6 months.

CHIEF

7FDb.gif

26 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-V0jxjLaX4xj9VcGghwD

We watched about 7 of them while sitting in his blind one night, through the thermal. Big bastards looked like year old bear cubs. He was there last weekend and he estimated there was 300 lbs. souring on the ground under the feeder. Our feeder is going to be on that bluff on the river (posted picture), so we will have more coons for sure.

CHIEF

Just now, CHIEF said:

We watched about 7 of them while sitting in his blind one night, through the thermal. Big bastards looked like year old bear cubs. He was there last weekend and he estimated there was 300 lbs. souring on the ground under the feeder. Our feeder is going to be on that bluff on the river (posted picture), so we will have more coons for sure.

CHIEF

Tell me about it....

Raccoons.JPG

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2021 at 3:13 PM, CHIEF said:

My buddy, at the lease, has been losing about 40% of his protein out of his feeder to coons. He sent me this link: https://www.coonhood.com . We are about to put out a 1500 lb. protein feeder, so I ordered these to keep the coons out. They are expensive, but will pay for themselves within 6 months.

CHIEF

Alternatively, we can start getting full body mounts of raccoons to adorn our not so humble abodes. Generate enough buzz from trying to kill the biggest and baddest raccoon and the bubbas out there are bound to follow suite.

Well, my hunting buddy and I were drawn for rifle elk tags this fall in a unit close to Pagosa Springs. We’ve hunted this area before and it kicked my butt. (7500-9000 ft.) I’m not in great shape, so I’m going to be working on that. Gear wise, I need new mountain boots (thinking Schee’s, Kenetrek, Meindl, etc.); new pack (maybe Kifaru or Erbelstock, etc.); and some new technical clothes (Sitka or first lite).

Also considering changing up my my rifle setup. This hunting area would be average shots of 100-300yards with long shot opportunities up to 700 yards. I have a range setup at my folks ranch of 650 yards, so I’d like to get proficient to that range. I’m thinking of staying with 300 Weatherby, with heavy bullets (preferably Nosler Long Range Accubonds if available sometime soon, maybe ELD-X or Barnes LRX if not). I’m thinking about a Weatherby Mark V Accumark for the rifle (not super light, but better accuracy and shootability (lower recoil) than super lightweight rifles). Also thinking about changing from my Swarovski Z6i to a Sig Sierra 6 scope to sync with my Sig Binos for easier ballistic calcs. Lots of decisions to make. Pretty sexy rifle though. I was able to put my hands on one at McBrides and I really like it over the competitors (Christiansen, Fierce, Browning, Nosler).

103942ec6d8b9c71191a59ec9919cb3e.png

1 hour ago, 686 said:

Well, my hunting buddy and I were drawn for rifle elk tags this fall in a unit close to Pagosa Springs. We’ve hunted this area before and it kicked my butt. (7500-9000 ft.) I’m not in great shape, so I’m going to be working on that. Gear wise, I need new mountain boots (thinking Schee’s, Kenetrek, Meindl, etc.); new pack (maybe Kifaru or Erbelstock, etc.); and some new technical clothes (Sitka or first lite).

Also considering changing up my my rifle setup. This hunting area would be average shots of 100-300yards with long shot opportunities up to 700 yards. I have a range setup at my folks ranch of 650 yards, so I’d like to get proficient to that range. I’m thinking of staying with 300 Weatherby, with heavy bullets (preferably Nosler Long Range Accubonds if available sometime soon, maybe ELD-X or Barnes LRX if not). I’m thinking about a Weatherby Mark V Accumark for the rifle (not super light, but better accuracy and shootability (lower recoil) than super lightweight rifles). Also thinking about changing from my Swarovski Z6i to a Sig Sierra 6 scope to sync with my Sig Binos for easier ballistic calcs. Lots of decisions to make. Pretty sexy rifle though. I was able to put my hands on one at McBrides and I really like it over the competitors (Christiansen, Fierce, Browning, Nosler).

I think you absolutely should, and then PM me about that old tomato stick 300wby you’ve been posting on here last few years. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 686 said:

Assuming you're talking about camo technical clothes, keep your money in your pocket.  Unless you are the guide, you're going to be wearing a blaze orange top and a blaze orange hat.  I flat quit taking my camo gear to CO after my first trip there as it was pointless.

Just a thought.  Your mileage may vary.

See what I mean?
D3149D87-8EEA-4F29-852B-D92DDABD3D6E.thumb.jpeg.1a0bd26a95904968c59722421230640a.jpeg

Nice work! The clothes I’m interested in are more for layering/weather/temperature swing issues. I’m really interested in nylon/blend pants with side zippers so I can ventilate while I’m hiking and then zip up while glassing. Also maybe the zip off wool base layer from first lite.

Last year we had an unforeseen 12” snow on day 2 of our hunt with an accompanying temperature drop that made things a little tough. We shouldn’t have that this time in first season, but I want to be prepared.

a3ed9ea450a9cb2007852756a4160291.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 8:23 PM, 686 said:

Biggest factor in the mountains is weight.  The thing you'll use more than anything else are your binos.  Don't skimp there.  You level of physical fitness needs to be high.  Elevation is an arse kicker.  Taking an animal is the easy part.  Packing it out is a gut check.

The new technical hunting lines drew upon the expertise of the previous mountain gear from lines such as REI, Marmot, etc.  I've done it a few times, so my two biggest suggestions are a solid base layer and staying dry.  Sitka, Kuiu, FirstLite, are all great brands, but very little needs to have an actual pattern on it.  You can get a lot from REI/sports gear places as well

• baselayers (I prefer merino)
  • socks (wool)
  • boots
  • gloves
  • wool hat
  • gaiters
  • sleeping bag
  • tent
  • food
  • GPS options
  • compass
  • rain gear
  • etc.  You get the picture.  Black Ovis is a great site to get quality gear at a great price.  ELK101 is another.  

Good luck!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 686 said:

Nice work! The clothes I’m interested in are more for layering/weather/temperature swing issues. I’m really interested in nylon/blend pants with side zippers so I can ventilate while I’m hiking and then zip up while glassing. Also maybe the zip off wool base layer from first lite.

Check out the new pants from FirstLite.  They have zip off base layers and sweet side-vent pants (Foundry Line)

FirstLite Foundry Pants

My personal favorite all around pants are the Marmot Scree pants.  They are essentially the old SItka 90% pants.  Soft-shell with a small fleece interior with multiple vents.  I have two pairs in olive drab and gray.  They are cheap and tough (<$100/pair)

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Damn. Those old sitka 90 percent pants were the best ever.
Were them all day under 50 degrees.

Check out the Scree pants from Marmot.  Basically the same pant.  Wore them in Europe a while back in the rain and cold and they were nails.  

Marmot pants.jpg

On 6/25/2021 at 8:39 PM, Reagan1k said:

I’ve got one who’s smart enough that he’s learned to climb down into a cottonseed pen, and sleep there on the soft seed, protected by the chicken wire.  Climbs out to eat and back in to sleep- over and over every nights.  

We used to have an old typical mainframe 14 (7 x 7), which is pretty damn rare, that every afternoon would come lay down under a tree in the shade next to the feeder about 15 minutes before it went off.  He wasn't even a trophy because I think his longest tine was 6 inches (he was wide and had long beams).  Most of our deer you never know if you'll see them.  But this guy was tame.  You could set your watch by him.  We never shot him.

• Hook 'Em 2

For Father’s Day awhile back, my wife took some of the venison I had canned in 2019 and made some phenomenal Venado guisada. I mean, my kids were hammering this, it was great. I also sous vide cooked some Crane breast, finished on the grill, thin sliced like fajitas; it was ok; but the venison was great.

32a1d26a048091767ea5a6033a86fe6a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

And tell us how you canned the meat please? 

Well, I went back and checked, and I actually canned this is 2017, so unrefrigerated for 3.5 years and was still great. I bought a canning set at Walmart with the pressure cooker and wide mouth jars, and canned mostly backstrap it looks like from the photos (I think I had culled some extra does that year, so had some extra meat). Looks like I trimmed really well and used a meat tenderizer before I cubed it and placed in the jars. I think I added one teaspoon of beef broth to a jar for some seasoning.

3f49d88ae8484a58266c690b5dd034da.jpg

Followed the canning set directions:

18b5b7dc95fafbc77dc56a9ef79aa2ee.jpg

This is the end product, doesn’t look great, but tastes great and very tender. I’m going to do more this year.

e88151eb6d1cb5fce077b27027d5654a.jpg

After a season or two of fewer pigs due to drought conditions, the rains have put water back in the river and brought forth a lot of green growth.  Now they are back in full force.   
6D4705FC-D284-47AE-8D96-DFEA57B88FAB.thumb.jpeg.b848a19ad48e6883f5c4b052a1dd5442.jpeg
3690B9E5-AE78-4B98-8FCA-CB77C2A6ACB3.thumb.jpeg.51ee6140d00382de3868f2d36192701f.jpeg

I love some ~30lb pigs; fits great on a grill.

0fcfe3c50406a1ff70edc53ad04517b5.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I got lucky and drew a Wyoming Mule Deer tag for this fall. Now I just gotta get my fat ass in shape and spend some time at the range. I've got private access to about 1k acres that backs up to the Shoshone National forest. This will be my 2nd time to go as I drew a tag 4 years ago. It's a lot of work but it's a lot funner than sitting in a stand. It snowed some on my last hunt and that was a lot of fun to hunt in. I definitely wont be at the top of the food chain as there are several bears in the area and a large mountain lion. I'll post some pics later of them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I got lucky and drew a Wyoming Mule Deer tag for this fall. Now I just gotta get my fat ass in shape and spend some time at the range. I've got private access to about 1k acres that backs up to the Shoshone National forest. This will be my 2nd time to go as I drew a tag 4 years ago. It's a lot of work but it's a lot funner than sitting in a stand. It snowed some on my last hunt and that was a lot of fun to hunt in. I definitely wont be at the top of the food chain as there are several bears in the area and a large mountain lion. I'll post some pics later of them.
Good luck. If you are serious about losing weight and getting into shape before this fall, let me know so I can connect you with my health coach.

Good luck. If you are serious about losing weight and getting into shape before this fall, let me know so I can connect you with my health coach.
I've been running laps and bleachers every night after work and lifting weights and doing crunches. About as much as my 55 year old knees will let me do while working 55-60 hour weeks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1