2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

Couple of the landowners I’m working for right now get paid to do that in VA/WVA.  They didn’t mention anything about suppressed but said at some point it becomes so boring you start taking crazy shots. Also said they’ve seen bucks bigger than they’ll ever kill, but can only shoot antlerless. Sounded like a crappy job tbh 

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Trapping with remote control traps works well.

Heli hunting works well (outside of places like East Texas where too much of a tree canopy).

Night vision/thermal hunting works well.

Nothing else makes much of a dent.

Agree on all points.  Those are all effective in a limited area, and if done continuously.  There are just so many areas where it isn't feasible, economical, or there is simply too much ground to cover that while it might help specific ranches, farms, or even communities; its winning a battle while losing the war.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Agree on all points.  Those are all effective in a limited area, and if done continuously.  There are just so many areas where it isn't feasible, economical, or there is simply too much ground to cover that while it might help specific ranches, farms, or even communities; its winning a battle while losing the war.

That’s right.  Until there is an effective poison there isn’t a statewide solution. 

But you’re right you can handle it locally.  My granddad had 10,000 acres in Frio and Zavala counties.  We trapped religiously and heli hunted them a couple times a year.  I hunted probably 30 days a year on average since we were MLD.  I think over 20 years I saw hogs at blinds maybe ten times.  

We sold the place when my granddad died.  I went back there 6 years after we sold as the people leasing it for hunting who I knew asked us to help guide.  I saw hogs every hunt and they had absolutely destroyed our beautiful fields of coastal grass.  

The $10 grand a year we spend on heli hunts was money well spent.  

• Hook 'Em 4

15 hours ago, Izhmash said:

Had some fun this past weekend. Made it out to the lease to get some prep work in before season starts in a couple weeks. Anyhow...found this big bastard dilly dallying on a highline on Saturday morning. When first spotted, he was about 650 yds away (across a pretty deep drainage) and all I had on me was my little AR. He looked like a damned cow...extremely long legs and just covered in mud. I remember first thinking "you big bastard", then, "shit, I gotta go get him"!  I loaded heavy and took off on foot.

I followed the treeline on the highline (to obscure some quick movement) and the big bastard didn't give much time...he quickly moved into the woods and disappeared to the north. I got to within 100yds of his last known location and went into stalk mode. As I approached, you could smell his stench but he was nowhere to be seen. I started wondering if he was bedded nearby, just listening for me. I was cautious and entered the treeline. I followed the ridge which I knew loops around towards a feeder which is about another 300yds off the highline. After about 20 minutes of relatively slow movements "stop, listen, proceed", I got to within about 100 yds of the feeder....on a downwind approach. I finally got the clue I was looking for when about 10 deer started running directly at me. I just laughed, and waved them off...they scattered to the side and exposed the big bastard fartin' around at the feeder.

The stalk is in full motion now. My goal was to close another 50 yds or so up to a group of trees, and take a rest on one of them and put some lead into him (actually copper, I use handloaded TSX bullets). I keep a few trees between the two of us, stop n go for about 5 minutes. Then he turns, and just starts heading my way. I slowly "melt" into the ground hoping he doesn't spot me...I'm still a good 20 yds from the group of trees and I'm in the middle of a fucking right of way. Now my heart won't stop pumping...he's closing distance quick. I sit motionless, frozen. He rounds some trees and is now 15 yds from me. I let fly...(pck-cheeewww), and yell out "fuck you big bastard!", followed by (pck-cheeewww, pck-chewwww, pck-cheewwww). He made it about 5 steps and I even put a finisher in him after he hit the dirt...my nerves had gotten the best of me.

Anyhow...I had a blast. Reminded me how much I love the stalk. I love how the world slows down around me, and my senses create a hyper-awareness of critical measures, checking boxes while not letting the noise break through. Concentrated focus with zero yield.

IMG_3883.jpg

Aaand....I'm spent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Backscratching pole?

Totem carving. 

Actually using the post as part of the frame for a deck on the back of the other trailer in camp.   We built one on the front of their trailer 8 years ago but they never got one on the back (shady) side.   

Cedar post don’t warp or curl like pressure treated yellow pine does and make much better posts for setting into the ground.  

7 hours ago, Stinkpalm said:

Nothing impressive, but wife got her first bow kill this morning in Fredericksburg. 25 yard shot, double lunged and ran only about 60 yards. She’s officially hooked on bow hunting. Had three more slightly bigger than this guy show up this evening that she decided to pass on in favor of a big mature doe, but one of the bucks pushed her out right as she drew back on it. One of those guys may regret that tomorrow morning.

2764F677-0AC0-4B18-BD1F-87F38C8FF938.jpeg

“Nothing impressive” you say?

Hardly.   That’s awesome!  Good for her!

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know how many bowhunters we have here but this season I'm making the switch to mechanicals. Picked up some Wasp Jakhammers as they seemed to be a good no-frills expandable. I've always shot fixed blades and have had good results but just curious what y'all's experience is with mechs.

2032091718_IMG_20201015_144024_012.thumb.jpg.0ea8c4027bda8e9687c6da53995811f8.jpg
I have used Rages and they leave great blood trails... If you make a good shot.

On the flip side, I lost a monster buck because of the mechanical nature of the Rage. Shot a tad high, hit shoulder bone, no penetration, arrow came back out after a few yards. Tracked buck for 300 yds, called out tracking dog, everything. Never found it. Likely survived. Tracker said 90% of lost bucks were due to high lung shot with mechanical broadheads.

In contrast, last year I shot a big buck with fixed blade, missed a little high, but the arrow penetrated and severed the spine. Buck dropped right there and died.

So, in conclusion, if you make a good shot, mechanical broadheads are awesome. But if you miss, you have small margin for error vs fixed that can blow through bone much easier.

I need better deer. I can't keep up with any of these. We will see in the next month if my doe overload will attract some big boys. If not, we will just clean up the averages and maybe have a better year next year. I have nothing I want to shoot on camera so far. Maybe one but it is not great so far.

6 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I need better deer. I can't keep up with any of these. We will see in the next month if my doe overload will attract some big boys. If not, we will just clean up the averages and maybe have a better year next year. I have nothing I want to shoot on camera so far. Maybe one but it is not great so far.

Where do you hunt?  You have too many doe?  If so, that is a problem.  What is you doe to buck ratio?  

Are you an MLDP participant?  Are the places around you on MLDP programs?  Are the places around you and your place large enough to sustain an MLDP set up? Are you on a smallish place surrounded by other smallish places and mired in a small regional free for all?

3 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Time is the biggest factor (followed by food).  If you can get your hunters and / or neighbors to let bucks age, nature takes care of itself.  There are precious few places where when given 5-6 years to grow, bucks won't put on substantial bone.  It becomes a numbers game.  For every birthing year, there are a finite number of bucks born.  Only a portion of those survive.  Each year, nature and external factors further limit those surviving bucks.  If you can take hunting out of the equation until they reach 5-6, then the odds of seeing a buck who has reached his potential increase substantially.

If hunters are shooting the relatively low numbers of 3-4 year old bucks who make it that far, the odds of seeing one who is 5-6 are slim.

Supplemental food can provide a boost to horn development, or concentrate deer away from non-participating neighbors.  It also helps in 1st year survival rates which in turn put more bucks in the live/die lottery in subsequent years which helps the overall numbers game.

The Hill Country of Texas is the classic example.  In 60's-80's, the conventional wisdom was that Hill County bucks were genetically inferior and couldn't grow large horns.  Fast forward to today when day-hunting has been all but eliminated and lessees are managing for mature deer.  It is no longer uncommon to see 150"-170" low fence,pure genetics bucks take off properties that 30-40 years ago would be hard pressed to produce a 120" deer.  Nothing has changed but the age of the average buck being taken.

Feed 'em some and work to increase the age of the bucks that are taken in the area.  Nature will do its part.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, deadshank said:

“Nothing impressive” you say?

Hardly.   That’s awesome!  Good for her!

Haha, probably didn’t word that correctly. To be fair, I had to follow Johnny Sack’s post. But we are definitely ecstatic and I’m extremely impressed with her determination and patience over the past several weeks to get it done. Next step is getting her a nice axis with the bow. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Time is the biggest factor (followed by food).  If you can get your hunters and / or neighbors to let bucks age, nature takes care of itself.  There are precious few places where when given 5-6 years to grow, bucks won't put on substantial bone.  It becomes a numbers game.  For every birthing year, there are a finite number of bucks born.  Only a portion of those survive.  Each year, nature and external factors further limit those surviving bucks.  If you can take hunting out of the equation until they reach 5-6, then the odds of seeing a buck who has reached his potential increase substantially.

If hunters are shooting the relatively low numbers of 3-4 year old bucks who make it that far, the odds of seeing one who is 5-6 are slim.

Supplemental food can provide a boost to horn development, or concentrate deer away from non-participating neighbors.  It also helps in 1st year survival rates which in turn put more bucks in the live/die lottery in subsequent years which helps the overall numbers game.

The Hill Country of Texas is the classic example.  In 60's-80's, the conventional wisdom was that Hill County bucks were genetically inferior and couldn't grow large horns.  Fast forward to today when day-hunting has been all but eliminated and lessees are managing for mature deer.  It is no longer uncommon to see 150"-170" low fence,pure genetics bucks take off properties that 30-40 years ago would be hard pressed to produce a 120" deer.  Nothing has changed but the age of the average buck being taken.

Feed 'em some and work to increase the age of the bucks that are taken in the area.  Nature will do its part.

Yep.  While the Hill Country has benefitted from an infusion of better genetics (S. Texas, Midwest, etc) genetics from breeders, they have also seem a huge boom in mass/size just from proper management and resources.  The oft repeated stat that I have not really verified that there are more deer in the US now than when Columbus landed makes sense.  So many people have dedicated their land to this singular mission of growing their numbers.  

All about neighbor communication as best you can and a focus on management and conservation.  This was message #1 when we vetted out hunters and the standard we hold them to.  

This little lopsided fellow had been hanging around the feeder a lot the last month, pretty tame.  Then I saw this on the cam.  Not sure what the heck happened to him - shot?   Hard to imagine a fence did that.
Wildcamera.jpg\
Wildcamera.jpg
Here he is a couple days ago.  Hard to tell if he's healing ok or if it's infected.
Wildcamera.jpg

Damn. Not sure what could have caused this. Maybe got caught in a fence and the wound keeps getting worse? I don’t think it would be caused by some type of predator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Damn. Not sure what could have caused this. Maybe got caught in a fence and the wound keeps getting worse? I don’t think it would be caused by some type of predator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It looks like someone took a shot at him and grazed him, but that's just a guess.  

36 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

It looks like someone took a shot at him and grazed him, but that's just a guess.  

Definitely looks like an elongated straight wound. I can't help but wonder if it's a miss with a bow. Angle / placement is perfect....and if he flinched / jumped the shot...it could have cut him across the top and opened it up. The only thing that makes that hard to believe is how wide the wound is.  I dunno...sucks for the little guy though!

37 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Definitely looks like an elongated straight wound. I can't help but wonder if it's a miss with a bow. Angle / placement is perfect....and if he flinched / jumped the shot...it could have cut him across the top and opened it up. The only thing that makes that hard to believe is how wide the wound is.  I dunno...sucks for the little guy though!

Yeah, especially because he already appears to have gotten injured on his left side, since his right antler is deformed.

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Maybe got caught in a fence and the wound keeps getting worse?

They love to go under fences rather than over; even when being pushed.  High speed fence ducking causes wounds like that when there is a tie or something else hanging down.

I've seen meat and skin on a fence crossing before and it would have created a wound like that, especially if it was running.

Could be a missed shot but one would hope not at that angle (for an arrow).  If you don't have a poaching issue, I'd lean towards a fence.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

They love to go under fences rather than over; even when being pushed.  High speed fence ducking causes wounds like that when there is a tie or something else hanging down.

I've seen meat and skin on a fence crossing before and it would have created a wound like that, especially if it was running.

Could be a missed shot but one would hope not at that angle (for an arrow).  If you don't have a poaching issue, I'd lean towards a fence.

We're on a small spot in Hays county, so not so much "poaching" as neighboring landowners maybe.  But yes it could have been a fence - we used slick wire on all of our non-wood fencing, but the back fence running along our property is 40 years old and nasty.  This poor little bastard got caught earlier this summer.  Almost made me sick to see it after the fact.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

We're on a small spot in Hays county, so not so much "poaching" as neighboring landowners maybe.  But yes it could have been a fence - we used slick wire on all of our non-wood fencing, but the back fence running along our property is 40 years old and nasty.  This poor little bastard got caught earlier this summer.  Almost made me sick to see it after the fact.

spacer.png

I found one of those a couple years ago on our place.  The grass never grew back where the poor thing thrashed for God knows how long.  When I first saw it, my stomach really knotted up.  I thought it was something else.  Being in Brooks County, we find more than dead deer occasionally.

Over the years my dad has come upon 3 deer stuck in fences and still alive, and was able to free all of them without incident. I usually find a dead one every couple years at our place. Lost a decent 8 or 10 point a few years ago in a fence.

12 hours ago, 686 said:

Over the years my dad has come upon 3 deer stuck in fences and still alive, and was able to free all of them without incident. I usually find a dead one every couple years at our place. Lost a decent 8 or 10 point a few years ago in a fence.

I freed a doe several years back.  When she was finally out, she was too exhausted to run. She just stood right next to me and stared.  Very weird feeling.

• Hook 'Em 1

Years ago, we had a hog trap that we kept near the pond at our lease in Live Oak Co.  It was essentially the hog-sized version of the Have-A-Heart trap.  Not ideal.  We inadvertently trapped a little 6-pt buck in there.  He managed to get his antlers stuck in the hog paneling, so even when we opened the door to let him out, he couldn't escape.  I ended up climbing up on top of the trap with a hammer and breaking his antlers so he could get loose.  He was bucking and thrashing the whole time, but once he was freed and got out, he just stood there and looked at me for a few seconds before walking off.  Weird feeling.  And, yes I hated that trap and would never own one of my own.  We use a round trap with an open top now at our place in Kimble Co.  No more stuck deer.  

• Hook 'Em 1