2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I can't imagine either the balls or outright level of stupidity necessary to take my rifle and go hunt another man's land without their permission. 

I crossed a property line a few years ago trailing a wounded doe, but it was heavily wooded, dark, and we'd been following the blood trail about an hour at that point. And technically there was no fence or purple paint, so we weren't legally tresspassing. I left my rifle behind and only had my sidearm on me so it would be clear we weren't trying to poach anything, but when the blood got scarce and crossed the fence into a pasture behind a neighbor's house we quit. Didn't much feel like getting shot.

13 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I should clarify. All but one of those instances were people poaching from the county road and not physically on our land. That decoy that you see on Lone Star Law is a legit tool and not something just for tv. We are very fortunate to have a game warden that 1) lives less than two miles away, and 2) likes us and likes to do his job.

Yep, saw one once.  GIANT buck off the side of the road in Runnels county off HWY67.  We slowed down to a crawl to gawk.  He was behind a cluster of thick bushes conveniently so just his head and neck were showing.  Then his little robot head moved left.....then right...then left again, and we got the heck out of there fast...as we knew there were wardens with eyes on us.  

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I crossed a property line a few years ago trailing a wounded doe, but it was heavily wooded, dark, and we'd been following the blood trail about an hour at that point. And technically there was no fence or purple paint, so we weren't legally tresspassing. I left my rifle behind and only had my sidearm on me so it would be clear we weren't trying to poach anything, but when the blood got scarce and crossed the fence into a pasture behind a neighbor's house we quit. Didn't much feel like getting shot.

Did/do you know the neighbors?  

2 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Nope. Heard dogs barking as we were tracking her, and the blood trail thinned out before she hopped the fence, so we figured she got chased pretty good there at the end where we lost the trail.

Gotcha - we made our hunters meet all the neighbors before they signed.  We've been close for decades now and I'm not going to let some fuckery ruin that.  Of course we've never met their hunters, so......

This was my father in laws property. Only about 16 acres. All the properties are long narrow strips, so it doesn't take much to cross the lines. We have a few hundred acres on my side of the family, and all but pretty much one border is owned by kin folk (distant cousins and such) who we see fairly often at family reunions, so crossing fences wouldn't be much of an issue. In fact they would probably give us the go ahead to shoot something on their property if we asked. I pretty much prefer to hunt there nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

What is the group thoughts on the neighbors little rat terrier coming across the property line and running deer off from the feeder? While he’s sitting 100 yards away on his gator watching it all. I’m leaning towards a 7mag to the midsection and watching Fido explode like an earl campbell on the grill

Film it all, and call the game warden. Harassing hunters is against the law. My son and his buddies used to duck hunt in the Brazos River bed in a hot spot behind a friend's house. A lady a couple of doors down didn't like it and started threatening to call the Game Warden. After two more times, that's what she did. The boys already knew that they had the right to be there. When the Game Warden showed up, they both explained their side of the story. The Game Warden actually cuffed her, and threatened to book her with hunter harassment to make his point. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

What is the group thoughts on the neighbors little rat terrier coming across the property line and running deer off from the feeder? While he’s sitting 100 yards away on his gator watching it all. I’m leaning towards a 7mag to the midsection and watching Fido explode like an earl campbell on the grill
I stern talk with the neighbor would be first then if it happens again, record it and call the local game warden.
1. Hunter Harrassment
2. Wildlife Harrassment
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Film it all, and call the game warden. Harassing hunters is against the law. My son and his buddies used to duck hunt in the Brazos River bed in a hot spot behind a friend's house. A lady a couple of doors down didn't like it and started threatening to call the Game Warden. After two more times, that's what she did. The boys already knew that they had the right to be there. When the Game Warden showed up, they both explained their side of the story. The Game Warden actually cuffed her, and threatened to book her with hunter harassment to make his point. 
CHIEF

Thanks guys. I didn’t give the whole story as it would have taken time I didn’t have last night.

For the last probably 5 years I’ve noticed that predominantly during hunting season, this person has driven down to the stock tank that is adjacent to our fence line. He does a lap around it and then parks on the western side of the tank with our property line being on the east side. Never fails that he always manages to do this at the very moment that the deer are coming out to play. It has caused me some mild annoyance but usually the deer don’t mind him much.

This deer season things have changed. He’s been bringing some sort of little rat dog with him and it runs around and chases his cows which gets the attention of the deer. Last night I’m sitting behind a stack of hay bales watching one of the fatter does I’ve ever seen and thinking about popping her in the head when everything at my feeder goes on alert, then bolts. This little yappy dog has made its way into my hay field and is now chasing all of the deer away. No attempts that I can hear or see being made to get the little shit to come back.

I’m still very livid at the moment but I think I’ll catch him down there sometime this week and air my grievances. If he’s not receptive I’ll involve the GW. I did not know Hunter harassment was a thing so appreciate y’all for the education.

Texas Game Wardens don’t mess around with hunter harassment. If you have any relationship at all with the other guy, I’d try to talk to him first. He knows exactly what he’s doing but he probably doesn’t understand much trouble he can get into. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah he needs training wheels to hold up his head.  

It is warm out here in South Texas.  In a blind with my son (11) and my daughter and her friend (both 9).  

You hunting from a station wagon?? I can’t stand to be in a blind with anyone. Pack me in with three little humans that can’t be still, quiet, and constantly have to pee and I’d be too drunk to see my crosshairs. Good on you for being so patient lol
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

You hunting from a station wagon?? I can’t stand to be in a blind with anyone. Pack me in with three little humans that can’t be still, quiet, and constantly have to pee and I’d be too drunk to see my crosshairs. Good on you for being so patient lol

It’s a 4x8.  Which is way too big to hunt single.  But we have plenty of room.   

I should have left the girls at camp.  They are complaining and making too much noise.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Any consensus on proper age for a boy to start shooting a shotgun? Been talking to him about him about gun safety and he’s been around my shotguns and rifles a bit but more interested in him physically handing the kick part of it. Haven’t shot a 410 in decades so don’t really remember how it kicks if much at all. Boy will be 8 in the spring but he’s skinny skinny (unlike his daddy).

I have a coworker that has been taking his oldest out since he could legitimately maintain control of the gun and understood how to listen explicitly to what dad had to say and for him that was 5 years old. Little critter is a duck and dove killing shitass and I believe he’s almost 8 now. I hate hunting with him because he doesn’t effin miss.

13 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

Any consensus on proper age for a boy to start shooting a shotgun? Been talking to him about him about gun safety and he’s been around my shotguns and rifles a bit but more interested in him physically handing the kick part of it. Haven’t shot a 410 in decades so don’t really remember how it kicks if much at all. Boy will be 8 in the spring but he’s skinny skinny (unlike his daddy).

Plenty old enough. I would go ahead and step up to a .20 gauge youth model. A .410 is about useless for birds, but makes a great snake gun, or teach him to shoot them off the ground or the power lines. LOL

CHIEF

Suggestion: do NOT start him on a single shot - they kick like a mule. At 10, I had the boy shoot a single shot 20, and he hated it, because it knocked him silly. Just to try, I switched him to his great grandpa’s shitty old Winchester 12 auto. Three shots, three clays powdered, he lowers the gun, looks at me, and says “dad, this is my gun.” And it is.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@Johnny Sack wrt to that one you posted a few pages back. I’ve tried to score him a half a dozen times and have given up. What are you thinking he’ll go?  Absolutely awesome deer y’all got down there (understatement) 

I tried to score him as well, and I stopped at a shit-load.  That’s a beautiful buck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

A youth auto-loader with only one shell in it is the way to start.  410 or 20 ga. would be ideal.  410 autos are hard to come by and tend to be on the expensive end.

My kids had killed deer with a rifle from a rest by the time they were 6-7 and started shooting shotguns unassisted around 7-8. A LT-20 1100 was their starter.  Weight is important but barrel length is what you want to manage.  A 26” barrel would be best... max of 28”.  It becomes as much about leverage as it does weight.

Auto-loader helps with recoil and loading one shell at a time prevents an accidental discharge if he loses his balance after one shot, or double-taps the trigger by accident. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 9:49 AM, Lat22 said:

Texas Game Wardens don’t mess around with hunter harassment. If you have any relationship at all with the other guy, I’d try to talk to him first. He knows exactly what he’s doing but he probably doesn’t understand much trouble he can get into. 

Yep.  He can get into a hell of a pickle if he keeps this up.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:53 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm pretty sure it's technically illegal to shoot a neighbor's dog, even if they are allowing it to tresspass. However, a conibear trap meant for varmints...

Not 100% sure, but I was always under the impression that ANY dog unleashed on your property that is disruptive, etc is fair game.  Not neighborly of course, so they are always the "three S method"

15 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I started my son at 8 with a single shot, crack open, 20 GA.  The safety awareness of that type of gun was more important to me than the kick.  He got to be a pretty good shot since he knew that he only had one.  We went to a youth 20 GA pump when he was 11 or 12.

Exactly.  Started with a .410, downed hundreds of birds with it.  Graduated to a H&R single shot .20 - thousands more before I graduated again to an old 16G Winchester model 16 pump with poly-chokes.

The kick is minimal.  You get over it quick and I was a bean pole at that age.  Get a slip-on rubber butt pad if you have to.  Most important is learning the efficacy of each shot.  You get one.  You make it count.  You get closer.  Take better angles.  Don't rush your shots.  Same idea with starting them out with a .22lr and NOT going right to the semi-auto route.  

At this age, and it was different back them, my best friend and I would be turned loose on the ranch.  No vehicles.  So we packed up shells, water, food and headed out.  Back them it was 2K+acres, and we'd only come back when it was too dark to see and all you had was the moon glowing off those white caliche roads.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Exactly.  Started with a .410, downed hundreds of birds with it.  Graduated to a H&R single shot .20 - thousands more before I graduated again to an old 16G Winchester model 16 pump with poly-chokes.

The kick is minimal.  You get over it quick and I was a bean pole at that age.  Get a slip-on rubber butt pad if you have to.  Most important is learning the efficacy of each shot.  You get one.  You make it count.  You get closer.  Take better angles.  Don't rush your shots.  Same idea with starting them out with a .22lr and NOT going right to the semi-auto route.  

At this age, and it was different back them, my best friend and I would be turned loose on the ranch.  No vehicles.  So we packed up shells, water, food and headed out.  Back them it was 2K+acres, and we'd only come back when it was too dark to see and all you had was the moon glowing off those white caliche roads.  

Same with the .410 (including butt pad), I had a 1920s model Springfield/J Stevens Model 94 that had a rifled barrel for shooting slugs, but I only shot birdshot.  At times if there were no birds, I shot dragonflies.  Somehow we got shells cheap then.  Still have the shotgun.  

Not mine but what it looks like.  When you’re 11 that’s a long ass gun.

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Same with the .410 (including butt pad), I had a 1920s model Springfield/J Stevens Model 94 that had a rifled barrel for shooting slugs, but I only shot birdshot.  At times if there were no birds, I shot dragonflies.  Somehow we got shells cheap then.  Still have the shotgun.  

Not mine but what it looks like.  When you’re 11 that’s a long ass gun.

spacer.png

I cut my cloth on a breakover .410 -- I got so good with that damned thing, I remember getting 3 shots off once before the ducks got their bearings and hauled ass. Something about that need to reload, really messed me up as I grew into autos. I had to go to a pump because I have never been able to "get back on target" well with an auto, in the same way that I can with a pump / breakover. I guess I just need to reset??  Strange...

• Hook 'Em 1