2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Killed a 180” buck in south Texas last weekend.  That’ll be it for me for awhile on big deer.  

I am in East Texas this weekend hunting my wife’s land.  It’s rainy.  Just shot a piglet with the 6.5 Creedmoor.  It tore it up.  See entrance versus exit wounds. 

5D395EDD-F2B1-435F-AD10-4E11F49D4C96.jpeg

2B5A00B2-E87A-4642-89A7-5E17CA7C1700.jpeg

Pic of 180” buck???!!?!!?....!?.?

Went and sat in the 78 degree heat and humidity yesterday. Saw some does and that was it. May go back tomorrow to lay down a doe for the meat.

I posted last year with the trail cam pics of wild dogs in one of our food plots. Last week some old man was walking down the road and got mauled to death by wild dogs in the same county. Other side of the county so almost certainly not the same bunch but just a reminder to be careful. I will be hunting with a handgun on my person from here on out which is a PIA due to the weight / bulk.

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

What do you guess his age? From the before pic I would guess 3-4 years at most. That face looks young and from the one angle he doesn’t appear to have much of a brisket.

I’m guessing between 5 and 7. When he’s looking straight at you, he has a massive neck going back to September. Also, I have pics of him from late in the Summer with a beer gut and a little sway to his back. This is our second season on this ranch and I’m trying to improve my aging skills. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

a3dfe109ab042cdfebbb4588f3d9b5a3.jpg
e7807aa90c94bcda1ad7bd01f3e76ac0.jpg

This guy is on my hit list. He gets a reprieve because I only have one buck tag left and I’ve got my eye on a 12, possibly 14 point monster roaming the cotton field at the farm. But if I don’t get him next weekend, I’m coming home to take this guy out.

Those does are playing musical chairs around the feeder

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

We need a low fence hill country hunting thread. I can't compete. Holy shit at the last few. I am going to south Texas soon, maybe I will get lucky. 

For real, I see some of these freaks and I then I check my spypoint and realize that I am operating in a different universe of buck genetics.  I like to hang some of the little 10 pts I pull of my spot on the wall, and fill the freezer. No fucks given. But damn some of you guys are working prime deer real estate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I could probably arrange a hunt at my buddies place in Llano. Some of the guys here know him.
It’s about 1300 acres. Of course I’d have to tell him I’m bringing the palace of degenerates from the internet and all ...

I'm imagining a sign out front something like this....

hqdefault.jpg

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

For real, I see some of these freaks and I then I check my spypoint and realize that I am operating in a different universe of buck genetics.  I like to hang some of the little 10 pts I pull of my spot on the wall, and fill the freezer. No fucks given. But damn some of you guys are working prime deer real estate. 

As my crusty old uncle used to say when I'd see a huge buck and get all obsessed about finding it......"boy, can't eat them' horns"

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I get different experiences depending on where I hunt.  In South Texas the family place is large and high fenced with natural genetics but through management and supplemental feed we grow big deer.  But not the freaks you see on bred deer places.  Our biggest to date is 200.  Trophies are 150 to 170.  We have several a year.  And then a ton between 130 and 150.  Hell, my favorite deer I have ever killed is a typical 8 that went 150. We have nice facilities and it is very comfortable.

That deer I killed in this thread that went 180 was on a friend's place.  The deer are all bred deer.  It is a zoo.  The one I killed was fighting one that went 230-40.  In fact the big boy went over and gored my buck why he was laying on the ground dying.  Big boy was running around and it looked like someone had dipped his horns in a bucket of blood.  Some people would not care to kill a big deer off a place like that.  The deer are wild.  But they are all bred and released as fawns.  Now they don't breed anymore.  They are just letting their stock breed naturally in the wild.

My wife's land in East Texas is entirely different.  Half the time you hunt you see nothing.  Maybe see one good buck a year.  No luxury accommodations.  

I enjoy hunting all three.  Just getting outdoors and away from the city is all I need.  Doesn't matter to me.  I have killed enough trophies.  Hell, I enjoy tinkering with feeders, blinds, cameras, irrigation pivots, fences, etc. in between hunts almost as much as hunting.

The one thing I do love about South Texas and our place though -- is having a big place where you have miles of roads to corn.  I love driving a high rack around on a pretty day with friends drinking beer, listening to college ball, and taking out cull and does during the day between hunts.  One of my buddies who has more money than God has a setup like a safari rig on top of a one ton dodge.  Has directv, couches and a bar.  When he is there and we use that, man it's awesome.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Those are some great deer.

I’ve been out to our place 3 times and haven’t even messed with the deer due to the hogs. Between 4 guys we’ve shot 23 in 4 weeks.

You think you are making a dent and then I sneak out there yesterday and see this...7ed1b2a9817b7fd142103b2524c3e30d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Rage+1 1

I’ve been out to our place 3 times and haven’t even messed with the deer due to the hogs. Between 4 guys we’ve shot 23 in 4 weeks.

You think you are making a dent and then I sneak out there yesterday and see this...7ed1b2a9817b7fd142103b2524c3e30d.jpg

29 minutes ago, cknight said:

You should fix that cattle panel up to be a bit larger of a pen with a few one way restrictions. Let it fill up and then just go to town.

1 hour ago, cknight said:

https://jagerpro.com

18 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

We need a low fence hill country hunting thread. I can't compete. Holy shit at the last few. I am going to south Texas soon, maybe I will get lucky. 

Shit. I hunt pretty a pretty good area down there and we are happy for a few 140s a year.  It’s been managed for last decade or so but it’s got a LONG way to go to get the deer some have been posting.  It needs more doe mgt. Like pulling teeth getting people to take does. 

Talked with ex boss the other day. He killed a 192 and 180 in consecutive weeks.  Said he’s bored with it. I can see why. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Hell, my favorite deer I have ever killed is a typical 8 that went 150.

That’s a great deer. Love big 8’s. 

• Hook 'Em 1