2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

Didn't see anything tonight until 5 minutes before I was going to get out of a stand when I see a dark spot making it's way to the feeder. He knew something wasn't right as he would stop and have his nose up in the air. He finally made it to 20 yards and I let an arrow fly. It was already pretty dark, but I heard a good thump and it takes off into the brush. I hear him running around but no big crash but I think I know the area he may be in.
First thought was, Damn It...there goes a good arrow along with, I don't have a good flashlight with me.
I'm back up at camp, going to eat something and then go back to the bottoms up see if I can recover him.

• Like 1

I had a beautiful 10 in my sights about five years ago at the exact time of day you’re talking about. Bang! He took off and I knew my gun was on but he didn’t act like he was hit. I searched but not a crazy in-depth one. Gave up after twenty minutes of not finding even a drop of blood and chalked it up to a flat out miss. 6-8 months later I found him no more than 10 yards further from where I stopped searching. Don’t be like me, be thorough and hopefully you find him.

I had a beautiful 10 in my sights about five years ago at the exact time of day you’re talking about. Bang! He took off and I knew my gun was on but he didn’t act like he was hit. I searched but not a crazy in-depth one. Gave up after twenty minutes of not finding even a drop of blood and chalked it up to a flat out miss. 6-8 months later I found him no more than 10 yards further from where I stopped searching. Don’t be like me, be thorough and hopefully you find him.
We are talking about a pig. I'll put in the effort to try and find him but I'm not staying out all night trying to find him.
If it was a buck, yep 100% search would be on and tracking dog if necessary.

13 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

2 things I hate when up in a tree stand.

1. Little birds in the brush moving around making it sound like a deer is coming down a trail.

2. Dropping my rattling horns....

There's nothing like that heightened sense of awareness and anticipation as you hear something cautiously making it's way through the woods towards your stand. There's also nothing quite like the disappointment when a couple of lost donkeys step out.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

There's nothing like that heightened sense of awareness and anticipation as you hear something cautiously making it's way through the woods towards your stand. There's also nothing quite like the disappointment when a couple of lost donkeys step out.

Or the sound of two bull raccoons fighting in a milo field at night that sound EXACTLY like two demons from hell coming to murder you...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We don't have the deer density of Lakeway, but I have probably 13-15 deer that bed down on my 6 acres at all times. Don't move unless you get within 25 yards, etc. I also get to watch all of the deer in the pecan orchard as well. The rut, here, was rolling on the opening weekend. The second rut is rolling now. Saw two bigger bucks on does this afternoon, with satellite bucks circling. Went to the 6 acres, and there were two decent bucks that I haven't seen before. Good luck.

CHIEF

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Speaking of beautiful 8’s and long tine length. No CR.

*pic won’t load so linking article.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/12/06/ted-cruz-gets-a-rise-out-of-pearl-clutchers-with-hunting-pic-circles-back-for-the-kill-1003002/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I follow a ton of hunting shows, people, podcats, etc.  Every one of them catch massive hell from the anti-hunting coalitions.  Especially Cam Hanes.  Most just ignore it for the nonsense it is.  

22 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

First Pheasant hunt NW of Dumas. Expected lots of exercise, wind, dust and a fun time. Watching the dogs work was great and more than a little helpful, without their help it will be a very long day.  Will do this again.  

033DC375-CEE4-4309-813F-1C0689228C74.jpeg

9F8DDD90-B673-4976-92CD-95C4A22E07AA.jpeg

Working with well trained dogs is a thing of utter beauty.  We used to have dedicated quail hunters on our place and the surrounding ranches.  They roll up with their trucks and custom aluminum dog kennels in the bed of the truck.  They'd work our place (650+ acres) in just a few hours and then on to the next.  Those dogs have so much money and time invested in them.  Why so many upland bird hunters are so singular in their endeavors.  Hard to have great dogs as a generalist that hunts a little bit of everything.

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Speaking of beautiful 8’s and long tine length. No CR.

*pic won’t load so linking article.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/12/06/ted-cruz-gets-a-rise-out-of-pearl-clutchers-with-hunting-pic-circles-back-for-the-kill-1003002/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn. I went to south Texas this past weekend and wish that dude walked out. That is a great 8. I saw a big boy that looked like that but it had a 2" g2 kicker and would have been my trophy so I punted. I love a big 8.

On 12/6/2020 at 10:40 AM, Al Czervik said:

First Pheasant hunt NW of Dumas. Expected lots of exercise, wind, dust and a fun time. Watching the dogs work was great and more than a little helpful, without their help it will be a very long day.  Will do this again.  

033DC375-CEE4-4309-813F-1C0689228C74.jpeg

9F8DDD90-B673-4976-92CD-95C4A22E07AA.jpeg

Glad to see some pheasants in this thread. How far south do pheasant get in TX? 

We recently inherited some of my grandparents farmland in western KS so I've got into pheasant hunting the last couple of years. I still have no idea what I'm doing but just love walking around the edges of fields and blasting at the random birds that fly up...worst case scenario you go on a nature hike for a couple of miles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I live on the high plains, and opening day of pheasant season was better than Christmas for me. My family would host half a dozen of my dad’s college buddies. I was allowed to ride along if I cleaned and oiled shotguns the night before. 
Always had a GSP, even when I became more involved in ranching and less involved in hunting. Such great family dogs. 
Easier said than done, but wait two or three more seconds before you pull the trigger on those birds. It’ll make a big difference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Man out in Vernon we’ve had a great year for doe, lots of good sized girls out there but in 3 trips we’ve seen 0 buck during either rut and it’s killing us.

Hogs have been thinned out too but damn bucks ain’t moving like they used to.

I took a 100lb and 95lb doe on opening weekend, and buddies have taken 2 more, around 90lb and a little 75lb girl and there are plenty more big girls walking around out there.

We’ve also noticed they’ve changed their morning paths this year pretty significantly and now the active time seems to be 8.30-9am this year. Last year they were super active right at dawn

8 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I live on the high plains, and opening day of pheasant season was better than Christmas for me. My family would host half a dozen of my dad’s college buddies. I was allowed to ride along if I cleaned and oiled shotguns the night before. 
Always had a GSP, even when I became more involved in ranching and less involved in hunting. Such great family dogs. 
Easier said than done, but wait two or three more seconds before you pull the trigger on those birds. It’ll make a big difference. 

Remember my first pheasant hunt.  HS kid.  One dog that was semi-trained so we did a ton of walking.  Never knew those birds flush STRAIGHT UP and are loud as heck.  I had a giant plug of Levi Garret in sloshing around in my mouth.  Almost walked over a bird before it flushed.  Scared the crap out of my.  Swallowed half the plug.  Turned green.  Spent the rest of the afternoon in the truck, sick as a dog.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 8:34 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

This was shot at our place last week.ee2d5901e5d2aba0c2dba2d941d2bfd2.jpg I am waiting on the south Texas big boys to fill my tags.

Got the report back, no CWD per testing. 4.5 years old.

My FIL claims to have seen a 10pt 5.5+ year old today while scouting today. I told him to shoot it but he just wanted to go poke around on a day trip. He knows his deer after 40+ years of hunting.  I am trying to get off work Friday to go up and see what I can see. End of year is a beating at work, closing out shit. We will see.

I haven't seen a deer like that on our place for 4 years. Odds are he will be gone but we will see.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 2

Once got a Willys stuck. Then another Willys stuck trying to get it out. Then an old International Harvester tractor trying to get THOSE out. We finally decided to wait till morning (when, coincidentally, we might also be a touch more sober), and use the big ass Case tractor to pull them all out.

It worked. My grandfather, who ran the ranch, was not amused....but then seeing how much we’d fucked up, and how we had to solve it ourselves, became VERY amused.

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Once got a Willys stuck. Then another Willys stuck trying to get it out. Then an old International Harvester tractor trying to get THOSE out. We finally decided to wait till morning (when, coincidentally, we might also be a touch more sober), and use the big ass Case tractor to pull them all out.

It worked. My grandfather, who ran the ranch, was not amused....but then seeing how much we’d fucked up, and how we had to solve it ourselves, became VERY amused.

We are mainly red sandy soil in Frio County.  No clay.  You just can’t stick a light vehicle like a Willys (we have 2) or my Samurai with a high rack. Don’t even need get out and do the wheel locks and shift into 4 wheel drive.   

At my buddies place in Webb County it’s that black clay.  You better have 4wd if it gets wet. And if it rains enough you better not go out.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 2:44 PM, BabaYaga said:

Remember my first pheasant hunt.  HS kid.  One dog that was semi-trained so we did a ton of walking.  Never knew those birds flush STRAIGHT UP and are loud as heck.  I had a giant plug of Levi Garret in sloshing around in my mouth.  Almost walked over a bird before it flushed.  Scared the crap out of my.  Swallowed half the plug.  Turned green.  Spent the rest of the afternoon in the truck, sick as a dog.   

If that ain't country I'll kiss your ass...

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
18 hours ago, BabaYaga said:
Did someone say muddy....;)  The indomitable Willis bit off more than it could chew!

Jeep.thumb.JPG.9a12b4de1537fa7281e69337db96bab5.JPG
Jeep2.thumb.JPG.10fd0b7ae1329f4ad71548b1ad340121.JPG

That is a pure "hold my beer" moment right there. You better have some good equipment to get that out.

Something like that, yeah.  It was actually an isolated patch and wide open area, so the truck was able to pull right out.  Took the jeep up to the main road and drove her back and forth flinging craploads of mud off.  It was a hot mess.  Those tires are siped airplane tires - so they are heavy as shit, but indestructible.  22lrs bounce off them.  We can drive that little monster straight through a pear patch and use that triangular tow hitch as a battering ram for small mesquite......but not great in mud.