2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

Just now, Both Tacos said:
9 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:
Maybe just a Texas variation on the French tradition of hanging and aging a game bird?

I've left ducks in the fridge for up to a week. A friend does that everytime and says it makes them tender. I only do it when I don't have time that day to clean them.

I've done that with turkeys, too.  The traditional French method is to hang them by the neck until the neck rots and they fall to the floor.  I'm not that hardcore.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

My favorite part was the 1 1/2 yr old 8 in the back who decided he’d sneak off with a babe while wanting no part of the fight in the field. 

Yeah but that big buck watching the fighting at that point whips around and either runs to head him off or goes after the other doe by the blind.  Great video all the way around.

Heading to my wife's land in East Texas this Friday morning.  Won't be any giants.  But there is a decent, for that area, ten point that's been showing up.  Also, a pair of bald eagles have been sitting on top of my feeder most afternoons, apparently.  Hope to see that.  My father in law deleted my photos of them.  Ugh.

• Hook 'Em 1

All right guys.. Its Deer lease time.. 

I grew up hunting and have been waiting patiently to share the experience with my kids, 7 and 4. I have a few other guys looking to get on a place with me but we all don't even know where to start. We are all in agreement we want an annual lease somewhere within 4 hours of DFW.. Any tips on finding a place? I am going to try basecampleasing.com but after that, I have no idea how, and even when to find a place.. I would appreciate your advice.. Thanks in advance. 

15 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I grew up hunting and have been waiting patiently to share the experience with my kids, 7 and 4. I have a few other guys looking to get on a place with me but we all don't even know where to start. We are all in agreement we want an annual lease somewhere within 4 hours of DFW.. Any tips on finding a place? I am going to try basecampleasing.com but after that, I have no idea how, and even when to find a place.. I would appreciate your advice.. Thanks in advance. 

I can’t help with the websites. But the biggest thing I learned was that you need to have the groups money ready to go, and have someone willing to drop everything they are doing and assess it. If that’s a Tuesday, they need to be ready then. The demand is so high that if you have to wait, someone in line won’t.  People say feed stores. Craigslist is spotty af but I’ve seen a few good places over the years. I know a lot of small central Texas counties have (usually outdated) listings on their county websites. But half the battle I faced was getting everyone to agree on an area, then size, then $$$, then finding the place. Once the first 3 got sorted, it was a lot easier. 

I’ve hunted my place for years as a guest but once the kids got old enough, figured it was time to join and actually pay. It’s been a blast having them down there.  I’m lucky enough to do kind of what you are doing. Out of the 6 guys, there’s only 1 I haven’t known for 15-20 years.  And he was like family to some of the guys I consider family, so we have a really good dynamic. I couldn’t imagine joining a big group of strangers.   Best of luck, there’s great deer up that way.

ETA: right now is the time, as people will be adding/dropping in next month and the leases will be looking for their spring $$$.  Also a great time to pick up equipment from people giving it up. I waited too long last year and ended up having to go new on some things I otherwise wouldn’t have.  People pick it up early in the year, which surprised me. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Call Joe Davis (972)922-2956 . He is a family friend and at one time controlled over a million acres worth of leases. It's too late for this year, but if you tell him what you want, and what you want to pay, he can definitely line you up. Tell him Eric from SwiftLift told you to call. I will see him tomorrow, and can see what he might have coming up.

CHIEF 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, texashorne said:

By too late for this year, you mean 2020, right? I was hoping to find a place at some point in 2021.. 

Yes, it's too late in the season to get on a lease at this time. Might be a good time for a three day guided hunt somewhere, so you can see if your kiddos like it. It would suck to go through all of the trouble of getting a lease, then the kids don't like it.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

The one on the right sitting down is paralyzed from the waist down but loves to duck hunt.
He is the cousin of the 2 boys that help brush blinds that is from Tennessee. He hunts a lake for divers so he has a blast getting after the puddle ducks. This is the second year he has come down.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

The one on the right sitting down is paralyzed from the waist down but loves to duck hunt.
He is the cousin of the 2 boys that help brush blinds that is from Tennessee. He hunts a lake for divers so he has a blast getting after the puddle ducks. This is the second year he has come down.

I think you might have posted that about the boys bringing him last year.

Good stuff!

Probably did. It was a good time last year.
This year I had a conflict that I was taking my youngest girl on a TYHP hunt.Luckily a good friend of mine was able to take the boys out.
My girl missed a management buck this evening but put down a pig. How she missed that big deer but smoked the little pig, I don't know. Maybe a little bit of buck fever.
02ae321f3f182729a8db9f42ed947fcf.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Mixed bag this morning at my place. 31d587d538665c0dd3dc684a46a90fbc.jpg5678111426d119a573850207d1fb5997.jpg

Nice.  We had a paraplegic dude in the group I leased with back in the 90s on the KP.  Would ride a 4 wheeler out to the water flat then off load into a camo wheel chair.  His foot fell off a peg once and got tangled up in the rear wheel.  He said he was pretty sure it was broke but he couldn’t feel anything so let’s hunt.  Hell of an attitude.

• Like 1

Ethical question time: going to the blind tomorrow. Camera shows a ton of hogs that come in at dusk. I want to smoke their asses. Also, a nice 8 point every few days. Problem is on my AR, I only have fmj ammo. And I'm not taking two guns. The shot would be at 100 yardish or slightly more.

Im thinking pass on the deer and wait for pigs because I know they will come in. Thoughts?

Nice.  We had a paraplegic dude in the group I leased with back in the 90s on the KP.  Would ride a 4 wheeler out to the water flat then off load into a camo wheel chair.  His foot fell off a peg once and got tangled up in the rear wheel.  He said he was pretty sure it was broke but he couldn’t feel anything so let’s hunt.  Hell of an attitude.
Apparently he has a motorized chair that has tracks on it back home that he goes hunting in the through the mud and all.
The Hunt Master on this TYHP hunt we are on is paralyzed and uses a track chair like that to get around the ranch and a regular wheel chair to move around the lodge.

30 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Ethical question time: going to the blind tomorrow. Camera shows a ton of hogs that come in at dusk. I want to smoke their asses. Also, a nice 8 point every few days. Problem is on my AR, I only have fmj ammo. And I'm not taking two guns. The shot would be at 100 yardish or slightly more.

Im thinking pass on the deer and wait for pigs because I know they will come in. Thoughts?

If you are confident you can get a good neck shot and the opportunity presents itself I don't see any reason not to take it. But you would need to be confident enough that it will hit where you aim and that you can make the shot.

The good thing about a neck shot in that situation is that you have a little wiggle room if ti is shooting a little high or low within reason, so as long as you aren't shooting left or right of your point of aim an inch or two high or low won't hurt much.

Anyhow, last week the FIL went out and sat in the blind just befor dark. We knew there was a group of about ten pigs or so that has been coming to our feeder, and there is a motion sensor light out there by it. Sire enough, about ten minutes after shooting light was up we see the light come one. We shine our lights from the blind and the pigs are there. End up shooting this guy.

spacer.png

We didn't feel like cleaning it, so we just kinda drug it off and left it.

Fast forward to tonight and we are heading out again to see if we can shoot a pig or two, and I'm walking to the feeder to manually set it off. I see movement off to the side. I get a little closer and it looks like a possum is humping something. Then I realize that that was where we left the pig from last week. The possum had it's head stuck inside the pigs rib cage and was munching away. I walked right up to it with my flashlight and it didn't even know i was there until a gave a it a little kick. He jumped out of there pissed off and just stared at me for a second before running off into the woods. So we didn't really see anything, but i did get mean mugged by a possum.