2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

We are at our small place in between Waller and Navasota.  We’ve never hunted it.  A couple hundred acres.  I put a game cam out.  We have several nice bucks.  The first two pics are of a really nice 14 point.  Second is a nice 8.  I’m going to put a feeder out here today.  One of the Buccees stand and fills.  

8720C441-EFE0-474D-BA67-8B5D7949D5D5.jpeg

2217CF6E-54CF-47CC-9917-CDA96FECEB34.jpeg

36ACCD8A-971E-44B4-81E4-8B6A13345AD6.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I’m pretty shocked.  We have about 100 acres of woods in the middle of the two hundred acre spread.  We’ve had this place for 50 years since before I was born and have never hunted anything but wood sucks and dove.   I had no idea we had deer like that on the place.  We are surrounded by small ranchettes and none of them hunt.  There is a tank in the middle of the woods.  I’m going to setup one stand with a feeder and cell cam. The woods are very thick. So there is no way a bullet could go to house or road.  

Had another good hunt this morning. I had to book out before the others got done and took my 6. The other 4 guys shot 20. Lost 4.
Only a couple of greenheads today so we are still waiting for the mallards to get here or maybe they just aren't using my place.
Keeping with the theme, I'm having duck tamales for dinner that I had made for us. 722e54ceeb169268dca6f1d4725c3345.jpg3af88acd23bb699c958f579b9fbc1eac.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

fd18733b9ce2e6a08da0864bd4a18f07.jpg
89120280f8a21d25fa4100352b1aa2ad.jpg

Didn’t duck hunt last season for the first time in 34 years. Remedied that with the first hunt of this season. Had to drive through some thick stuff to get back there, but the birds were coming in hot - 15-20 mins of fast shooting, then it was done. We finished with 7, could have limited or gotten close if we didn’t start out showing some serious rust on our shooting.

Didn’t realize how much I missed it. Got to hunt with [mention]TexasEd [/mention] and catch up on life. Coffee and biscuit on the way home. Pot of duck andouille gumbo coming soon. About to take a warm nap. Good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Didn’t duck hunt last season for the first time in 34 years. Remedied that with the first hunt of this season. Had to drive through some thick stuff to get back there, but the birds were coming in hot - 15-20 mins of fast shooting, then it was done. We finished with 7, could have limited or gotten close if we didn’t start out showing some serious rust on our shooting.

Didn’t realize how much I missed it. Got to hunt with [mention]TexasEd [/mention] and catch up on life. Coffee and biscuit on the way home. Pot of duck andouille gumbo coming soon. About to take a warm nap. Good stuff.

Is that the tank on that place south of the airport?

CHIEF

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Elroy?

That was my first duck hunt since I lost my dog. A lot of fun but also frustrating getting ducks with a stick and losing one in the high grass. Trained Dogs are great waterfowl conservationists. miss my Daisy 

it was so cold I just picked up this perch that got caught too close to the surface. 

CF7F3B63-890F-4D11-90F9-A861FBAF826A.jpeg

DDCFE6B2-17E7-4D6E-B10C-CBCD25832129.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I have the privilege to hunt a friend's property and one of the cool things is the pair of foxes that live there.  One of his daughters found a fake egg we think one of them stole from a hen house and chewed up trying to get it open.  We just watch them since they are fascinating.

image0.jpeg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just got back from my wife’s land in East Texas hunting with her dad, my son, BIL and nephew.  Was slow, slow, slow.  We have pretty small accommodations and my BIL snores like crazy.  I went out and slept in my truck and feel like shit.  

Going to my small family place south of Navasota in the morning and going to try and kill that 14 point or 8 point I posted earlier.  Have a feeder out now. It’s nice to be able to hunt less than one hour door to door   

Will spend the rest of the hunting weekends in south Texas.  I’ll just be culling and shooting does.  We have some work to do on does.  Probably let my son invite friends and their dads to shoot does and culls.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Staring at an absolute trophy of a 10. Normally I would shoot, but we’re on 2900 acres so I’m more optimistic than usual that he would survive until next year if I let him go....let’s see if I can be strong for another 25-30 minutes

Age?  He has already bred this year...

Just now, Herbie Hancock said:

I’m terrible at aging them on the fly. He’s a massive monster both body and rack compared to the two 8’s and super wide 6 that are in the same field as him. I would guess 4-5. Can’t say that I’ve seen him here before either

Take a photo through your rifle scope and post it.  

Last weekend for bucks.

Of course we had to postpone our hunting trip to next weekend.

Although there’s been no Bucks seen this season on our land, not that we have cams up but between our trips and the ranch hand that moves cattle across my land he hasn’t seen any either when he’s out that way.

Hoping to take a doe or 2 next weekend

3 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Last weekend for bucks.

Of course we had to postpone our hunting trip to next weekend.

Although there’s been no Bucks seen this season on our land, not that we have cams up but between our trips and the ranch hand that moves cattle across my land he hasn’t seen any either when he’s out that way.

Hoping to take a doe or 2 next weekend

No muzzleloader season in your county? We get an extra two weekends here, and I can shoot does with my great plains rifle as well.

Had another good morning with a buddy and my youngest in the main duck blind. 3 other guys are hunting my other blind and sticking it out for their limits. They had some poor shooting this morning bnb or they would be back at camp too. Finally got some greenheads in the mix.d96f0c65e37fc7dfe843d4aa78cbc17d.jpg1b9b6ade50dc3dcfda63fafbb294f4a3.jpg62e7cf6175ee8cd00f9c50a08f676149.jpg86c6f1a4d584fd9c86592ff728de8315.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1