2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

I mean as long as we’re telling shitty lease stories, we had our place in palo pinto for 8 years. Made lots of improvements that benefitted us and the landowner. It had about 20 or so red stag cows and 3 massive bulls that had escaped a high fence place several years years earlier during a wildfire and settled there. We had a geneltmans agreement that once the herd got above 40 cows and 4 bulls he would allow us to take a few. Absolutely beautiful 5500 acre spread on the Brazos. Week after deer season started in 2019 we were sent a letter certified mail that read the land had been sold and the new owner was giving us 30 days to vacate the property. Never got to take a red stag and never heard a peep from the landowner. I still have a key to the gate and know the combination to the oilfield operations lock....

I've commented on it before, but having a few hundred acres now is awesome for taking friends, family, and filling the freezer.  I went almost a decade with no lease / no land.  I was invited on a few doe hunts here and there, but that was sporadic at best.

Having a low-fence / small property has only made me want something bigger and better.  I'm a long ways away from being able to afford something bigger that I can control the herd with.  So, I'm leaning towards scratching my itch for some true hunting via an elk hunt or some sort of low-fence hunting experience.  Probably won't pull that off this year, but already looking to do something in 2022.

Who here has leased their own land out to hunters? Grandma is on 2900 acres in Milam county and it would be nice to make her a little extra scratch if it weren’t much trouble. My concern, and it was echoed by our neighbor Game Warden, is that unless you’re a high fence operation promising multiple massive trophy bucks it won’t be worth the hassle.

We are not high fence but we have an absolute boatload of doe and regularly harvest 7-10 eight point and higher bucks, with a couple documented 12 and over in the last few years. Shit ton of pigs as well.

I have no idea what going rate for a setup like that would be nor do I know the insurance and other costs.

18 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Who here has leased their own land out to hunters? Grandma is on 2900 acres in Milam county and it would be nice to make her a little extra scratch if it weren’t much trouble. My concern, and it was echoed by our neighbor Game Warden, is that unless you’re a high fence operation promising multiple massive trophy bucks it won’t be worth the hassle.

We are not high fence but we have an absolute boatload of doe and regularly harvest 7-10 eight point and higher bucks, with a couple documented 12 and over in the last few years. Shit ton of pigs as well.

I have no idea what going rate for a setup like that would be nor do I know the insurance and other costs.

That is not ideal "big buck" country. But for rich Houstonians, people from DFW, Waco, and even College Station that is a close drive. Proximity drives price as well, probably even more so than the chance to kill a trophy buck. It's just a chance to "get away". Check the https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/planning/hunt_lease/listlease.php and https://texashuntingforum.com to see what leases are bringing in that area. If you have water and electricity, or a house, even better.

CHIEF

I guarantee you that she could lease it out to posters on this board for market or close to it. As Chief noted, it’s not going to be super B&C trophy country, but proximity to Houston and Austin, plus the chance to take deer and hogs, and an occasional nice buck, would get you there.

And shit, if you set up the relationship right, it’s a group of guys who can check in on grandma, share some venison with her, and whatnot. Kinda the way leases used to work.

Id be game into taking a spot or 3 depending on the situation.
Any fishing tanks/ponds on the place?
Id be mighty interested to pay for some access.

Yep. I’m dead serious. Access to a place to hang out with some guys, shoot some hogs and deer, and maybe fish, within 90 minutes of home? I’m quite interested.
  • Like 1

You could lease that in a heartbeat.  Look for some low hanging fruit among friends, family, and business associates.

That's a perfect size and spot for one large family group, or a small group of buddies.  It would be a pain in the ass to just advertise and then cobble together 7-12 random guys, but if you had a deal where you have one point of contact for a family, business, or close knit group, it would be a peace of cake and you'd get very competitive rates.

We had a bit of a disturbing situation recently. We are north of Mount Vernon on about 170 acres. We know the LO next to us well and have a property behind us that both of ours back up to. He typically hog hunts with his thermal and in his ATV.

He was underneath a tree at night and about 30 yards from his back fenceline when he heard music and a truck coming along. Seems as though some bros were spotlighting onto both our properties at around 11 PM. We have reached out to that LO with no response and let the GW know what was going on.

Idiots.

• Rage+1 3

Always wonder what people do in a situation like this. It’s maddening and prob going to repeat unless you both plan and conceal a spike strip when u know you won’t be using the road. Then maybe call a sheriff once they blew their tires.  But this is my dream scenario.

On 2/14/2021 at 6:12 PM, Brisketexan said:

Yep. I’m dead serious. Access to a place to hang out with some guys, shoot some hogs and deer, and maybe fish, within 90 minutes of home? I’m quite interested.

You might be able to shoot 3 deer in Milam county so market price is iffy but like you’re saying, it’s not always about the deer

11 hours ago, Lat22 said:

You could probably put the fear of God into them with a couple of "shots over their bow", but they might have thermal too and return fire.

Maybe my sarcasm meter is frozen by being outside jacking with plumbing but this is Uncle Joe level advice.  See Col. Cooper’s Rule #2.

Correct way to handle trespasser is identify if possible and let sheriff or GW deal with it. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 3:35 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

I lease my place.  Have for years.  Been through a number of nightmare scenarios.  Even had to call the Warden in as one group shot a fucking ram and tried to stash/bury the body.

Vet them.  Interview them in person.  Leases these days are like little gold mines.  Ridiculously hard to find from the hunters perspective.  So time is on your side.  Start now.  I have a little under 700 acres leased to a group of 4.  All are young, successful, with families, and most importantly - are management minded.  They see this as a YOY investment process.  They are scouting and categorizing the deer.  Setting up cameras, NOT shooting young deer, and treating it as they would their own.  They are all well off, meaning they can afford the best equipment.  It matters.  Blinds, protein and corn feeders, ATVs, are all expensive.  They brought in a converted sea crate that is a cabin with septic and AC.

First thing I did was introduce them to my cousin and the surrounding neighbors.  Zero tolerance for chitty behavior.  

They are a huge help as they do much of the leg work.  Clearing shooting lanes, food plot management.  Blind and feeder placement based upon game pics and scouting.  They are also bow hunters - to which I have a huge love for.  It's hard to do.  Takes a ton of time, and requires massive time scouting.  Not just some idiot in a blind with a rifle and a beer.

Me and my kids are the +1.  We have rights to hunt when we want with notice given, but as I really like this group, I only take does during the extended season.  We visit a lot, hang with them, they cook steaks and bring good whisky and cigars are an all around good group.  

They hunt all the ducks, have the quail lease, and cut us a check each year for $10K which helps cover taxes and road/fence maintenance, and brush control.  This is well under market, but I like these guys and they will do any and all needed ranch work at the drop of a hat (they helped me put new windows and sliding glass doors in the old cabin and have helped with fence issues many times).

I would suggest something similar.  Don't throw strangers together.  Get a large group already 5-7 hunters that all agree and cut you ONE check each month.  They can sort it out amongst themselves.  Have them keep log books with pictures of every deer taken as well as animals they passed on.  Introduce them to the Warden and let them know he's always around.  Just be smart about it.  Hope this helps.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I lease my place.  Have for years.  Been through a number of nightmare scenarios.  Even had to call the Warden in as one group shot a fucking ram and tried to stash/bury the body.

Vet them.  Interview them in person.  Leases these days are like little gold mines.  Ridiculously hard to find from the hunters perspective.  So time is on your side.  Start now.  I have a little under 700 acres leased to a group of 4.  All are young, successful, with families, and most importantly - are management minded.  They see this as a YOY investment process.  They are scouting and categorizing the deer.  Setting up cameras, NOT shooting young deer, and treating it as they would their own.  They are all well off, meaning they can afford the best equipment.  It matters.  Blinds, protein and corn feeders, ATVs, are all expensive.  They brought in a converted sea crate that is a cabin with septic and AC.

First thing I did was introduce them to my cousin and the surrounding neighbors.  Zero tolerance for chitty behavior.  

They are a huge help as they do much of the leg work.  Clearing shooting lanes, food plot management.  Blind and feeder placement based upon game pics and scouting.  They are also bow hunters - to which I have a huge love for.  It's hard to do.  Takes a ton of time, and requires massive time scouting.  Not just some idiot in a blind with a rifle and a beer.

Me and my kids are the +1.  We have rights to hunt when we want with notice given, but as I really like this group, I only take does during the extended season.  We visit a lot, hang with them, they cook steaks and bring good whisky and cigars are an all around good group.  

They hunt all the ducks, have the quail lease, and cut us a check each year for $10K which helps cover taxes and road/fence maintenance, and brush control.  This is well under market, but I like these guys and they will do any and all needed ranch work at the drop of a hat (they helped me put new windows and sliding glass doors in the old cabin and have helped with fence issues many times).

I would suggest something similar.  Don't throw strangers together.  Get a large group already 5-7 hunters that all agree and cut you ONE check each month.  They can sort it out amongst themselves.  Have them keep log books with pictures of every deer taken as well as animals they passed on.  Introduce them to the Warden and let them know he's always around.  Just be smart about it.  Hope this helps.

BY, lessors like you are extremely rare. Most are in it for the almighty dollar, in the areas I hunt. They view it as a business, and I view it as a relationship. You need my skid steer for three months, fine, it's yours. Your cows can graze the oat patches, we will put in water troughs. It's all good. Somehow, that just isn't enough. They take what they can get, then do there damnedest to run you off. Our last lease was 600 acres, the owners unloaded a thousand head of steers on it, about Thanksgiving.That was never brought up. My buddy we got the lease from didn't even know about it, and I believe him. They "decided" that year would be the first year for that "arrangement". I am so jade. It sucks, I approach any lease as being in an adversarial position. I'm very reluctant to offer anything or communicate effectively, because it has bitten me in the ass any time I have tried going above and beyond. No good deed goes unpunished.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

the owners unloaded a thousand head of steers on it, about Thanksgiving.

We’ve fought this in the past. Still fighting it tbh. The one issue we did get fixed is the cowboys no longer get to use the bunkhouse. Most of them are Mexican nationals brought up to work these ranches a few times a year, and they treat it like spring break.  One of the guys on the lease kid (7yo) pulled a huge pair of panties out from under the bunk one time.  

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Have them keep log books with pictures of every deer taken as well as animals they passed on. 

This is a good idea, but a great way for landowner to justify increasing the rates as the management starts to take shape (and many will). We keep one amongst our group. 

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

This is well under market

What are y’all seeing up in that country these days?  $15/ac without living qtrs seems pretty close to what I was seeing a few years ago when I was looking hard in Coke County. Only difference is lots of people want to keep 150 ac/hunter and these guys are getting a bit more, if you don’t count your hunting into it.   I love it up there, and miss the 18k I used to get invited to a couple times a year. 

I agree 100% finding a good group is absolutely a must.  Our landowner is going to fuck us at some point, I can feel it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Our last "big" place, was in Stonewall County. We paid $6/acre, and sold off the quail rights for $2/acre. There were six of us on about 3,300 acres. it was a one buck county, and there were usually about zero to two 160 class bucks shot per year. Dependent on the rainfall. We realized we weren't probably going to shoot a good buck on a year with minimal rainfall, but we paid and hunted anyway. You know what? I know more people that own lodges, do a three day, high fenced, "canned" hunt with a guaranteed 160 class buck for $5k then I can count. But I don't want to do it that way. I don't want to have a buck on the wall that has a hole in his ear from an ear tag. We have come to realize we don't need that much land, if there has been some game management before us. The problem is, you don't know what constitutes a big big buck for the former hunters. You may have to pass up bucks for a couple of years until you grow them to the size you want. It's just very frustrating. We have champagne taste on a microbrew budget. Just have to drive further and further.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

We’ve fought this in the past. Still fighting it tbh. The one issue we did get fixed is the cowboys no longer get to use the bunkhouse. Most of them are Mexican nationals brought up to work these ranches a few times a year, and they treat it like spring break.  One of the guys on the lease kid (7yo) pulled a huge pair of panties out from under the bunk one time.  

That reminds me of the 70's.  Bunk house was ours October 1st through 1st weekend in January.  All of October was spent cleaning that mess.  Rest of the year it was for the cowboys/ranch hands who were all illegal.  We finally convinced the owner to buy a trailer and move it up on the hill above us for the workers to use 365.  That too was interesting.  During hunting season on Saturday nights we'd hear a honking truck at the gate .  Ten minutes later the old ranch truck driven by a cowboy would drive down from the trailer on top of the hill and load up 3-4 senoritas who had been waiting at the gate.  Sunday afternoon, the cowboys would drive then back to the gate when that same truck came and honked.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, CHIEF said:

BY, lessors like you are extremely rare. Most are in it for the almighty dollar, in the areas I hunt. They view it as a business, and I view it as a relationship. You need my skid steer for three months, fine, it's yours. Your cows can graze the oat patches, we will put in water troughs. It's all good. Somehow, that just isn't enough. They take what they can get, then do there damnedest to run you off. Our last lease was 600 acres, the owners unloaded a thousand head of steers on it, about Thanksgiving.That was never brought up. My buddy we got the lease from didn't even know about it, and I believe him. They "decided" that year would be the first year for that "arrangement". I am so jade. It sucks, I approach any lease as being in an adversarial position. I'm very reluctant to offer anything or communicate effectively, because it has bitten me in the ass any time I have tried going above and beyond. No good deed goes unpunished.

CHIEF

That stinks.  As with all relationships, it's about painful transparency and open communication.  It goes both ways.  This is why I feel it so important to vet people.  Interview them and be aware they are doing the same with you.  Before you offer anything, see what their plans are.  Have them articulate how they are going to improve the land....not just "use" it.  We do run cattle.  My cousins.  That was why the first introduction was between them, and then the surrounding land owners.  

I do hate the asshole LO's that think they can just bully people.  It's such a short-term minded way of thinking.  We run cattle as stated, and our guys have stepped in and helped mend fences from those damn cows.  Like I said, it goes both ways.  I told them I was charging under market for this very reason.  Money is important, but not as much as time, ears, and eyes.  I'm looking for stewards of the land, not just hunters.  I think needs to be the message and what to try and communicate if you are trying to get on a lease.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Our last "big" place, was in Stonewall County. We paid $6/acre, and sold off the quail rights for $2/acre. There were six of us on about 3,300 acres. it was a one buck county, and there were usually about zero to two 160 class bucks shot per year. Dependent on the rainfall. We realized we weren't probably going to shoot a good buck on a year with minimal rainfall, but we paid and hunted anyway. You know what? I know more people that own lodges, do a three day, high fenced, "canned" hunt with a guaranteed 160 class buck for $5k then I can count. But I don't want to do it that way. I don't want to have a buck on the wall that has a hole in his ear from an ear tag. We have come to realize we don't need that much land, if there has been some game management before us. The problem is, you don't know what constitutes a big big buck for the former hunters. You may have to pass up bucks for a couple of years until you grow them to the size you want. It's just very frustrating. We have champagne taste on a microbrew budget. Just have to drive further and further.

CHIEF

Same.  I like the pics as much as anything.  I like how excited the guys get and they send me tons of pics.  I just don't have the time right now to invest in proper game management.  

We used to hunt by camping out over our feeders, but the last 15 years (ended three years ago) we had big enough places, that we hunted more like Colorado hunting for Elk. We had big enough elevation changes that you could sit on hilltops and glass the whole time. We divided up in teams of two, and watch 400-2000 acres. You see a shooter, and would gamble cutting him off and getting a shot at him. We all took turns, if you shot a monster the year before, you would help someone else try for their's. This worked more often than not, and we shot some big bucks using this method. We increased our odds greatly. I guess we got spoiled. Because of lease prices, we are gonna have to go back to hunting feeders and food plots again, and managing the lease by passing up bucks and hope they don't get shot by someone else. It was fun while it lasted. It was a great luxury.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It's the classic Prisoner's Dilemma.  Evidence in action.  #econnerd

Managing it for the next group that has an extra $2/ac, too often.   Quite the dilemma. 

In my particular case,  we just renegotiated ours last year.  Our LO loves to mention that we are only 3 miles from the nearest King Ranch pasture, but doesn’t want to talk about us being 250’ from the nearest subdivision. A solid 1/4 of the ranch is greatly diminished hunting because it runs along a neighborhood. Worse yet, they are reconstructing the highway to bypass right next to us.   So pretty sure this will be our last contract unless the price significantly decreases.  It’s going to be a screwed up deal when it comes to fruition. Y’all know the drill on a lot of new places, last group goes on killing spree on their way out.  Start management over.  

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Managing it for the next group that has an extra $2/ac, too often.   Quite the dilemma. 

In my particular case,  we just renegotiated ours last year.  Our LO loves to mention that we are only 3 miles from the nearest King Ranch pasture, but doesn’t want to talk about us being 250’ from the nearest subdivision. A solid 1/4 of the ranch is greatly diminished hunting because it runs along a neighborhood. Worse yet, they are reconstructing the highway to bypass right next to us.   So pretty sure this will be our last contract unless the price significantly decreases.  It’s going to be a screwed up deal when it comes to fruition. Y’all know the drill on a lot of new places, last group goes on killing spree on their way out.  Start management over.  

Hate that.  Sorry to hear.  We had the opposite issues for years.  Shitty and disrespectful hunters with minimal to zero foresight or communication skills.  I'm in a unique position of having aging parents deeding property to me, which is four hours away.  So I need help managing and keeping it from getting away from me.  That's where they come in.  I communicated as much up front.  You're getting under market pricing, but you are also my 'ranch hands' when needed.  Fences.  Buildings.  Mesquite & pasture control.  Etc.  I'm also not needing this money as a dedicated source of revenue.  100% of it goes back into the property and I have no incentive to price gouge.  Like I said, unique circumstances.

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Hate that.  Sorry to hear.  We had the opposite issues for years.  Shitty and disrespectful hunters with minimal to zero foresight or communication skills.  I'm in a unique position of having aging parents deeding property to me, which is four hours away.  So I need help managing and keeping it from getting away from me.  That's where they come in.  I communicated as much up front.  You're getting under market pricing, but you are also my 'ranch hands' when needed.  Fences.  Buildings.  Mesquite & pasture control.  Etc.  I'm also not needing this money as a dedicated source of revenue.  100% of it goes back into the property and I have no incentive to price gouge.  Like I said, unique circumstances.

That’s the sound, long-term way to do it. And that’s the way most of the folks I know would prefer to do it.

I grew up with the idea of paying for your hunting by paying for upkeep, and showing up and being free ranch hands.

The boy and I have hunted the past few years, by invitation, on a friend’s ranch. We go up for work weekends. We contribute money for feeders. We bring a shitload of supplies whenever we go up, to restock things. And most of the time, we just shoot does and spikes. We are grateful for the chance to shoot a nice buck every now and then, and don’t abuse the gift.

I wouldn’t mind getting on an actual lease that functions similarly - a symbiotic relationship with the landowner, where we both work to care for their property.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yep, wish there were more places like that. I’m sure they are out there, but it’s got to be hard to pass up 25-75k annually just for some “help around the place”.  For the record, our LO is pretty good, not tying to give the impression he’s not. The place just isn’t worth what he thinks, and I think one day he’ll push enough and it won’t be worth it.  We don’t have to jack with fences and whatnot, they’ve got a hand out there. But we would if needed, about half the group still runs cattle themselves.  Everything is very well kept up, but we don’t trash it either (which makes it easy). I’m sure oilfield will be booming again next time it’s time for negotiations, and the prices will be all jacked up again.  Seems to work like that.  

I really really wish Mexico would get safe again.  I saw a 30k acre place recently for a very reasonable price.  But not sure the wife is cool with me taking the little ones across the border. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yep, wish there were more places like that. I’m sure they are out there, but it’s got to be hard to pass up 25-75k annually just for some “help around the place”.  For the record, our LO is pretty good, not tying to give the impression he’s not. The place just isn’t worth what he thinks, and I think one day he’ll push enough and it won’t be worth it.  We don’t have to jack with fences and whatnot, they’ve got a hand out there. But we would if needed, about half the group still runs cattle themselves.  Everything is very well kept up, but we don’t trash it either (which makes it easy). I’m sure oilfield will be booming again next time it’s time for negotiations, and the prices will be all jacked up again.  Seems to work like that.  

I really really wish Mexico would get safe again.  I saw a 30k acre place recently for a very reasonable price.  But not sure the wife is cool with me taking the little ones across the border. 

Usually your best leases are going to be much smaller:  300-600 acres.  3-5 guns allowed @ $2-$3K/gun.  For that price point, most LO's are not getting rich off the fees, but rather using for maintenance, taxes, and upkeep (like we are).  They are also best sourced via word of mouth and/or referrals. 

*example, we are going to have to restock all the tanks due to the freeze.  Which sucks are our FL hybrids were getting large (5-6lb range).  Guy that owns the hatchery we use has the best analogy I've ever heard for them:

"they just swim angry"

Reading these posts on leasing makes me realize how lucky my family has been leasing our place in the Hill Country. It’s been with the same core group of hunters for the last 40 years. When we’ve needed help, they always offered a helping hand. Both groups developed a significant amount of trust over the years.

The only difficult discussions involved whether kids could hunt for free. Our pricing was always based per gun. Some of the group didn’t like it and ultimately left the lease.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Usually your best leases are going to be much smaller:  300-600 acres.

Oh no I need more room to stretch my legs.  The places I've been a part of have been 2,400, 18k, 10k, and now 1k.    Even with the 1k now, it's laid out in a way (with easements) that make the hunting layout...not ideal (hunts smaller than it is)   It gets the job done but would rather pay more and have more land.   I found a GREAT place that was 300 acres, 2 guns, for like 3k/gun.  1 trophy (150+) and one management (130) per year.  It was a high fenced place and seemed to have ALOT of deer, probably too many.  But half the fun for me is riding around in the summer drinking beer and checking on stuff.  That's hard to do on 300.  The other thing is hanging out with by buddies (our whole group knows each other long time) and can't do that on a 2 gun place.  But would have been a nice place if you were a loaner that only liked hunting horns. 

21 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Reading these posts on leasing makes me realize how lucky my family has been leasing our place in the Hill Country. It’s been with the same core group of hunters for the last 40 years. When we’ve needed help, they always offered a helping hand. Both groups developed a significant amount of trust over the years.

The only difficult discussions involved whether kids could hunt for free. Our pricing was always based per gun. Some of the group didn’t like it and ultimately left the lease.

Thought about that.  These guys have little kids.  All 5-8yr range, so there's time.  If they want to start taking deer, then the price will go up.  Not too much, but something as it puts more pressure on the animals with more bodies in blinds.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Thought about that.  These guys have little kids.  All 5-8yr range, so there's time.  If they want to start taking deer, then the price will go up.  Not too much, but something as it puts more pressure on the animals with more bodies in blinds.  

I'd reckon over half the deer on our place is taken by the kids.  But they either sit in parents blind or the guest blind (what its there for) and it's off the parents tags.    I don't mind it because the 2 longest term members have the oldest kids, and we don't need any more guns, and at same time many of the kids have been there 10+ years.  It seems to work for us for now.  A reasonable "fee" may not be the worst thing in the world.  We just work the ever living shit out of them; I think we come out ahead that way.

On 2/16/2021 at 1:12 PM, fattyflattie said:

One into the engine block would be pretty stellar tho.  

That's why God invented the Barrett .50 cal.

You come on my land spotlighting and shooting shit up and I can guarantee you a very undesirable result and you'll have no idea from which direction it came.

I would not put crosshairs on a human silhouette, but an engine block?  Sheeeeiiiiiit.  Without hesitation.

Edited by Cajun

Holy shit, oof. 

First company I worked for out of college, we had a 10k acre lease in Laredo. Long term lease, O&G when money was flowing.  They built all kinds of little casitas and a big lodge even though it was a leased place. They had a ranch manager that we paid north of 150k/yr. His son worked for us too for some ridiculous amount of money.  Anyhow, it was a gravy job. Identify a few 150-ish deer a year for the clients, make sure the CEOs kid gets a nice buck, and make sure the chef had plenty of steaks; everyone was happy.  Over the years we weren’t seeing the kind of deer you’d expect out of a managed place of that size.   They caught him selling trophy hunts during the week. I guess a few hundred grand wasn’t enough. 

Catching up on this thread...

LOL
73c9d583b3b3837180cf5a513341adc2.gif

Us younger guys 150% fucked up our own access to that place. Makes me a little sick now, thinking back about trying to navigate that element having only the view of a 20yr old low-fence hunter ethics and little to no understanding of office/career politics.

“4 times in 5 years? Get fucked! I’m gonna go down with my clients and my project team shoot 1/100s of does you need dead, or be ecstatic about a chance at a 120 cull if I’m lucky...stop. scratch that, I’ll leave the rifle at home and just take a 12ga, borrow a high rack, an ice chest, and chase some birds.”

Shoulda coulda woulda have dozens of great memories off that place. So much squandered.

8 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The freeze killed a ton of axis deer.  Guess they aren’t built for sub zero temps.

O

Tried to post that earlier. Man what a shame. Have another pic of a blackbuck from Pipe Creek that came up to home and hung out on porch. Was cool pics that hopefully had a better ending.