2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I’ve literally driven a pickup out in to the middle of a wheat field and sat in a folding chair in the bed and shot the biggest deer of my life. Y’all overthink this too much sometimes

Yeah....well, what you didn't see was the even bigger buck that stayed in the timber that day because he recognized the barcalounger in the bed of the Ford wasn't the normal LazyBoy in the back of the Dodge that the farmer used every day.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve literally driven a pickup out in to the middle of a wheat field and sat in a folding chair in the bed and shot the biggest deer of my life. Y’all overthink this too much sometimes

Being honest... this has been like 1/2 of my tactics for ever.

It’s just now that I’ve got the family land to do a little more with these last few years. I’m just trying to switch things up. Also because it’s be nice to sit closer to the road instead of walking 1000yards in the dark to and from my stand. Heh.

And this past weekend we drive my suv right into the middle of the field and watched my feeder for a while before I got my BiL a hog.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Being honest... this has been like 1/2 of my tactics for ever.

It’s just now that I’ve got the family land to do a little more with these last few years. I’m just trying to switch things up. Also because it’s be nice to sit closer to the road instead of walking 1000yards in the dark to and from my stand. Heh.

And this past weekend we drive my suv right into the middle of the field and watched my feeder for a while before I got my BiL a hog.

LOL, yep.  Honestly, this is why we leased to younger hunters who have the time and resources to really manage the property, set up cameras, determine movement patterns etc.  

Then I can saunter in at the end of the season with the kids and let them pop something smaller.  I've got a number of 10-14 pointers on the wall from the place over the years so I'm no longer chasing horns and have more fun getting the kids involved.  

• Like 1

Does anyone here really get all done up to go hunting and go to all that trouble? Always makes me giggle to see someone show up head to toe camo, scent blocker, sabertooth crotch cricket urine and a grunt call. Only camo you’ll catch me wearing is my long sleeve t-shirt because it has a breast pocket I can put my license and ink pen in because I always fucking forget to bring a damn pen. Nothing like asking a GW if you can borrow his pen to fill your tag out. Old crusty Tony llamas, jeans and if it’s cold my Walls coveralls.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah....well, what you didn't see was the even bigger buck that stayed in the timber that day because he recognized the barcalounger in the bed of the Ford wasn't the normal LazyBoy in the back of the Dodge that the farmer used every day.  

You won’t find either of those heaps of shit on our place lol. But you have given me a hell of an idea. Cheap garage sale recliner under a big oak tree in the fence line would badass.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Does anyone here really get all done up to go hunting and go to all that trouble? Always makes me giggle to see someone show up head to toe camo, scent blocker, sabertooth crotch cricket urine and a grunt call. Only camo you’ll catch me wearing is my long sleeve t-shirt because it has a breast pocket I can put my license and ink pen in because I always fucking forget to bring a damn pen. Nothing like asking a GW if you can borrow his pen to fill your tag outemoji2357.png. Old crusty Tony llamas, jeans and if it’s cold my Walls coveralls.

Depends.  Blind hunting.  Almost never.  Only point of "camo" is it can get mud, and blood, and all kinds of stuff on it and I won't care a whit.  Should wear black in a blind anyway to minimize your profile.  Learned that the hard way carrying a small doe out of a gully over my shoulders.  Had a giant red streak going down the middle of my jacket that was a big stream of blood.  

Same with upland bird hunting.  I have good softshell camo that is more weather resistant and lighter than, say, Carhart stuff.  Usually mismatched with a solid top or pants, depending upon the terrain and weather.  

Turkey hunting - 100% camo'd up.  Beady-eyed fucks.  Have to go all out for those turds.

Mountain/public land hunting.  Same.  More for the light weight, technical aspect of most modern gear.  But not completely.  For example, THE BEST mountain pants for the money are Marmot Scree pants.  Have multiple pairs and they come in olive drab and grey.  Pair or Merino bottoms under and I'm good to go.  Often paired with a good wool sweater and cap.  

• Like 1

I have no shit walked smack in to the middle of a pack of thunderchickens on two occasions in the last couple years by complete accident. Like I damn near could have grabbed one, but the one time I actually set out to bag one and those sneaky fucks were nowhere were always juuuuusssst beyond the next patch of cedars. Bunch of assholes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Turkey hunting - 100% camo'd up.  Beady-eyed fucks.  Have to go all out for those turds.

If I want to harvest one of those skinny birds, I grab a six pack and drive the Polaris out to the back forty. They’re always there in the spring. Just shoot them out of the front seat. They’re there now. 

5E33BE5F-113C-4D20-B043-21C322EB7625.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

If I want to harvest one of those skinny birds, I grab a six pack and drive the Polaris out to the back forty. They’re always there in the spring. Just shoot them out of the front seat. They’re there now. 

5E33BE5F-113C-4D20-B043-21C322EB7625.jpeg

200.gif

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I have no shit walked smack in to the middle of a pack of thunderchickens on two occasions in the last couple years by complete accident. Like I damn near could have grabbed one, but the one time I actually set out to bag one and those sneaky fucks were nowhere were always juuuuusssst beyond the next patch of cedars. Bunch of assholes

They're not all that bright.  Just a royal, weapons-grade PITA to try and hunt effectively and consistently.  We've all had run ins with them.  Once watched one for a half hour keep sticking it's head in an out of a fence, trying to get through.  But those dudes that can call them in are GD wizards.....especially on public land.  

Yeah I have full camo in Max1XT but I don’t think I’ve ever worn it all at once. But it’s some sorta combo during deer season because I’m either in my stand or sitting on a berm above one of the watering holes...

I’ll wear the cargo pants a lot just because my land is all red dirt so I’d rather get my camo pants dirty instead of my other clothes.

Hog hunting is often a combo of camo and black shirts and caps

46 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I just leaned this about 3 months ago. I’ll probably get some duck color pants or something I guess. Brown maybe. But I’ve been wearing blue jeans for last 25 years or so. 

I'm of the opinion that camo patterns don't matter as much as just not wearing colors that stand out to deer and moving appropriately. If you are wearing earth tones and stay in the shadows with just a bit of cover between you and where you expect to find your quarry you will probably be alright as long as the wind favors you and you don't move to quickly.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Is sitting in the open on a lawn chair in blue jeans a thing now?

I'd suggest adding a shirt, maybe a hat, or you might hate the sunburn and mosquito bites afterward. Maybe underwear also, but that's up to you.

23 minutes ago, davidg said:

Man, I thought this was a Surly 1% crowd that was Sitka or KUIU prostaff.  I haz a sad.

KOOO-YOU "Attack" pants are utterly fantastic.  I do own in solid, not camo.  They are as comfortable as anything I've ever worn.  Like my Marmot Scree pants, but softer and more comfortable and a little lighter.  When the weather changes, they are my go to around town and at the ranch.  

IMHO, the only hunters that "need" the level of technical specifications of the Sitka/KUIU/FirstLite gear are midwest mountain hunters on public land that have to draw tags and spend a week or more in the mountains.  Especially gear that keeps you dry.  For the rest of us, meh.  

Edited by BabaYaga

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Lulz. I do love my Sitka gear in cold weather. It’s great.

This year I'm going to get a set of the Cabelas "Wooltimate" gear.  It's heavy, but indestructible and supposed to be insanely warm.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVFG7DtsVnLuG39oMx49F

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

So let me get this right.  You don't think I should buy a bunch of gear, stuff, guns, etc. that I really don't need?

Are you my wife?  

LOL, I'm in the same boat.  What gets me in that site called "Camofire".  Every day they have a new list of cool crap I don't really need.  It's like Amazon too, once you get an account, you click "buy" like you do with Amazon and I get all kinds of crap.  

Their parent company "Black Ovis" has really good merino wool base layers for a great price.  I use them almost exclusively

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

LOL, I'm in the same boat.  What gets me in that site called "Camofire".  Every day they have a new list of cool crap I don't really need.  It's like Amazon too, once you get an account, you click "buy" like you do with Amazon and I get all kinds of crap.  

Their parent company "Black Ovis" has really good merino wool base layers for a great price.  I use them almost exclusively

I'm debating on negging this post for putting that heroin in my veins.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I love the old school brown camouflage.  I have a bunch of it and wear it hunting more often than not.

spacer.png

I killed a lot of mallards and wood ducks wearing this bad boy and a pair of Hodgeman Wadewell waders in the floodwaters of the Neches river back in the mid to late '80s.  Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the matching Jones style hat my ninth grade girlfriend bought for me.  I think that hat is still on a rack in the garage.

1429107494_BrownCamoCoat.thumb.jpeg.9f8c9cd3ed07759abcbfd4be8e83b2c4.jpeg

Edited by davidg
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I love the old school brown camouflage.  I have a bunch of it and wear it hunting more often than not.

spacer.png

I've got that same piece and the "aquaflauge" version.  

Too bad that when I wear it I look like 25 lbs. of sausage stuffed into a 5 lbs. casing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, davidg said:

I killed a lot of mallards and wood ducks wearing this bad boy and a pair of Hodgeman Wadewell waders in the floodwaters of the Neches river back in the mid to late '80s.  Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the matching Jones style hat my ninth grade girlfriend bought for me.  I think that hat is still on a rack in the garage.

1429107494_BrownCamoCoat.thumb.jpeg.9f8c9cd3ed07759abcbfd4be8e83b2c4.jpeg

My uncle (RIP) left behind a hat in that old school camo that just said “Sabine” across the front.  I love the shit out of it, but can’t wear it because the chemical materials in band and whatnot just disintegrated with age. But I keep it in the closet.  He and his brothers killed a lot of birds in Anahuac in their day.  

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Any of y’all ever run across this pattern - “mammoflage?”

1570d304d215da015f9dd3a3786ceca9.jpg

Saw it at McBride’s back in the day. I think that it may not be on the market anymore.

Damnit. Now I have to have this.  

Little T'Boo wants to bird hunt in the fall with me.  He was my bird fetcher last year due to the loss of my GSP and wants to start taking part in shooting aside from busting empty Bud Heavy cans with his BB gun.  

I did not grow up hunting so please forgive my ignorance.  Would a 20 gauge be too much to start or would a .410 be optimal?  

He will be 9 by that time.  tall and lanky.  

Thanks 

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Little T'Boo wants to bird hunt in the fall with me.  He was my bird fetcher last year due to the loss of my GSP and wants to start taking part in shooting aside from busting empty Bud Heavy cans with his BB gun.  

I did not grow up hunting so please forgive my ignorance.  Would a 20 gauge be too much to start or would a .410 be optimal?  

Thanks 

20 gauge is the way to go.  Get him something with a 24 inch barrel.  I am partial to starting kids on a pump for safety reasons, but I recognize that's a personal decision.  I would also consider an over/under.      

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Thanks 

I've said this up-thread or on other site -- I started my son at about that age (maybe a year younger) with a single-shot, crack-open 20 gauge.  The visual image of it being either loaded or unloaded was good, plus he learned to take a well-aimed shot.  He moved up to a youth pump 20 gauge after a couple of seasons.  Now I keep his old single shot gun handy to dispatch raccoons and such that get too close to my chicken coop.  Win-win. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I started my son at about that age (maybe a year younger) with a single-shot, crack-open 20 gauge.

That's what I started with.  An on H&R single shot .20g.  NOTHING wrong with a pump or semi., but having that one shot does make it count more.  I got so decent I could fire and reload with birds still in the air.  When I graduated to a Browning B80 .20g it seemed like cheating.  Still have her.  

6 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Thanks 

I started my son at that age.  He used a 20 gauge auto with a short barrel.  I put him in a chair and stood behind him.  Told him he could shoot anything basically in between 10 and 2 o clock.  I was right behind him so could intervene if he did something unsafe.  I would load for him.  And take hold of the shotgun when he downed a bird so he could retrieve it.  I felt it was a very safe way to start.  He is 12 now and can dove hunt safely without me standing right behind him.  So I can actually hunt also now.  I stood behind him at ages 9 to 11.  All kids are different though.  Just watch them closely and err on the side of caution.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

That's what I started with.  An on H&R single shot .20g.  NOTHING wrong with a pump or semi., but having that one shot does make it count more.  I got so decent I could fire and reload with birds still in the air.  When I graduated to a Browning B80 .20g it seemed like cheating.  Still have her.  

Wouldn't a .20g be the equivalent of a five pounder?