2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I used to.  Then I went to the behind the shoulder shot.  But at the time we had a large ranch, MLD, and I was killing a minimum of 50 deer a year.  The behind the shoulder shot always worked, but they would always run 50-150 yards.  Got tired of dragging them through the brush.  So for the last 15 or so years, I wait until they are squared up and then shoot them high through both shoulders.  They drop and cannot run with both shoulders blown out.  Barnes TSX with a .257 Weatherby Mag does the trick.

Does this still do the vital damage/kill shot or do you find they need to be "finished"?  Im admittedly ignorant on this as I have only ever gone behind the shoulder or hunted with others that take a behind the shoulder shot.

1 minute ago, hookemATL said:

Does this still do the vital damage/kill shot or do you find they need to be "finished"?  Im admittedly ignorant on this as I have only ever gone behind the shoulder or hunted with others that take a behind the shoulder shot.

Depends upon the caliber and cavitation damage.  For me, I love the shoulder meat so I avoid these shots, but they are very effective as both shoulders are vaporized.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

High shot through shoulders usually takes out the spinal cord.  Have never had one not die in one shot.  I would not do it if otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

High shot through shoulders usually takes out the spinal cord.  Have never had one not die in one shot.  I would not do it if otherwise.

This.  I basically do a derivative of this, but to save as much shoulder meat as possible, aim a little higher and further up with the express intent of neutralizing their entire nervous system.  After having a giant buck run and die right in the middle of the biggest goddamn pear patch imaginable.....I changed up my shot placement.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

My granddad used to have a place right there.  Partially in Frio and partially in Zavala.  Ranch is called Todos Santos.  90 percent of the ranch is in Frio County.  Our south fence was shared with Mary Nan West, who I think had around 40,000 acres.

Todos Santos is a cool place. I'm 10 minutes from the western edge of their fence.

Since I started hunting in South Texas last year, I've moved to the high shoulder shot location. Executed properly, the deer drop where they stand. It only takes one time tracking a deer through the thick brush that you decide to change shot locations. I like shoulder roasts, but I prefer not sticking my body with a thousand thorns more.

• Hook 'Em 1

Obviously hunting migratory such as dove over bait like corn or seed is not permitted, but how far away are you supposed to be from that "bait"?

Example: Sitting near a fence line & there is a neighbor's feeder tossing out corn 75, maybe 100 yards away from you & birds come off of that, fly your direction… when is it legal to shoot on that?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Obviously hunting migratory such as dove over bait like corn or seed is not permitted, but how far away are you supposed to be from that "bait"?

Example: Sitting near a fence line & there is a neighbor's feeder tossing out corn 75, maybe 100 yards away from you & birds come off of that, fly your direction… when is it legal to shoot on that?

There is no clear answer to the question posed.  TPWD offers no definitive answer with an actual distance to observe.   

The best practice would be to stay at least 100 yards away and not in the direct path of dove coming to deer corn feeder or just avoid corn (or bird) feeders altogether.

Of course, since their is no clear rule regarding distance but their is a definitive rule regarding hunting over placed bait the whole affair will be left up to the GW’s discretion.  

I would not hunt in an area where you can see an active deer feeder.  In fact, I got off a lease where the landowner allowed deer hunters to start feeders during dove season.  I understand, as noted above, if you hunt an area in which dove are traveling to a bait, you are in violation.

17 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

A feeder and fence line are always problematic between hunting neighbors.  Were it me, I'm not camping out on the fence line to indemnify me from any accusations of "camping out".  Nor do I want any birds taken in flight to land on the wrong side.  Any in the air that fly over are fair game.  

23 hours ago, jkates said:

This afternoon I'm taking my son (10 yrs old) out on his first archery hunt. I guess it's my first archery hunt also. I did not hunt much growing up and have only gun hunted as an adult. We've got a ground blind brushed in near the intersection of 2 game trails at a corner of our largest food plot. We had a game camera malfunction near it, so I'm not certain what we will see, if anything. I'm amped. I hope something walks out and that he can get a shot. I wonder how much he's learning in school today...

No blood last night, but a great time on the road and in the woods with my son. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, BayouBill said:

That bottom one is a beautiful 8 point

Yeah.  That guy is shoot on sight where I hunt, and the first one too.  I only saw those two once each on about a month and a half worth of film.  Hopefully they like the scrawny ass doe out here and stick around to get some.

That one in the second shot shows up pretty regularly on the shots, nearly every day. I don't have the eye that some of you guys have to age these, but he is young and light and will get a pass. 

I had zero luck pig hunting this weekend. Fuckers have a 6th sense I guess. I have a shitload of doe that will need to be thinned. Bucks are very elusive, only saw a 10pt and 8pt worth shooting. 

I did have a drunken ride AFTER I sat for 4 hours waiting for the pigs that resulted is a csb. Me and my fil loaded up a big ole yeti of whiskey each and went tearing ass around the ranch in the mule at like 1am. I had a sounder run across in front of me and I ran over two babies. Those fuckers are durable as shit. It sent us bouncing up in the air a foot it felt like but when I turned around I couldn't find them. If they survived, I will be blown away. I hit them at full speed with the tires.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2020 at 7:14 PM, Anastasis said:

Look at this asshole.

STC-2576.jpg

I like to take my suppressed 22lr (subsonics) to the stand when I'm hunting, and have been known to eliminate corn thief's when I'm bored. I've got it dialed in and use my range finder to check my dope. The only real sound it makes is the "thump" when it hits them. Fuckers...Get Off My Corn!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2