Ski Season 2020/2021

PRONG HORN

• 2 weeks later...

I hope none of you are planning big ski trips this year.  Not sure how this whole thing is going to work, but EPIC just announced their plans for the season and it's all going to be done by reservation.  Unless they hold back spots for visitors (don't know if they are or not), the pass holders will eat up the entire allotment in short order for prime days (weekends, holidays, etc).

It's going to be a mess.  IKON hasn't announced yet but I'm guessing they do something similar.

https://www.epicpass.com/info/letter-to-our-pass-holders

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

going to be a mess.

Thanks for the heads up. This really does suck if it doesn't work out. I am not entirely surprised given that we don't have timing on a vaccine but I would think by Spring Break we might and perhaps the resorts open back up more than planned.

53 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK !!!!

Look on the bright side, you can probably come stay in your favorite fake Bavarian village for cheap this winter, but you might not be able to ski.

I'm still waiting to see what IKON does before I renew my pass.  I think this reservation thing is going to be a clusterfuck. 

29 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Look on the bright side, you can probably come stay in your favorite fake Bavarian village for cheap this winter, but you might not be able to ski.

I'm still waiting to see what IKON does before I renew my pass.  I think this reservation thing is going to be a clusterfuck. 

I haven't renewed my EPIC pass yet. I know I'll get about $300 off the price, but not gonna renew if I can't ski.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

I haven't renewed my EPIC pass yet. I know I'll get about $300 off the price, but not gonna renew if I can't ski.

If you get a pass, you can book 7 days when the portal opens Nov 6.  But only 7 until you use them, then you can re-book.  Kinda like Disney FastPasses, but shittier.

I've never skied before but am going to Beaver Creek around Dec 8, is that too early?  What will the snow be like?
Look at the Epic restrictions before you book anything.

Snow will likely be iffy and unlikely that the whole resort will be open that early.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Look at the Epic restrictions before you book anything.

Snow will likely be iffy and unlikely that the whole resort will be open that early.

Thanks, I should add those most in the group are first time skiers so there should at least be something we can try right?

22 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

If you get a pass, you can book 7 days when the portal opens Nov 6.  But only 7 until you use them, then you can re-book.  Kinda like Disney FastPasses, but shittier.

lol i typed up this exact thing then read your post.

we had unused Epic pass from last year as it's always cheaper just to get the pass vs 6 days of lift tickets.

2 hours ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Thanks, I should add those most in the group are first time skiers so there should at least be something we can try right?

Read what I posted above.  Not guaranteed you can get on the mountain.  You probably can during the week, but I wouldn't count on weekends.  I would probably call the resort and ask them how it's going to work.  They might have more info.

This seems like it’s really gonna jam up locals in favor of tourists and other people that reserve all the holidays and weekends. I guess if you’re a local best to stick to weekdays (Which is the case anyways). Kinda fucks up powder chasing for everyone though. 

Yesterday I spent some time time trying to figure out what ikon is doing. I haven’t seen any clear communications from them yet. 

This seems like it’s really gonna jam up locals in favor of tourists and other people that reserve all the holidays and weekends. I guess if you’re a local best to stick to weekdays (Which is the case anyways). Kinda fucks up powder chasing for everyone though. 

Yesterday I spent some time time trying to figure out what ikon is doing. I haven’t seen any clear communications from them yet. 
You can only reserve if you have a pass. Much more likely to jam up visitors, IMO. Everyone is gonna get screwed, though.

33 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You can only reserve if you have a pass. Much more likely to jam up visitors, IMO. Everyone is gonna get screwed, though.

yea, I hear you there. I wonder how much this will impact all the short term rental condos in those vacation markets. If it shakes out some weak hands I might be a buyer of real estate prices dip a fair bit. 

yea, I hear you there. I wonder how much this will impact all the short term rental condos in those vacation markets. If it shakes out some weak hands I might be a buyer of real estate prices dip a fair bit. 
Mountain real estate is going crazy. I think it will shake out in a year or two, but right now is nuts. Up probably 20% in the past year in my area.
  • Like 1

So is this reservation system going to push people to the non reserved mountains? There was a complete CF last March as people ran to open mountains when some closed before the official mandate.
There are no non reserved mountains in the Epic portfolio. We have not heard from Ikon yet.

I seriously doubt they are going to jam up the tourists during those holidays. They will likely hold a large percentage of day passes for the tourists. I'm not worried.

I seriously doubt they are going to jam up the tourists during those holidays. They will likely hold a large percentage of day passes for the tourists. I'm not worried.
Everyone is getting jammed up. That's the point. Especially during peak times.

7 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Our peaks just got dusted...fall is here.

this may be the year I take an avalanche course and do backcountry. A buddy just bought a cabin 40 minutes from town with epic backcountry access.

Sometime after your "avalanche expert" class, a lodge vaca using one of their guides is a good way to learn. 

---------->       Here is our list of Backcountry Lodge adventure options:

Nothing official yet, but it sounds like Vail Resorts is going to guarantee you days on the mountain if you stay in properties they own. If you stay in AirBnB or VRBO, you might be on your own for reservations.

Nothing official yet, but it sounds like Vail Resorts is going to guarantee you days on the mountain if you stay in properties they own. If you stay in AirBnB or VRBO, you might be on your own for reservations.

Vail is gonna Vail. Big time price discrimination move. Stock up almost double from 52 week lows and trending towards normal. My family has done 4 epic passes 4 years in a row, but wow, hanging hats on their premium properties in light of Covid uncertainties is tough.
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 9:47 PM, Johnny Chimpo said:

We've been to Park City the last 2 years (week btw Christmas and New Years).  I noticed the condo rates in the Main St area where we stay, near  the Town Lift have gone up tremendously.  We paid $2400 last year and this year they are almost double.  What they are doing, from what i can tell, is you cannot check in the same day someone else is checking out.  So to compensate I suppose for the lost day, they have raised the rates.  We like to stay at Park Station, and i could only find one unit comparable to last years rate.  Of course Ms JDHORN smartly told me to hold off b/c of the limited tickets they will be selling, otherwise i would have pulled the trigger. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We already booked a week at a VRBO in Summit County during Xmas/NYD before the reservations announcement was made. At this point, I plan to just buy Epic passes and then cross my fingers we can reserve all those prime holiday dates when the system opens to reservations in November.

We already booked a week at a VRBO in Summit County during Xmas/NYD before the reservations announcement was made. At this point, I plan to just buy Epic passes and then cross my fingers we can reserve all those prime holiday dates when the system opens to reservations in November.
Be ready to book the moment the system opens up.

That's the plan. I wonder if that happens right at midnight?  I bet they don't disclose the time and I spend the whole damn night hitting refresh on their site. 

And mother F'er. Almost as soon as I paid for my passes, I got a $150 promo code for last season's credit.  Now I can't reach anyone to have it applied b/c their call center is apparently closed.  Sent an email to comments@vailresorts.com, but what are the odds of that not just floating off into the abyss? Slim to none. 

On 9/10/2020 at 12:47 PM, Bob Lives! said:

That's the plan. I wonder if that happens right at midnight?  I bet they don't disclose the time and I spend the whole damn night hitting refresh on their site. 

And mother F'er. Almost as soon as I paid for my passes, I got a $150 promo code for last season's credit.  Now I can't reach anyone to have it applied b/c their call center is apparently closed.  Sent an email to comments@vailresorts.com, but what are the odds of that not just floating off into the abyss? Slim to none. 

Same, we used the credit from last year to get the passes again this year and will try to book spring break.

Booked 5 tickets on United from DFW to Denver, leaving Jan 4 and returning Jan 9, for $77 per ticket round trip.  Yes, $77 per ticket round trip.   Now time to find a mountain to ski and a place to stay!!!  First trip where both the kids are in college and we don't have to be in school right after the new year. 

Edited by bobcat1995
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, bobcat1995 said:

Booked 5 tickets on United from DFW to Denver, leaving Jan 4 and returning Jan 9, for $77 per ticket round trip.  Yes, $77 per ticket round trip.   Now time to find a mountain to ski and a place to stay!!!  First trip where both the kids are in college and we don't have to be in school right after the new year. 

I missed that ticket by mere minutes.

I haven’t followed this very closely. Suppose I only want to take one ski trip this year and ski 3 days. Is there a good place I can do that without buying a full Epic or Ikon pass?

If I had my choice I would be interested in Big Sky or Telluride, but willing to consider other options.

Anyone have specific recs for somewhere “between” Breck and Keystone for the holidays e.g, Frisco and Silverthorne? This year im looking to host a big place for extended family of skiers and non skiers, kids to grand parents.

We’ve always stayed in town and / or on bus loop. But this year looking for covid outskirt option. Nothing opulent, but big rustic 5-7 bedroom within 30 minutes of Breck or keystone.

Anyone have specific recs for somewhere “between” Breck and Keystone for the holidays e.g, Frisco and Silverthorne? This year im looking to host a big place for extended family of skiers and non skiers, kids to grand parents.

We’ve always stayed in town and / or on bus loop. But this year looking for covid outskirt option. Nothing opulent, but big rustic 5-7 bedroom within 30 minutes of Breck or keystone.

Edit - typically just done small family place in town, this year seeking total change to big place in the sticks...linked cabins / lodge / main house with bunkhouse, etc.

On 9/15/2020 at 1:35 PM, Chewbacca said:

Ikon released their COVID plans and they are quite a bit different than EPIC.  No reservations (except at A-Basin), but they won't be selling single day tickets or 4 packs, either.  They want you to buy a pass to come skiing this year.

I think it gonna take some monster storms for me to break the seal on my pass and not defer to 2021.  That or a vaccine.

I haven’t followed this very closely. Suppose I only want to take one ski trip this year and ski 3 days. Is there a good place I can do that without buying a full Epic or Ikon pass?

If I had my choice I would be interested in Big Sky or Telluride, but willing to consider other options.
That's gonna be tough at Ikon resorts this year. Supposedly Epic is going to reserve single day reservations if you stay in one of their properties (i.e., no VRBO), but nothing is official yet.

I think it gonna take some monster storms for me to break the seal on my pass and not defer to 2021.  That or a vaccine.
I can't decide what I'm going to do. Thinking of buying my own set of cross country gear and doing that. But still have to figure out the Comp Center shit for the boy.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
6 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

I can't decide what I'm going to do. Thinking of buying my own set of cross country gear and doing that. But still have to figure out the Comp Center shit for the boy.

I’ll probably buy a surfboard.  It’s been a minute.  Hopefully it’s like riding a bike.  /drowns