Ski Season 2020/2021

PRONG HORN

I am a couple hours from some of the best skiing in Europe but right now shit is borked. Germany and Italy are keeping the resorts closed for now.  Austria is opening theirs, but if you aren't local, you aren't allowed overnight accommodation and you would have to go into a 10-day self-isolation anyway.  Restaurants and bars on the slopes are closed, too.  Probably the responsible thing to do because the initial outbreak in the winter really caught on fire at some of the Northern Italian resorts. But it sucks that even an outdoor activity is off the table.

Best places in New Mexico?

Have some time off between xmas and new years and am thinking of dragging the family somewhere. I can ski anything but the boys are green with the occasional blue. 

Staying in Taos and hitting Taos and angel fire seems like the best bet based on reading old threads.

35 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Have some time off between xmas and new years and am thinking of dragging the family somewhere. I can ski anything but the boys are green with the occasional blue. 

Staying in Taos and hitting Taos and angel fire seems like the best bet based on reading old threads.

That's the best 2, and they're so fickle with snow.  Their bad years are really bad, good years are epic apparently.  That seems like a risky time to be betting on that regions snow fall (typically only about 50-60% of slopes are open in to late Jan.)  Lots of north facing slopes so that's good though for keeping it in place once it falls.   Snow covering rocks cover could be pretty skimpy in late Dec. blue green slopes being lower in altitude, can see lots of slushy to bare runs. Don't know much about their snow making abilities.

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

@blacklab I love Taos, but last I checked New Mexico has a mandatory quarantine for out of staters that is strictly enforced.

Somebody tell me about Park City.  Where to stay? I want to be where the action is (restaurants, bars, etc.)  Is that in Old Town or Park City Mountain? I'm retired from skiing but my family isn't.  I need a place to park my ass, drink beer and look at snow bunnies while they're killing themselves on the mountain.

Family has requested ski in/ski out.  

Edited by Lat22

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Somebody tell me about Park City.  Where to stay? I want to be where the action is (restaurants, bars, etc.)  Is that in Old Town or Park City Mountain? I'm retired from skiing but my family isn't.  I need a place to park my ass, drink beer and look at snow bunnies while they're killing themselves on the mountain.

Family has requested ski in/ski out.  

Main street, historic district is where the action is but I don't think you can see snow bunnies actually skiing from there

I don't know how much "action" you'll see in Utah during a pandemic

On 12/24/2020 at 2:00 PM, ousuxndallas said:

Stay at base of PCMR, or in downtown PC and ride the Town Lift. Walk to all bars and restaurants at night.

I for one will enjoy a COVID ski season. Keep the riff raff away, so hopefully no lift lines. Eat lunch on the mountain and dinner at the condo/house. Works for me.

I can't talk for Utah, but the riff raff is skiing in CO.  Lift lines are the same as always, just more spaced out.

Finally said fuck it and went up today. They have made enough snow to make it passable, at least half or so of the groomed trails. a little icy in spots because it was like 38 degrees. 

for anyone looking for non-quarantine ski areas, this one is an hourish south of Billings.  Could stay in Billings or maybe find something in red lodge. Also an hour from Cody. 

994D8CC4-2FA9-495E-BB28-B8949C0125D6.jpeg

image.jpg

I did Breck the week before Xmas. Weird experience. Don’t understand the reservation system because it’s hard to believe they throttled demand given the long lift lines and full parking lots. Employees everywhere were quick to call out anyone not fully mouth/nose masked. You could choose to not share a lift with randoms. Almost no indoor mountain dining options which is good. As long as you spaced out in line, it felt safe.

6 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

I did Breck the week before Xmas. Weird experience. Don’t understand the reservation system because it’s hard to believe they throttled demand given the long lift lines and full parking lots. Employees everywhere were quick to call out anyone not fully mouth/nose masked. You could choose to not share a lift with randoms. Almost no indoor mountain dining options which is good. As long as you spaced out in line, it felt safe.

Precisely why we're headed to Utah tomorrow. 

Just returned from a week in Steamboat (skied for 3 days).  We got lucky and the mountain received about 6 inches of snow on the night/day of our first day of skiing.  No snow for the rest of the trip and things were getting icy by the last day.  I will say the lift lines were short and on our last ski day (Thursday) they were no lift lines.  25% occupancy at restaurants and you had to wear a mask at all times at the base of the mountain.  Had no trouble parking or walking through the shops in downtown Steamboat.  We did eat two dinners in town and needed to make reservations just to ensure we had a space to sit and eat (party of 6).  

Recommend "Steamboat Snowmobile" - they are top of Rabbit Ears Pass.

Recommend "Del's Triangle 3 Ranch" for horseback rides.    

My 3 kids (19, 14, 12) have a weird timing spring break being the 3rd week of Feb, but it makes it easy on going some place that isn't crowded with the typical spring break crowds. They all want to go skiing so I'm looking at going to Angel Fire. It was the first place that I ever skied and remembering it being pretty easy, as I was taught by high school girlfriend's dad at the time so must not be that hard. 2 want to snowboard, which I never have and 1 wants to ski. Wife wants to ski also. Not sure which way I want to go, the old reliable ski or try out snowboarding. This would all depend on if I want to take a lesson or not for boarding.

Has anyone gone to Angel Fire recently? Looks like everything is take out or outdoor eating, but the place I'm looking at has a full kitchen so we can eat at the condo with no problem. They suggest reservations for lift tickets and lessons but by looking at their online site, there aren't any days that show to be sold out from now till then so they must not have that much demand. 

Checked out the snow report and the amount of trails open percentage wise is better than Red Rivet or Taos, except no blacks. Which is fine because I'm too old and bad knees for that crap anymore.
Speaking of being old. When did every single person start wearing a helmet? Back in the 90's when I was skiing regularly, the only ones wearing helmets where back country skiers or snowboarders on the half pipes.
Do they automatically come with rentals to reduce liability or something?

3 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

When did every single person start wearing a helmet?

When we realized brain damage was no bueno. You usually have to separately rent a helmet. They’re not cheap to rent vs their upfront cost, so if you are skiing more than once you may want to purchase on sale.

Either way it’s a lot cheaper than a nursing home with Nurse Betty wiping your crap smeared ass because you can’t move your limbs or have enough cognition to realize you pooped yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Snow looks rather shit but oh well, I’m happy to ski a little.

Just got done with Copper Mountain. Same observation and sentiment. 10k feet and views of the Rockies were a great break from this Covid mess. But the resorts will have to start closing trails soon if they don’t get some significant snow in the next few days. It was ice and crunchy when it wasn’t dirty or grass popping through.

Okay, looks like snow conditions in Angel Fire the 3rd week of Feb may still be shit. I'm really not concerned that half the mountain may be closed as it will be the kids first time, so they won't know any difference and will probably stay on greens anyways.
Here's my dilemma. A friend that takes his kids snowboarding says that it's harder to snowboard on hard packed snow/oce than ski. His kid on Christmas day caught an edge on icy patch and it slammed him onto that hard pack and he broke his wrist. So, it is better to just have them learn to ski this trip if conditions stay the same or will boarding be okay for the to pick up and enjoy?

34 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Okay, looks like snow conditions in Angel Fire the 3rd week of Feb may still be shit. I'm really not concerned that half the mountain may be closed as it will be the kids first time, so they won't know any difference and will probably stay on greens anyways.
Here's my dilemma. A friend that takes his kids snowboarding says that it's harder to snowboard on hard packed snow/oce than ski. His kid on Christmas day caught an edge on icy patch and it slammed him onto that hard pack and he broke his wrist. So, it is better to just have them learn to ski this trip if conditions stay the same or will boarding be okay for the to pick up and enjoy?

Harder to learn to ski, less injuries....

Easier to learn to snow board, more injuries....  especially on anything hard packed or icy.  Catching an edge on a board is much more dangerous.

I made a deal with the kids when they were young, master the skis then try snowboarding....  Neither has ever boarded, and they're both pretty balsy skiers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Bro, no offense, but you’re asking about wearing a helmet (ask Sonny Bono how it worked for him) and now your buddy’s son breaks his wrist boarding.
Do you wear your seatbelt when in a car? (Don’t answer, I think I can guess) 
 Anyway, for future reference, Burton makes great wrist guards (that fit under Hestra gloves) for $25MSRP.  I got mine at Sun&Ski for $20.  

Bro, no offense, but you’re asking about wearing a helmet (ask Sonny Bono how it worked for him) and now your buddy’s son breaks his wrist boarding.
 Anyway, for future reference, Burton makes great wrist guards (that fit under Hestra gloves) for $25MSRP.  I got mine at Sun&Ski for $20.  
Tiny humblebrag by mentioning Hestra gloves.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
12 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Tiny humblebrag by mentioning Hestra gloves.

My apologies! Not trying to brag. I had some extra cash. Made the investment and have been very grateful ever since.  They are amazing. I said “goodbye” to liners right afterwards. 

If any of you get a chance- Take the plunge.

My apologies! Not trying to brag. I had some extra cash. Made the investment and have been very grateful ever since.  They are amazing. I said “goodbye” to liners right afterwards. 
They make great gloves. Just giving you shit. I have a pair, too.
  • Like 1

Bro, all I said about helmets was when skiing in the 90s hardly nobody wore them but now everyone does. Never said I was against them.
Since I've never snowboarded I don't know what conditions are best for safety and to learn on. Thanks for the tip on wrist guards, bro.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Bro, all I said about helmets was when skiing in the 90s hardly nobody wore them but now everyone does. Never said I was against them.
Since I've never snowboarded I don't know what conditions are best for safety and to learn on. Thanks for the tip on wrist guards, bro.

You got it, Broski. (SWIDT? 😉)

At any rate, for me the best conditions in which I learned to board were a) with an Instructor (cannot stress this enough)

For me it was last Dec in CB after a 10” dumping the two days before- so there was a solid base and nice groomed runs. As it got later in the day (and as my legs were SHOT), there were SOME icy patches in the shaded spots.  Those sucked. 
What I learned is that while I really do not like skiing in “fresh snow” (too mushy), I did prefer it more than I did a packed snow or ice when I was trying to learn to board. The mushiness was better at “softening the impact” when I bit it! 
I hope you get to go and have a blast!

• Like 1

Went up into the attic and pulled down my ski bag that has my old equipment in it (minus skis as I sold those). I use to work for Sun and Ski sports '94-'96, so I accumulated some good ski stuff. Sold a bunch of it once I moved back to Texas and left the ski industry.
First thing I saw was the last lift ticket was for Breckinridge in 1996.
Ski pants - no way those are going to fit, which is a shame because they were badass pants
Bibs - might actually work
Spider Jacket - a little tight but I'm on a diet to lose at least 15 pounds over the next 4 weeks before going...so hopeful
2 pairs of Oakley goggles- almost disintegrated in my hands
Gloves - still a perfect fit
Ski boots - didn't try them on. Will probably just use the rentals as I'm not sure I trust these to hold up.
2 sets of ski poles - still looking good.
Wife also had a bunch of miscellaneous clothing items in there that will still fit her or one of the girls.

On 1/16/2021 at 7:06 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 1/16/2021 at 6:48 PM, NTVTXN said:

They make great gloves. Just giving you shit. I have a pair, too.

Love my lobster claws

• Hook 'Em 1