Ski Season 2020/2021

PRONG HORN

On 4/23/2021 at 7:52 PM, Axle Hongsnort said:

taking a hard look at winter park next weekend for some final runs. i see they just got dumped on and the apps show promising late spring conditions...anyone have first hand knowledge ?

I haven't been up for a few weeks, so not sure on conditions.  It's been snowing regularly, though.  I think the WP side of the mountain is closed for the season.  Only Mary Jane is still open.

Just checked OpenSnow and they are supposed to get a foot of snow tomorrow.

Edited by Chewbacca

I haven't been up for a few weeks, so not sure on conditions.  It's been snowing regularly, though.  I think the WP side of the mountain is closed for the season.  Only Mary Jane is still open.

Just checked OpenSnow and they are supposed to get a foot of snow tomorrow.

yeah, a couple of us vaxxed ones flying up friday for final runs. only MJ side open as of yesterday. but i’ll take it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Jumping from day 1: We finished up with 9 days of skiing the northeast corridor, chasing snow south (Sugar loaf, Saddleback, Sugarbush, Jay Peak, Sunday River, and finally Killington)  We got 9 days of skiing in mostly good, soft snow with bluebird skies 6 out of the 9 days. We found some great tree glades at most places, and had a blast doing the tailgate living thing at the ski report parking lots.  I didn't think I was gonna get a single day on the hill this season.

Found a couple hot tub poaching opportunities along the way as well. Met an old dude, Erv at some way out of the way steak place in Maine, the Trails End (and it was).  We got to talking, and were headed out to grab a smoke, he says come with me. Goes in his truck, and hauls out a gallon bag of weed, and sticks a hand full in our hands, and says try this, I grow it up here.

Cover started getting thin as we worked into southern Vermont, but were rewarded with 16-18" of some really great powder at Killington our last 2 days.  We found some great tree runs with 20" stashes of powder, and big, soft bumps everywhere.  All the closed runs had fresh untracked stuff both days, and we took full advantage of rope ducking.

I've always been kinda snobbish about skiing here in the east, but we found great runs at just about every resort we hit, steep bumps, trees, some great long bumped up blues, and blacks.  Most places had about 2,500' of fall, not huge, but we had a blast.  Already making plans for a February, and an early spring run next season.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jumping from day 1: We finished up with 9 days of skiing the northeast corridor, chasing snow south (Sugar loaf, Saddleback, Sugarbush, Jay Peak, Sunday River, and finally Killington)  We got 9 days of skiing in mostly good, soft snow with bluebird skies 6 out of the 9 days. We found some great tree glades at most places, and had a blast doing the tailgate living thing at the ski report parking lots.  I didn't think I was gonna get a single day on the hill this season.
Found a couple hot tub poaching opportunities along the way as well. Met an old dude, Erv at some way out of the way steak place in Maine, the Trails End (and it was).  We got to talking, and were headed out to grab a smoke, he says come with me. Goes in his truck, and hauls out a gallon bag of weed, and sticks a hand full in our hands, and says try this, I grow it up here.
Cover started getting thin as we worked into southern Vermont, but were rewarded with 16-18" of some really great powder at Killington our last 2 days.  We found some great tree runs with 20" stashes of powder, and big, soft bumps everywhere.  All the closed runs had fresh untracked stuff both days, and we took full advantage of rope ducking.
I've always been kinda snobbish about skiing here in the east, but we found great runs at just about every resort we hit, steep bumps, trees, some great long bumped up blues, and blacks.  Most places had about 2,500' of fall, not huge, but we had a blast.  Already making plans for a February, and an early spring run next season.

i grew up skiing in vermont. both parents went to school there. my dads band used to play at the red barn by stowe which is still there. if you hit the right snow then killington is awesome, otherwise you learn the gnarly skill of ice skiing which makes you better one way or another.

7 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

i grew up skiing in vermont. both parents went to school there. my dads band used to play at the red barn by stowe which is still there. if you hit the right snow then killington is awesome, otherwise you learn the gnarly skill of ice skiing which makes you better one way or another.

Yep, I grew up skiing hills in Va. if you can ski the ice on the east coast, you can ski anywhere.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Born to Run said:

My son and I are looking to go big this Christmas and take about 10 days off. One of you guys talked up the value in choosing Europe and Italy specifically. Any recommendations on that?

If You have the funds for a 10 day trip in general don't limit yourself to a specific country just because it might be a little cheaper.  If you're doing ten days in Europe pick the spot you want or wait until you have the funds to pick the one you want.  Don't pop your cherry with a bargain trip especially if you're investing ten days.  

On 9/25/2021 at 11:46 AM, Born to Run said:

My son and I are looking to go big this Christmas and take about 10 days off. One of you guys talked up the value in choosing Europe and Italy specifically. Any recommendations on that?

So I can help.  If I were you I would base myself somewhere in the Chamonix Valley or in Courmayeur.  We stayed in Argentina one year and skied Les Grand Montets (excellent!), Vallorcine/La Tour, St. Gervais Les Bains and Courmayeur (Italy) all on one ticket.  Fantastic.  Another year we stayed in Courmayeur and skied primarily in Italy at Courmayeur, La Thuile and Pila.  That year we also went through the tunnel to Chamonix.  Great great areas. 

Any Colorado or New Mexico places that aren’t full on resort type places, that would likely have good snow the last week of December?
don’t want to pay for a resort experience I won’t use and don’t need. 

The last week of December is the busiest ski weekend of the year. I would pick another time. That week is a shitshow everywhere.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:
Any Colorado or New Mexico places that aren’t full on resort type places, that would likely have good snow the last week of December?
don’t want to pay for a resort experience I won’t use and don’t need. 

The last week of December is the busiest ski weekend of the year. I would pick another time. That week is a shitshow everywhere.

That’s the company shutdown so I’m off without using PTO. Plus it gets us out of Christmas obligations. 

PS Big sky is looking for instructors so if any of you can spare a month or more  in Montana I can pass your info along. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s the company shutdown so I’m off without using PTO. Plus it gets us out of Christmas obligations. 

PS Big sky is looking for instructors so if any of you can spare a month or more  in Montana I can pass your info along. 

Have fun.  That is the one week of the year I refuse to ski.  It's just a fucking mess at every turn - skiing, restaurants, all of it.  I won't even go up there that week.  We go up before Christmas, do Christmas up there and then come back down until NYE.  Then we go back up.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I can help.  If I were you I would base myself somewhere in the Chamonix Valley or in Courmayeur.  We stayed in Argentina one year and skied Les Grand Montets (excellent!), Vallorcine/La Tour, St. Gervais Les Bains and Courmayeur (Italy) all on one ticket.  Fantastic.  Another year we stayed in Courmayeur and skied primarily in Italy at Courmayeur, La Thuile and Pila.  That year we also went through the tunnel to Chamonix.  Great great areas. 
That's a great starting point. Thank you. I'll dig into it and probably hit you up with more informed questions.
  • Like 1

Is it just better at smaller resorts? Spring Break or President's weekend suck too at bigger places , so we typically hit smaller places like Wolf Creek, Santa Fe, Monarch, Homewood. It's amateur hour so the upper mountain areas and anything not a groomed blue or green are pretty empty. Often find fresh tracks 2 days after a dump or longer. Restaurants suck so we pack a lunch, piss in the woods and go back to a decent pad with a hot tub and get some take out. I go with my kid so it's always going to be high season. Haven't done Xmas at a big place with him yet in the rockies as we usually surf, but Homewood was fine Heavenly we just got in line early and got way back on the Nevada side until the last run back which gave me an idea of how bad the crowded front side sucked. Are the crowds at Xmas worse than those other weekends?

A friend just bought a condo in Breck and they drive up. I laughed behind his back, fuck those lift lines

If You have the funds for a 10 day trip in general don't limit yourself to a specific country just because it might be a little cheaper.  If you're doing ten days in Europe pick the spot you want or wait until you have the funds to pick the one you want.  Don't pop your cherry with a bargain trip especially if you're investing ten days.  
I get to travel a lot so cost does matter. We found a cheap place in Costa Rica this summer, so cheap we stayed an extra week and I worked 8 hrs a day, the second week then we surfed. He did a summer project and read. I value being gone more than I do accommodations.

I've been all over Europe, so the skiing portion is a bit about value, crowds and quality of snow. I'm a powder guy, not double blacks, mid level tree skiing is my jam. i realize that the states are better for that. My kid is switching to snowboard this is his second trip so he's not riding like he skied just yet but can hit trees and survive a black.

From there it's Europe, we can go wherever . He's done Paris, but not Germany or Italy.

I was hoping for less crowds than the states, is that realistic?

I know I'm paying more on flights, is the rest similar cost?
How challenging are accomodations..

18 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Texans like to go fast down blues. In Scotch Guarded jeans and hunting gear

I guess you don’t know my skiing history from my posting history. That’s not us at all. 

unless you are saying that’s why I shouldn’t go when the Texans are on mountain. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

11 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Is it just better at smaller resorts? Spring Break or President's weekend suck too at bigger places , so we typically hit smaller places like Wolf Creek, Santa Fe, Monarch, Homewood. It's amateur hour so the upper mountain areas and anything not a groomed blue or green are pretty empty. Often find fresh tracks 2 days after a dump or longer. Restaurants suck so we pack a lunch, piss in the woods and go back to a decent pad with a hot tub and get some take out. I go with my kid so it's always going to be high season. Haven't done Xmas at a big place with him yet in the rockies as we usually surf, but Homewood was fine Heavenly we just got in line early and got way back on the Nevada side until the last run back which gave me an idea of how bad the crowded front side sucked. Are the crowds at Xmas worse than those other weekends?

A friend just bought a condo in Breck and they drive up. I laughed behind his back, fuck those lift lines

On Saturday, Sunday sure, but the rest of the week, once you're up on the hill lift lines aren't that bad (historically at least).

On 10/1/2021 at 7:29 PM, Born to Run said:

I get to travel a lot so cost does matter. We found a cheap place in Costa Rica this summer, so cheap we stayed an extra week and I worked 8 hrs a day, the second week then we surfed. He did a summer project and read. I value being gone more than I do accommodations.

I've been all over Europe, so the skiing portion is a bit about value, crowds and quality of snow. I'm a powder guy, not double blacks, mid level tree skiing is my jam. i realize that the states are better for that. My kid is switching to snowboard this is his second trip so he's not riding like he skied just yet but can hit trees and survive a black.

From there it's Europe, we can go wherever . He's done Paris, but not Germany or Italy.

I was hoping for less crowds than the states, is that realistic?

I know I'm paying more on flights, is the rest similar cost?
How challenging are accomodations..

If you go over our spring break?  I've been to places like Obergurgl where a two minute lift wait during our spring break was as long as it got.   

If you go over our spring break?  I've been to places like Obergurgl where a two minute lift wait during our spring break was as long as it got.   
I'm looking at Christmas/ NYE. Overall point was how crowded will Europe be at that time compared to the states. I have a bit of time so I can and would dodge peak days. We usually fly on Xmas day for relief on crowds.

Tapa is all chopped and screwed tonight....

12 hours ago, Born to Run said:

I'm looking at Christmas/ NYE. Overall point was how crowded will Europe be at that time compared to the states. I have a bit of time so I can and would dodge peak days. We usually fly on Xmas day for relief on crowds.

Tapa is all chopped and screwed tonight....

It's high season for them, too.  That said, I don't know that Europeans are as crazy about all getting together again like we are.  I can recommend hotels in Courmayeur, Argentiere (Chamonix Valley), in Chamonix, Obergurgl and Selva (Val Gardena) and Montgenevre.  Your best bet for early season snow will be resorts with a higher base (a higher base in Europe is like 1800m).  Most resorts have big verticals so you can get up high easily.  Case in point... the base at Argentiere is ~1250m but when you take the two cable cars to the top (assuming they've fixed the second cable car), you get to over 3,000m and glaciers.  Obergurgl has a base of 1900m and Solden, down the road, has a lower base but a big vertical that takes you up to two glaciers.  Solden hosts the first World Cup race in October.  The town lacks a bit of charm but its a big resort and you can pair a lift ticket with Obergurgl (you can also drive to Kuhtai further down the valley and it sits up at something like 2000m).  I've heard great things about Obertauern but have never skied it.  

My aging father has requested a trip to Taos to relive our younger family days, and see all his grandchildren experience his favorite place on Earth. We always stayed at the Rio Hondo Condos growing up so we will likely do that again for nostalgia purposes, and it's good for our family size of 8 adults and 6 kids. Likely going MLK wkd, which isn't ideal, but hoping not the worst time.

My concern is that my Dad obviously can't see the slopes from those condos. On top of that he has pretty limited mobility. He needs his walker or scooter to get around. I haven't been in 25 years. I'm wondering if there's a restaurant or lounge that is handicap accessible where he could set up shop and see the bottom of the slopes. Any thoughts?

10 hours ago, Spoosner said:

My aging father has requested a trip to Taos to relive our younger family days, and see all his grandchildren experience his favorite place on Earth. We always stayed at the Rio Hondo Condos growing up so we will likely do that again for nostalgia purposes, and it's good for our family size of 8 adults and 6 kids. Likely going MLK wkd, which isn't ideal, but hoping not the worst time.

My concern is that my Dad obviously can't see the slopes from those condos. On top of that he has pretty limited mobility. He needs his walker or scooter to get around. I haven't been in 25 years. I'm wondering if there's a restaurant or lounge that is handicap accessible where he could set up shop and see the bottom of the slopes. Any thoughts?

The base area at Taos was recently remodeled when they built the new Blake Hotel.  So now you have heated pavement with adirondike chairs and fire pits where he could setup.  Rhoda’s restaurant is also at the base with some inside views as well as an outside patio seating as well.  Since you haven’t been in 25 years and  I understand your nostalgia for rio Hondos but the better handicap hotels with better locations you have about 4 good options based upon your description and really this applies to anyone wanting to be close to slopes in Taos....The Blake Hotel which is the newest and nicest hotel at the base with good views to slopes  but it is pricey.  Taos renovated the base area with heated pavers so handicap friendlier than 25 years ago for sure.The Edelweiss Condos are also slopeside to beginner area (strawberry hill) also very nice and pricey.  The best location on the mountain is the St. Bernard but it is older with many stairways so not sure it is handicap friendly and I think you have to book a week as they don’t accommodate less days for your stay.  Last  but not least choice would be Snakedance Condos- closest to slopes (30 yards from lift 1) and in my opinion the best value and location in Taos.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Tentatively booked at the base at Crested Butte for next year - never been.  Looking forward to checking out some new slopes.  Its a resort I would always mentally skip for no logical reason other than it was far from Denver airport.  Now that I'm willing to drive, its more accessible to me.  Would love some tips...

I was in CB a few weeks ago for my 2nd annual fly fishing trip there.  Same as you I have always skipped it for skiing for whatever reason but it is on my short list....so, I cant help you with any ski tips but I can suggest some good places to eat.  Pro Tip - make reservations in advance for Elk Ave Prime in town of CB - damn good eats.  Secret Stash pizza is solid too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks!  Our lodging looks OK... but its walking distance to the lifts so that makes me happy and I've heard its easy to catch a shuttle into town (unless we end up driving there which is likely).  Can't wait... this is the time of year I'm dreaming of snow but the family doesn't dream as hard as I do.

On 10/14/2021 at 2:44 PM, texasdago said:

Tentatively booked at the base at Crested Butte for next year - never been.  Looking forward to checking out some new slopes.  Its a resort I would always mentally skip for no logical reason other than it was far from Denver airport.  Now that I'm willing to drive, its more accessible to me.  Would love some tips...

Crested Butte is a good choice.  Lift lines are minimal most of the time.  

Thanks!  Our lodging looks OK... but its walking distance to the lifts so that makes me happy and I've heard its easy to catch a shuttle into town (unless we end up driving there which is likely).  Can't wait... this is the time of year I'm dreaming of snow but the family doesn't dream as hard as I do.

There is no need to drive. The shuttle is continuous, quick (like 5 minutes) and easy, and parking on both sides sucks. The base area gets sleepy later at night as almost all the “real” bars and restaurants are town. I love CM. Lots of off piste and adventurous stuff.

16 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

There is no need to drive. The shuttle is continuous, quick (like 5 minutes) and easy, and parking on both sides sucks. The base area gets sleepy later at night as almost all the “real” bars and restaurants are town. I love CM. Lots of off piste and adventurous stuff.

I meant if we drive to CB rather than fly.  Not like tickets into Gunnison are cheap.  That said, I like the idea of getting there, parking and just letting the shuttle do the rest.  Anything to do/eat in Gunnison?

• 3 weeks later...

So we are going to pass on Europe this year for Christmas to New Year, my ladyfriend cannot take off as much time as we had planned for.  So I am back to kicking around a ski trip to Canada.  Probably out of Seattle so she has a fairly quick return trip, and the boy and I can stay as long as we want?

Any recommendations?  How bad are the crowds?  Prices and available look fine with a cursory look. Looking for great snow, do not need a giant mountain or night life, and I am fine with small basic resorts like Monarch, Homewood, Wolf Creek, Santa Fe etc.  

Booked Taos in January and Beaver Creek in February. 

I have not skied Taos since I was 12, and it was only for a half day. Am I looking at enough snow coverage in late January to see ~75% of the mountain open? I know it is a La Nina winter, which does not bode well for winters in the southwest, so my expectations are low.

59 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

So we are going to pass on Europe this year for Christmas to New Year, my ladyfriend cannot take off as much time as we had planned for.  So I am back to kicking around a ski trip to Canada.  Probably out of Seattle so she has a fairly quick return trip, and the boy and I can stay as long as we want?

Any recommendations?  How bad are the crowds?  Prices and available look fine with a cursory look. Looking for great snow, do not need a giant mountain or night life, and I am fine with small basic resorts like Monarch, Homewood, Wolf Creek, Santa Fe etc.  

Whistler has always been on my bucket list. They usually get a ton of snow every winter (especially La Nina winters).

Booked Taos in January and Beaver Creek in February. 
I have not skied Taos since I was 12, and it was only for a half day. Am I looking at enough snow coverage in late January to see ~75% of the mountain open? I know it is a La Nina winter, which does not bode well for winters in the southwest, so my expectations are low.
Under normal season weather, you should be good.

Had a chat with my buddy a couple weekends ago. They had opened up Wolf Creek and he is a Paramedic in Pagosa. Had a call to do get an injured skier. Picked up the dude and he had slipped and fallen on an exposed rock. Had a cut through his ass cheek to the anus.

Moral of the story, it never pays off to ski in October to tell people you've skied in October.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, MoJames said:

Had a chat with my buddy a couple weekends ago. They had opened up Wolf Creek and he is a Paramedic in Pagosa. Had a call to do get an injured skier. Picked up the dude and he had slipped and fallen on an exposed rock. Had a cut through his ass cheek to the anus.

Moral of the story, it never pays off to ski in October to tell people you've skied in October.

I don't understand the opening day folks.  I don't want to fuck up my gear, thanks.  I'll wait until mid December before I even think about skiing.

• Hook 'Em 1