Planes, Trains, and Automobiles Remake

MillerEP

This is one of my favorite movies, so I honestly don't know how to feel about this:

https://deadline.com/2020/08/planes-trains-and-automobiles-remake-will-smith-kevin-hart-paramount-john-hughes-john-candy-steve-martin-1203015171/

‘Planes, Trains & Automobiles’ Gets Paramount Pictures Remake With Will Smith & Kevin Hart Starring; Westbook, Hartbeat Produce

Mike Fleming Jr
Co-Editor-in-Chief, Film
August 17, 2020 9:57am

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures has set a remake of the classic John Hughes 1987 road trip comedy Planes, Trains & Automobiles as a star vehicle for Will Smith and Kevin Hart. Hart’s Hartbeat Productions and Smith’s Westbrook Studios will produce. In her feature debut, Aeysha Carr will write the script. Her TV credits include Brooklyn 99 and the upcoming Hulu series Woke.

The original starred Steve Martin and John Candy as a mismatched duo forced to become bunkmates and traveling partners in a desperate attempt to get home to loved ones for Thanksgiving after their flights are canceled. A slew of holiday travel disasters follow, and they mix like water and oil. Hart and Smith produce with Westbrook Studios Co-President and Head of Motion Pictures Jon Mone and Hartbeat’s President of Film and Television Bryan Smiley.

The film seems like an ideal one for a new version from Paramount: it was very funny, but writer/director Hughes made it exceptionally touching considering the high concept road trip premise. He caught two superb physical comic actors at the peak of their powers. 

Carr most recently executive produced the upcoming Hulu series Woke, which premieres in September starring New Girl’s Lamorne Morris and SNL‘s Sasheer Zamata. She wrote episodes and became a supervising producer on Brooklyn 99 and was a writer on Rel, The Carmichael Show, Mixology, Everybody Hates Chris, and My Wife and Kids.

Carr is repped by ICM Partners, 3 Arts Entertainment, and Goodman, Genow; Hart is repped by UTA, 3 Arts and Schreck Rose; Smith is repped by CAA

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I guess we’ll re-make Heat with Melissa McCarthy next.  

maybe The Godfather with Keanu playing Michael Corleone.  

They actually did make a movie called Heat with Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock.  It was actually pretty funny.  

What is the fucking point of fucking with a John Hughes movie?  His premises weren't that original, it was just coming-of-age films and road trip movies and kids in mischief.  Just have Will smith and Kevin Hart do an odd-couple road trip movie.  There's no need to drag a Hughes script into it.  It's fine, we need more African American led comedies, I get it.  Just have them go on the road together and berate each other and get into shenanigans, only to reconcile at the end and become best buds.  It's a fine premise, just don't fuck with Hughes' script in the meantime.  Steve Martin is too polite to say it, but fuck this shit.  It's the greatest Thanksgiving movie ever made.  Just leave it be and go make a buddy laugh flick with Will and Kevin.  That's fine, I'll watch it.  But just leave this script alone. 

And I'll say it...you're doing a disgraceful disservice to the late John Candy.  I don't know who is gonna play him, probably Hart and he's insanely funny to me.  And Will Smith has probably the best acting range of any of the four of them...but John Candy is Del Griffith.  Through and fucking through.  There is a whole other layer to that role and that film that most people don't see and it's because of Candy and Hughes.  Smith and Hart can make a beautiful and laughable film on their own, they have the chops and the humor.  Just leave Del Griffith alone, let him rest, and let us laugh.  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And I'll say it...you're doing a disgraceful disservice to the late John Candy.  I don't know who is gonna play him, probably Hart and he's insanely funny to me.  And Will Smith has probably the best acting range of any of the four of them...but John Candy is Del Griffith.  Through and fucking through.  There is a whole other layer to that role and that film that most people don't see and it's because of Candy and Hughes.  Smith and Hart can make a beautiful and laughable film on their own, they have the chops and the humor.  Just leave Del Griffith alone, let him rest, and let us laugh.  

they'll have to ditch Del altogether.  neither of these guys can play the sincere good guy loser.

Well said, and that's kinda my point (aimed at behold, then I see cheeseweasel upon edits stole my thunder).  There's really no point in accosting the script other than the movie title has cache still.  But it's a complete re-write.  Plus, in this day and age...half the movie isn't plausibly funny because you'd just shake your head wondering why they're using their phone to look up the next flight/hotel/uber/etc.  That rental car scene wouldn't be funny anymore.  How does Will Smith read a novel called "The Canadian Mounted" ?   There's literally no reason to even buy these rights.  Just make your own odd-couple flick and be done with it.  

They literally already tried to remake this movie ten years back with two really funny actors---Zach G. and Robert Downey.  and it mostly sucked.  This will be worse.  Just meander off and write your own funny script and these two guys will nail it.  Leave Del Griffith alone, please.  

Edited by Lobo

Lemme guess, the new plot twist will include one of them losing their phone/laptop & unbeknownst to either they mistakenly pick up an identical one that belongs to a drug cartel kingpin. They spend the rest of the movie trying to escape murderous cartel members while racing home in time for Thanksgiving. And in the end Kevin Hart's husband is dead, not his wife.

See? Totally original AND topical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

5937bafacd98a8df28f829ae0566f690.jpg 

Perfect scene acted out by two great actors. Don't fuck this up, Hollywood. 

And the way Candy rolls his eyes while doing the drinking gesture-- my son and I use this as our inside joke when someone is doing or saying something stupid. DON'T FUCK THIS UP HOLLYWOOD.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Lemme guess, the new plot twist will include one of them losing their phone/laptop & unbeknownst to either they mistakenly pick up an identical one that belongs to a drug cartel kingpin. They spend the rest of the movie trying to escape murderous cartel members while racing home in time for Thanksgiving. And in the end Kevin Hart's husband is dead, not his wife.

See? Totally original AND topical.

Signup  Michael Bay 

16 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Perfect scene acted out by two great actors. Don't fuck this up, Hollywood. 

And the way Candy rolls his eyes while doing the drinking gesture-- my son and I use this as our inside joke when someone is doing or saying something stupid. DON'T FUCK THIS UP HOLLYWOOD.

Dont fuck it up??  The very fact that they thought this was a solid idea Is fucking it up from the jump 

• Like 3

Those are totally fine.  They were all mediocre-to-bad movies to begin with.  Remake them and prop up under-represented actors of color.  Have at it, keep doing 'em. 

But Planes Trains & Automobiles is almost a perfect film.  Del Griffith's arc is special not because he's white, but because John Candy played it perfectly at the perfect point in his career.  Remake Home Alone, Uncle Buck, Weird Science, or Pretty in Pink.  None of those Hughes movies have aged terribly well.  But leave this script alone.  Somebody's gonna ask Steve Martin what he thinks about this and it ain't gonna be pretty.  

You really think "About Last Night" had some kinda artistic integrity that Kevin Hart shouldn't have been able to touch?  That movie was only fun to watch because Demi Moore was so damn hot in it.  But when you're maybe the 8th funniest movie that Jim Belushi made, you're okay for a reboot IMO.  

But grown men keep going to fucking Marvel movies, this is the price we have to pay I guess.  Hollywood fucking with one of the few beautiful films on the 1980's, an otherwise shittastic decade for cinema.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You really think "About Last Night" had some kinda artistic integrity that Kevin Hart shouldn't have been able to touch?  That movie was only fun to watch because Demi Moore was so damn hot in it.  But when you're maybe the 8th funniest movie that Jim Belushi made, you're okay for a reboot IMO.  

But grown men keep going to fucking Marvel movies, this is the price we have to pay I guess.  Hollywood fucking with one of the few beautiful films on the 1980's, an otherwise shittastic decade for cinema.  

Why remake them at all? It's lazy as shit.

And the 80's had some fantastic comedies. Coming to America. Ferris Bueller. The Goonies. Sixteen Candles. Caddy Shack. Fast Times. Beetlejuice.  Fletch. 

How soon we forget...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It was a good decade for comedies, but PTA also has some much damn heart.  

also helps we came of age in a time of such political incorrectness.  You couldn’t make “Airplane” or Fast Times today, let alone get your parents to let you watch it at age eleven. 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It was a good decade for comedies, but PTA also has some much damn heart.  

also helps we came of age in a time of such political incorrectness.  You couldn’t make “Airplane” or Fast Times today, let alone get your parents to let you watch it at age eleven. 

It also helps that our country wasn’t full of a bunch of pussies and we knew how to take uncomfortable comedy 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Why remake them at all? It's lazy as shit.

And the 80's had some fantastic comedies. Coming to America. Ferris Bueller. The Goonies. Sixteen Candles. Caddy Shack. Fast Times. Beetlejuice.  Fletch. 

How soon we forget...

Because Hollywood a business and people don't buy tickets to original movies anymore. 3 of the 25 highest grossing movies in domestic box office last year weren't sequels, remakes, or based on some sort of existing IP.

I don't care about the fact of the remake. Hollywood will always shit the bed with remakes and occasionally hit a home run.

Will Smith and Kevin Hart are funny, but I don't care about them enough to pay for this movie. Even if we buy into the premise that there need to be more movies with minority leads, we need way more movies with Hispanic and Asian leads than AA. Why not cast John Cho and Fluffy?

The writer has some solid credits and is probably the only good thing in the press release.

Smith and Hart are simply miles behind Martin and Candy.

No amount of writing can close the actor talent gap from the original. It's a similar problem to what the all girl Ghostbusters had. The on screen talent is too much of a decline from the original.

• Hook 'Em 1

The idea above of John Cho and Fluffy is way more compelling.

Maybe not those two guys specifically but maybe a more closed off Asian guy in Steve Martin's role and a Hispanic guy in Candy's role. Maybe that funny guy that steals the scene he is always in from the Ant-Man movies.

I think there is way more material to play around with in the Asian/Hispanic dynamic of trying to get to their families. Both cultures can be very family centered while still being very different, and I think there could be material in there to be funny and touching like in Hughes' original.

Smith and Hart are both just over the top cartoon characters in comedies and it'll just be zany hijinks with no depth.

• Hook 'Em 1