Alabama’s resume over the decade

Longboard Horn

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm a Spurs fan ese.

Just think that the 94 and 95 title asterisks are some of the lamest out there. Unless you really beleive that the Bulls were capable of winning 8 straight NBA championships in the 90s.

Um...

3 hours ago, futureman said:

well, of course.  michael jordan is indisputably the greatest basketball player in the history of the world.  he’d have won 10 straight if he cared enough to do it. 

See, futureman isn’t always sarcastic.  

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Saw this posted in the college football smash talk group over on Facebook earlier today and thought it would be something interesting to discuss. 

“2009: Needed to injure Colt McCoy to beat Texas

GDGD injured Colt McCoy

10 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Saw this posted in the college football smash talk group over on Facebook earlier today and thought it would be something interesting to discuss. 

“2009: Needed to injure Colt McCoy to beat Texas 

2010: Blew a 24-0 lead to Scam Newton 

2011: Needed the BCS to save them after they failed to win their own division

2012: Needed Ohio State to be on a postseason ban to make the title game 

2013: Kick Six choke plus a loss to Chokelahoma in the Sugar Bowl 

2014: Lost to a 3rd string QB with a single digit IQ in the CFP

2015: Needed a gimmick onside kick to beat Clemson 

2016: “Greatest defense ever” chokes against Clemson in the National Championship  

2017: Needed ESPN bias to make the CFP and a Georgia choke job to win the National Championship 

2018: “Greatest team ever” needs another Georgia choke job to win the SEC, then lose 44-16 to a true freshman QB in the National Championship 

2019: Face two quality opponents and lose to both of them 

Dominant? Dynasty?

Lol NOPE!

Roll Fraud!”

Discuss amongst yourselves 

Bitter.... party of one!

2 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

i respect alabama because after the ulm loss they knew which direction the program was heading & decided to unleash the bag man (something texas is too pretentious to do) & landed a top class that included julio jones

And that's why I respect Texas.

Bama has been amazing over the last decade.

that said two questionable selections (2011 & 2017), a freak nerve shot to McCoys arm, and Ohio state probation account for all but one of their titles.

still very good but shows how much luck/help can help deliver a title/playoff appearance.

2001 had Nebraska get help to get to the game

2003 had Cal upset USC to pave the way for OU/LSU

2004 screwed Auburn and also denied two other unbeatens.

2006 has Florida get in over Michigan, USC, and Wisconsin.

2007 was a cluster where LSU got the benefit of the doubt over USC, OU, KU, WV, and Usc.

2008 had OU and UF squeak by UT, USC, and PSU

2011 screwed OKST to give Bama a rematch

2012 saw Bama luck out that tOSU was on probation

2014 had tOSU squeak by both Bu and TCU

2017 had bama slide in over both Ohio St and unbeaten Ucf

Many of the teams left out could have won.   Bama has been good but getting the benefit of the doubt in two contested years has been huge.

What matters now is which teams are improving and which are not?  Nothing stays the same.  

However good, great, overrated or lucky the program as a whole has been since Nick Saban arrived in 2007 and thank you Jesus decided to stay, it's obvious Bama has fallen off on defense, particularly in the pass rush and quality of LB play, for each of the last couple of years.  We got wayy too pass happy in 2018 and 2019 and couldn't make a yard when it was important.  There are reasons enough to fill a stadium but the facts stand as they stand.  We had no answer for LSU's offense last year.  This COVID-fucked season, which even now may or may not happen, will always have a big asterisk by it.    

Hell, I'm still pissed off about ND playing for a tie vs Sparty in 1966 and taking a title away from a damn good Bama team.  And for the record, I do not claim Bama won any of those questioned titles.  I don''t even claim the one the AP awarded in 1964 before the bowls.  We lost the Orange Bowl to Texas no matter what Joe Namath said, and that championship has a big "awarded before Orange Bowl loss" asterisk. 

Drink Scotch whiskey all night long . . . and die behind the wheel.  

On 8/18/2020 at 10:40 AM, Lobo said:

Yeah, I don't like Alabama but just like Oklahoma...I'd trade recent history and/or coaching staffs with them in a heartbeat.  We've averaged 5 losses per season under Herman and the line for some of y'all to suck his dick is a mile long somehow still.  Alabama, Oklahoma, et. al.  They still care about hardware at those places.  I've finally learned that we just don't.  We're a great fanbase and I love our program, but we just don't actually care as much as we think we do about winning.  This latest Alabama dynasty will be revered for decades and rightfully so.

For as much as OU cares about hardware and how bad UT has been last decade, UT still has a more recent national championship and national championship appearance. Shrugs.

Yes, that is true.  But for some reason it doesn't take the sting off the fact that from 2010-2019...we have zero conference championships and OU has 7.  Seven.  Zero to Seven.  That's insane to me.  In those ten seasons, they appeared in 10 bowl games.  We appeared in just 7.  Yeah, they got their clock cleaned in some of them, but they made 8 CFP/NY6 bowl games during that timespan, we made just 1.  In those same 10 years, they only lost 25 games.  We lost 57 games, well over twice as many.  

We don't care as much about winning at UT.  That's just the fact.  I think we used to, but those days are long gone.  And Alabama and Clemson are light years beyond us and OU.  

On 8/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, C-Man said:

Fuck Bama. I'll argue 'til the end of time that we were going to beat them before Colt got hurt and the rematch opportunity against LSU was some serious bullshit. The rest were won on the field and, yes, they lost a few times in there (shit happens). They're still on the greatest run I've ever seen a college football program get on and are showing no signs of stopping yet. I'm envious.

(If you really want to do something, debunk some of their claimed-after-the-fact national titles that they use to get to 17.)

I am a super, super, die-hard Alabama fan...and the 17 championships thing is ridiculous. But it's turned into performance art because it pisses people off so much.