Favorite concert venue

kt-horn

The Bronco Bowl in Dallas was awesome.  I don't know if it was the acoustics of the place or if they just had a top notch sound guy, but every band I ever saw there sounded better in that room than in any other venue I'd seen them.  Naturally, they tore it down.

Edited by TriStone
  • Like 1

Can't pick one. Looking through my ticket stubs, these stand out for me.

The Tabernacle in Atlanta is charming AF and I saw the greatest Willie show there around 2000.

Red Rocks fo sho.

The House of Blues are all corporate and live nation and shit but they all have great sound systems and are well designed. Been to the one in Houston, NOLA, and Chicago.

Seeing the Black Crowes at the Lauberge in Lake Charles was the shit. It was like an outdoor beach party with a lazy river and stuff.

My favorite tried and true venue is probably the Continental Club in Austin.

And one more - usually Jones Hall doesn't get rock shows but I saw David Byrne play there and it was amazing. Then I saw him play at the Hobby Center. His shows were so tightly choreographed with dancers and props and other silliness, it just made sense to put them in performance halls.

• Like 1

Aztec Theater San Antonio.

But it can also be the worst. It took me several shows crammed in on the floor, shitty sound down there, to figure out where to watch the shows from. They have these platforms just in front of the sound guy, about eye level with the band in the stage, where you can stand leaning against a railing with nobody in front of you. Sound there is amazing, as is the view. 

Cynthia Mitchell Pavilion in The Woodlands is a great modern venue.  Plenty of concessions and restrooms and not a bad seat in the house.  We usually get lawn seat and rent the $6 chairs.  I can be out the door and back home in about 20 minutes as well.  

cynthiawoodsmitchellpavilionfacebook.jpg

Easily Red Rocks. Hollywood Bowl is pretty cool too. Still need to get to the Gorge and the Greek. As far as Austin...the old Backyard was the best. Currently Moody/ACL Live is the winner. The Parish is also a great venue but they never have any bands that are worth a shit. 

Kessler is a good call. Small but not too tight. 

Ive lost the love for the granada. Feels like they oversell tix there and results in it being a death trap waiting to happen. And i know I'll catch hell for sounding like a chick but the bathroom situation is one of the worst around when it's anything approaching capacity

• Like 1

I always have a great time at shows at Whitewater in New Braunfels. Perfect atmosphere for a country show.

In Houston, I love going to shows at small venues like Mucky Duck and Anderson Fair. The Heights Theater gets great bands now and is perfect size (sister venue of the Kessler in Dallas).

The coolest place  I've seen a show in Houston has been the Orange Show by far...

hou_mus_20161111_robertellis_marcotorres

7 hours ago, bluto said:

For actual going there to hear music billy bobs is one of the worst I've been to. For hot ass walkin around in cowboy boots and short skirts it def qualifies as a best. 

agree with this.  you have to sit down at billy bobs or you get told to sit down and there are posts in the way so its hard to see unless you are at a front table.  

*And red rocks is an amazing venue but the sound is kinda meh if you are more than half way up. 

Edited by Elvis Presto

If y'all ever get up to Portland, Oregon go check out a show at the Doug Fir Lounge or Mississippi Studios.  Small venues with good sound.  I hate going to large venues and refuse arena concerts.  Fuck that noise.

Also, every fan of live music (and more specifically concert posters) should go to a show at the Fillmore in San Francisco.   

On 4/18/2018 at 2:04 AM, Quasimofo said:

Alpine Valley in Wisconsin. Saw the Doobies there in 1978.

The Rolling Stones, Steel Wheels Tour, 1989. Men's room flooded half of an inch deep in nasty liquid. I pissed on a tree behind the chalet. More satisfying than peeing in my backyard.

• Like 1

The Bronco Bowl in Dallas was awesome.  I don't know if it was the acoustics of the place or if they just had a top notch sound guy, but every band I ever saw there sounded better in that room than in any other venue I'd seen them.  Naturally, they tore it down.

This
  • Like 1