Do We Have a Christ Followers Thread?

ernest_t_bass

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

God is great.

Indeed.   

Surgeon walked in this morning and listened to her breathing, looked at her vitals and said “Go tell the docs to get this tube out of her, she doesn’t want or need it and I don’t want it.”   I laughed for a minute and when they pulled it out and had to suction the area for a few seconds and saw her little heart rate jump and oxygen drop, I seriously about had a panic attack.  But they got done with all that and she dropped back to where she was prior in less than 30 seconds and shot up to 100% oxygen in les than a minute.  Little girl is gonna be hell on wheels just like her dad was.  I’ll happily take that penance. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

She's doing really well. Today. Very active. Breathing is perfect. Pooping and peeing in every change right now. Less overnight gunk in the suction tube. Doubled our meals from 7mL to 15 mL every 3 hours. Rapidly improving. I know her Grammie got to meet Dr Stagg (her surgeon) yesterday when they ran into him at Academy. He was buying last minute gear for the start of bow season today.  

I'm very happy that my surgeon is also a hunter. Lol

• Hook 'Em 2

Sorry I’m just getting back to you bro!  

Today’s EKG came back looking good. They have increased her feeding- 70 to now 90mL, we were at 7mL wed. They will discontinue lipids bag and still continue TPN (her total nutrition bag) @ 50mL. They will take out her umbilical cord line at some point and replace it by Mon. with a IV in her hand. The umbilical cord line can only be used 7-10 days. Respiratory is good, still on antibiotics & that seems to be leveling out well too. 
Pedi. Cardiologist said the PDA (small defect in heart) resolved itself already and upper chamber and lower chamber (she had 2 small holes in heart) had a very small opening but again nothing that can't resolve itself. All in all, cardiologist ruled out any cardiac relationship to the esophagus.   Big day Monday as we do a contrast study (they put dye in her food) so we can see how well her esophagus is recovering from the repair. The surgeons are already optimistic just due to her increased feeding and the reactions to it.   But we gotta make sure.  So big day Monday, and another Wednesday when they do a Spinal sonogram to be sure there’s nothing there (the surgical team and the head NICU doctor already ruled out any spinal issues, but it’s a CYA deal).   If all is clear, we start breast and bottle feeding on Monday evening/Tues morning, and really just wait for her surgical areas to recover a few weeks.  May be home in 2 more weeks, may be 3.   Just depends.

all in all, she’s the best 40th birthday present a guy could ask for.   She’s developing a hilarious personality, which I’m certain will send me to the limits of my sanity, but she’s a sweet, feisty little one.   Thank y’all for the continued prayers! 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Sorry I’m just getting back to you bro!  

Today’s EKG came back looking good. They have increased her feeding- 70 to now 90mL, we were at 7mL wed. They will discontinue lipids bag and still continue TPN (her total nutrition bag) @ 50mL. They will take out her umbilical cord line at some point and replace it by Mon. with a IV in her hand. The umbilical cord line can only be used 7-10 days. Respiratory is good, still on antibiotics & that seems to be leveling out well too. 
Pedi. Cardiologist said the PDA (small defect in heart) resolved itself already and upper chamber and lower chamber (she had 2 small holes in heart) had a very small opening but again nothing that can't resolve itself. All in all, cardiologist ruled out any cardiac relationship to the esophagus.   Big day Monday as we do a contrast study (they put dye in her food) so we can see how well her esophagus is recovering from the repair. The surgeons are already optimistic just due to her increased feeding and the reactions to it.   But we gotta make sure.  So big day Monday, and another Wednesday when they do a Spinal sonogram to be sure there’s nothing there (the surgical team and the head NICU doctor already ruled out any spinal issues, but it’s a CYA deal).   If all is clear, we start breast and bottle feeding on Monday evening/Tues morning, and really just wait for her surgical areas to recover a few weeks.  May be home in 2 more weeks, may be 3.   Just depends.

all in all, she’s the best 40th birthday present a guy could ask for.   She’s developing a hilarious personality, which I’m certain will send me to the limits of my sanity, but she’s a sweet, feisty little one.   Thank y’all for the continued prayers! 

I'm so glad to hear that. I'm keeping y'all in my thoughts

Being a girl dad is the best. 

Surgeon just came in.   Said everything looks fantastic.  They did confirm the distal (lower esophagus narrowing) stenosis on the contrast study and said we'd have to come back in a few months to balloon that.   We are about to start on feeds (bottle/breast) on her next feeding time.  Taking chest tube out tomorrow, and feeding tube as well depending on how she's doing with feeds.  They are extraordinarily pleased with her recovery thus far.

we just got to sit her up and bottle feed for the first time!   What a joyous moment!  Thanks so much for the continued prayers y’all!!!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Surgeon just came in.   Said everything looks fantastic.  They did confirm the distal (lower esophagus narrowing) stenosis on the contrast study and said we'd have to come back in a few months to balloon that.   We are about to start on feeds (bottle/breast) on her next feeding time.  Taking chest tube out tomorrow, and feeding tube as well depending on how she's doing with feeds.  They are extraordinarily pleased with her recovery thus far.

we just got to sit her up and bottle feed for the first time!   What a joyous moment!  Thanks so much for the continued prayers y’all!!!

tenor.gif?itemid=5117200

Charlotte's already kicking ass.  Glad to hear it.

On 8/20/2020 at 6:08 PM, TwiceHorn said:

It is currently en vogue in the recovery community to call oneself "recovered" as opposed to the "recovering" that was common for decades.  I don't think I'm a big fan of that.

I have similar feelings about "saved," or even "born again."  It's an ongoing process that can stop at any time and restart. That is probably more implicit in "born again" than in "saved."

Present participles seem appropriate, past not so much.

I see what you’re getting at, but there’s some things I may speak on.  

I totally agree about recovered rather than recovering.  No one is a recovered alcoholic/gambler/cheater/drug addict.  There is no end to recovery.  

i disagree about born again/saved on some things.  I think being born again/saved is knowing you’re at the beginning of a change.   It’s acknowledging that you’re a recovering sinner.  There’s never an end to it.  You’re recognizing that you know you’re not perfect, and that following “The Way, the Truth, and the Life” is not the path to perfection, but to realizing imperfection.   

45 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

I'm going to keep it short b/c I don't want to steal from Trey.  But my wife is colder by the day, while my fire burns hotter.  She wants to move out.  I want to get baptized.  Prayers needed.

Awesome stuff, Trey!

And I hope you know I’m not trying to steal your thread.  I’m praying for you in your situation because I can’t imagine what you’re going through right now.  But know you’re headed down the right path.  Hopefully she begins to understand, and more especially joins you in your journey. I knew this was the place to put the info about my daughter after reading the thread, solely for the heartfelt and deep thought responses in it.  I know we’re all some tough, funny, surly bastages.  But many of us know how our spiritual bread is buttered too.  

6 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

And I hope you know I’m not trying to steal your thread. 

Heavens no, brother.  This is for all of us.  What you've shared fits my exact intent of this thread.  To God be the glory that we can use this cesspool of a site (I kid, I kid) to reach out and find comfort in one another in times of need.

23 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Psalm 23:5

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.   

Update!!
She just got the chest tube taken out so I'm about to head back up there.   Wife and I ate lunch and I walked back to the hotel real quick to get her a few snacks and now she's getting to hold the baby for the first time since an hour before the surgery.   

I’d say this is one content mama & baby!!!

3D3A6E81-A767-4A16-A183-77D78A954A9F.jpeg

C25064FE-CA35-4ECA-83EF-908EEF5D9999.jpeg

Nothing better than seeing the woman you love hold the baby that stole your heart.  Keep grinding Charlotte

Edited by Post Oak

While Trey and his family bask in the blessings. . .

I've got an in law who is the best Christian I know.  Wonderful person.  Prays, tithes, very generous.  Bends over backwards to take care of clients, often losing money going the extra mile to make sure they are happy.  Genuinely sweetest person I kinow.

She just got sued by a former client for some work that allegedly went wrong - loss of use, mental anguish, lost wages, etc.  All physical evidence burned up in a fire years ago and was trashed.  IMO causality/contributory liability impossible to prove.

In law was emotionally devestated, in tears, in her mind if this person had come to her at the time of the incident she would have done her best to make the other person whole.  First time in 50 years of business shes been sued.

I told her don't take it personally, they are just shaking down your business liability insurance carrier with a frivolous claim, it'll never see a jury, they will probably pay $25K or $50K and it will go away.

The plaintiff is the pastor of the closest thing we have to a non-denominational prosperity gospel megachurch.  She didn't know what that was, I told her think Joel Olsteen.  She's appalled that a pastor would file such a lawsuit.

:)

I explained that tithing was probably down due to Covid and that they were looking for creative alternative revenue sources.

Then I told her of a friend of mine from my church men's group who teaches in the public school system, honors middle school algebra.  He once had a student who disrupted class to the point where it wasn't fair to the other students.  He talked about this situation for months at our bible study/fellowship meetings and we prayed about what to do with this difficult student.  Every week we would meet and he'd provide a situational update and we'd pray about it again.

On the day that they finally held a parent/teacher/guidance counselor/principle conference to discuss the matter, the student's mother said "before we begin, let me just say that for months my women's prayer group has been praying hard about what to do with this difficult teacher. . ." IIRC the studen's mother brought her church's pastor to the meeting as well.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

I've got an in law who is the best Christian I know.  Wonderful person.  Prays, tithes, very generous.  Bends over backwards to take care of clients, often losing money going the extra mile to make sure they are happy.  Genuinely sweetest person I kinow.

She just got sued by a former client for some work that allegedly went wrong - loss of use, mental anguish, lost wages, etc.  All physical evidence burned up in a fire years ago and was trashed.  IMO causality/contributory liability impossible to prove.

In law was emotionally devestated, in tears, in her mind if this person had come to her at the time of the incident she would have done her best to make the other person whole.  First time in 50 years of business shes been sued.

I told her don't take it personally, they are just shaking down your business liability insurance carrier with a frivolous claim, it'll never see a jury, they will probably pay $25K or $50K and it will go away.

The plaintiff is the pastor of the closest thing we have to a non-denominational prosperity gospel megachurch.  She didn't know what that was, I told her think Joel Olsteen.  She's appalled that a pastor would file such a lawsuit.

I explained that tithing was probably down due to Covid and that they were looking for creative alternative revenue sources.

Then I told her of a friend of mine from my church men's group who teaches in the public school system, honors middle school algebra.  He once had a student who disrupted class to the point where it wasn't fair to the other students.  He talked about this situation for months at our bible study/fellowship meetings and we prayed about what to do with this difficult student.  Every week we would meet and he'd provide a situational update and we'd pray about it again.

On the day that they finally held a parent/teacher/guidance counselor/principle conference to discuss the matter, the student's mother said "before we begin, let me just say that for months my women's prayer group has been praying hard about what to do with this difficult teacher. . ." IIRC the studen's mother brought her church's pastor to the meeting as well.

Stuff like that burns me up hot 

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

This is the kind of thing that occurs when Christians tend to be heavily focused on intercessory prayer rather than meditative and contemplative prayer. Prayer groups usually are just intercessory prayer circles.

It seems to me that a meditative and contemplative prayer would be more helpful in these situations due to the individual focusing on scripture and the nature of God as they consider their standing before God. You are much more likely to realize you are being an asshole this way than praying for God to give you guidance. The guidance is already in the scripture, you just need to reflect on it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Sounds like it might be barred by limitations.

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

That’s some hard stuff to hear about your friend. Reminds me of my FIL. What she’s going thru can test one sanity and faith. 

All I can off is that forgiveness, while hard, is an incredible thing. The person you forgive may not even notice, but it sets your soul free. I wish the best for her. 

On 10/6/2020 at 2:49 PM, Trey3216 said:

Psalm 23:5

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.   

Update!!
She just got the chest tube taken out so I'm about to head back up there.   Wife and I ate lunch and I walked back to the hotel real quick to get her a few snacks and now she's getting to hold the baby for the first time since an hour before the surgery.   

I’d say this is one content mama & baby!!!

3D3A6E81-A767-4A16-A183-77D78A954A9F.jpeg

C25064FE-CA35-4ECA-83EF-908EEF5D9999.jpeg

Such sweet pictures. I cannot wait to send some of my own in about 3 more months. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 10:07 PM, Clintonaldo said:

I really love this thread and have had time to think since my first response and want to say more but not sure what to say. 

Is it ok to say I love Christ but hate church? I mean I go and I will credit my own church in that they do not judge people but I see so many people that call themselves Christians and I want to cringe. It also then makes me wonder what my church members are doing when I don’t see? That also makes me wonder am I being a hypocrite for judging people who judge people when the Bible is against condemnation?

I don’t know where else to put this but I feel like typing.

I have posted before that my father attempted suicide January 26th 2016 and didn’t accomplish what he wanted to accomplish. He now resides in a home where he is blind and has the mental capacity of a 5 year old. For the first 7 months I was driving 5 hours one way to see him every weekend. Some visits were for an hour and sometimes he was asleep but I had to go see him as his only child. 

Also, on the same day my father chose his path my stepfather died of cancer. He was an incredible man who was awarded a Purple Heart. He treated my mother like a queen and was a true prince of a man. I watched him fight for over a year a fight that we all knew he would lose. It was hell and completely unfair.

I will say during that day that I became closer to God. I never once said why me. I do remember saying I know God will not give me more than I can handle but I really wish he didn’t trust me so much. 

I will now fast forward 4 years to now. I posted about surviving an F4 tornado on Easter Sunday. The whole day I had a bad feeling seeing that the storms were coming from the south as that is always bad in Tennessee. Long story short is we got into the hallway bath just in time and surrendered to God. We could see the roof about to break away from the house and I told my wife we have done all we can do and it’s out of our hands. It was over in 10 seconds but really humbled us. 

Our anniversary was a few weeks later and things were pretty much back to normal. Things are going good and we both have great jos and friends. I am even lucky enough to snag a little muff on our anniversary. Things continue to roll on for about 6 weeks and everything is great. We are happy and our dogs are healthy and what more could we want?

I have always wanted children and my wife always said she didn’t. I thought it was a phase and she would snap out of it but as the years went on I learned that it might not be a phase and what a shame it would be as I have seen how well she treats our pups and what a phenomenal mother she would be. I had actually started to build some resentment but I kept it buried. I thought my wife didn’t want kids because she thought she couldn’t have kids. She had some issues and a surgery back in 2016 ( same year of dad and stepdad) and we were told we should let the dream of kids go.

Well, one week in May on Wednesday I woke up around 2 am to let the dogs out ( ruff, ruff, ruff) and couldn’t get back to sleep and my mind started wondering. I started thinking about children and how it obviously wasn’t going to happen and I surrendered myself to God and said I accept what you give me and I am thankful for what I have with my wife. I stayed that Saturday night at the lake and when I came home the next morning I noticed my wife following me around the house. I get to my closet and there is a book in it. The book was Your Baby’s First Words Will Be Dadda. I didn’t get it at first and was annoyed that it was in my way but then I see her with big tears in her eyes and she says “You’re going to be a daddy”. I fall to my knees with joy as I cannot believe I will be a first time dad at 40!

I make the mistake of looking up miscarriage stats and immediatly go down a dark road thinking I got my hopes up for nothing. I am a nervous wreck for 2 weeks and I cannot sleep or eat but my wife is calm and not worried. She has such a calming grace about her during this time. We go to doctor and get the due date. The date is the same day of my father and step father. We both start crying and I finally feel like this will happen.  I just don’t think it’s a coincidence. You can call me a sheep or whatever but I thankful for the life God has given me and I will praise him in the good times and in the bad. We are well aware the rug could be pulled out from us at any moment but I will give God the glory either way. 

We are at 19 weeks and I would appreciate any and all prayers!

Wanted to clarify that my dad is now only 45 minutes away and in my territory so I get to see him a lot when not in Covid times. I had to tell him over the phone he was going to be a grandad and you could hear him work through it in his head and I could hear him smiling. One of the nurses called us a few days later and told us he was telling everyone. He doesn’t know where he is half the time or what year it is but he remembers that. 

Also, we are now in the middle of month 6 and I continue to appreciate all of the positive vibes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, workswithseed said:

Mask can't hide that smile.

Nope.  She recognized my voice as soon as I picked her up and started talking to her.   Got her bottle down, than put her to sleep on my chest.   Was like holding heaven.   Just a huge weight of worry, nervousness and frustration off my shoulders.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Nope.  She recognized my voice as soon as I picked her up and started talking to her.   Got her bottle down, than put her to sleep on my chest.   Was like holding heaven.   Just a huge weight of worry, nervousness and frustration off my shoulders.  

Goddamn....those moments for me seem like a million years ago.  And as exhausting and trying as those times often were.....shit, your little girl falling asleep on your shoulder.....that was the good stuff.  Drink it up, man.  All three of you earned it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Goddamn....those moments for me seem like a million years ago.  And as exhausting and trying as those times often were.....shit, your little girl falling asleep on your shoulder.....that was the good stuff.  Drink it up, man.  All three of you earned it.

This.  When my kids were younger, and still to today, people would tell me to soak it up.  "These are the moments you will remember forever." It was hard to process at the time, knee deep in shitty diapers, sleep deprived, and making all the adjustments and sacrifices.  But I even now, with all three still in the process, look back and I really missed out on savoring some of it. And I now, still only to a modest extent, appreciate the wisdom that I still have not completely brought to ground day to day. Went to a funeral today for a friend and father who passed far too soon with a beautiful family. Relish what you can man. Nothing is promised tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

It’s been a bit since I gave an update, and since I put it out on the one of the other threads, it’s because I caught the Rona somehow.   But that’s neither here nor there.   

I’ve been fever free for 2+ days now, and did a video consult with my doc and they said I’m good to go to see the baby (10+ days since onset of symptoms, and 2+ days with no fever and no fever meds with other symptoms gone)  so long as I stay masked. 

but in even better news, Charlotte was discharged from the hospital this morning   Mother-in-Law stayed with her all night last night in the NICU, and brought her home this morning!!!  She’s staying there til probably Tuesday until wife is done quarantine for her asymptomatic case of the Rona.  But, she’s healthy, and she’s “home”!!!  Praise God!!! 

34AEBF35-D60C-46AE-BEA8-343168DE7998.jpeg

D5F9934F-27B9-46A4-99DC-A7D4171BFC4D.jpeg

0E2EF061-D35C-4A96-8DFC-20A4F77F0D77.jpeg

843936C9-D6D3-48D4-8D1F-E30E918B604F.jpeg

E9D80923-D7E4-4C84-A573-0A7CF41255FB.jpeg

Super happy for you. I can’t prove it but I really did wonder about you this afternoon and was going to ask for updates on Baby Charlotte. 

18 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

E9D80923-D7E4-4C84-A573-0A7CF41255FB.jpeg

I was about to say that you look familiar to me, but with the mask you look like what I picture every white dude who posts on Surly.

Oh, and Charlotte is beautiful. My daughter is 14 now, and this stage in our relationship is awesome. But those days when I cradled her in one arm are some of the best in my life. If I had a time machine, I’d spend about a week during the period when she was four months old.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oh what a precious bundle of joy. May our Savior, Lord Jesus, bless you for the remainder of the year, and many after this. Mine has stinky feet, and leaves his boots in the living room. I pray that you don't have this problem.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1