2020 Republican National Convention

Mrs Whiggins

I still can't believe these yahoos have something worthwhile to say at the RNC other than "we should be worried about black people."

On a side note, please steal my idea to go to Halloween parties (if they occur this year) as this couple. But only for parties not walking down the street. The no shoes & extra long khakis for him is a key component of the costume.

Capture - Copy.JPG

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

24 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Serious question: what percentage of Republicans will actually watch the convention?

Better question: what percentage of undecideds will?

I suspect the RNC could have high school AV production value and Trump's speech could be the word "covfefe" a thousand times and it wouldn't change anything.

Fox and OAN would just talk about how great it all was and how Biden would confiscate all guns, give free houses to 10,000 new illegal aliens every day, and make abortion mandatory for all white women.  And the Redneck Mob would believe it all.

This convention is zero risk to them.  They have their horde under complete control.

100x this.  Which is what scares me most about the upcoming election. They aren't even pretending to court votes from outside their cult.  They are unwatchable and vile at this point to anyone outside the cult. They know the people's preference doesn't actually matter.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I still can't believe these yahoos have something worthwhile to say at the RNC other than "we should be worried about black people."

On a side note, please steal my idea to go to Halloween parties (if they occur this year) as this couple. But only for parties not walking down the street. The no shoes & extra long khakis for him is a key component of the costume.

Capture - Copy.JPG

I don’t have fat kankles so I can’t go as the wife 🙁

• Like 1

You could point out all of the flaws in this production and Fox News brain washed conservatives will say “ I don’t care! Better than some liberal Democrat who will tax me to oblivion, steal food off my families table, and let illegals take my house!”

literally nothing will get in some people’s way when it comes to “OWNING THE LIBS”.

sad and pathetic.

Edited by Voldemort86

I mean, let's be real honest here--Stephanie Cutter and the Democrats did a really good job.  There were maybe some misses, but before that nobody knew what a virtual convention was supposed to look like.
Now that it's been done once, that kind of sets the expectations.  And that bar is actually pretty high.  If they have the technical difficulties that the Texas GOP had doing their convention, or if they roll out there with what looks like a Zoom call, then it's going to be a pretty stark contrast to the Democrats.
And there's real danger to that.  Biden's whole argument is that Trump is incompetent.  If Trump and his people can't put together a decent convention, then it'll only underscore the point.

Wait - you’re saying Kodak won’t put on a good convention??

Sandi Patty will KILL it this time!

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Just like Sandmann, the couple has had plenty of time to work on getting the events airbrushed, groomed, and everything spotless for viewing. I'm sure one of the campaign people has been working with them for awhile.

I always think of this scene from Harlem Nights (:45 second mark) when I see the couple with their weapon differences.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I've got to tell you, I'm probably going to tune in the first night just to check out the production value.  Because I fully expect this to be a shitshow.

The Trumpublicans didn't have a lot of time or money to put this together.  The Dems knew their convention was going to be virtual for months.  But the Trumpublicans have been holding on to the idea that they were going to have an in-person convention.  And they already spent a metric ass-ton of money, first in Charlotte and then in Jacksonville.

And, on top of all that, the rumor is that Kushner is doing much of the production and they're making changes/deciding what they want to do only now.

The Dems have a great advantage over the Republicans: they aren't pretending that everything is normal.  Because of this, the Dems were able to create something different.  The Republicans will likely just shoot for imitation of normalcy, which will come across as cheap and forced.    

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Since I didn't see this topic, thought it was time.

Here's what's on tap thus far:

Monday, August 24: Land of Heroes

Presidential Nomination by delegates

Tuesday, August 25: Land of Promise

Speaker: First Lady Melania Trump

Wednesday, August 25: Land of Opportunity

Speaker: Vice President Mike Pence

Thursday, August 26: Land of Greatness

Speaker: President Donald Trump

The other speakers I listed from Ballotpedia haven't been assigned slots yet AFAIK, but they are below. The list was last updated on the 19th. I'm sure they will add more now that they've seen the DNC.

Abby Johnson

Sen. Joni Ernst (Iowa)

Former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.)

Patricia and Mark McCloskey

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem

Andrew Pollack

Nick Sandmann

Sen. Tim Scott (S.C.)

Don't know if they will plan on any "celebs", John Legend was fine in every sense of the word last night (not the bland fine I'm talking about here, say it sloooow) and if they trot out James Woods I will fall off the couch from laughing. The vibe will be completely different of that I am sure.

What will Nick Sandman’s purpose be for appearing? 

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

What will Nick Sandman’s purpose be for appearing? 

The Utter Wrongness of the Fake News? I'm speculating it's something along those lines. Trump is fond of declaring Witch Hunts and this situation would lend itself to that without a lot of work.

It's a good lead in for the explanation of why people should never watch or read anything of which the Party does not approve.

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The Utter Wrongness of the Fake News? I'm speculating it's something along those lines. Trump is fond of declaring Witch Hunts and this situation would lend itself to that without a lot of work.

It's a good lead in for the explanation of why people should never watch or read anything of which the Party does not approve.

I was hoping for “ what I learned in four years of theology classes at Covington Catholic.”

Y’all are missing the point. 

The RNC will likely be shitshow and the trumpkins will seal clap and hur hur and that will happen no matter what they do, even if Trump shits his pants as the grand finale. Who fucking cares what they think. 

The DNC convention was excellent, was way above my expectations and the dem supporters would have support it anyway no matter what happened.

The target audience is the malleable voter who is either normally a dem supporter but doesn’t really like Joe or is normally a republican supporter but doesn’t rally like trump, or doesn’t know jack shit about any of it. That’s maybe a good 20 percent of the population and the conventions affect those people.  Maybe you get them to vote for you, or most likely you get them not to vote at all. That’s the key. 

Trumps speech will no doubt focus on how shitty everything is right now, because of Obama.

He will then argue that everything will get even worse in the future, because of Joe.

He will argue that the darkies are going to take over your homes, the democrats want to eat your children, abort your babies without your consent, and so on and so on.

It will be the darkest speech in the history of politics, ever. And that’s going back to the Middle Ages and before. It will be simply unprecedented. 

And in a sense he will be right, because he caused all that. He has killed thousands of Americans, bankrupted the country like he did all his other companies, and sown division and chaos in a country he inherited that used to be great and has single handedly caused disrespect for our country all over the globe. He caused the darkness, the chaos, the suffering, the evil. Because that is what he is. 

He hasn’t destroyed it yet. But given another 4 years, he will. And everyone who has opposed him will be marked for destruction, maybe even those who post on this board against him.

He is simply that evil. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Y’all are missing the point. 

The RNC will likely be shitshow and the trumpkins will seal clap and hur hur and that will happen no matter what they do, even if Trump shits his pants as the grand finale. Who fucking cares what they think. 

The Aristocrats.

35 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Trumps speech will no doubt focus on how shitty everything is right now, because of Obama.

He will then argue that everything will get even worse in the future, because of Joe.

He will argue that the darkies are going to take over your homes, the democrats want to eat your children, abort your babies without your consent, and so on and so on.

It will be the darkest speech in the history of politics, ever. And that’s going back to the Middle Ages and before. It will be simply unprecedented. 

And in a sense he will be right, because he caused all that. He has killed thousands of Americans, bankrupted the country like he did all his other companies, and sown division and chaos in a country he inherited that used to be great and has single handedly caused disrespect for our country all over the globe. He caused the darkness, the chaos, the suffering, the evil. Because that is what he is. 

He hasn’t destroyed it yet. But given another 4 years, he will. And everyone who has opposed him will be marked for destruction, maybe even those who post on this board against him.

He is simply that evil. 

I believe that it is possible that even with incredible voter turnout he will still (through crooked means) win the election. Certainly happened in Belarus and Putin is taking care of that quite handily. When rank and file officials quit in disgust over the obvious rigged election, he simply flew in Russians to take their place. Difference here between their protestors and ours is simply more weaponry all around. 

But really I don’t believe Trump can physically  last four more years. He’s too far gone. They been covering for him but it’s getting a lot harder and four years is too long to outrun the brain decay. The truly evil part is that it won’t matter. If he wins it’s over. They can put anyone in that spot. The academics, the journalists, the ethical officials, all gone in one form or fashion. The marginalized POC will stay trapped in the cycle of paying for their own incarceration in shitty neighborhoods, schools, and prisons unable to escape the overwhelming unspoken fees they are assessed for the color of their skin. The police will have a broader pool in which to swing their clubs. Women will be pushed to the side to be the decorative set pieces they were created to be. It’s a rich white man’s world baby, isn’t America great again? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

I saw that Kushner has read 25 books on virtual political convention production.  Plus, he did a little amateur filming in college.  Mostly butt stuff.  

That was funny.

Kushner is in charge of EVERYTHING. My god if his father-in-law did 10% of the work Jared supposedly is in charge of . . .  Well, that’ll never happen. 

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

He is simply that evil. 

It’ll be the darkest speech since . . . His last 100 speeches or at least his inauguration speech which made me want to kill myself afterwards. If Stephen Miller has anything to do with it then it will make Hitler proud. 

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

That was funny.

Kushner is in charge of EVERYTHING. My god if his father-in-law did 10% of the work Jared supposedly is in charge of . . .  Well, that’ll never happen. 

His latest gig is in aircraft sales apparently. I guess he slipped that in between convention party planning and brushing his teeth.

11 hours ago, Brandywine said:

That was funny.

It would be one thing if Kushner succeeded in whatever shitshow Trump sticks him on at least occasionally. But he appears to be every bit as incompetent as his fucktarded father in law. His sole qualification appears to be fucking Ivanka, which must make him a God in dotard's mind. 

• Haha 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/08/22/rnc-schedule-finalize-details-amid-chaos-trump-input/3410857001/

The Republican National Convention opens in just two days, but planners have yet to provide a final schedule or other key details about what will take place during the gathering that will culminate in the nomination of President Donald Trump for a second term.

Officials have confirmed the identities of a dozen or so convention speakers, but not when they will be speaking, where they will be, or what they will be talking about.

Convention planners haven’t officially announced that Trump is giving his acceptance speech from the White House, though the president himself has confirmed it.

Even aides to the Senate’s top Republican, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, seemed confused about whether he would have a convention speaking role. McConnell’s re-election campaign said Thursday he would be campaigning in his home state and would not be speaking at the event. Hours later, a campaign source said there had been “a miscommunication” and that the senator would submit taped remarks to be played at the convention.

McConnell's off-again, on-again appearance at the convention underscores the chaotic nature of the short-term planning for a complex event that has been moved from two cites over a period of two months, all under the shadow of the pandemic, officials said.

“The airplane has been put together in mid-air, and it is much less organized than normal,” said Dan Eberhart, an energy company executive and GOP donor who is familiar with the convention planning.

There are many reasons for seeming chaos, officials said, including Trump's insistence on approving most decisions  [note: What could go wrong?] and the egos of people who want prime-time speaking slots.

“You’ve got many senior Republicans who have higher approval ratings than Trump, and so that’s playing into who wants to be seen at the convention and who doesn’t,” Eberhart said.

Spoiler

The event, which opens Monday and closes Thursday night with Trump’s acceptance speech at the White House, will be a far cry from the glitz of conventions past, primarily because of the threat of the coronavirus pandemic. The convention is expected to be a mostly virtual affair, although small crowds are expected at some events.

Convention-type activities began Friday in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Republican National Committee is holding a series of meetings throughout the weekend devoted to rules, the platform and other party business. The RNC meeting on Monday is to nominate Trump for re-election.

The Republican National Committee did not respond to requests for details about convention programming.

Democrats held their four-day convention this week, switching to an entirely virtual gathering after concerns about the coronavirus prompted them to scrap plans for a traditional celebration in Milwaukee. Though there were a few glitches, planners managed to pull off the first-of-its-kind convention without any major technical problems, with Joe Biden accepting his party's presidential nomination from his hometown in Wilmington, Delaware.

Republicans, who watched closely to see what worked and what didn't, are expected to sharpen their attacks against Biden at their convention.

"I think we're going to see a full-out assault on Joe Biden," Eberhart said. "People that I've talked to are very amped up about how anti-Trump the Democratic convention was, and so I think they're going to tweak some of those speeches to increase the contrast with Joe Biden even more than what they were planning."

Delays, miscommunication in planning

The biggest the difficulty in putting together the convention has been COVID-19 and the dangers posed by the virus that already has killed more than 174,000 Americans and infected more than 5 million, officials said.

The threat of the virus has made it difficult to plan events with any kind of sizable crowds, officials said. Seeking events with event limited crowds has forced planners to drop potential venues that don't want to be involved because of the fear of COVID-19.

The virus is the reason the Republicans pulled their convention from Charlotte in the first place, a decision that the Republican National Committee made in early June.

The spread of the coronavirus made it hard for the GOP to plan events in their back-up city of Jacksonville, Fla. – should Trump speak in the basketball arena? The minor league baseball stadium? The nearby amphitheater? – and would up killing the entire project anyway.

When Trump told reporters July 23 he was pulling the plug on Jacksonville, it caught some Republican staff members by surprise. They suddenly had to pack up and start looking for new venues, one month before the start of a convention that normally takes years to plan.

Plans have to be run by Trump, and that has created delays and at times miscommunication.

"The president has got a lot on his plate," said one Republican familiar with the convention. "The speaker's list for the Republican convention may fall further down the list."

Trump freely offers advice on what he wants to see in the convention, officials said. Previous presidents have taken an interest in convention planning, but Trump's role is unique given his background in television. The star of a TV reality show before entering politics, Trump often envisions events in terms of how they will look on television.

"When it comes to what a television shot looks like, the president is very engaged,” said Ron Bonjean, a GOP political strategist. “He cares about what the lighting looks like. What are the backgrounds? Who are the other people who are going to be in the shot? He is very detail oriented on what viewers are going to be seeing and how it is going to be portrayed on a daily basis.”

During this week's Democratic convention, after learning that former first lady Michelle Obama had taped her convention speech days before, Trump got out the word that he wanted all live speeches at the GOP convention.

Officials said it's a lot easier to slot in taped speeches than lives ones – especially with so many officials lobbying hard for the best speaking slot.

That's a problem endemic to all conventions. Political strategist Rich Galen, once an aide to House Speaker Newt Gingrich, recalled that before the 1996 GOP convention in San Diego, Gingrich agreed to speak in the mid-afternoon to take some of the pressure off planners.

"The convention managers could say, 'If the speaker doesn’t need a prime time spot, you don’t either,'" Galen said.

The jockeying for speaker slots probably contributed to the mix-up with McConnell, an official said.

Lobbying for prominent speaker roles has been an especially big problem given the last-minute planning due to the cancellations – the same kinds of problems the Democrats faced right up to their virtual convention.

The GOP should draw on lessons from this week's Democratic National Convention, where speakers like Sen. Kamala Harris accepted her historic nomination as Biden's running mate to a near empty auditorium, said Matt Gorman, a Republican strategist who worked for Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney's presidential campaigns.

The stretch of silence following her remarks was louder than the eruption of applause that would have typically followed.

As much as emphasizing a clear message matters, there's "zero room for error" on live television when it comes to the technical transition between speakers, Gorman said.

"There's no choice but success. I think there's too much at stake," he said. "The people who are running it are extremely competent and a lot of this was planned in terms of speakers and things, so a lot of it is transition and figuring out how to do it in a new venue.

"That's certainly not an easy task."

Edited by Francisco 2.0

I mean, let's be real honest here--Stephanie Cutter and the Democrats did a really good job.  There were maybe some misses, but before that nobody knew what a virtual convention was supposed to look like.
Now that it's been done once, that kind of sets the expectations.  And that bar is actually pretty high.  If they have the technical difficulties that the Texas GOP had doing their convention, or if they roll out there with what looks like a Zoom call, then it's going to be a pretty stark contrast to the Democrats.
And there's real danger to that.  Biden's whole argument is that Trump is incompetent.  If Trump and his people can't put together a decent convention, then it'll only underscore the point.

Democrats huh.

1405889218_Capture-Copy.JPG.c75bdb510ee2dea4c1cf292cb25f3dcf.JPG

Why are they not in jail for pointing weapons at people?

There were several people encroaching on their property.  Again, I don't know Missouri state castle law doctrine...but I would contend that almost nobody on this board had an issue with them brandishing weapons.  We just don't think it rose to the level of an RNC keynote invitation.  Had the beetlejuice-festooned wife known how to better handle her weapon, at this point in the Republican, she'd probably be up for Sec. of Defense once Esper gets inevitably shitcanned.  

Some of the right wingers have been saying they like her better than Pence. She may step in it, but these folks just grift another pair of shoes and gullible folks forget about it. I never thought Oliver North would reappear, or some of the other folks over the last decade but here we are.

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I can’t believe Nikki Haley is going to get within 100 miles of this shit. Doesn’t she have presidential aspirations? She’s about to step in some dog shit that isn’t going to wash off. 

Same for Tim Scott, why continue to associate yourself with the dotard at this point? I mean if he wins again I understand, continue selling your soul. 

There were several people encroaching on their property.  Again, I don't know Missouri state castle law doctrine...but I would contend that almost nobody on this board had an issue with them brandishing weapons.  We just don't think it rose to the level of an RNC keynote invitation.  Had the beetlejuice-festooned wife known how to better handle her weapon, at this point in the Republican, she'd probably be up for Sec. of Defense once Esper gets inevitably shitcanned.  

I have an issue with people pulling and point guns at people walking on the sidewalk.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, thepop said:

Same for Tim Scott, why continue to associate yourself with the dotard at this point? I mean if he wins again I understand, continue selling your soul. 

There is no life after Trumpism for 99% of Republican politicians. It's their last stand. 

19 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I can’t believe Nikki Haley is going to get within 100 miles of this shit. Doesn’t she have presidential aspirations? She’s about to step in some dog shit that isn’t going to wash off. 

Supposedly she even called Trump asking if she could speak at the RNC.

moderate republicans won’t forget she cozied herself up to trump so much.