Jump to content
luke duke

Check Out This Fucking Taco

Recommended Posts

I have always overcooked my eggs and only in the past year have I begun to appreciate them undercooked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

I have always overcooked my eggs and only in the past year have I begun to appreciate them undercooked.  

The day a man learns to cook his scrambled eggs over medium low heat, with lots of butter, is a life changing day.  Let curds form slowly, fold the eggs over gently so they cook through gently and slowly, and end up light and fluffy.  As opposed to the way most of us learned to cook -- "turn that heat up high, cook em fast cuz I'm hungry!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, luke duke said:

tacos

blah

blah

Tabasco

 

WTF dude...That aint right.

Edited by riloh05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rice don’t belong in a breakfast taco 

other than that and the Tabasco, great job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The day a man learns to cook his scrambled eggs over medium low heat, with lots of butter, is a life changing day.  Let curds form slowly, fold the eggs over gently so they cook through gently and slowly, and end up light and fluffy.  As opposed to the way most of us learned to cook -- "turn that heat up high, cook em fast cuz I'm hungry!"

My dad is a chef... i feel like all the other cooking knowledge I’ve gained is found money after learning that simple bit at a very early age. Feel bad for y’all that didn’t learn that til adulthood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clicked thinking this was a thread about South Austin's mom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Looks fine although not sure cobbling together leftovers is worth its own thread

Steel shank already started it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, luke duke said:

If sandwiches have their own thread, then tacos deserve one too.

Yesterday’s breakfast:

Corn/flour hybrid tortilla from Central Markup

Rice and beans that I made last weekend

Leftover brisket, also from last weekend

Scrambled egg

Cheese

Tabasco

c2c22579bfe3c782be5b205b64715853.jpg


Looks like you're just getting started...

 

Edited by Napoleon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Js1 said:

Rice don’t belong in a breakfast taco 

other than that and the Tabasco, great job. 


I put leftover Mexican rice in my homemade migas tacos and it slams. Heat up crushed tortilla chips and Mexican rice in skillet until warm/hot add scrambled eggs shredded cheese and a couple spoonfuls of good salsa or pico if you have it.  Stir and cook until eggs are almost done and pull off pan den seeeves in warmed flour tortillas. Additional salsa or hot suace can be applied here.

 

You can mix it up too and use leftover queso instead of shredded cheese or add fresh diced onion and jalapeños with the chips and rice to sauté a bit.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, luke duke said:

 

c2c22579bfe3c782be5b205b64715853.jpg

 

 

I give this an 8.5 / 10.

If you were hungover, the score would be adjusted to a 14 / 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, Brisketexan said:

The day a man learns to cook his scrambled eggs over medium low heat, with lots of butter, is a life changing day.  Let curds form slowly, fold the eggs over gently so they cook through gently and slowly, and end up light and fluffy.  As opposed to the way most of us learned to cook -- "turn that heat up high, cook em fast cuz I'm hungry!"

Nope.  Heat a generous blob of good olive oil on medium high heat, melt maybe a Tbsp of butter, wait until the oil shimmers and then dump the eggs & salt/pepper them well.  Wait a few seconds, do a fold, wait about the same amount of time, do another fold, maybe repeat 1-2 more times and remove.  Should take about 45 seconds max and they will be the greatest scrambled eggs in history.  Fast is not wrong, but you have to essentially fry them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're going to ruin this glorious leftover taco thread with another God damn exhausting scrambled egg debate. God damnit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Nope.  Heat a generous blob of good olive oil on medium high heat, melt maybe a Tbsp of butter, wait until the oil shimmers and then dump the eggs & salt/pepper them well.  Wait a few seconds, do a fold, wait about the same amount of time, do another fold, maybe repeat 1-2 more times and remove.  Should take about 45 seconds max and they will be the greatest scrambled eggs in history.  Fast is not wrong, but you have to essentially fry them.

This?

https://youtu.be/PUP7U5vTMM0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I'm sure those eggs taste great, but no, that's nothing like what I posted.  

Oh, I thought you said greatest scrambled eggs in history.

not really. I tried Gordon Ramsay’s way once and it was too much of a pain in the ass to be worth it.

Edited by bigcigar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's quite literally the easiest way to cook eggs, but OK.  Apparently some delicate leftover taco feathers are getting ruffled so I'll stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think it is less that it was learned late and more that it was just appreciated later.  I simply preferred the taste of eggs well done at a young age and never asked for anything different.  I remember sending back or just not eating runny, fried, or any non overcooked eggs. I only ate them if they were the consistency of an omelet.  A year or two back Wolfgang puck was making some eggs and I thought why not give it another go.  As with many other dishes, beside heat level, a few seconds can make all the difference.  That and simple seasoning.    

Edited by RollLeft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TornACL said:

We're going to ruin this glorious leftover taco thread with another God damn exhausting scrambled egg debate. God damnit. 

Moving on to the beans.  I personally can't stand under salted beans that is the worst.  Then second worst is overly spiced beans.  The color of the beans in OP's taco looks right to me.  A bit of pepper and not reddish due to over spicing.   Rice looks a bit off but taste may tell a different story.

Edited by RollLeft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, Brisketexan said:

The day a man learns to cook his scrambled eggs over medium low heat, with lots of butter, is a life changing day.  Let curds form slowly, fold the eggs over gently so they cook through gently and slowly, and end up light and fluffy.  As opposed to the way most of us learned to cook -- "turn that heat up high, cook em fast cuz I'm hungry!"

This strategy also applies well to omelettes, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Y’all gonna fuck up a thread started with a picture of a brisket taco. 

You new around here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you aren’t seasoning your scrambled eggs with chili powder, well I suggest you start. Little pinch of cumin is also recommended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I left this alone for awhile, but curiosity is getting the better of me:  since when did hybrid tortillas become a thing?  I rejected them out of hand when I first saw them on the shelves a few years back.  Is there any historical background or are they just what I figured, a stupid modern invention?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is kinda blasphemous, but I use the hybrid tortillas when I'm making chicken enchiladas. The taste is similar and you don't have to heat them up in oil first. When making cheese enchiladas I still use yellow corn tortillas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In these uncertain times, I find myself making plenty of tacos. HEB Bakery corn tortillas are pretty solid. The Taco Bell Fire Sauce also works pretty well.  
 

I usually use leftover grass fed ground beef, fry an egg, brown the tortilla, and top it with grilled onions and peppers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

This is kinda blasphemous, but I use the hybrid tortillas when I'm making chicken enchiladas. The taste is similar and you don't have to heat them up in oil first. When making cheese enchiladas I still use yellow corn tortillas.

I use to subscribe to one of those meal delivery services (blue apron or hello fresh, I don't recall which one was the offender as we used both at different times).  Anyways, it was really easy when we were both working and some interesting meals showed up at the door step and got us out of the same meal routines.  Anyways, one time they sent us a enchilada recipe with flour tortillas and I cancelled them and never went back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I left this alone for awhile, but curiosity is getting the better of me:  since when did hybrid tortillas become a thing?  I rejected them out of hand when I first saw them on the shelves a few years back.  Is there any historical background or are they just what I figured, a stupid modern invention?

Try them, and then see if you call them stupid. 

I went from "WTF IS THIS" to "HELL YES" in no time flat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I generally prefer hybrid tortillas just after laying pipe. Just something about the binary flavors in an immediate post-coital world that pleases me.

 

Also, homeslice up above needs to lighten the fuck up on the cilantro. Little goes a long way.

Edited by Steel Shank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If you aren’t seasoning your scrambled eggs with chili powder, well I suggest you start. Little pinch of cumin is also recommended. 

🤮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

homeslice up above needs to lighten the fuck up on the cilantro. Little goes a long way.

My thoughts exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...