Check Out This Fucking Taco

luke duke

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

I have always overcooked my eggs and only in the past year have I begun to appreciate them undercooked.  

The day a man learns to cook his scrambled eggs over medium low heat, with lots of butter, is a life changing day.  Let curds form slowly, fold the eggs over gently so they cook through gently and slowly, and end up light and fluffy.  As opposed to the way most of us learned to cook -- "turn that heat up high, cook em fast cuz I'm hungry!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The day a man learns to cook his scrambled eggs over medium low heat, with lots of butter, is a life changing day.  Let curds form slowly, fold the eggs over gently so they cook through gently and slowly, and end up light and fluffy.  As opposed to the way most of us learned to cook -- "turn that heat up high, cook em fast cuz I'm hungry!"

My dad is a chef... i feel like all the other cooking knowledge I’ve gained is found money after learning that simple bit at a very early age. Feel bad for y’all that didn’t learn that til adulthood. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, luke duke said:

If sandwiches have their own thread, then tacos deserve one too.

Yesterday’s breakfast:

Corn/flour hybrid tortilla from Central Markup

Rice and beans that I made last weekend

Leftover brisket, also from last weekend

Scrambled egg

Cheese

Tabasco

c2c22579bfe3c782be5b205b64715853.jpg

Looks like you're just getting started...

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Js1 said:

Rice don’t belong in a breakfast taco 

other than that and the Tabasco, great job. 

I put leftover Mexican rice in my homemade migas tacos and it slams. Heat up crushed tortilla chips and Mexican rice in skillet until warm/hot add scrambled eggs shredded cheese and a couple spoonfuls of good salsa or pico if you have it.  Stir and cook until eggs are almost done and pull off pan den seeeves in warmed flour tortillas. Additional salsa or hot suace can be applied here.

You can mix it up too and use leftover queso instead of shredded cheese or add fresh diced onion and jalapeños with the chips and rice to sauté a bit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, Brisketexan said:

Nope.  Heat a generous blob of good olive oil on medium high heat, melt maybe a Tbsp of butter, wait until the oil shimmers and then dump the eggs & salt/pepper them well.  Wait a few seconds, do a fold, wait about the same amount of time, do another fold, maybe repeat 1-2 more times and remove.  Should take about 45 seconds max and they will be the greatest scrambled eggs in history.  Fast is not wrong, but you have to essentially fry them.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Nope.  Heat a generous blob of good olive oil on medium high heat, melt maybe a Tbsp of butter, wait until the oil shimmers and then dump the eggs & salt/pepper them well.  Wait a few seconds, do a fold, wait about the same amount of time, do another fold, maybe repeat 1-2 more times and remove.  Should take about 45 seconds max and they will be the greatest scrambled eggs in history.  Fast is not wrong, but you have to essentially fry them.

This?

https://youtu.be/PUP7U5vTMM0

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I'm sure those eggs taste great, but no, that's nothing like what I posted.  

Oh, I thought you said greatest scrambled eggs in history.

not really. I tried Gordon Ramsay’s way once and it was too much of a pain in the ass to be worth it.

Edited by bigcigar

I think it is less that it was learned late and more that it was just appreciated later.  I simply preferred the taste of eggs well done at a young age and never asked for anything different.  I remember sending back or just not eating runny, fried, or any non overcooked eggs. I only ate them if they were the consistency of an omelet.  A year or two back Wolfgang puck was making some eggs and I thought why not give it another go.  As with many other dishes, beside heat level, a few seconds can make all the difference.  That and simple seasoning.    

Edited by RollLeft

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

We're going to ruin this glorious leftover taco thread with another God damn exhausting scrambled egg debate. God damnit. 

Moving on to the beans.  I personally can't stand under salted beans that is the worst.  Then second worst is overly spiced beans.  The color of the beans in OP's taco looks right to me.  A bit of pepper and not reddish due to over spicing.   Rice looks a bit off but taste may tell a different story.

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, Brisketexan said:

This strategy also applies well to omelettes, imo.

I left this alone for awhile, but curiosity is getting the better of me:  since when did hybrid tortillas become a thing?  I rejected them out of hand when I first saw them on the shelves a few years back.  Is there any historical background or are they just what I figured, a stupid modern invention?

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

This is kinda blasphemous, but I use the hybrid tortillas when I'm making chicken enchiladas. The taste is similar and you don't have to heat them up in oil first. When making cheese enchiladas I still use yellow corn tortillas.

I use to subscribe to one of those meal delivery services (blue apron or hello fresh, I don't recall which one was the offender as we used both at different times).  Anyways, it was really easy when we were both working and some interesting meals showed up at the door step and got us out of the same meal routines.  Anyways, one time they sent us a enchilada recipe with flour tortillas and I cancelled them and never went back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I left this alone for awhile, but curiosity is getting the better of me:  since when did hybrid tortillas become a thing?  I rejected them out of hand when I first saw them on the shelves a few years back.  Is there any historical background or are they just what I figured, a stupid modern invention?

Try them, and then see if you call them stupid. 

I went from "WTF IS THIS" to "HELL YES" in no time flat. 

I generally prefer hybrid tortillas just after laying pipe. Just something about the binary flavors in an immediate post-coital world that pleases me.

Also, homeslice up above needs to lighten the fuck up on the cilantro. Little goes a long way.

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1