Check Out This Fucking Taco

luke duke

On 8/22/2020 at 5:30 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Nope.  Heat a generous blob of good olive oil on medium high heat, melt maybe a Tbsp of butter, wait until the oil shimmers and then dump the eggs & salt/pepper them well.  Wait a few seconds, do a fold, wait about the same amount of time, do another fold, maybe repeat 1-2 more times and remove.  Should take about 45 seconds max and they will be the greatest scrambled eggs in history.  Fast is not wrong, but you have to essentially fry them.

just adorable.  like a 5-year old with a stove. 

Don’t think scrambled eggs deserves it’s on thread, but I do the low and slow method.

Beat the eggs with a little cream and a pinch of salt. Heat skillet with olive oil if you want to be healthy, otherwise a thick slab of butter.

Pour eggs in skillet let it slowly cook until it won’t run too much when you fold. Gently fold towards the center counterclockwise, 2 rotations only. Too much and it’ll be overcooked. Ideally the center is still a little oozy. Perfection.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 5:07 PM, irishtexan said:

This is kinda blasphemous, but I use the hybrid tortillas when I'm making chicken enchiladas. The taste is similar and you don't have to heat them up in oil first. When making cheese enchiladas I still use yellow corn tortillas.

Me too.  They don't fall apart like straight corn tortillas do, but the taste is very similar.

47 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Anyone have a good carne guisada recipe they like? That looks so good, I’m making it.

1.  Go to HEB.

2.  Buy this: 

7df4cf6e18a0152cafbaf83ba6e448dd.jpeg

3.  Cook according to directions.

4.  Think about all the time you saved by not trying to make from scratch which wouldn't have been this tasty anyways.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

What in the actual fuck?  

This recipe has you grinding comino seeds and peppercorn with a pestle, BUT THEN HAS YOU USING CHILI POWDER??!?!

Holy hell, that's so wrong. 

Edited by Beau Vine

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

1.  Go to HEB.

2.  Buy this: 

4.  Think about all the time you saved by not trying to make from scratch which wouldn't have been this tasty anyways.

That's actually a really good shortcut meal, I ain't gonna lie.

You know what else that mix is good for?  A quick pot of chili.  Brown it, add some Bolner's quick chili mix and some tomato sauce, simmer for not that long, and it's a pretty good bowl of chili that you made start to finish in about 45 mins (the meat is really pre-tenderized, so you don't have to cook for long).  If you want chili and didn't plan ahead, it's a decent option.

2 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Here is what I used.

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2009/01/carne-guisada-tex-mex-stew.html

But none of that shit is important.  Whether you roll one recipe or the other or mi comida from HEB, the crucial component is homemade tortillas.  Takes only a little effort but the return is substantial. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Rice in a breakfast taco is like beans in chili....

This opinion is almost as bad as beans in chili.

If I'm making breakfast tacos from scratch, do I make rice for them?  Hell no.  Luke Duke didn't cook that brisket for his breakfast tacos, either.  Anatasis didn't cook CG for his.

Breakfast tacos are usually made from whatever is left over in the fridge from the night before.  If there's leftover rice, you're damn right it goes in the breakfast taco.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

If I'm making breakfast tacos from scratch, do I make rice for them?  Hell no.  Luke Duke didn't cook that brisket for his breakfast tacos, either.  Anatasis didn't cook CG for his.

Breakfast tacos are usually made from whatever is left over in the fridge from the night before.  If there's leftover rice, you're damn right it goes in the breakfast taco.  

No.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Gotta dig out my mom's -- it's my gold standard, but man, it's been a LONG time since I've made it.

Please please please little baby jesus please post it if it is the San Antonio/South Texas style.  There is nobody in Houston that knows how to make a proper Carne Guisada.

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

giphy.gif

Mama Brisket's guisada recipe, and it ain't complicated:

Venison - 1#

Flour, seasoned with salt and pepper

Garlic - 2-3 cloves, chopped

Onion - 1 large, chopped

Tomato - 2 regular or 3 roma

Beef flavored boullion - 2 cups (I use Knorr Swiss) this takes care of the salt, so no need to add more.

Amounts can be adjusted.

Cube the venison and toss in seasoned flour to lightly coat.  Brown in small amount of oil.  Add onion, and when the onion is transparent, add the garlic.  Stir for a couple of minutes.  Add chopped tomato.  Stir.  Add boullion.  Cover and simmer till tender.  you can add a chopped serrano in with the onion if you want, or just have some diced on the side to add as you prefer.

Man, this may be in my plans this week....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Hate said:

Please please please little baby jesus please post it if it is the San Antonio/South Texas style.  There is nobody in Houston that knows how to make a proper Carne Guisada.

brown 3 pounds of sirloin steak in oil (can also use round steak or boneless beef chuck shoulder)

3 tablespoons vegetable oil 
1 onion 
2 bell pepper 
2 cups water
3 tablespoons flour 
1 tablespoon garlic powder 
1 tablespoon cumin 
1/2 tablespoon of salt 
1/2 tablespoon pepper 
4 ounces tomato sauce 

or use a can of Hatch diced tomatoes & green chiles instead of tomato sauce, beer instead of water, and add about a tablespoon of beef base.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

If one didn’t have venison, would sirloin be the go to?

I would think that any cheap beef stew meat cut would work.  Chuck is usually good.

And mom doesn't put comino in hers.  It took me some getting used to in order to like guisada that other folks make with comino, but I do like it.  It's just different than mom's.

brown 3 pounds of sirloin steak in oil (can also use round steak or boneless beef chuck shoulder)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil 
1 onion 
2 bell pepper 
2 cups water
3 tablespoons flour 
1 tablespoon garlic powder 
1 tablespoon cumin 
1/2 tablespoon of salt 
1/2 tablespoon pepper 
4 ounces tomato sauce 
or use a can of Hatch diced tomatoes & green chiles instead of tomato sauce, beer instead of water, and add about a tablespoon of beef base.

That looks more like what I am used to being from San Antonio. Here in Houston, everyone makes it almost a soup with big chunks of potatoes and a lot of broth. It’s good, but it’s not carne guisada. I need the gravy to scoop up in a tortilla. I’m going to have to try this next weekend.

I also have this slow cooker recipe.

•1 1/2 or 2 pounds round steak, chuck roast, or similar meat 
•4 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
•2 tablespoons oil 
•1 large onion, chopped 
•1 cup chopped celery 
•3 or 4 jalapeños, stems and seeds removed, chopped 
•2-1/2 cups beef stock
•2 tablespoons tomato paste 
•1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 
•2 teaspoons chili powder 

Flour the meat and brown it on pretty high heat. 

Dump the browned meat in the crockpot with the remaining ingredients. Stir, and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours. 

** you can also skip 1 cup of beef stock and add a half cup of green tomatillo salsa.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, mycox said:

I also have this slow cooker recipe.

•2 teaspoons chili powder 

Come on, mang, do it right: 

https://www.mexicanplease.com/reconstitute-re-hydrate-dried-chili-peppers/

This is a hill I'm willing to die on -- for the life of me, I don't understand why people in Texas insist on using chili powder out of a jar.

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

1.  Go to HEB.

2.  Buy this: 

I have to laugh. I was digging through our deep freeze the other day and discovered I had a pack of this I had forgotten about.

Winner? Me.

On 8/23/2020 at 12:03 AM, RollLeft said:

I think it is less that it was learned late and more that it was just appreciated later.  I simply preferred the taste of eggs well done at a young age and never asked for anything different.  I remember sending back or just not eating runny, fried, or any non overcooked eggs. I only ate them if they were the consistency of an omelet.  A year or two back Wolfgang puck was making some eggs and I thought why not give it another go.  As with many other dishes, beside heat level, a few seconds can make all the difference.  That and simple seasoning.    

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I would think that any cheap beef stew meat cut would work.  Chuck is usually good.

And mom doesn't put comino in hers.  It took me some getting used to in order to like guisada that other folks make with comino, but I do like it.  It's just different than mom's.

Still trying wrap my head around guisada without cumin.