Hoarding

Anyone else have any hoarding tendencies? I find that I never want to throw boxes away. Whether I may need to return the shipment, or there could possibly be a future use for it. Regardless I'm sitting on too many gd boxes even though the city of Houston will take them every other week in the recycle bin.

and I know that the worst case scenario is that I have to go buy an inexpensive one from a box store. I don't understand why I do this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Anyone else have any hoarding tendencies? I find that I never want to throw boxes away. Whether I may need to return the shipment, or there could possibly be a future use for it. Regardless I'm sitting on too many gd boxes even though the city of Houston will take them every other week in the recycle bin.

and I know that the worst case scenario is that I have to go buy an inexpensive one from a box store. I don't understand why I do this.

spacer.png

I hoarded boxes for around four or five years. After every Amazon (or other) purchase, I'd collapse the box and toss it up in the attic. Then I got rid of them over a couple of years while recycling new, incoming boxes. Now I only keep boxes until the next recycling day. Since Amazon has gone to Kohl's drop-off for returns, no box needed, the lack of diverse boxes on hand hasn't bit me in the ass once.

I have the same problem.  Before Amazon and "online ordering lifestyle," it seemed like I was always wishing I had a box for something or the other.  Now I have boxes out the ass. Some are broken down and ready to be taken out, others still intact for the cats to play in or until possible returns have exhausted, with a couple in reserve for just general use.

4 hours ago, Apep said:

I hoarded boxes for around four or five years. After every Amazon (or other) purchase, I'd collapse the box and toss it up in the attic. Then I got rid of them over a couple of years while recycling new, incoming boxes. Now I only keep boxes until the next recycling day. Since Amazon has gone to Kohl's drop-off for returns, no box needed, the lack of diverse boxes on hand hasn't bit me in the ass once.

I thought that too with the lockers and whatnot, but my last return, they sent me to Whole Foods and I had to have a box and a label.

Off topic, but sort of in the same chapter. Where does one get rid of stuff? Lumbar from old projects. Outgrown clothes, still good but too tight. Those bolts and screws mentioned above. Half bottles of cleaning supplies. Stuff that still has some use...too good to just throw away, but I don't need it and I don't want to drive to a dozen places only to have them tell me "we don't take that".

6 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Off topic, but sort of in the same chapter. Where does one get rid of stuff? Lumbar from old projects. Outgrown clothes, still good but too tight. Those bolts and screws mentioned above. Half bottles of cleaning supplies. Stuff that still has some use...too good to just throw away, but I don't need it and I don't want to drive to a dozen places only to have them tell me "we don't take that".

There's this place called GoodWill. I've never actually been myself, but I've heard good things. You can probably find them in the yellow pages.

Check out the "free" listings on CL. Plenty of (other) hoarders want your stuff if you are willing to make a listing.

I hoard nuts, bolts, screws, nails, etc. I have probably two gallons of those fucking things. Maybe MAYBE once a year I'll need some odd screw or bolt or nut and after 20 mins of digging I'll find one that meets my needs.

That’s not hoarding. That’s called “being a man.” One of the great satisfactions in life is when something breaks, loses a part, etc...and you go digging in those coffee cans and find the perfect replacement bolt, screw, or whatever...that’s winning. It’s a solid punch on your man card.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Do you have kids? Cardboard can soak up a lot of blood

Edited by President Camacho

Screws go in the little bin boxes in the storage unit I have for just that sort of thing.

Pieces of lumber 24" or longer get sorted  into the wood rack for future use.  I've used boat loads of scrap over the years for small projects, blocking, repairs, etc.  

Paint gets labeled where it was used, and put in the paint rack.  That's come in handy as I'm getting the house ready to sell.

Original parts from my old Mustang get put on a parts rack in bins to sell to other folks who need those old parts for their project cars.

Tin foil gets layered up in the attic in the roof deck, to keep those radio wave beams out of course.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That’s not hoarding. That’s called “being a man.” One of the great satisfactions in life is when something breaks, loses a part, etc...and you go digging in those coffee cans and find the perfect replacement bolt, screw, or whatever...that’s winning. It’s a solid punch on your man card.

I have three generations of nuts and bolts.  I picked up my grandfather's tools and fasteners when he pass and my father's workbench with the tools and fasteners when he passed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep, that ain't remotely a blip on the radar screen of being a hoarder.

48 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I have three generations of nuts and bolts.  I picked up my grandfather's tools and fasteners when he pass and my father's workbench with the tools and fasteners when he passed. 

I inherited my great grandfathers power tools. He built all the frames, and racks for drill presses, a table saw, etc. They all look a bit like steampunkt, Rube Goldberg designs.  I have the drill press in my studios storefront window. It's pretty cool looking.

• Hook 'Em 1

Does computer shit count?

I've got my first computer from '95, along with a dozen or so I built afterwards.  And that's not counting the Apple desktops and laptops I started collecting in late 2009.

Or the countless adapters, cables, things, etc that are computer associated.  

I mean, it could be a collection...or it could be hoarding.  

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Does computer shit count?

I've got my first computer from '95, along with a dozen or so I built afterwards.  And that's not counting the Apple desktops and laptops I started collecting in late 2009.

Or the countless adapters, cables, things, etc that are computer associated.  

I mean, it could be a collection...or it could be hoarding.  

I'm hearing this as the lyrics to a computer version of "Devil's Right Hand."

23 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't understand why I do this.

You have attachment issues. One or both of your parents was probably a dick to you or completely absent.  You horde because you're sad and you're sad because you horde.  You've told us you are "Nice Guy" Eddie....projecting a pleasantness that has never existed in your life but you so desperately yearn for.  You're adrift in a sea of negative emotions and the material things you hold on to feel like an anchor to cling to.  

Or you have a paraphilia for cardboard....and that's cool too.

15 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You have attachment issues. One or both of your parents was probably a dick to you or completely absent.  You horde because you're sad and you're sad because you horde.  You've told us you are "Nice Guy" Eddie....projecting a pleasantness that has never existed in your life but you so desperately yearn for.  You're adrift in a sea of negative emotions and the material things you hold on to feel like an anchor to cling to.  

Or you have a paraphilia for cardboard....and that's cool too.

ha. actually nice guy eddie is a tarantino character that is anything but nice. But maybe there is something to read into that as well.

3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

My wife is also a box hoarder, and paper bags. Like the kind HEB gives you curbside.  We don’t need 100 folded paper bags in a box.  We’ll get more next week.  Recycle that shit!

When my MIL died, and my worthless FIL moved on and out, without doing a thing to clean out the house, the wife and I had to go do it.  From the attic, we pull down several full giant black hefty bags....each of them full of white plastic grocery bags.  Probably 15+ years worth of them.  Bag, after bag, after bag.  There were surely a couple thousand.

As a side note, do you know what happens to those bags when they are kept inside black plastic ovens in an un-air conditioned attic in SE Texas for a decade?

935374151897f152364935a2e811ca88.gif

They turn into plastic snow.  Bags full of fragmenting white particles.  Delightful.

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

& That's exactly why I'm manly proud of my Milwaukee collection, probably 25+ cordless including the badass rocket lights.  Having the right tool to actually get shit done when you need to is quite satisfying.

Now, like NotThatBob & Onboard with the scrap lumber bits, I always say to myself "I damn sure can find something to do with that!" & don't toss some bits here & there.  A few years ago I made these little tank looking things out of cut pieces of PT 2x & 4x material.  Used the table saw to trim out between where the "tracks" are & put in small cuts to show treads... then the drill press for holes where small dowels went in as the barrel.  My son sold them as part of an entrepreneurship thing they do every year in the elementary school.  Totally unique & he sold something like 30 of them.  Kept me busy & it fed into the "YES.... Yes, you SHOULD keep all this crap.  It DOES have a use!"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When my MIL died, and my worthless FIL moved on and out, without doing a thing to clean out the house, the wife and I had to go do it.  From the attic, we pull down several full giant black hefty bags....each of them full of white plastic grocery bags.  Probably 15+ years worth of them.  Bag, after bag, after bag.  There were surely a couple thousand.

As a side note, do you know what happens to those bags when they are kept inside black plastic ovens in an un-air conditioned attic in SE Texas for a decade?

935374151897f152364935a2e811ca88.gif

They turn into plastic snow.  Bags full of fragmenting white particles.  Delightful.

Do you even shop vac, bro?

My 1st wife's grandmother was a Depression era kid & she was also a hoarder for specific things.  The entire house looked like the contents of 5 Hallmark stores were crammed inside her 1,800 sq. ft. home.  Every conceivable curio & collectable & figurine you can imagine.

She was also into stuff from fast food joints:
 - Wendy's?  "They have the best wax paper cups.  Very sturdy.  We have to keep those.  Never know when you'll need some extra for a guest or whatever."
 - McDonald's?  "Yes, those salt & pepper shakers on the table - you're allowed to take those.  Why wouldn't I?  So what if we already have 140 of them?"
 - Burger King?  "The paper from their wrappers clean up nice.  We can use that later, I just know I will have a use for them."

Then, one day... the husband decided to get a membership @ the price club (don't know which one).  Didn't take long, but their garage had enough practically palletized shit tickets that it could have solved the 2020 Corona Crisis & stacks upon stacks of paper towels - Trump could have been flicking rolls of paper towels to Puerto Ricans for 3 solid months.

Took the advice (that I already knew) and broke down/tossed out many boxes today. Will fill up the recycle container in the upcoming weeks.

20 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

I would just throw a bunch of this in the trash can. Sure there is some use out it, but you’re going to spend too much time trying to find a home for your junk. 

I inherited my great grandfathers power tools. He built all the frames, and racks for drill presses, a table saw, etc. They all look a bit like steampunkt, Rube Goldberg designs.  I have the drill press in my studios storefront window. It's pretty cool looking.

The pics aren’t showing up.