2021 QB Charles Wright

LTtxfan

Don't think I've ever read the sentence "He varies his arm angle in those situations when needed" in regards to a qb.  It's filler and Gabe Brooks should be ashamed for writing it.    That being said, Hook'em C Wright, and welcome to the most powerful university in the Lonestar State.  

33 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Don't think I've ever read the sentence "He varies his arm angle in those situations when needed" in regards to a qb.  It's filler and Gabe Brooks should be ashamed for writing it.    That being said, Hook'em C Wright, and welcome to the most powerful university in the Lonestar State.  

Yeah. Just say he has a nice touch on the ball. We all know what it means. 

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Do you live under a rock? It's been talked about frequently regarding Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, and back to Favre.

Now Wright is not close to their league as a prospect but this comment is weird. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Do you live under a rock? It's been talked about frequently regarding Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, and back to Favre.

Now Wright is not close to their league as a prospect but this comment is weird. 

Agreed. He’s a better prospect. Think about the ceiling for a Westlake QB, probably Drew Brees, he’s a historically accurate passer who makes every team he is on a winner. Now look at Wright, an Austin High QB playing high level football, a previously unheard of feat. Using the baseline assumption that Austin High >>> Westlake we can assume that Wright will be better then Brees. So good luck to Milroe but we’ve got NFL Drew Brees as a freshman. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The phrase is "He adjusts his throwing motion."   But if "He varies his arm angle in those situations when needed" works for you, then that's their audience target I guess. 

10 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

Looks like the third McCoy brother.

8 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

6 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

The phrase is "He adjusts his throwing motion."   But if "He varies his arm angle in those situations when needed" works for you, then that's their audience target I guess. 

You should just stop because you really have no clue what you’re talking about. 

No one says adjust his throwing motion. Varying arm or release angle is what a lot of scouts and professionals say and there’s no problem with pointing it out when evaluating a prospect. It’s a valuable trait and a skill that scouts look for in QBs. 

10 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

This is incorrect unless I have a cousin I don't know about.

So no relation?  That he goes by "Charles" and not Chad or Chaz or Chuck or Charlie was what kind of moved me in that direction initially, and, at least to me, he looks quite a bit like the Professor.

And for those who are unaware, Charles Alan Wright, in addition to being one of the greatest legal scholars and Supreme Court advocates of his time, was football-obsessed.  He "coached" and managed the Legal Eagles IM football team, who were perennial contenders for the IM championship.

So, it made sense in a lot of ways.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

lulz

The throwing motion involves a lot more than arm angle. You're out of your depth, which should be frightening for you considering football isn't exactly a deep subject.

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So no relation?  That he goes by "Charles" and not Chad or Chaz or Chuck or Charlie was what kind of moved me in that direction initially, and, at least to me, he looks quite a bit like the Professor.

And for those who are unaware, Charles Alan Wright, in addition to being one of the greatest legal scholars and Supreme Court advocates of his time, was football-obsessed.  He "coached" and managed the Legal Eagles IM football team, who were perennial contenders for the IM championship.

Yeah I can see why anyone might think there was connection. And I do see some resemblance in the kid's face, but it's purely coincidental.

My brother on the other hand definitely got some of CAW's physical traits. And we both got the football obsession!

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

He pulled a total Chad move by committing here, so...

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

The throwing motion involves a lot more than arm angle. You're out of your depth, which should be frightening for you considering football isn't exactly a deep subject.

When Ewers throws a sick sidearm pass, he adjusted his throwing motion (which includes velocity) because of course he did.  Sounds weird to say he varied his arm angle to sidearm the pass.  And there's no need to say when needed. It sounds like a robot is typing.  "He varies his arm angle in those situations when needed" just sounds clunky.  

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You should just stop because you really have no clue what you’re talking about. 

No one says adjust his throwing motion. Varying arm or release angle is what a lot of scouts and professionals say and there’s no problem with pointing it out when evaluating a prospect. It’s a valuable trait and a skill that scouts look for in QBs. 

Perfect--just say that.  Varying arm or release angles.  It's short and succinct.  Drunk MDhorn was just looking for a better way to say it.  

Edited by Mdhorn

17 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

This is incorrect unless I have a cousin I don't know about.

Yeah, did some additional checking and am now advised he is *not* related to CAW.  My apologies for the previous incorrect information.  His grandfather coached in East Texas, but did not teach at the Law School. 

16 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

so like a poor man's Patrick Mahomes, amiright?

os2ie9lqeu5e3qtibudm 

Longhorns add QB commitment from Charles Wright

Jason Suchomel • Orangebloods. Senior Editor.  @OB_JasonS

What a week of quarterback recruiting it’s been for the Texas Longhorns. In the span of six days, the Longhorns have gained a 2022 quarterback commitment and essentially swapped out their 2021 quarterback commitment with a new player.

Early last week, Jalen Milroe flipped his commitment to Alabama and the Texas staff wasted no time in finding his replacement. On Saturday afternoon, Austin High product  Charles Wright announced on Twitter that he had flipped his commitment from Iowa State to Texas. He becomes the only quarterback in the Longhorns’ 2021 class.

“After a lot of prayer and talking to my parents I’ve decided to decommit from Iowa State University,” Wright said on Twitter. “With that being said I will be continuing my academic and athletic career at The University of Texas.”

A 6-1, 187-pounder, Wright had been committed to Iowa State since February but things moved quickly with him and Texas this week. Offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich reached out to Wright on Thursday evening and when an offer was extended on Saturday, Wright committed immediately.

“I want to thank coach (Tom) Herman and coach Yurcich for their belief in me as a player and person. It’s been a lifelong dream of mine to be a Longhorn and I’m extremely excited to start this new chapter in my life.”

Wright becomes the Longhorns’ 17th commitment in the 2021 class. He’s expected to be the only quarterback Texas will take after the Longhorns signed two in the 2020 class.

Hudl Highlights from Junior year:  https://texas.rivals.com/news/longhorns-add-qb-commitment-from-charles-wright

Edited by LTtxfan

On 8/23/2020 at 3:27 PM, Mdhorn said:

When Ewers throws a sick sidearm pass, he adjusted his throwing motion (which includes velocity) because of course he did.  Sounds weird to say he varied his arm angle to sidearm the pass.  And there's no need to say when needed. It sounds like a robot is typing.  "He varies his arm angle in those situations when needed" just sounds clunky.  

Perfect--just say that.  Varying arm or release angles.  It's short and succinct.  Drunk MDhorn was just looking for a better way to say it.  

He reminds me of Tom Brady. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...