Albums with no bad songs

capnamerca

INXS*  Kick

Depeche* Mode Violator

The Cars* The Cars

Styx* Grand Illusion

Van Halen* 1984

Not every song on these was a Top 100 single, but they also didn't have "shitty ass, fast forward through that bullshit" songs either.

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

INXS*  Kick

Depeche* Mode Violator

The Cars* The Cars

Styx* Grand Illusion

Van Halen* 1984

Not every song on these was a Top 100 single, but they also didn't have "shitty ass, fast forward through that bullshit" songs either.

Exactly what I was going for. Your tastes trend more towards prog-rock than mine, but I can certainly see the "fun quality" in these albums. 1984 is just a rocker, front to back.

I will unabashedly post my thoughts.

Michael Jackson- Thriller - 7 of the 9 songs released and were all 7 were top 10 hits. Listened to this on family vacation drives to Red River NM, California and Corpus Christi.

1. "The Girl Is Mine"
    Released: October 18, 1982
  2. "Billie Jean"
    Released: January 2, 1983
  3. "Beat It"
    Released: February 14, 1983
  4. "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
    Released: May 8, 1983
  5. "Human Nature"
    Released: July 3, 1983
  6. "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"
    Released: September 19, 1983
  7. "Thriller"
    Released: November 2, 1983 (U.K.) January 23, 1984 (U.S.) [1]

Def Leppard - Hysteria - 7 of the 12 songs released and were hits. Mowed lawns to this. Liked every song. Gods of War, Run Riot, and Dont Shoot Shotgun were awesome too.

1. "Animal"
    Released: July 1987 (UK)
    September 1987 (US)
  2. "Women"
    Released: August 1987 (US, Canada and Australia)
  3. "Pour Some Sugar on Me"
    Released: 8 September 1987 (UK)
    16 April 1988 (US)
  4. "Hysteria"
    Released: November 1987 (UK)
    January 1988 (US)
  5. "Armageddon It"
    Released: March 1988 (UK)
    November 1988 (US)
  6. "Love Bites"
    Released: July 1988 (UK)
    August 1988 (US)
  7. "Rocket"
    Released: January 1989 (UK, US)

• Hook 'Em 2

Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

IMO Blue Highway was the best track behind Eyes without a Face.
Daytime Drama probably weakest link but still a great listen start to finish. Fight me.

Rebel Yell
Daytime Drama
Eyes Without A Face
Blue Highway
Flesh For Fantasy
Catch My Fall
Crank Call
(Do Not) Stand In The Shadows
The Dead Next Door

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Murmur is a good call. As is Reckoning. 

Regarding Full Moon Fever, I love it straight through as well but Tom Petty said Zombie Zoo is one of the worst songs he's ever recorded. Sort of soured me on that song since then. 

For me it's Damn the Torpeoes, and it's not even close.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Lobo said:

You pick "Achtung Baby" over "Joshua Tree"?  ... But as an album, it has serious, serious holes.  The second half of that record is damn solid but it relies exclusively on "Mysterious Ways" and "trying to throw your arms around the world."  I still love both tracks, but it quickly falls to pieces beyond those to two songs, it's an overall "Above-Average" back-half of an album.....  , but this is not "best overall albums"...this is "no bad songs-straight thru). 

Opinions differ, no problem.  I responded to the OP: there are no bad songs on Achtung Baby.  The best songs are fucking FANTASTIC, but the rest of the bunch are also good.  The back half also has Ultra Violet (fantastic), Acrobat (good) and Love is Blindness (okay).

I looked over Joshua Tree.  Yeah I'd say there are no 'bad' songs on that album also, a couple on the cusp IMO.  I just prefer the edge of Achtung Baby.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

Daytime Drama probably weakest link but still a great listen start to finish. Fight me.

Rebel Yell
Daytime Drama
Eyes Without A Face
Blue Highway
Flesh For Fantasy
Catch My Fall
Crank Call
The Dead Next Door

This is a good call.  I fucking love the Dead Next Door.  Really haunting and unexpected for a Billy Idol tune.

All your early 90s great albums say happy birthday to your Godfather.  After it's release record labels started to scoop up as many alt acts as they could find.  Ritual turned 30 last Friday.  

RITUALS-DE-LO-HABITUAL-1052-X592-REVISED

1. "Stop!" 4:14
2. "No One's Leaving" 3:01
3. "Ain't No Right" 3:34
4. "Obvious" 5:55
5. "Been Caught Stealing" 3:34
6. "Three Days" 10:48
7. "Then She Did ..." 8:18
8. "Of Course" 7:02
9. "Classic Girl"
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

Rebel Yell
Daytime Drama
Eyes Without A Face
Blue Highway
Flesh For Fantasy
Catch My Fall
Crank Call
The Dead Next Door

The last two cuts on this album are as strong as anything that got all of the airplay...

2 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

All your early 90s great albums say happy birthday to your Godfather.  After it's release record labels started to scoop up as many alt acts as they could find.  Ritual turned 30 last Friday.  

RITUALS-DE-LO-HABITUAL-1052-X592-REVISED

1. "Stop!" 4:14
2. "No One's Leaving" 3:01
3. "Ain't No Right" 3:34
4. "Obvious" 5:55
5. "Been Caught Stealing" 3:34
6. "Three Days" 10:48
7. "Then She Did ..." 8:18
8. "Of Course" 7:02
9. "Classic Girl"

Goddamn right. Nothing's Shocking as well. I can't believe I forgot to put JA on my list. 

I'll echo michael Jackson's thriller. 

Iron maiden picked and chose good songs on Powerslave and somewhere in time. Guess when you only have 8 you don't clutter with filler. But I'm a huge maiden fan so my bias is evident. 

Same could be said for ride the lightening and master of puppets. Not a song that I won't listen to. 

• Like 1

Really?  We can take this to the Dead thread.  I am inclined to agree with you that American Beauty is not a straight-thru-listen album, in that "Operator" sucks.  On it's best day, if I'm drunk, it's a C-.  But "Til the Morning Comes" suits its purpose.  It also provides a harmony base, that stars with Workingman's Dead that continues for decades with the Dead.  If a song isn't good on an album, but begins a foundation for future works (much like my "thank you" diatribe on Zeppelin upthread)...then you gotta give it a pass.  "Operator" was a one-off attempt at something different and it failed.  So that's probably why I didn't list "American Beauty" among my "Straight-Thru" album list.  Maybe I need to meet more Deadheads in my old age, just never heard anyone that thought Workingman's was a better straight listen than American Beauty.  And these are important debates because all their great "studio album" work comes from '69-'89.  To each his own when it comes to live shows.  But most of the hierarchy of the studio albums,  I thought, was settled science.  But I love to revisit this shit.  Onward...through the fog

Edited by Lobo

Also, I'm just gonna say it.  "Easy Wind" is not a good song.  But yes, it's a toss-up..."Workingman's Blues" is probably just as "listen-all-the-way-thru" worthy as "American Beauty" as I contemplate it on a Wednesday morning.  I'l call it a toss-up, and am willing to learn.  I'll just give a slight uptick vote to "American Beauty" for better overall album. And that's the Beauty...of the Dead.  

Edited by Lobo

Many of the obvious ones have already been named, but here’s a few on my list that haven’t been mentioned yet:

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Jason Isbell - Southeastern 

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Tinderbox 

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

Rush - Moving Pictures

Some of these are debatable, I’m sure, but these are a few albums I listen to with no song skips.

Forgot this one:

220px-Bob_Dylan_-_Blood_on_the_Tracks.jp

1."Tangled Up in Blue"

2."Simple Twist of Fate"

3."You're a Big Girl Now"

4."Idiot Wind"

5."You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go"

1."Meet Me in the Morning"

2."Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts"

3."If You See Her, Say Hello"

4."Shelter from the Storm"

5."Buckets of Rain"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

PJ - Ten, Vs., No Code, Binaural (Vitalogy and Yield had some weird throwaway tracks or they'd be on there too)

MMJ - Tennessee Fire, It Still Moves

Ween - The Mollusk, White Pepper

Lucero - Tennessee

DBT - The Dirty South

Josh Ritter - The Beast in its Tracks

Son Volt - Trace

Slobberbone - Crow Pot Pie, Barrel Chested

Cordovas - Cordovas

Sturgill - Metamodern

• Hook 'Em 2

Kinks - We are the Village Green Preservation Society

Who - Quadrophenia

The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

UB40 - Signing Off

Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out the Lights

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Townes - Live at the Old Quarter

Guy Clark - Old No. 1

Lyle Lovett - Pontiac

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

One of my all time favorites.  But I skip "Super 8" every single time.   

I love Super 8.  The last vestige of "Jason Isbell: Rock God" to ever be recorded in the studio.

Yvette and New South Wales are almost always skippers for me on Southeastern.  Yvette has a good story, but it's a beating musically.  I don't like Different Days much either.  Sometimes I let them play through to see if I like them more, but I usually don't.

I didn't like Relatively Easy for a long time, but in the past year or so it's become one of my favorites on the album, and kind of a perfect closer.

On 8/24/2020 at 8:34 AM, CooterBrown said:

This album may be one song too long but it's a worthy contender for the list.

EDIT:  Just realized that Spotify adds a 12th track that didn't appear on the actual release.  It is perfect since the 12th track, Turning of the Tide, would be the one I would drop. 

Bob_Mould_-_Black_Sheets_Of_Rain_(1990).

Funny. to each his own. i love, love, Bob Mould (user name checks out), but i find this album a depressing hookless slog (with the exception of It's Too Late, which is one of Bob's better songs).

+ rep to you for the post!

On 8/24/2020 at 10:51 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

REM: Murmur

Stones: Sticky Fingers / Let It Bleed

Aerosmith: Get  Your Wings

Paul Westerberg: 14 Songs

Cracker: Kerosene Hat

Hell yes - R.E.M. Murmur

This one is out of left field, but..

The Church - Heyday - love every song on that album. It's crazy how good it is. Every song is a 3:30 pop laden, jingly, jangly, hooky gem with catchy choruses & restrained flourishes of horns, strings, and other instrumentation.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

"Get Your Wings"?  As an all-time "all-the-way-thru" with no bad songs record?  

Did I miss a meeting?  There's more forgettable moments on that album than Bill Cosby's last casting call.  

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

Bold choice citing a double album with no clunkers!

Side 4 i find hard to get though.

Side 2 is flawless.

Said no bad songs. Side 4 songs may not be as great as the ones on the first 3, but they aren't bad. 

"Full Moon Fever" is an incredibly important album to me.  It was the first album I purchased with my own money.  I know every note on it.
But I still skip "Alright For Now" and "A Face in the Crowd".  "

Running Down a Dream and Free Falling hooked me in. But Face in the Crowd kept me there. Great memories surround that album for me, good call.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Okay, I'm too old. I get it.  You pick "Achtung Baby" over "Joshua Tree"?  Achtung Baby still carried on a brilliant legacy and was the foundation for a gamechanging tour I got to see a few times.  But as an album, it has serious, serious holes.  The second half of that record is damn solid but it relies exclusively on "Mysterious Ways" and "trying to throw your arms around the world."  I still love both tracks, but it quickly falls to pieces beyond those to two songs, it's an overall "Above-Average" back-half of an album.  Helped only by over-production and great execution for those of us all that saw it performed live.  Overall, it's a brilliant record, that in some ways holds up as well as "Joshua Tree", but this is not "best overall albums"...this is "no bad songs-straight thru).  "Achtung Baby" has more than it's share of speed-bumps, but to be fair---perhaps they stick out of the ground because the great tracks are so damn fun.  

On the other hand I can’t think of a bad song on that AB album. It’s fantastic . The ensuing tour didn’t hurt either .