Albums with no bad songs

capnamerca

The lyrics are pretty clearly her’s on both albums.  I doubt Kurt Cobain was writing songs about rape and body image issues. 

But, yeah, you can hear both of them in the arrangements. And Malibu for sure is definitely a joint, and I believe credited as such now. Having said that, the myth that the band didn’t write the bulk of the lyrics and Billy Corgan and Kurt Cobain, two musicians notorious for refusing to share writing credits simply gave away a full album of work each is, well, stupid.

Edited by Bateshorn

On 9/2/2020 at 6:18 PM, Lobo said:

^ztejas
Great pick.  Goes back to my rant on "Physical Graffiti."  Just comes down to volume.  You can take the best 10 tracks on either album and have one of the all-time great rock LP's of all time.  As it stands, they are single-issue, full release albums and you must take them as they are.  As such, "Exile" is not a wondrous and straight-thru record, it's just not.  But take the top 10 songs on it, and it creeps into legend status, cementing itself among the all-time greats.  Thus, the risk of the double-album.  But bands did those for a reason back then.  I doubt we'll ever see one again.  Exile is still a great record, just a few weak points.  I stand by "Let if Bleed" for straight on 'til morning.  

I guess, we should get around to debating which "Who" record is best on thru?  

Shoot up some smack, put headphones on, listen to Exile. Get back to me. 

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't think it ages well. It's also extremely derivative. Then again, I don't think Nirvana ages particularly well. 

Well, you could argue that Nirvana was extremely derivative of the Pixies, so imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery.   I think Live Trough This has aged the best of all the grunge era albums, but YMMV.

10 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

The lyrics are pretty clearly her’s on both albums.  I doubt Kurt Cobain was writing songs about rape and body image issues. 

But, yeah, you can hear both of them in the arrangements. And Malibu for sure is definitely a joint, and I believe credited as such now. Having said that, the myth that the band didn’t write the bulk of the lyrics and Billy Corgan and Kurt Cobain, two musicians notorious for refusing to share writing credits simply gave away a full album of work each is, well, stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wait, Kurt Cobain wrote dark music?  I stand corrected.

The difference in the lyrics of Nirvana and Hole is so stark that it's sort of hard for me to believe some of you have actually listened to Live Through This and instead have taken "durrrr....Courtney killed Kurt!!!"  as a default position.

Asking for it is one of the songs with a Cobain singing credit, despite the fact the lyrics had been showing up in various forms of Hole shows as early as 1991, and the producers during the session have gone on the record saying Cobain was totally unfamiliar with the lyrics during the sole recording session and had to be coached.

Every time that I sell myself to you
I feel a little bit cheaper than I need to
I will tear the petals off of you
Rose red, I will make you tell the truth
Was she asking for it?
Was she asking nice?
If she was asking for it
Did she ask you twice?
Every time that I stare into the sun
Angel dust and my dress just comes undone
Every time that I stare into the sun
Be a model or just look like one
Wild eye rot gut do me in
Do you think you can make me do it again?
Was she asking for it?
Was she asking nice?
If she was asking for it
Did she ask you twice?
If you live through this with me
I swear that I would die for

This is such a tiresome debate:  Cobain couldn't bear to share writing credits with his own fucking band, and yet he just wrote an album for his wife's band, and didn't even ask for a joint credit? Give me a break.

Which one of you is going to go over to PCL and start a "Truman Capote wrote To Kill A Mockingbird" thread?

Again:  You can acknowledge the greatness of Live Through This while also accepting that Courtney Love couldn't arrange herself out of a wet paper sack (and is also total mess of a human being). The two (three) things can be true.

Edited by Bateshorn

27 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not a Hole songwriting truther, I'm just saying there's plenty of overlap in themes.  

I’m not saying Hole isn’t heavily influenced by the men in Courtney Love’s life or her producers (Kim Gordon’s hands are all over their first album). I’m just saying the “Kurt wrote Live Through This” is bullshit.  It’s also possible that Courtney was influencing Kurt’s song writing.  

There is a long history of female artists of all varieties being discounted because supposedly a man behind the scenes was the real creative genius.  

Also, Polly is about a serial killer.

Edited by Bateshorn

11 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I’m not saying Hole isn’t heavily influenced by the men in Courtney Love’s life or her producers (Kim Gordon’s hands are all over their first album). I’m just saying the “Kurt wrote Live Through This” is bullshit.  It’s also possible that Courtney was influencing Kurt’s song writing.  

There is a long history of female artists of all varieties being discounted because supposedly a man behind the scenes was the real creative genius.  

Also, Polly is about a serial killer.

I figured the killer is also raping his kidnapped victim

"Polly wants a cracker, I think I should get off her first"

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I figured the killer is also raping his kidnapped victim

"Polly wants a cracker, I think I should get off her first"

Look, we’re thread shitting at this point. I’ll just say I found the Polly analogy weak, given the personal nature of Hole’s discography about misogyny and sexual violence.

I would urge some folks on this thread to give Live Through This another look. 

I’m out. 

On 9/23/2020 at 3:58 PM, utee94 said:

I've always found all of The Outfield Play Deep to be very listenable.  "Taking My Chances" is probably the weakest song, but it's not a bad song.  

Play_Deep_cover.jpg

The Outfield are fucking awesome. They are underrated and a casualty of the 80s. As someone that is too young to have been listening to music when they were coming out I find them really underappreciated and undiscovered by a lot of people. 

Off of a different album but this track is awesome:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I remember thinking when that album came out these guys may be from Seattle but this isn’t grunge. It’s just awesome.

They sort of took care of that with Vitalogy; lord what a weird album. Still a difficult one for me to get into, and I wore the FUCK out of Ten and Vs. (Ten is what inspired this thread).

Beatles - Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour

Wings - Band on the Run

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

David Bowie - Hunky Dory, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Captain Fantastic and the Dirt Brown Cowboy

Weezer - Blue Album, Pinkerton

Phish - Junta, Hoist, Billy Breathes, Story of the Ghost

Radiohead - The Bends, Ok Computer, Kid A, In Rainbows

Oasis - (What's the Story?) Morning Glory, Be Here Now

Ween - The Mollusk, 12 Golden Country Hits, 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Beatles - Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour

Wings - Band on the Run

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

David Bowie - Hunky Dory, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Captain Fantastic and the Dirt Brown Cowboy

Weezer - Blue Album, Pinkerton

Phish - Junta, Hoist, Billy Breathes, Story of the Ghost

Radiohead - The Bends, Ok Computer, Kid A, In Rainbows

Oasis - (What's the Story?) Morning Glory, Be Here Now

Ween - The Mollusk, 12 Golden Country Hits, 

Fucking love Hunky Dory....

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What's your problem with Meddle and Animals? Also, while The Wall is arguably the greatest concept album of all time, it's hard to call Vera and Bring The Boys Back Home good songs. They're tolerable. The album as a whole is freaking brilliant but those two songs are a bathroom break. 

• Hook 'Em 1

They sort of took care of that with Vitalogy; lord what a weird album. Still a difficult one for me to get into, and I wore the FUCK out of Ten and Vs. (Ten is what inspired this thread).

Vitalogy is Pearl Jam’s best album. If you remove the weird tracks, the actual songs are incredible. And I like the weird tracks in the context of the album as a whole.

Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger are both pretty damn great beginning to end. Nevermind is great but I like Bleach a bit better. 

Bleach shows a lot of potential but sounds thin and tinny. It’s definitely the Nirvana weak link.

Possibly the biggest difference is the drumming. What Dave Grohl did to Nirvana’s sounds is immeasurable. Bleach shows that Kurt knew how to write great songs, and putting Grohl in the mix shot them to the freaking stratosphere.

• Hook 'Em 1

way too many that i'll listen through their entirety, but here are the first dozen that come to mind:

• arcade fire - funeral
  • the cure - disintegration
  • depeche mode - 101
  • jane's addition - nothing's shocking
  • the judy's - washarama
  • new order - technique
  • pixies - come on pilgrim, surfer rosa, doolittle
  • pop will eat itself - the looks or the lifestyle?
  • revolting cocks - big sexy land
  • violent femmes - violent femmes 
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Vitalogy is Pearl Jam’s best album. If you remove the weird tracks, the actual songs are incredible. And I like the weird tracks in the context of the album as a whole.

oh. You're one of THOSE PJ fans.

(lol ... takes all kinds, even the ones that like foxymophandlemoma and bugs. Immortality and STBC are both a fucking JAM, tho.)

oh. You're one of THOSE PJ fans.

(lol ... takes all kinds, even the ones that like foxymophandlemoma and bugs. Immortality and STBC are both a fucking JAM, tho.)

Card carrying member.

But seriously, among the “real” songs there isn’t a single skipper. Every single one of them kicks ass. I know a lot of people that don’t like Satan’s Bed or Whipping, but they’re wrong.

28 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Card carrying member.

But seriously, among the “real” songs there isn’t a single skipper. Every single one of them kicks ass. I know a lot of people that don’t like Satan’s Bed or Whipping, but they’re wrong.

It would have made a great EP, but having it be Eddies wine-fueled playground turned me off. I definitely agree that the 'real' songs are all awesome, I just transparently prefer both guitars present in the mix, and a solo or two every now and again.

I couldn't get enough of the opening to Brain of J when it dropped. That was a return to greatness (I realize that skips a shitpile of time, I'm not saying everything between the two sucked ... BoJ is just a great example of what I like out of PJ).

Edited by capnamerca