Greenhouse monitoring

Goredho

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but we're building one of these here geodesic dome greenhouses this year on our property in Colorado.

GrowingSpacesUniqueDesign.jpg

Its got a pond in it to provide thermal mass as well as a solar-powered fan circulating air underground as an earthy battery.  Anyway, I want to track the environment inside the greenhouse, outside the greenhouse and in the pond over time.  So something like every 15 minutes or so, a sample is taken of:

• Ambient air temperature outside the greenhouse
  • Ambient air temperature inside the greenhouse
  • Humidity within the greenhouse
  • Temperature within the pond
  • Sunny or not sunny

I want to store data for multiple years and I'd like to be able to view the data in a timeseries graph on my home computer, my phone, whatever.  I'd also like to be able to be alerted if any of the above metrics fall outside of a certain acceptable range.  Also, it needs to be either low-draw (powerable by solar) or battery powered.

I've found some products that offer parts of the above, but nothing that offers it all or a way to cross-reference data collected from different products.  Anyone know of anything that might offer most if not all of the above in a way where I can look at all the data in a unified way?

If I can't get close to what I want, I am probably looking at a hacking project with a raspberry pi outfitted with the sensors that it would need to collect the samples, uploading them to AWS, sucking it into Elasticsearch and visualizing with Kibana and alerting with something like pagerduty.  Anyone know if raspberry pi can be outfitted with an air thermometer, air hygrometer, water thermometer and something photovoltaic to determine at a point in time if its "sunny" or not?

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...
On 4/17/2018 at 7:10 PM, Goredho said:

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but we're building one of these here geodesic dome greenhouses this year on our property in Colorado.

GrowingSpacesUniqueDesign.jpg

Its got a pond in it to provide thermal mass as well as a solar-powered fan circulating air underground as an earthy battery.  Anyway, I want to track the environment inside the greenhouse, outside the greenhouse and in the pond over time.  So something like every 15 minutes or so, a sample is taken of:

• Ambient air temperature outside the greenhouse
  • Ambient air temperature inside the greenhouse
  • Humidity within the greenhouse
  • Temperature within the pond
  • Sunny or not sunny

I want to store data for multiple years and I'd like to be able to view the data in a timeseries graph on my home computer, my phone, whatever.  I'd also like to be able to be alerted if any of the above metrics fall outside of a certain acceptable range.  Also, it needs to be either low-draw (powerable by solar) or battery powered.

I've found some products that offer parts of the above, but nothing that offers it all or a way to cross-reference data collected from different products.  Anyone know of anything that might offer most if not all of the above in a way where I can look at all the data in a unified way?

If I can't get close to what I want, I am probably looking at a hacking project with a raspberry pi outfitted with the sensors that it would need to collect the samples, uploading them to AWS, sucking it into Elasticsearch and visualizing with Kibana and alerting with something like pagerduty.  Anyone know if raspberry pi can be outfitted with an air thermometer, air hygrometer, water thermometer and something photovoltaic to determine at a point in time if its "sunny" or not?

How did the weed dome turn out?

• Haha 1