Six Flags 1965

Mileslong

It's a poor man's Disneyland (even down to most of the rides being Disneyland rip offs) but there was no better place to go as a kid except for maybe White Water in Grand Prairie. From that video, I think only the Log Flume and car ride are still there. Spelunkers Cave is still there but a shell of what it used to be. I think the Roaring Rapids replaced the Cotton boat ride. Six Flags before the WB takeover in the 90s>Six Flags of today

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

It's a poor man's Disneyland (even down to most of the rides being Disneyland rip offs) but there was no better place to go as a kid except for maybe White Water in Grand Prairie.

As a kid from when SF opened, there was no equal. Lion Country Safari was the only other attraction in Arlington/Grand Prairie. Seven Seas opened a few years later, but never took off. Errybody went to Six Flags and errybody got a Six Flags bumper sticker. It quickly became a right of passage. 

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

da65a2d4d00d6e4da9dbab9d37ecd3f0.jpg

arlington seems to have a history of trying to lure people there from Dallas and ft worth along the turnpike. 

It was really odd that for years the DPS Center to get title copies was at the I-30 Center in Arlington.

I remember being fascinated by the Spindletop, where people lined up against the wall in a circular room.  The room started rotating and the centrifugal  force kept you pinned to the wall as the floor dropped several feet.

The second time I did it a few years later I almost blew beets.  No more Spindletop for young Matuka.

• Hook 'Em 1

I only went to 6 flags as a kid when it was a school function and a few times when a family member would have a company day out there and I went with them I loved that shit. I still enjoy rollercoasters and go a few times a year. 

Always enjoyed hearing the old stories about 6 flags. I think my older cousins favorite ride was the Spinnaker (sp?) He always talked about how fun that was 

18 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Bunch of DFW/Mid-Cities MF'ers in here. 

The Cave was a right of passage - and where a lot of girls from Pampa and Stephenville got a first kiss. 

Grew up about 120 miles away from Six Flags.  One of my junior high classmates dad was a Greyhound Bus driver.  So her hustle would be to organize a charter bus trip to six flags once a year.  The action happened on the bus ride back home.  First time I made out with a girl.  A few others did more "advanced" activities.  If my mother knew what went on...

• Like 1

Spelunker's Cave had two things going for it.

1.  The obvious opportunity to go spelunking in a cave

2. If there were no spelunking opportunities that place felt a million degrees cooler inside and was a good place to deal with some swamp ass on a hot summer day when the El Asseradero (log ride) line was too long.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I know this joint is 98% or better Texas, but as a Florida kid I fondly remember the "A / B / C / D / E - Ticket" days @ the Magic Kingdom.

Y'all can suck it - nothing beats the king of them all, the Real Deal, Holyfield - Walt Disney World in Lake Buena Vista, Florida!

Being from SA, we had to either go to Astroworld or Six Flags. I loved them both equally, but when I was a kid it seemed Six Flags had more “thrill” rides. The Shockwave scared me to death for years, but I’d always ride it. I recall one time I was there with my extended family (about 20 of us) and it was supposed to rain that day. Well, the rain missed SF and we basically had the entire park to ourselves. I rode the Giant 7 times in a row without a line. There were no lines at all, but the staff would still make us get off and go through the long line again...fuckers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Two quick stories as a child of Six Flags.

1.  Spelunker's Cave circa 1984.  Kid got bit by a bat, but left the park before the staff got his info.  For a solid week, there were radio ads on KVIL and others, imploring the kid to get to the doctor because the bat had rabies.  Thinking I may have misremembered or made this story up, I actually found a DMN article on it a couple of years ago.

2.  I was terrified of heights as a child.  Went with a bunch of friends in high school, and was dared to ride The Cliffhanger.  I figure I'll just bite the bullet, close my eyes, and ride.  Much better than being a pussy.  The way the ride works is that you travel to the top, it pauses, it moves forward over the drop, count to three, fall.  We get to the top and the damn thing stops.  We're up there for 15 mins.  Someone finally makes it up the stairs to the top.  I'm freaking out because I'm thinking we're going to have to get out and walk down the stairs.  Anyway, after about 30 mins, the engines roar back to life.  Walkie-talkie dude says everything's cool.  Cage moves out over the edge.  "One...two...three..."  NOTHING.  So, we're over the edge, knowing it's going to drop, but we have no idea when.  We're white-knuckling it for about 5 mins.  Just as we start to relax...BAM.  We drop.  On a positive note, it kind of got me over my fear of heights.  I love roller coasters now.

• Hook 'Em 5

I got stuck for about 15 minutes on the Flashback(?). It was at the very beginning where they pull you back up the hill to gather momentum. That sucked, but fortunately it was at night so we’re weren’t baking in the sun.

Putting a penny on your leg before the Cliffhanger drops you and watching it levitate on the way down was always fun. 

I don't know why we ever stood on the bridge to get soaked by that one water ride that would just completely drench you. No telling how much bacteria was in that water.

My buddy almost got us kicked out the park once for squeezing through the lap bar, standing up, and hitting the sign at the top of the Judge Roy Scream that read "Appeal Denied". 

Anyone remember when the Roaring Rapids boat flipped over and killed a lady on board?

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

A friend and I had season tickets in the late 80s.  He had one of those large, shoulder carried VHS recorders that we would take on the rides.  Nowadays, you can't get on a ride wearing sunglasses or holding a cell phone - and we rode the front of Shockwave and Judge Roy Scream with that huge video recorder.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Putting a penny on your leg before the Cliffhanger drops you and watching it levitate on the way down was always fun. 

I don't know why we ever stood on the bridge to get soaked by that one water ride that would just completely drench you. No telling how much bacteria was in that water.

My buddy almost got us kicked out the park once for squeezing through the lap bar, standing up, and hitting the sign at the top of the Judge Roy Scream that read "Appeal Denied". 

Anyone remember when the Roaring Rapids boat flipped over and killed a lady on board?

Always thought the penny thing was cool as a kid. I remember the hearing about the tube flipping over but don't remember when it happened

Edited by Zepol87

I think it was around 1965 my Sunday School Teacher took a small group of 4th or 5th graders to Six Flags. A couple of the boys had bought some condoms at a gas station rest room earlier that morning on the way to Arlington. About mid afternoon we filled 2 condoms with water and hid them in those roll up hats and made our way to the sky lift.

We were about half way across the park when we looked down and seen these silly looking needs in their little white uniforms and we dropped the condoms filled with water.

We arrived at the other side lift house still laughing our asses off when these security guys with silly looking white suits and hand held radios grabbed us and one of them called someone on his radio and said " We got them in custody". Apparently the guys we dropped the water bombs on were also nerdy teenage security guys.

We were scared shitless and acted like we didn't know what they were talking about and after about 15 minutes they let us go and said not to come back to sky lift.

No more 25¢ condom pranks that day.

Edited by Alex Karev
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have a very vague memory of the death from the Roaring Rapids.  I want to say that it occured relatively early to when the ride first opened.

Anyone remember these:

Roto Disco - rotating ride inside a building.  Pretty cool during Halloween.  It went backward too IIRC.

Spindletop - stand against a wall, cylinder rotates, stick to the wall, floor drops.  Scary the first time.

Spinnaker - 2-person ride in a cage, started out as a quickly rotating ferris wheel, then spun u @ a 90 degree angle.  They have something similar now, but not near as fast or fun.

Btw, Six Flags in Atlanta has a ride similar to The Conquistador, but it actually goes all the way around.

I think the first time I ever went was probably 1966 and at 6 years old I was too short for some of the rides. Pissed off this first grader. Me and Diablo Jr moved to Ft. Worth in the spring of '98, the year Mr Freeze opened up, and we had season passes. We rode the shit out of that ride. 

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I have a very vague memory of the death from the Roaring Rapids.  I want to say that it occured relatively early to when the ride first opened.

Anyone remember these:

Roto Disco - rotating ride inside a building.  Pretty cool during Halloween.  It went backward too IIRC.

Spindletop - stand against a wall, cylinder rotates, stick to the wall, floor drops.  Scary the first time.

Spinnaker - 2-person ride in a cage, started out as a quickly rotating ferris wheel, then spun u @ a 90 degree angle.  They have something similar now, but not near as fast or fun.

Btw, Six Flags in Atlanta has a ride similar to The Conquistador, but it actually goes all the way around.

I remember all of those.  The Roto Disco!  The ride was lame af but the temperature inside was like heaven.

• Hook 'Em 1

If Dante is correct, my ninth circle of hell will be to walk around an amusement park for all of eternity as a form of extraordinary punishment. I fucking hate them, so goddamned much. Doesn't matter which one. Disney, Six Flags, Celebration Station, the ball pit at McDonalds, all hell. 

Six Flags used to do concerts too.. My memory is hazy so could be mis-remembering, but I think I saw Duran Duran out there, and some band like Foreigner or Journey or something. 

I seem to remember Joan Jett playing out there too, but don't think I stayed for that one. 

I'm also now remembering for a while in the early 80s a bunch of the gift shops specialized in heavy metal posters and tshirts.. I particularly remember seeing lots of Ozzy Osbourne stuff for some reason. 

On 8/23/2020 at 1:04 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

da65a2d4d00d6e4da9dbab9d37ecd3f0.jpg

arlington seems to have a history of trying to lure people there from Dallas and ft worth along the turnpike. 

Then there was the Hawaii Kai water park at the Seven Seas location. That didn’t last long, either.

Growing up in D/FW as a kid in the 70s & teen in the 80s, I spent a lot of time at Six Flags over Texas.  The Spinnaker was great to ride double with a chick in front of you with the centrifugal force pushing her into your lap. Also great place  to get handsy if she was down for it.  Before being old enough for real dating and excitement, Six Flags was a great place as a young adolescent to spend the day with friends trying to see if we could find girls to hang out with who were down to make out, then seeing how far they would let you go with them on the dark rides and rides like the Spinnaker where you’re in close quarters. My god, the bullshit stories from those days. Good times. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Then there was the Hawaii Kai water park at the Seven Seas location. That didn’t last long, either.

Growing up in D/FW as a kid in the 70s & teen in the 80s, I spent a lot of time at Six Flags over Texas.  The Spinnaker was great to ride double with a chick in front of you with the centrifugal force pushing her into your lap. Also great place  to get handsy if she was down for it.  Before being old enough for real dating and excitement, Six Flags was a great place as a young adolescent to spend the day with friends trying to see if we could find girls to hang out with who were down to make out, then seeing how far they would let you go with them on the dark rides and rides like the Spinnaker where you’re in close quarters. My god, the bullshit stories from those days. Good times. 

Lol.  I learned this the "hard" way (pun intended) one time in middle school.  Though, it was The Avalanche that did it.  Belinda, from Lancaster, wearing spandex shorts.

Six Flags did have concerts at one point.  One of my very first lasting memories was of being about 3 or 4 and my parents taking me to Six Flags with a nighttime concert.  

Since moving back to DFW 3 years ago, my wife has purchased season tickets for the entire family.  I still ride The Titan 2 or 3 times a visit.  I always black out for a couple of seconds during the corkscrew part.  I may never grow up.  I guess that's why I'm a teacher.  I don't really have to.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BillyBadAss said:

Six Flags used to do concerts too.. My memory is hazy so could be mis-remembering, but I think I saw Duran Duran out there, and some band like Foreigner or Journey or something. 

My first concert was seeing Tanya Tucker at SF.  Mom went with me while the rest of the family lurked in the hotel after a full day of tromping around the place.

Turns out SF has been the source of more than one rite of passage for me.

On 8/23/2020 at 1:32 PM, futureman said:

some of the funnest days of my life were at six flags.  2nd semester senior year of high school my buddy and I had season passes and we skipped school probably 10 times in april and may and would go out and get hammered on cheap whiskey in the parking lot in the morning and rip a huge bowl then go ride the giant for a few hours on repeat because the park was empty.  we’d get stamped and hit the parking lot again and drink more and rip more bowls, then go back in and ride more rides with no lines, leave at 6 and get blacked out in the parking lot and rip more bowls and then stumble across the parking lot to watch the rangers that night and eat about 8 hot dogs.  never forget those days. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 7:25 AM, Hate said:

Being from SA, we had to either go to Astroworld or Six Flags. I loved them both equally, but when I was a kid it seemed Six Flags had more “thrill” rides. The Shockwave scared me to death for years, but I’d always ride it. I recall one time I was there with my extended family (about 20 of us) and it was supposed to rain that day. Well, the rain missed SF and we basically had the entire park to ourselves. I rode the Giant 7 times in a row without a line. There were no lines at all, but the staff would still make us get off and go through the long line again...fuckers.

And now I'm more likely to go to Fiesta Texas than SFoT. Although the charm of SFFT isn't what it used to be, imo.

Growing up my Dad used to work for Dallas Power & Light, and they'd have a company night every fall, so we'd go every year.  It was the best.  I collected those maps they post here.  I have a stack of them but lost track of them.  They're probably at my folks house, if they haven't been thrown out.

My very first trip to SFoT they I remember going to the big skull on the island over a barrel bridge.  I thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen.  I was so bummed when they replace it with Roaring Rapids.  For the longest time I thought the best ride of all was the tram from the parking lot to the front gate.  All the "real" rides had safety bars and seat belts.  But for young Chad, who couldn't even reach the floor with his shoes, and couldn't reach the grips, chugging along on that thing where any bump could toss you onto the pavement was a real brush with death.  Pre-school thrills.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1