Texas RB Talk

LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Scholz said:

I actually get a great morbid satisfaction watching a Mich St/Iowa/Minn type game where the teams run into the middle of the line until one side simply quits.

It is cool when it snows, but that is about it.  Watching MSU play a 13-7 game is good for taking a nap if there are no other games on at that time.

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2020 at 7:49 PM, LTtxfan said:

Really anxious to see how the RB's are rotated this season.  A full year focusing on RB position should really help Roschon...

Texas RB Roschon Johnson Highlight Reel - 2019 Season | Stadium

"Bijan is awesome!" - Katfid

In case yah missed this... 2019 Highlights
Texas RB Keaontay Ingram Highlight Reel  - 2019 Season | Stadium
He got a lot better this year. Ypc went up i believe and it seemed like his receiving was way better. I also may be retarded on his receiving because I can remember the good plays and auto-block the bad ones like I have the last 10 years.

11 hours ago, markstanco said:
13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

He got a lot better this year. Ypc went up i believe and it seemed like his receiving was way better. I also may be retarded on his receiving because I can remember the good plays and auto-block the bad ones like I have the last 10 years.

I blocked this out until rewatching the game last week.

Pac12 after dark is an absolute gem of back and forth madness every week. That will be missed this year. 

The Pac12 does suck, but inevitably every year one of those teams is like 5-1 at one point and gets ranked high just to get slaughtered at home by the last place team in their division on national TV to contribute to the brand of suck. The parity between teams makes every game up for grabs though it's a wild ride every year.

Tom Herman says Texas doesn’t have a starter at RB

Expect to see plenty of carries for Keontay Ingram, Roschon Johnson, and Bijan Robinson.

By Wescott Eberts@SBN_Wescott  Aug 31, 2020, 6:24pm CDT

AUSTIN, Texas — A year ago, the Texas Longhorns were looking at close to a worst-case scenario at running back.  Starter Keontay Ingram suffered a knee injury during the first scrimmage that kept him out of practice and eventually resulted in a slow start to the season. Backup Daniel Young was rehabilitating from an ankle injury. While still recovering from a stroke suffered in February of 2019, signee Derrian Brown wasn’t able to practice. Jordan Whittington was dealing with the lingering effects of groin surgery in high school and ended up lasting less than a half before his season ended. Even walk-on running back Jarrett Smith was out injured.

As a result, Texas had to move freshman quarterback Roschon Johnson to running back during preseason camp, as well as walk-on defensive back Mason Ramirez.

It was a mess.

This year, the situation looks much more positive — other than a hamstring injury that has slowed Ingram, the position group is healthy. And although Young opted out of the season, Texas landed the top Division II rusher from 2019 in Sioux Falls graduate transfer Gabriel Watson.  The signing of the No. 1 running back in 2020, Bijan Robinson out of Arizona, afforded Texas the ability to move Whittington to wide receiver, the position he was recruited to play, as Johnson opted to remain at running back.

Now Stan Drayton’s room has enough healthy talent that Texas head coach Tom Herman isn’t concerned about having a clear-cut starter at running back.   “I know everybody wants to know about depth chart, but running back is one of those positions where I think it’s pretty irrelevant who jogs out with the ones the very first play,” Herman said on Sunday.

So even though Ingram gained 853 yards last season on nearly six yards per carry, expect a rotation at the position, with playing time determined on what specific packages new offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich wants to employ and which player is most effective.

“You know those guys — all three of them — are going to play and play quite a bit and have different packages for them and, and certainly as the game goes on, you’ll get a feel for who’s seeing the game well and who might be having an off night maybe here or there,” Herman said.

Since Ingram is a proven commodity who now ranks among the top 30 running backs in school history with 1,561 rushing yards over two seasons, Herman’s statements speak to the talent at the position.

Johnson quickly adjusted to running back last year, showing impressive one-cut ability and willingness to keep his legs moving on contact to pick up extra yardage. After an offseason training at the position, he’s up to 227 pounds with an improved running back skill set.  He’s still running hard, too, as he reportedly injured middle linebacker Ayodele Adeoye during a drill last week.  In fact, Johnson has been so good that sources told Horns247 that the Port Neches-Groves product is now the team’s best running back.

The buzz around Robinson is equally emphatic. The two-time Arizona Player of the Year, Robinson arrived in Austin physically looking like a much older player and with the maturity to make a quick transition to college football.

Expect a package of plays for him that seek to get him in space to take advantage of the speed and playmaking that causes senior quarterback Sam Ehlinger to want to stand around watching him.

In one clip from practice, Robinson takes a screen pass the distance for a touchdown.

Just after arriving in Austin, a viral video clip shows Robinson demonstrating his fluidity and hands as a pass catcher.

Based on Herman’s comments, it’s clear that the staff is working to provide Robinson opportunities early in the season and based on the projections for UTEP this year, the first chances to make an impact should come in the season opener.

“We’ve got three guys that we feel like we can win with, and they’re all gonna play,” Herman said.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2020/8/31/21409476/texas-longhorns-running-backs-tom-herman-keontay-ingram-roschon-johnson-bijan-robinson

Edited by LTtxfan

36 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Big 10 and Pac 12 are gonna feel pretty silly in a few weeks. I love RoJo. But love KI also. They’re both gonna have 500 yards, and BR will have a lot as well. If we don’t run Jordan too, that’s stupid. We’d be dumb to not go committee because of the plethora of talent we have. 

Oh yes, we have a plethora. 

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Big 10 and Pac 12 are gonna feel pretty silly in a few weeks. 

I love RoJo. But love KI also. They’re both gonna have 500 yards, and BR will have a lot as well. If we don’t run Jordan too, that’s stupid. We’d be dumb to not go committee because of the plethora of talent we have. 

Oh yes, we have a plethora. 

Taking touches away from Bijan Robinson and giving them to a WR would also be stupid. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I want to see what Whittington does with the ball in his hand at running back. What if JW is Ramonce and BR is Jamaal?

JWhitt has been so fragile -- let's play him only at WR in 2020 and hopefully keep him healthy this season...  🙏

30 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

If Roschon is our best RB, and he wasn't a RB until late last year, does that mean that he's just an otherworldly wunderkind or is Ingram just not that good? 

Both Ingram and RoJo are good RBs and getting better 🤘 

Ingram has been out during part of fall camp due to injury/illness.  ( Ingram has been slowed due to both hamstring issues and an upper respiratory infection.)

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

Ingram has more open field wiggle. I'd love to see how he played if he lost weight a la Selvin Young for his sr year.

RoJo is a decisive motherfucker with the ball in his hands that's less likely to make a guy miss than he is to just beat them via angles in the hole. Love his style. Reminds me of ohio st Zeke.

Can't wait to see what Bijan brings to the table

and a part of me still thinks J Whitt is the most talented runner with the ball we have (based on one ridiculous HS tape I saw and I'm holding out hope he doesn't get hurt and shows out)

This team would be unfair in a video game running the ball. We should run a wing T or wishbone lmao

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/1/2020 at 2:18 PM, cam4mav said:

Ingram... RoJo...  Bijan...  J Whitt...

LSU drop notwithstanding, I'd like to see two of these guys in the formation on every snap. One at RB, one at Receiver. One in motion every snap. Would be huge pressure on any D. Bring it, Yurcich.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 8:09 PM, LTtxfan said:

Tom Herman says Texas doesn’t have a starter at RB

Expect to see plenty of carries for Keontay Ingram, Roschon Johnson, and Bijan Robinson.

By Wescott Eberts@SBN_Wescott  Aug 31, 2020, 6:24pm CDT

AUSTIN, Texas — A year ago, the Texas Longhorns were looking at close to a worst-case scenario at running back.  Starter Keontay Ingram suffered a knee injury during the first scrimmage that kept him out of practice and eventually resulted in a slow start to the season. Backup Daniel Young was rehabilitating from an ankle injury. While still recovering from a stroke suffered in February of 2019, signee Derrian Brown wasn’t able to practice. Jordan Whittington was dealing with the lingering effects of groin surgery in high school and ended up lasting less than a half before his season ended. Even walk-on running back Jarrett Smith was out injured.

As a result, Texas had to move freshman quarterback Roschon Johnson to running back during preseason camp, as well as walk-on defensive back Mason Ramirez.

It was a mess.

This year, the situation looks much more positive — other than a hamstring injury that has slowed Ingram, the position group is healthy. And although Young opted out of the season, Texas landed the top Division II rusher from 2019 in Sioux Falls graduate transfer Gabriel Watson.  The signing of the No. 1 running back in 2020, Bijan Robinson out of Arizona, afforded Texas the ability to move Whittington to wide receiver, the position he was recruited to play, as Johnson opted to remain at running back.

Now Stan Drayton’s room has enough healthy talent that Texas head coach Tom Herman isn’t concerned about having a clear-cut starter at running back.   “I know everybody wants to know about depth chart, but running back is one of those positions where I think it’s pretty irrelevant who jogs out with the ones the very first play,” Herman said on Sunday.

So even though Ingram gained 853 yards last season on nearly six yards per carry, expect a rotation at the position, with playing time determined on what specific packages new offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich wants to employ and which player is most effective.

“You know those guys — all three of them — are going to play and play quite a bit and have different packages for them and, and certainly as the game goes on, you’ll get a feel for who’s seeing the game well and who might be having an off night maybe here or there,” Herman said.

Since Ingram is a proven commodity who now ranks among the top 30 running backs in school history with 1,561 rushing yards over two seasons, Herman’s statements speak to the talent at the position.

Johnson quickly adjusted to running back last year, showing impressive one-cut ability and willingness to keep his legs moving on contact to pick up extra yardage. After an offseason training at the position, he’s up to 227 pounds with an improved running back skill set.  He’s still running hard, too, as he reportedly injured middle linebacker Ayodele Adeoye during a drill last week.  In fact, Johnson has been so good that sources told Horns247 that the Port Neches-Groves product is now the team’s best running back.

The buzz around Robinson is equally emphatic. The two-time Arizona Player of the Year, Robinson arrived in Austin physically looking like a much older player and with the maturity to make a quick transition to college football.

Expect a package of plays for him that seek to get him in space to take advantage of the speed and playmaking that causes senior quarterback Sam Ehlinger to want to stand around watching him.

In one clip from practice, Robinson takes a screen pass the distance for a touchdown.

Just after arriving in Austin, a viral video clip shows Robinson demonstrating his fluidity and hands as a pass catcher.

Based on Herman’s comments, it’s clear that the staff is working to provide Robinson opportunities early in the season and based on the projections for UTEP this year, the first chances to make an impact should come in the season opener.

“We’ve got three guys that we feel like we can win with, and they’re all gonna play,” Herman said.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2020/8/31/21409476/texas-longhorns-running-backs-tom-herman-keontay-ingram-roschon-johnson-bijan-robinson

This dude will be unstoppable. Best RB out of hs since Fournette. 

On 9/2/2020 at 2:06 AM, touchthemonolith said:

If Roschon is our best RB, and he wasn't a RB until late last year, does that mean that he's just an otherworldly wunderkind or is Ingram just not that good? 

It means you didn’t watch much football last year. Roschon was our best running back during the LSU game.

• Hook 'Em 2

Pac12 after dark is an absolute gem of back and forth madness every week. That will be missed this year. 
The Pac12 does suck, but inevitably every year one of those teams is like 5-1 at one point and gets ranked high just to get slaughtered at home by the last place team in their division on national TV to contribute to the brand of suck. The parity between teams makes every game up for grabs though it's a wild ride every year.

You can save time and gain sleep by watching the coastal division of the acc.

On 8/24/2020 at 8:45 PM, LTtxfan said:

Thanks for posting, but does anyone think it's funny that we're supposed to enjoy Keaontay highlights when all I can do is stare in horror at the various Kansas/Texas scores on screen?  

On 9/1/2020 at 1:06 PM, touchthemonolith said:

I think consistency is what puts him ahead of Ingram.  Ingram shows great skills in bursts, but those are usually against the weaker opponents on the schedule.  RoJo comes to play each and every week.  Ingram gets in his own head (dropped TD against LSU is my backup here).

Scipio gets into it in the Thinking Texas Football write up, and I have heard Jeff Howe talk about it too, and the stats reflect it.  To be fair, it was the whole offense and not just Ingram, but RoJo came to play no matter what.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think Ingram gets a bad rap around here for struggling during the LSU and OU games.  Over the course of the season he was a really solid back.  Arguably his best game came against Utah who was a Top 10 D.

I, for one, am glad we have him and are able to have this discussion about having 2 backs (Probably 3) that should/could get double digit carries each game

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I think Ingram gets a bad rap around here for struggling during the LSU and OU games.  Over the course of the season he was a really solid back.  Arguably his best game came against Utah who was a Top 10 D.

I, for one, am glad we have him and are able to have this discussion about having 2 backs (Probably 3) that should/could get double digit carries each game

It isn't just OU and LSU.  I had to look it up, but against ISU last year he had 8 carries for 9 yards.  11 carries for 18 yards agains WVU.  That is in addition to LSU ( 10 for 29 yds) and OU (2 for 9 yds) and TT (2 for 17 yds). 

In 2018 against OU in the Big 12 Championship he went 4 attempts for 7 yards, and 13 for 51 yards agains KU.  WVU must have his number because they held him to 30 yards on 13 carries in the 2018 loss.

But I must suffer from selective memory, since Roschon had some pretty forgettable games last year as well.  6 for 18 against ISU, 5 for 9 yards against TCU and 9 for 30 yards against Okie State.

Please sweet baby Jesus let us break the cycle of shit football and actually play well this decade.

Thanks for this @satyanash

(Bobby Burton) Texas vs. UTEP grades: Sam Ehlinger, offense dominates opener

Running back

While Texas didn't dominate on the ground, the running backs were productive. Keaontay Ingram led the way with 44 yards rushing. But the best play of the night was a 20-plus yard run by Roschon Johnson that was negated by off-setting penalties. Freshman Bijan Robinson also got in on the action. He had five carries for 38 yards and was the only RB to catch a pass. He showed a couple of subtle, open field moves that gave us a glimpse of why he's considered a special prospect. Both Johnson and Ingram looked good in pass protection. Robinson was not called upon to do much of that. The Horns could have used another big play or two from the backfield, and that's why I gave the group an ever-so-slight knock on their grade. Regardless, the Horns appear to be in good hands in the backfield this season so long as they stay healthy.

Grade: A-

Thanks @satyanash

(Scipio Tex) 2020 UTEP Post-Mortem: Offense

RB

The three primaries all ran well. It was a true RBBC (running back by committee) and that's what I expect going forward as they combined for 24 total touches (22 carries, 2 Bijan receptions) with no runner getting more than 9. Roschon showed power and a knack for maximizing inside runs, including one Miner helmet decapitation. He also lost a 35 yard run on a questionable holding call. Ingram looked quick and made some nice reads, while also finishing his runs. I also loved his aggression in blitz pickup. Bijan Robinson is a scatback trapped in a 220 pound frame. He made a couple of subtle moves, one on a catch on the sideline, the other on his 29 yard run, that really impressed me. His size conveys a certain geometry to the tackler that his cuts don't honor and it's just not computing in the defender's brain. He'll improve on running through contact, but he looks like the guy anticipated. Longhorn fans are hard-wired to yearn for a single bell cow runner, but there are some merits to a quality herd. Bijan is a freshman, Keaontay needs his load managed, and Roschon will sell snow cones in the stands if he thought it would help us win. Injury and circumstance will give each a chance to shine individually over the course of the season.

As rushers, the three combined for 22 carries for 120 yards and 1 touchdown. This is a good unit. They'll operate within the structure of the offense and you'll see some light box games where they go off and some coverage games that will have them combining for 8 catches.

I grew up with it being called a Bubble, but I believe the preferred spread term is Swing (because Bubbles come from the slot now).

Ingram had some nice blitz pickups that were easy to not notice.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/13/2020 at 11:50 AM, Hmmm said:

Bijan made a play after catching a bubble screen (?) that was so subtle it broke some poor guys ankles who wasn't even close to touching him.  Would love to see that play again.

Hell yeah, good call. I noticed in the game but you reminded me to go back and watch again. 1:20:32 is the play:

He catches the swing and is pretty much faced up 1:1 with a defender with not a lot of room to the sideline. Sets him up with a really subtle look inside immediately eats him up with a cut toward the sideline. Good shit.

On 9/13/2020 at 11:50 AM, Hmmm said:

Bijan made a play after catching a bubble screen (?) that was so subtle it broke some poor guys ankles who wasn't even close to touching him.  Would love to see that play again.

time stamp 6:43

that little head nod inside ended up moving that db about 4 yards out of the play lmao

edit - not noticing basically the exact same reply 30 minutes prior is what I get for having multiple tabs open and not refreshing when I come back

Edited by cam4mav
dumb

On 9/18/2020 at 11:11 AM, LTtxfan said:

Thanks @satyanash 

Humidor:  

I asked about running back Bijan Robinson: They have a lot more tricks for getting him into space. I was reminded of the original plans for Jordan Whittington as a running back who motions out to the slot. That’s still in the playbook, just with Yurcich calling things.

giphy.gif

Is the rest of this posted somewhere?