Texas RB Talk

LTtxfan

Thx for this @satyanash 

(Scipio Tex) 2021 Texas-Rice Postmortem: Offense

RB

Three different Longhorn runners broke 60+ yard runs and four different Texas runners scored. It's hard not to be excited about this running back room.

Bijan: 13-128-3
RoJo: 3-112-1
Robinson: 5-83-1
Brooks: 9-63-1
Watson: 8-33-0

I don't need to extoll the virtues of Bijan, but on review he made some Rice linebackers and safeties whiff in tight quarters that I simply didn't see watching live. Incredible agility and vision. Obviously, his power and contact balance remain his most underappreciated attributes. I freaking love the RoCat.

Out of 13 personnel, no less (3 tight ends, somewhere Joe Gibbs is smiling). If anyone ever asks you what football speed looks like, this is a decent clip to share:

Robinson understands the best way to get vertical quickly is to crease it and not bounce. Jonathon Brooks doesn't test well. He's not that big. But he's good at football. Great eval.

He runs like Marcus Allen. Just smooth, slippery, and seems to paralyze tacklers with his long strides. Gabe Watson ran hard and tough and is as elusive as a Galapagos tortoise with lumbago.

On 9/21/2021 at 7:59 AM, LTtxfan said:

Thx for this @satyanash 

(Scipio Tex) 2021 Texas-Rice Postmortem: Offense

RB

Three different Longhorn runners broke 60+ yard runs and four different Texas runners scored. It's hard not to be excited about this running back room.

Bijan: 13-128-3
RoJo: 3-112-1
Robinson: 5-83-1
Brooks: 9-63-1
Watson: 8-33-0

I don't need to extoll the virtues of Bijan, but on review he made some Rice linebackers and safeties whiff in tight quarters that I simply didn't see watching live. Incredible agility and vision. Obviously, his power and contact balance remain his most underappreciated attributes. I freaking love the RoCat.

Out of 13 personnel, no less (3 tight ends, somewhere Joe Gibbs is smiling). If anyone ever asks you what football speed looks like, this is a decent clip to share:

Robinson understands the best way to get vertical quickly is to crease it and not bounce. Jonathon Brooks doesn't test well. He's not that big. But he's good at football. Great eval.

He runs like Marcus Allen. Just smooth, slippery, and seems to paralyze tacklers with his long strides. Gabe Watson ran hard and tough and is as elusive as a Galapagos tortoise with lumbago.

Love the concept and design on the RoCat. Dont love Bijan channeling his inner fullback and playing lead blocker taking on a LB in the hole vs Rice. RRS, sure. Rice, not so much

I've always been frustrated watching these Texas teams that want to put three or four receivers on the field at once. Get me 2 or 3 running backs out there, because those motherfuckers know what to do once they get the ball in their hands. Too often teams throw a five or ten yarder to a receiver who goes down almost immediately. I loved what we saw from these running backs Saturday. Of all the positive signs on the field, this one tops the list. I hope Sark continues to fully utilize them. We'll be seeing shit we haven't seen around here for twenty years or more. And we'll be seeing more blowouts than we've seen in a long time, some against pretty good teams.

19 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I've always been frustrated watching these Texas teams that want to put three or four receivers on the field at once. Get me 2 or 3 running backs out there, because those motherfuckers know what to do once they get the ball in their hands. Too often teams throw a five or ten yarder to a receiver who goes down almost immediately. I loved what we saw from these running backs Saturday. Of all the positive signs on the field, this one tops the list. I hope Sark continues to fully utilize them. We'll be seeing shit we haven't seen around here for twenty years or more. And we'll be seeing more blowouts than we've seen in a long time, some against pretty good teams.

This! I would love to see us run out of diamond and then motion out of that to receiver sets. Keilon would be a beast slot guy.

1 minute ago, ousux said:
On 6/6/2021 at 6:31 PM, Machinator said:

Speaking of Danny Young, he simply riding the pine for scholarship money? Dude was once in the 3 deep (on an admittedly sparse RB room) but now has all but disappeared? If he doesnt get a carry against Rice, he likely doesnt factor in this season at all.

It’s been difficult to remember specifics of the last 10 years but wasn’t he getting  10ish carries a game in 2017? And I remember him being a hard runner and whatnot. Maybe I’m misremembering but it doesn’t make a shit now. Bijan, Roschon and Robinson are our standard at RB

It’s been difficult to remember specifics of the last 10 years but wasn’t he getting  10ish carries a game in 2017? And I remember him being a hard runner and whatnot. Maybe I’m misremembering but it doesn’t make a shit now. Bijan, Roschon and Robinson are our standard at RB
I know he was one of like 4 covid holdouts last season, but he did get some carries in the spring game iirc. If a player with that much experience is 6th on the depth chart behind a true freshman and only in front of walk-ons..dude should have portaled unless he doesn't see the NFL in his future at all.

9 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Danny was in a RB group with the likes of Kyle Porter, Kirk Johnson and Toneil Carter.  We were desperate for help at that position.  He finished with 386 yards at 4.6 yard per carry with 3 TDs.  Okay for a true freshman, but he was second on the team in rushing next to Sam Ehlinger, if that tells you how dismal our RB situation was back then.

The following season we brought in Tre Watson as a grad transfer, who had 803 rushing yards, followed by heralded true freshman Keontay Ingram with 731 yards.  We didn't need as much from Daniel Young, and he's never been a significant contributor since.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Danny was in a RB group with the likes of Kyle Porter, Kirk Johnson and Toneil Carter.  We were desperate for help at that position.  He finished with 386 yards at 4.6 yard per carry with 3 TDs.  Okay for a true freshman, but he was second on the team in rushing next to Sam Ehlinger, if that tells you how dismal our RB situation was back then.

The following season we brought in Tre Watson as a grad transfer, who had 803 rushing yards, followed by heralded true freshman Keontay Ingram with 731 yards.  We didn't need as much from Daniel Young, and he's never been a significant contributor since.

Yeah I know he didn’t put up elite numbers or anything I just remember him being a hard runner that was difficult to take down. Luckily(or I guess  hopefully)we shouldn’t have to worry about that lack of RB depth for awhile 

• Hook 'Em 1

(Scipio Tex) 2021 Texas-Texas Tech Postmortem: Offense

This just in... Bijan Robinson has now slaughtered more people in space than the entire Alien franchise.

RB

In every Bijan clip where he breaks someone's ankles, I like to imagine the defender saying,"Noooooooooooooooo" in the distorted whistleblower voice in 60 Minutes interviews. Robinson finished with 18 carries for 137 yards and 2 catches for 54 yards and a 39 yard touchdown. If Texas wanted, he could have had a 280+ total yard game, but there are other mouths to feed and other games to play. Also, I don't think #5 cares. The myriad ways he can humiliate a defender (lateral cuts, vicious stiff arms, straight trucking) makes him the most posterizing runner in college football. His backups aren't too shabby either.

RoJo had 13-64 and 2 touchdowns, including another RoCat effort over right tackle led by Bijan and Cade Brewer. Keilan had 4 carries for 42 yards and a score and looked as nifty as last week. Finally, Jonothan Brooks continues to impress with his productive running style. 7 carries, 48 yards, a score.

Thx for this @satyanash

• Hook 'Em 1

Thx for this @satyanash

Scipio Tex postmortem on tcu game

Bijan Robinson hammered the Frogs for 216 yards on 35 carries and caught another 2 passes for 22 yards while notching two touchdowns. As Sark has demonstrated at prior stops, he's not going to shy away from milking his bell cow. Bijan broke 15 tackles in the game and the last six plays run by the Longhorn offense were handoffs to #5. Other than a 27-yard touchdown run that was a Rembrandt, Robinson primarily did his work a few hard yards at a time: making a man miss, refusing first-contact tackles, demonstrating terrific vision, moving the pile, and singlehandedly willing a struggling Texas offense to victory. Here's his longest run:

A terrific job at the point of attack here by Kerstetter and Angilau sealing inside, a less than impressive job by Wiley securing the edge, and a whole lot of Bijan. The two cuts he makes in rapid succession between the 3-5 second marks on that clip are remarkable. A 215 guy should not be able to do that. Watch the two running plays at the end of the game that Texas must absolutely have:

That's heart right there. 

RB

Belaboring Bijan's greatness isn't necessary, so I'll talk Roschon and Keilan. I'm a RoJo fan and love everything he brings, but he didn't run through contact well in this game. 7 carries for 22 yards. He did make up for it with a nice block for Bijan out of 20 personnel where he lit up a TCU linebacker. Keilan moves at a different speed out there and the staff involved him with 2 catches for 13 yards.

On 9/27/2021 at 4:42 PM, LTtxfan said:

(Scipio Tex) 2021 Texas-Texas Tech Postmortem: Offense

This just in... Bijan Robinson has now slaughtered more people in space than the entire Alien franchise.

RB

In every Bijan clip where he breaks someone's ankles, I like to imagine the defender saying,"Noooooooooooooooo" in the distorted whistleblower voice in 60 Minutes interviews. Robinson finished with 18 carries for 137 yards and 2 catches for 54 yards and a 39 yard touchdown. If Texas wanted, he could have had a 280+ total yard game, but there are other mouths to feed and other games to play. Also, I don't think #5 cares. The myriad ways he can humiliate a defender (lateral cuts, vicious stiff arms, straight trucking) makes him the most posterizing runner in college football. His backups aren't too shabby either.

RoJo had 13-64 and 2 touchdowns, including another RoCat effort over right tackle led by Bijan and Cade Brewer. Keilan had 4 carries for 42 yards and a score and looked as nifty as last week. Finally, Jonothan Brooks continues to impress with his productive running style. 7 carries, 48 yards, a score.

Thx for this @satyanash

Little Ricky is the perfect nickname for him.  The only difference was that secondary hoped Ricky would sidestep them instead of deciding his best option was through them.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:55 PM, markstanco said:

That’s called Alabama

That easily could've been us.  Just think if Vince would've come back for one more. I have a feeling that team would've had a nasty chip and would've wrecked anyone put in front of them in the NC game for back to back championships.  Then one play in the last minute in Lubbock - a play that never should have happened if someone would had held on to it for the int when it hit him in the numbers. I think we matched with Fl much better than OU.  Then Colt getting knocked out of the following NC changed that game drastically.  4 NCs within a span of a few years and we could've and probably would've been a whole different monster over the past decade.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thx for this @satyanash 

Scipio Tex:  Postmortem blOU game

Then there’s Bijan:

Wide zone with a little backside constraint blocker. Jake Majors gets a pancake, Angilau does his work, Karic seals the edge beautifully and then…well, that’s just incredible running. Texas was crushing the Sooners in every way conceivable, repeatedly attacking the edges of the Sooner defense to slow down the pass rush, create pause, and force Texas wide outs into single man coverage against OU’s weak secondary on play action.

RB

Bijan was as good as we all expect him to be. 20 carries, 137 yards, 1 touchdown. I’ll defend our use of him for anyone grumbling. Game script. Down and distance was not the Texas offense’s friend in the 2nd half and some attempts to be stubborn with the run were not rewarded other than a 1st and 20 conversion for 33 yards. Bijan had four targets in the passing game and there were a couple of opportunities blown up that could have gone for big yardage.

Edited by LTtxfan